PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com 2005 Outlook: Shingo Takatsu

BridgePortNative
03-10-2005, 08:31 PM
2005 Outlook
Takatsu will get a chance to establish himself as one of the AL's top closers. Teams will have a better scouting report on him, but his strong September showed he doesn't depend on the element of surprise. Look for 30-plus saves and a possible trip to the All-Star Game in Detroit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=7255

zach074
03-10-2005, 08:45 PM
It would be very nice to see Shingo at the allstar game instead of the usuals.

BridgePortNative
03-10-2005, 08:48 PM
It would be something to see Shingo strike out Bonds on his Frisbee. That will be a great highlight of 2005 White Sox

PAPChiSox729
03-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Do we play the Giants this year? Oh wait, you must mean when we clash in the World Series! It would be neat to see Shingo in the All-Star game, going against some of the elite NL sluggers.

RichFitztightly
03-10-2005, 09:37 PM
It would be something to see Shingo strike out Bonds on his Frisbee. That will be a great highlight of 2005 White Sox

Bonds is a lefty and Shingo has always had a tad more trouble with lefties. Pujols perhaps?

Jjav829
03-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Bonds is a lefty and Shingo has always had a tad more trouble with lefties. Pujols perhaps?

I think Pujols might be one of the few hitters in the game that could figure him out quickly.

Now something I think would be fun to see; Shingo vs. Frank. :thumbsup: That would be interesting.

RichFitztightly
03-10-2005, 10:17 PM
I think Pujols might be one of the few hitters in the game that could figure him out quickly.

Now something I think would be fun to see; Shingo vs. Frank. :thumbsup: That would be interesting.

Definitely, I still have vivid recollections of Shingo striking out A-Rod. It was like a 10-12 pitch at bat with a steady diet of frisbees and whatever else he throws at 50mph. He finished him off with an 89mph heater right down the middle and A-Rod just watched the pitch go by, dropped his head and walked back to the dugout.

Simply beautiful.

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Shingo vs. Jim Thome in the 2005 All-Star game... would be a great match up. Thome swings as hard as humanly possible every single time he's up. All of his opposite field homeruns are pitches he was late on. He is an amazing contact hitter and has great power... I'd love to see a hard swinging power hitter like Thome try to hit Shingo.

I remember watching the BoSox series late last season when Shingo appeared to be pitching around ManRam, throwing two quick pitches about center in the left side batters box. ManRam stood there with the bat on his shoulder waiting for his walk and before he knew it, Shingo threw two quick strikes low in the zone and the count was 2-2...

Whether or not other teams have had a chance to scout Shingo is irrelevant. Shingo adapts to his environment on the mound. He finds ways to get guys out. How did he manage to be so wildly successful in Japan for so long??

I recall reading an article earlier in Spring Training (I'll go look fir it) about how he had added 2-3 mph to his fastball putting it around 91-92 mph. mix that with a good sinking slider, frisbee... he's going to do great things this season when he gets save opportunities.

maurice
03-11-2005, 01:01 PM
his strong September showed he doesn't depend on the element of surprise.

Very nice. The Chicago media keeps reporting that the league caught up with Takatsu because his August stats were bad (despite an extemely small sample size). These articles uniformly ignore the fact that his September numbers were very good, completely undermining their conclusion.

Typical cub fans. They think the MLB season ends in August just because the cubs' season almost always ends in August.

Iwritecode
03-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Typical cub fans. They think the MLB season ends in August just because the cubs' season almost always ends in August.

That's a great quote. :D:

na_na_na_na
03-11-2005, 01:37 PM
If Shingo can maintain his performance from last season he can easily become the best move KW ever made.

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Shingo vs. Jim Thome in the 2005 All-Star game... would be a great match up. Thome swings as hard as humanly possible every single time he's up. All of his opposite field homeruns are pitches he was late on. He is an amazing contact hitter and has great power... I'd love to see a hard swinging power hitter like Thome try to hit Shingo.

I remember watching the BoSox series late last season when Shingo appeared to be pitching around ManRam, throwing two quick pitches about center in the left side batters box. ManRam stood there with the bat on his shoulder waiting for his walk and before he knew it, Shingo threw two quick strikes low in the zone and the count was 2-2...

Whether or not other teams have had a chance to scout Shingo is irrelevant. Shingo adapts to his environment on the mound. He finds ways to get guys out. How did he manage to be so wildly successful in Japan for so long??

I recall reading an article earlier in Spring Training (I'll go look fir it) about how he had added 2-3 mph to his fastball putting it around 91-92 mph. mix that with a good sinking slider, frisbee... he's going to do great things this season when he gets save opportunities.You guys are looking too far ahead. I'm just looking forward to opening day. I want to see M-Bur blowing away V-Mart, Coco, Juan-Gon, T-Haf and B-Brou. I just hope ARow, S-Pod, P-Kon and AJ can put up some RBI. Maybe if J-West starts throwing some BP we can get a few HR and come out with a W.:D:

BridgePortNative
03-11-2005, 02:05 PM
You guys are looking too far ahead. I'm just looking forward to opening day. I want to see M-Bur blowing away V-Mart, Coco, Juan-Gon, T-Haf and B-Brou. I just hope ARow, S-Pod, P-Kon and AJ can put up some RBI. Maybe if J-West starts throwing some BP we can get a few HR and come out with a W.:D:
:kneeslap:

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry, but..... ManRam is about the worse nickname, ever. Thanks, Jim Rome.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-11-2005, 02:53 PM

Actually Shingo already faced Jim Thome last year when the Phils were in town for interleague play. In his only at bat vs. Takatsu, Thome blasted a two run homer.

To no one's surprise on this message board, Thome is a sox killer.
Career
.295 Avg
41 HR
107 RBI
all in only 122 games vs. the Sox.

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Actually Shingo already faced Jim Thome last year when the Phils were in town for interleague play. In his only at bat vs. Takatsu, Thome blasted a two run homer.

To no one's surprise on this message board, Thome is a sox killer.
Career
.295 Avg
41 HR
107 RBI
all in only 122 games vs. the Sox.

Damn, and I missed it... big Thome fan... would've loved to have seen it.

Stroker Ace
03-11-2005, 05:42 PM
2005 Outlook
Takatsu will get a chance to establish himself as one of the AL's top closers. Teams will have a better scouting report on him, but his strong September showed he doesn't depend on the element of surprise. Look for 30-plus saves and a possible trip to the All-Star Game in Detroit.

Gotta agree with that.

PAPChiSox729
03-11-2005, 10:14 PM
2005 Outlook

I think that Shingo will notch 30+ saves this season and prove all of his critics wrong. But guys like Rivera, Nathan, Foulke, and K-Rod will probably keep Shingo out of the ASG. I think our representative will probably be Konerko or Rowand.