PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik mentioned as a "drifter" in MLB.com article

DiGiSyKo
03-10-2005, 05:26 PM
I didn't see this posted yet, but there's an article about some MLB players that have had numerous stops in different baseball cities... and Podsednik is one of the players.

linky: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050309&content_id=962676&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

"The Chicago White Sox outfielder was a third-round draft pick of the Texas Rangers in 1994, then was stifled by injuries in a minor-league career that saw him pick up frequent flyer miles to Hudson Valley, Brevard City, Kane County, Charlotte, Tulsa and Tacoma.

Podsednik finally broke into the Majors with the Seattle Mariners in 2001 but was waived and picked up by Milwaukee.

In 2002, Podsednik batted .314 for the Brewers, stole 43 bases and finished second to Florida pitcher Dontrelle Willis in a close Rookie of the Year vote. He led the Majors in steals last year with 70.

"I never gave up because I knew I had the ability," Podsednik says. "I thought about hanging it up, but the only reason for that was injuries. I couldn't keep my body healthy. I sat back and looked at it and I felt I had the ability to play in the big leagues."

SluggersAway
03-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Pods gets a clean slate here. I hope he continues his ST success.

jordan23ventura
03-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Pods gets a clean slate here. I hope he continues his ST success.

I think he will. I don't know why so many people think its a stretch to revert to 2003 form in terms of batting average. I would honestly be surprised if he hits less than .300.

Everyone always says speed never goes into slumps. Well, thats the type of player he is. Slap hits through the holes, bunt singles, etc. is what Pods is all about. He doesn't have to kill the ball, he just has to hit it in the right spot, even very weakly, and leg out a hit. If he could hit over .310 in Milwaukee in the NL central which has much better pitching, why can't he go even further in the pitching-weak AL central?

I'll be the first to go on record to predict a .315 or higher BA as long as he stays healthy. 50 SB's shouldn't be a problem. Law's record will die.

MUsoxfan
03-11-2005, 12:38 AM
http://www.petcaretips.net/royHobbs_BBCard.jpg

This guy got a late start as well. I just want to translate Hobbs HR's into Pods runs

HomeFish
03-11-2005, 01:44 AM
I think he will. I don't know why so many people think its a stretch to revert to 2003 form in terms of batting average.

Well, there is the fact that he managed such numbers only once in his career.

Talk about how he tried to hit homers all you want, but baseball is full of players who have had one good year and never replicated it.

That said, the fact that he stole so many bases while hitting worse than .250 is impressive.

Foulke You
03-11-2005, 11:41 AM
I have a lot of confidence that Pods will have at least a .275 avg this year. Greg Walker is a great hitting coach and seems to have an eye for finding weaknesses or flaws in swings. From what I understand, Podsednik had an uppercut swing in Milwaukee last year but I haven't seen one swing yet in ST where it looked like he was trying to uppercut a home run. Swing seems nice and level and more of a contact approach which is what we need out of him.

My biggest worry is that Podsednik gets a couple dingers at Comiskey early and then alters his swing to try and take advantage of the ballpark playing small. He needs to keep the same approach day in and day out.

hold2dibber
03-11-2005, 05:09 PM
I think he will. I don't know why so many people think its a stretch to revert to 2003 form in terms of batting average. I would honestly be surprised if he hits less than .300.

Everyone always says speed never goes into slumps. Well, thats the type of player he is. Slap hits through the holes, bunt singles, etc. is what Pods is all about. He doesn't have to kill the ball, he just has to hit it in the right spot, even very weakly, and leg out a hit. If he could hit over .310 in Milwaukee in the NL central which has much better pitching, why can't he go even further in the pitching-weak AL central?

I'll be the first to go on record to predict a .315 or higher BA as long as he stays healthy. 50 SB's shouldn't be a problem. Law's record will die.

I've got no problem with optimism, but I think cautious optimism, not blind optimism, is appropriate here. Why do so many people think it is a stretch for Pods to revert to '03 form in terms of BA? Well, because he never hit nearly that well before in the minors, to say nothing of the majors. Also, the guy is nearly 30 years old - its not like he's some young buck just learning the game. Finally, speed alone obviously doesn't make a good hitter. Everything you said about Pods and his hitting would apply to a ton of other speedsters, like Willie Harris, Julio Ramirez, Dave Roberts, etc., etc., none of whom have ever been very successful major league hitters. I'm not saying Pods won't hit .300 (or close to it), but people who blindly believe he'll be great without acknowledging that there are reasons to be suspect, are being delusional.