PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Giambi signs with White Sox

guillen4life13
03-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Jeremy, that is. He is projected to go to AAA Charlotte.

Linky: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050309&content_id=963129&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

The blurb on it is near the bottom.

I didn't see this posted yet, so hopefully it's not a redone thread, but yeah. I thought this was just interesting.

Clembasbal
03-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Well, if we never had anybody on 'roids...we do now.

Daver
03-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Well, if we never had anybody on 'roids...we do now.

Jose Canseco was on the roster in 2003............

Jjav829
03-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Hey, anyone who goes to a Charlotte game, I have a message for you to give Jeremy. Tell him I said, "SLIDE!!! damnit." :D:

The only Jeremy Giambi memory I have is this dope not sliding and giving the Jeter-loving media more fodder to overhype him with.

mike squires
03-09-2005, 11:14 PM
This seems like a late 80's move. I guess if he catches fire and someone goes down then great but not sure why we are investing in a guy like this. Must have come pretty cheap. Will he get any Spring training action?

samram
03-09-2005, 11:52 PM

As was Armando Rios.

batmanZoSo
03-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Great, we get the pothead Giambi. Oh wait, is that better or worse than the steroid/intestinal parasite Giambi?

Chisox_cali
03-09-2005, 11:56 PM

I think you mean 2001

santo=dorf
03-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Marvin Benard was released last ST shortly after his name was released in the BALCO scandal.

HITMEN OF 77
03-10-2005, 01:02 AM
Wow, great deal. This makes it easier for our players to aquire roids now.

Stroker Ace
03-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Just when I thought the Sox were 'roid free.

DaleJRFan
03-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Jeremy, that is. He is projected to go to AAA Charlotte.

Linky: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050309&content_id=963129&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

The blurb on it is near the bottom.

I didn't see this posted yet, so hopefully it's not a redone thread, but yeah. I thought this was just interesting.

ugh... WHY? The talk's about trading Joe Borchard away, then sign Jeremy Giambi. I don't get it.

shoota
03-10-2005, 05:13 AM
Marvin Benard was released last ST shortly after his name was released in the BALCO scandal.

We also had accused steroids users Sammy Sosa and Wilson Alvarez on our team, but they likely weren't using during their time with the Sox.

That brings the known accused Sox users to:
Jose Canseco
Armando Rios
Marvin Bernard
Sammy Sosa
Wilson Alvarez
Jeremy Giambi

Complete speculation on Billy Koch, too. Though if he did use, we damn well know that he didn't use when he was with us!

hose
03-10-2005, 07:09 AM
The vendor that yells HOT DOGS has to be on the juice . People driving down the Ryan are distracted by this guys booming voice.

Realist
03-10-2005, 07:24 AM
The vendor that yells HOT DOGS has to be on the juice . People driving down the Ryan are distracted by this guys booming voice.

Hey... as long as he isn't still slammin' the friggin' door on his metal hot dog carrier in my friggin' ear anymore. I gots me some isle seats and he used to make me jump outta my skin. :redneck

Ol' No. 2
03-10-2005, 09:24 AM
I think you mean 2001Canseco was with the Sox in 2003.

dickallen15
03-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Canseco was with the Sox in 2003.

Canseco's last year in the majors was 2001 when he filled in for Thomas, who was injured a lot more seriously than his teammate at the time, David Wells, thought.

crazyozzie02
03-10-2005, 09:59 AM
This gives us a little bit of insurance at least. If anything it will help us a little bit if someone goes down and we need a guy on the bench that can sort-of help us as a pinch hitter even though he doesnt have great career numbers (.263 batting average lifetime) This is just my opinion, but maybe he might be able to come back and give us some mote power. If anyhting it helps our minor leauge system. (trade bate) let the bashing of me begin. :(:

Ol' No. 2
03-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Canseco's last year in the majors was 2001 when he filled in for Thomas, who was injured a lot more seriously than his teammate at the time, David Wells, thought.Damn. You're right. Where did the time go?

03-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Here's the final peice to the puzzle! ALC look out, cause here we come! I doubt we ever see him up here unless the Sox have a slew of freak injuries.

Ol' No. 2
03-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Here's the final peice to the puzzle! ALC look out, cause here we come! I doubt we ever see him up here unless the Sox have a slew of freak injuries.Even at that, we'd probably be better off with Joe Borchard. Giambi didn't play at all last year and hit .197 in 50 games for the Red Sox in 2003. At least Borchard MIGHT get better. Giambi's been getting worse.

Tekijawa
03-10-2005, 10:54 AM

Are you talking about that Little Asain lady Hot dog vendor?

MIgrenade
03-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey, anyone who goes to a Charlotte game, I have a message for you to give Jeremy. Tell him I said, "SLIDE!!! damnit." :D:

The only Jeremy Giambi memory I have is this dope not sliding and giving the Jeter-loving media more fodder to overhype him with.

Wasnt that Jason?

Jjav829
03-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Wasnt that Jason?

Nope, Jeremy. (http://www.mrmworld.com/images/derekjeterflip16X20photo.jpg)

Clembasbal
03-10-2005, 12:14 PM
My mind cramped out on me...I mean to say that we have an accused guy on 'roids NOW. Putting never is just stupid on my part, heck I read "Juiced" cover to cover the first day it came out...you would think I would recall a part of it.

Bobby Thigpen
03-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Are you talking about that Little Asain lady Hot dog vendor?

I always feel so bad for that lady. She always is so quite, and always seems so timid and depressed. I've never bought a hot dog from her, but I've thought about giving her some money just to see her smile.

Sad
03-10-2005, 12:53 PM
yea- and she's small-framed.... you think they'd have her totin' something smaller than a big metal box 'o Dogs :(:

Foulke You
03-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Is it possible that this Giambi move was done with the minor league affiliate in mind? Perhaps they were an outfielder short and needed someone to fill in the blank in Charlotte? I guess he could be looked at as an extreme emergency backup assuming guys like Posdednik, Timo, and Dye all go down with injuries. If that happens, our season is over anyway so I guess it wouldn't matter if Jeremy Giambi was playing outfield for us. This is a curious move though.:?:

StillMissOzzie
03-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey... as long as he isn't still slammin' the friggin' door on his metal hot dog carrier in my friggin' ear anymore. I gots me some isle seats and he used to make me jump outta my skin. :redneck

Do you mean aisle seats or do you really have tickets on an island?

SMO
:D:

I want Mags back
03-10-2005, 06:15 PM
[/url]Hey, anyone who goes to a Charlotte game, I have a message for you to give Jeremy. Tell him I said, "SLIDE!!! damnit." :D:

[url="http://www.angelfire.com/oh/daman70/images/cbg.jpg"]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:PhZMdCVzGR4J:http://www.angelfire.com/oh/daman70/images/cbg.jpg (http://www.angelfire.com/oh/daman70/images/cbg.jpg) Worst Play at the Plate EVER!!

I want Mags back
03-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Canseco was with the Sox in 2003.

It was definatly '01 because I remember seeing him wearing the 1917 uni's they wore on sunays during the 100th anniversary

NardiWasHere
03-10-2005, 06:30 PM
:JB

James Baldwin says Jeremy Giambi is bad.

PAPChiSox729
03-10-2005, 07:22 PM
This gives us a little bit of insurance at least. If anything it will help us a little bit if someone goes down and we need a guy on the bench that can sort-of help us as a pinch hitter even though he doesnt have great career numbers (.263 batting average lifetime) This is just my opinion, but maybe he might be able to come back and give us some mote power. If anyhting it helps our minor leauge system. (trade bate) let the bashing of me begin. :(:

I would rather see Burke up here and on the bench rather then roid-less Giambi, though I doubt that Jeremy will ever be on a major league roster again.

Lip Man 1
03-10-2005, 07:34 PM
According to the White Sox media guide, Canseco only played with the Sox in 2001 when he was signed to replace Thomas.

As far as Jeremy Giambi, I think he was signed because doesn't he have some sort of ungodly on base percentage? I think he actually lead off for the A's at times. Williams is looking for options if the Sox struggle getting guys on base and RBI's.

Lip

Paulwny
03-10-2005, 07:45 PM
According to the White Sox media guide, Canseco only played with the Sox in 2001 when he was signed to replace Thomas.

As far as Jeremy Giambi, I think he was signed because doesn't he have some sort of ungodly on base percentage? I think he actually lead off for the A's at times. Williams is looking for options if the Sox struggle getting guys on base and RBI's.

Lip

This maybe another try at "catching lightening in a bottle".
Lip, we've seen it before.

WhiteSoxNation
03-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Nice, he'll PH or something, hopefully wont need to play much if Dye stays healthy

JUribe1989
03-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Can't hurt to do this. We don't have to bring him up if we don't want and if multiple guys were to get hurt which I sincerely doubt, we could bring him up and give him a minor shot. Maybe he could pull a Loaiza and catch lightning in a bottle as someone else mentioned. By the way, does anyone know what team he is on in MVP Baseball 2005 or ESPN 2K5, I can't find him anywhere.

wdelaney72
03-10-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm sure this cost MINIMAL money. He probably won't even make the roster, so...
:whocares

Dadawg_77
03-11-2005, 12:07 AM
He suffered a back injury last year. If that is healed, he could be a solid performer He only had 20 or so games in the minor last year. And Lip his OBP is pretty good in the .370's and that is something the Sox could use this year. No downside but could be a big upside, nice little move.

Dadawg_77
03-11-2005, 12:08 AM
Can't hurt to do this. We don't have to bring him up if we don't want and if multiple guys were to get hurt which I sincerely doubt, we could bring him up and give him a minor shot. Maybe he could pull a Loaiza and catch lightning in a bottle as someone else mentioned. By the way, does anyone know what team he is on in MVP Baseball 2005 or ESPN 2K5, I can't find him anywhere.

He was with the LA organization last year.

MRKARNO
03-11-2005, 12:17 AM
He suffered a back injury last year. If that is healed, he could be a solid performer He only had 20 or so games in the minor last year. And Lip his OBP is pretty good in the .370's and that is something the Sox could use this year. No downside but could be a big upside, nice little move.

He probably would make a better backup outfielder than Timo, though he cant play center (Harris can, so that may not be a real issue). If he could get back to his previous levels, I wouldnt have any problems seeing him start once a week or so.

SoxxoS
03-11-2005, 12:26 AM
He probably would make a better backup outfielder than Timo, though he cant play center (Harris can, so that may not be a real issue). If he could get back to his previous levels, I wouldnt have any problems seeing him start once a week or so.

I am sorry, but this hating on Timo just doesn't make sense. The guy hit like .370 with RISP last year...can run and play good D. What else do you want. Hitting with RISP is probably the most important stat in looking at a 4th outfielder.

Dadawg_77
03-11-2005, 12:29 AM
I am sorry, but this hating on Timo just doesn't make sense. The guy hit like .370 with RISP last year...can run and play good D. What else do you want. Hitting with RISP is probably the most important stat in looking at a 4th outfielder.

I don't know how about hitting when at the plate? He won't repeat his RISP performance this year and this is all about the 2005 Sox not the 2004 Sox.

santo=dorf
03-11-2005, 12:37 AM
I don't know how about hitting when at the plate? He won't repeat his RISP performance this year and this is all about the 2005 Sox not the 2004 Sox.
Based on what?

Did you bother to look at his career numbers?

Career RISP:
289 AB
.318 AVG
.350 OBP
3 HR
125 RBI
20 BB
28 K

men on two outs: .289 BA, .710 OPS
man on third less than two outs: .462 BA, .990 OPS

How does Giambi's defense compare to Timo's? Don't bother.

RichFitztightly
03-11-2005, 12:38 AM

Whoa man... what's wrong with Timo. He's one of the best 4th outfielders in the business. He has a sniper's cannon for an arm, can hit well in the clutch, and hits well off the bench.

What else is there?

HomeFish
03-11-2005, 12:59 AM
What else is there?

He's a joy on the basepaths, unless you're Carlos Zambrano.

maurice
03-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Prediction: Giambi Jr. lights it up in a small ballpark in Charlotte and gets traded in a mid-season deal for younger minor-leaguers.

wdelaney72
03-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Timo is a dream utility outfielder. His performance last year speaks for itself.

Let's consider this, who would you rather see on the roster, LTP or a roid-less Jeremy Giambi?

Scary thought, but I'll take Jeremy Giambi based on OBP alone.

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Timo is a dream utility outfielder. His performance last year speaks for itself.

Let's consider this, who would you rather see on the roster, LTP or a roid-less Jeremy Giambi?

Scary thought, but I'll take Jeremy Giambi based on OBP alone.Giambi had more BB than hits the last two seasons he played. How long do you think he can keep that up? Giambi's done.

Dadawg_77
03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Based on what?

Did you bother to look at his career numbers?

Career RISP:
289 AB
.318 AVG
.350 OBP
3 HR
125 RBI
20 BB
28 K

men on two outs: .289 BA, .710 OPS
man on third less than two outs: .462 BA, .990 OPS

How does Giambi's defense compare to Timo's? Don't bother.

Look at fluctuation in his number, 2003 with RSIP, .273/.301/.351. A hitter's numbers in situations like RISP are not stable with great fluctuations year to year. Odds are Timo doesn't repeat his 2004 preformance with RISP.

Timo is a replacement level player whose defensive has been declining since his rookie year. For a million dollars he is a waste of money.

Dadawg_77
03-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Giambi had more BB than hits the last two seasons he played. How long do you think he can keep that up? Giambi's done.

Walks are more stable through out the years then hits are and a hitters eye is one last skills to fade so he has a decent shot to keep his walks up.

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Walks are more stable through out the years then hits are and a hitters eye is one last skills to fade so he has a decent shot to keep his walks up.But if he can't hit, pitchers are going to go right after him. Those BB are going to drop like a stone. Stick a fork in him. He was a AAA player that got to the bigs on steroids.

SOXSINCE'70
03-11-2005, 03:29 PM

Had he slid,the A's would have lost in 7 to the D-Backs.:smile: :smile:

Dadawg_77
03-11-2005, 03:29 PM
But if he can't hit, pitchers are going to go right after him. Those BB are going to drop like a stone. Stick a fork in him. He was a AAA player that got to the bigs on steroids.

Jeremy Giambi never struck fear into hearts of opposing pitchers with .430 slugging percentage. There is more to get walked then pitcher pitching around.

Look at his 2004 numbers a Royce Clayton .197 average but a .342 OBP in about 150 PA.

SOXSINCE'70
03-11-2005, 03:33 PM

My friend and I can hear him a mile away.You're not wrong.:angry: :angry:

Chisox003
03-11-2005, 03:48 PM
My friend and I can hear him a mile away.You're not wrong.:angry: :angry:

I actually saw him and another beer vendor injecting each other in the employee locker-room....Couldnt tell if they were voice enhancing steroids though

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Jeremy Giambi never struck fear into hearts of opposing pitchers with .430 slugging percentage. There is more to get walked then pitcher pitching around.

Look at his 2004 numbers a Royce Clayton .197 average but a .342 OBP in about 150 PA.It's not a matter of being pitched around. But if you can't hit for power and you can't hit for average, pitchers aren't going to try to paint the corners or try to trick you with fancy breaking stuff - they're just going to throw their best pitch and dare you to hit it. Giambi can't.

mikehuff
03-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Maybe we hold Jeremy hostage until Jason returns that MVP award to Frank?

wdelaney72
03-11-2005, 04:37 PM
It's not a matter of being pitched around. But if you can't hit for power and you can't hit for average, pitchers aren't going to try to paint the corners or try to trick you with fancy breaking stuff - they're just going to throw their best pitch and dare you to hit it. Giambi can't.

Based on your previous response to my post, I'm not starting construction on the Jeremy Giambi wing in Cooperstown, I simply said I'd rather have him over Borchard.

I agree, Jeremy Giambi sucks, and will likely not be up at the big leagues, but the same can be said for Mr. "I suck so bad I got cut in the Mexican league".

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Based on your previous response to my post, I'm not starting construction on the Jeremy Giambi wing in Cooperstown, I simply said I'd rather have him over Borchard.

I agree, Jeremy Giambi sucks, and will likely not be up at the big leagues, but the same can be said for Mr. "I suck so bad I got cut in the Mexican league".As for me, I think I'd rather have Borchard. At least there's a chance he'll get better. Giambi's going to get worse. JMO

johnny_mostil
03-11-2005, 08:31 PM

But nobody repeats performances like that -- and trust me, lots of people have looked, HARD, for evidence that there are good situational hitters and faield.

Hitting with RISP is not really a skill, it's "luck".

He's a god-awful hitter.

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 09:20 PM
But nobody repeats performances like that -- and trust me, lots of people have looked, HARD, for evidence that there are good situational hitters and faield.

He's a god-awful hitter.Actually, there's a thread in Talking Baseball about this. Turns out Bill James is having second thoughts.

wdelaney72
03-11-2005, 09:31 PM
As for me, I think I'd rather have Borchard. At least there's a chance he'll get better. Giambi's going to get worse. JMO

Allow me to fix your post...

As for me, I think I'd rather have Borchard. At least there's a chance he'll get better. Giambi's going to get worse.

:D:

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Allow me to fix your post...

As for me, I think I'd rather have Borchard. At least there's a chance he'll get better. Giambi's going to get worse.

:D:OK, but even in deep pink it's still a better chance than Giambi's got.:D:

SoxxoS
03-11-2005, 10:00 PM

He's a god-awful hitter.

As #2 said, Bill James is rethinking the clutch concept, and I am glad he is doing so. Some guys get up and thrieve in high pressure situations. Some guys don't. I don't see how this is argumentative. Are you are telling me there are certain guys you would or would NOT want to see up in the bottom of the 9th inning in the playoffs, down 1, with bases loaded two outs? I may get flamed for this...but I wouldn't want our best hitter (Frank Thomas) up in that situation, b/c he is 0 for the playoffs. That isn't just a coinsidence.

A. Cavatica
03-11-2005, 10:28 PM
James is saying that clutch hitting might exist, but nobody's figured out how to measure it yet; in other words, he still hasn't seen any statistical data to support the idea that it exists. Which is not exactly a ringing endorsement of the clutch hitting idea.

NUCatsFan
03-13-2005, 02:31 AM
Wonder how this affects (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2011867) things?

SpammySosa
03-13-2005, 03:19 AM
Wonder how this affects (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2011867) things?

I just heard this on Sporting News Radio too. I liked Jeremy's response when asked about his brother's news conference. :D:

The Racehorse
03-13-2005, 09:09 AM

I'll answer that.

Jeremy Giambi? Next!

Jjav829
03-13-2005, 10:26 AM

So, what was everyones favorite moment of the Jeremy Giambi experience?

I assume he'll be gone any moment now...

Ol' No. 2
03-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Wonder how this affects (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2011867) things?In other news...the earth is round and snow is cold.

MRKARNO
03-13-2005, 11:51 AM
So, what was everyones favorite moment of the Jeremy Giambi experience?

I assume he'll be gone any moment now...

I don't expect this to affect his status with the organization as the White Sox have usually been an organization willing to give second chances to players who may not have gotten them from other organizations.

Jjav829
03-13-2005, 12:00 PM
I don't expect this to affect his status with the organization as the White Sox have usually been an organization willing to give second chances to players who may not have gotten them from other organizations.

Like Marvin Benard? Screw Giambi. It was a decent idea but we don't need him. Kick him to the curb and let him go beg for a job with some other team. He's not good enough to worry about. At this point he is more of a distraction than he is worth. Not that he was worth much to begin with.

Dadawg_77
03-13-2005, 12:02 PM
As #2 said, Bill James is rethinking the clutch concept, and I am glad he is doing so. Some guys get up and thrieve in high pressure situations. Some guys don't. I don't see how this is argumentative. Are you are telling me there are certain guys you would or would NOT want to see up in the bottom of the 9th inning in the playoffs, down 1, with bases loaded two outs? I may get flamed for this...but I wouldn't want our best hitter (Frank Thomas) up in that situation, b/c he is 0 for the playoffs. That isn't just a coinsidence.
:dtroll:just because you can't get your facts straight. While Thomas's 2000 series sucked, he was great in 93.

Dadawg_77
03-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Like Marvin Benard? Screw Giambi. It was a decent idea but we don't need him. Kick him to the curb and let him go beg for a job with some other team. He's not good enough to worry about. At this point he is more of a distraction than he is worth. Not that he was worth much to begin with.]

I am pretty sure Kenny knew Jeremy was indicated in this scandal, his name was in the leaked testimony from the Balco grand jury. This addmission sounds like contrition for those acts thus, I think it doesn't effect him with the Sox.

MRKARNO
03-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Like Marvin Benard? Screw Giambi. It was a decent idea but we don't need him. Kick him to the curb and let him go beg for a job with some other team. He's not good enough to worry about. At this point he is more of a distraction than he is worth. Not that he was worth much to begin with.

It's probably not a bad idea to get rid of him, but I just don't see it happening. It's more a matter of my not expecting the White Sox to drop him.

Rocklive99
03-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Isn't this kind of old news? I could've sworn that Jason said that his brother did it too in the leaked testimony, you gotta think that KW and Co were suspecting this so I don't know if he'd be automatically gone

Fake Chet Lemon
03-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Did I hear right, but Murph on the Score said Buhrle called him a "cheater"? If so, good for him. I'm sure Kenny won't be too pleased, he's shipped guys out of town for piping up. But I don't think Buhrle has to worry at all about that.

tstrike2000
03-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Yay! More juicers on the team!