PDA

View Full Version : Hey PHG

Iwritecode
10-30-2001, 02:55 PM
Or anyone else who might know...

I remember having something at the begining of the year where we were to try and guess the season stats for the players. I'm pretty sure it was while we were still at Rivals. Whatever happened with the results of that?

Also, will we do the same thing next year?

Jerry_Manuel
10-30-2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I remember having something at the begining of the year where we were to try and guess the season stats for the players. I'm pretty sure it was while we were still at Rivals. Whatever happened with the results of that?

Also, will we do the same thing next year?

I'll handle this.
There was a contest at the start of the year to predict how Frank would do, how many wins, etc. The data net wise was lost when rivals shut down. I was in charge of putting the predictions on the site (rivals) so I had to print each prediction. Up until 2 months ago I had all the predicitions, but George said that results wouldn't be posted. So I threw them away, figures now everyone wants to know. I don't see any reason why we wouldn't run the contest again. Except, we won't lose the predictions this time.
:)

Iwritecode
10-30-2001, 04:33 PM
Thanks Jerry. I thought the story went something like that. I wasn't sure though. I guess considering most of the guys we made predections for were either injured or traded, it wouldn't have made much sense anyway.

FarWestChicago
10-30-2001, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I don't see any reason why we wouldn't run the contest again. Except, we won't lose the predictions this time.
:) I'll hack together something that stores it all in a database with your Clubhouse name.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-30-2001, 04:50 PM
As Jerry pointed out, the data was sent to him last March, summarized, and uploaded at Rivals. I never had the data. All the files uploaded at Rivals were lost when the servers went dark. (The site we have today is largely built on the files I saved on disks and my hard drive from Rivals).

The only remnants of that preseason poll are whatever hard copies Jerry saved. Most of them were tossed. As I recall, most of the predictions were way out there. 95+ wins, Frank with 150 rbi's, etcetera. It would have been good for laughs.

We'll definitely have another preseason poll next spring. It's a tradition!

Jerry_Manuel
10-30-2001, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I guess considering most of the guys we made predections for were either injured or traded, it wouldn't have made much sense anyway.

I recall one of the questions asked was:
"How many saves for Bob Howry?"

Maybe next year we should ask:
"How many games will Bob Howry blow?"

cheeses_h_rice
10-30-2001, 05:20 PM
I seem to recall my prediction of 92 wins being on the very low end of what most folks were predicting (several picked 100+ for the Sox...if only). BMR and I were just a few "voices of reason," though we certainly had no inkling of what fate had in store for us this year.

czalgosz
10-30-2001, 07:23 PM
Hey, I had the $1 bid on both Frank Thomas's performance ( I think I said .308 or something) and I was towards the bottom on # of Sox wins (I said 89, I think, and I also said that would be enough to win the division)

Damn, I know that I would be drinking that Falstaff right now if that stuff had been saved...

CLR01
10-31-2001, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I recall one of the questions asked was:
"How many saves for Bob Howry?"

Maybe next year we should ask:
"How many games will Bob Howry blow?"

Hey don't forget:

How many game winning hits will Chris Singleton have?

and

How many times will Chris Singleton win PTC honors?

FarWestChicago
10-31-2001, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Hey don't forget:

How many game winning hits will Chris Singleton have?

and

How many times will Chris Singleton win PTC honors?

:slowswing

Don't forget "what brand of cork will I use?" I use Albert Belle brand cork. It's the finest in all the land!

CLR01
10-31-2001, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

Don't forget "what brand of cork will I use?" I use Albert Belle brand cork. It's the finest in all the land!

"I am looking into replacing the cork in my bat with a titanium insert. The ball should travel twice as far."

FarWestChicago
10-31-2001, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

"I am looking into replacing the cork in my bat with a titanium insert. The ball should travel twice as far."

Aluminum is just so '90's. Jet fighter grade titanium is the only way to go!