PDA

View Full Version : Speed and defense

bigredrudy
03-10-2005, 01:24 PM
I watched Dye play in Oakland last year and the thing that stood out was Dye's lack of speed. I thought I must be mistaken but when I watched him on TV yesterday I came to the same conclusion. Dye used to be better than Ordonez in the field but I think that is no longer the case. I think the defense you gain in left field with Podsednik will be offset by Dye in right I think Dye is close to being a DH. With all the outfielders the Sox have I think this signing might be a mistake. At least his signing should have been limited to one year. I think all of the young Sox outfielders are better defensively than Dye.

Palehose13
03-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Which Ordonez are you comparing him to...pre or post injury?

Time will tell about the signing, but I would rather have Dye in the line up than Borchard and I would rather have Dye in RF than Gload.

TomParrish79
03-10-2005, 01:54 PM
I just had flashbacks of Gload in the outfield from last year, I had completely blocked that terrible site out of my mind.

mcfish
03-10-2005, 01:57 PM
I watched Dye play in Oakland last year and the thing that stood out was Dye's lack of speed. I thought I must be mistaken but when I watched him on TV yesterday I came to the same conclusion. Dye used to be better than Ordonez in the field but I think that is no longer the case. I think the defense you gain in left field with Podsednik will be offset by Dye in right I think Dye is close to being a DH. With all the outfielders the Sox have I think this signing might be a mistake. At least his signing should have been limited to one year. I think all of the young Sox outfielders are better defensively than Dye.Dye is not replacing Ordonez, Dye is replacing Timo, Borchard, Gload, Willie, and Burke. The signing was really cheap and for only 2 years and we have Carl Everett in the event that it doesn't work out by the time Frank comes back. There is nothing about the signing that was a mistake - good player coming off an injury for cheap (as opposed to Ordonez for 15 million). If it works out, KW's a genius, if it doesn't, it really doesn't set the team back too much.

jordan23ventura
03-10-2005, 10:28 PM
I applaud the Dye signing because now the Sox have big depth in the big leagues and nice depth in Charlotte. I know everyone seems to be down on Borch, but he's shown some signs of life so far and when you add Sweeney and Anderson to the mix along with Everett on the bench, you have many options.

One thing that intrigues me about this season is that JR has already said there will be money available around the trade deadline, which is very encouraging. You figure, we have 4 ML outfielders who can produce, 5 ML starting pitchers, and a young stud waiting in the wings. If BMac can continue his progress, KW can do a number of things here if we need extra help. He can trade an outfielder (assuming Frank comes back in good shape), or he can bring up McCarthy and either send a guy like Contreras to the bullpen and trade a setup guy, or bring BMac into the rotation and trade a SP for an area of need.

I really like the way this is starting to shape up. We have promising young guys only a year or two, if that, from being ML ready and several contracts expiring after 2006. Good job, Kenny.

SouthBendSox
03-10-2005, 10:41 PM
dye will be a disaster

seriously

jordan23ventura
03-10-2005, 10:44 PM
dye will be a disaster

seriously

And you base this on....?

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 12:34 PM
I just had flashbacks of Gload in the outfield from last year, I had completely blocked that terrible site out of my mind.

I was at the game at Wrigley last season when Gload's grand slam was called back. On the next pitch he saw, he yanked a two-run double to right-center. Then, in the bottom half of the same inning, dropped a fly ball with the bases loaded, cancelling out his two RBIs.

Scary... I still have nightmares about that game. Loaiza wasn't throwing over 87 mph. Thank goodness the 2005 season is here already.

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 12:36 PM
dye will be a disaster

...for the opponents. Dye rocks when he's healthy. For 4 million, its worth the risk. Would you rather pay Magglio 15 million and watch him limp around in the dugout?

baseball_fanatic
03-11-2005, 12:39 PM
If Dye can return to the form he showed before he suffered through a couple of injury plagued seasons it will be an excellent pick-up. At one time Dye was a wonderful combintation of power and speed. Injuries may have robbed him of some of that speed, but he cans till be a very good player if healthy.

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 12:43 PM
If Dye can return to the form he showed before he suffered through a couple of injury plagued seasons it will be an excellent pick-up. At one time Dye was a wonderful combintation of power and speed. Injuries may have robbed him of some of that speed, but he cans till be a very good player if healthy.

Anyway, Dye is a stop gap until Sweeney/Anderson/Oewns is ready for big league ball (same goes for pods)... If Dye stinks up the Cell, we have a few options that we didn't have last year. Anderson looks ready to me from what I've seen in ST. But I like that they aren't rushing him, or any of their young outfielders.

balke
03-11-2005, 01:00 PM
I see nothing wrong with Dye. I didn't like him in Oakland last season, but that doesn't mean he can't have a good season with us. He already made a couple of good plays in the field, and its only ST.

A lot of predictions I've read comparing our park to Oakland's all say that Dye's stats could increase by 20%, and most likely will.

Ordonez = Overpayed. Even with his skill, we could have a Dye, and a a 10 million dollar pitcher like Radke. So long Maggs. Wasted so much or our money last year.