PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Baseball Song besides "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"

Viva Medias B's
03-09-2005, 09:03 PM
What is your favorite baseball song, not including "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"? Of course, my favorite is "Let's Go Go Go White Sox." I am not sure which one is my secondary favorite. One of the ones I like is "Centerfield" by John Fogarty becasue every college baseball stadium plays it. One obscure one I like is "D-O-D-G-E-R-S Song (Oh, Really? No, O'Malley)" by Danny Kaye.

Fenway
03-09-2005, 09:11 PM
As much as I hate the Yankees, the late Yankee Stadium organist played Take Me Out To The Ball Game as well as anyone

http://www.goodnewsbroadcast.com/take-me-out-to-the-ballgame.MP3

and I used to shudder when he pumped up the crowd with this

http://www.goodnewsbroadcast.com/bring-on-the-yankees.MP3

RIP Eddie Layton

http://www.organfax.co.uk/images/ashton/layton.jpg

Norberto7
03-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Not the best baseball song by any stretch of the imagination, but does anyone else remember the song "Rock with the Sox"? It's pretty old, it had to be around the time of the opening of the New Comiskey, because I remember some of the lyrics went:

When it comes to sports, Chicago's hot!
Come join the party, when the New Comiskey rocks...

Then it went into various "Let's Go"s and other such stuff. It was a cassette that was on sale at the park, somehow my brother snookered my mom into buying it for him. It had that same song on both sides. We'd always put it in the player for a good laugh, for it was a cheese-fest. Catchy, though.

Anyone?

Chisox003
03-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Of course "Centerfield" by John Fogarty but I also like "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley....Not exactly about baseball but close enough

voodoochile
03-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I've always been partial to "It's a beautiful day for a ballgame".

mike squires
03-09-2005, 10:17 PM
I love that song (there is a Whitesox version on this sight somewhere) I think it called..."Talkin about Baseball" It is very nostalgic to me.

jake27
03-09-2005, 10:36 PM
i dont know if this counts as a baseball song but i love the thunderstruck the sox had last year before the game started. i also love listening to swet home chicago going down the ramp after a white sox win.

tebman
03-09-2005, 11:24 PM
It's gotta be this song: "Go Sox," by Paul Mall and the Bleacher Boys. You can hear it on this page:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxSounds.htm

There's a website that talks about the history of that obscure record label that produced that song: http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/seymour.html

If you scroll down a bit, it talks about how that song came to be, and how Paul Mall was an MC at one of the cheesy strip joints on the south end of State Street. That song is so corny-bad that it's good! :tongue:

- tebman

SOXintheBURGH
03-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Well Mr. Burns had done it,
The power plant had won it,
With Roger Clemens clucking all the while,
Mike Scioscia's tragic illness made us smile,
While Wade Boggs lay unconscious on the barroom tile...

We're talkin' softball...
From Maine to San Diego.
Talkin' softball...
Mattingly and Canseco.
Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw.
Steve Sax and his run-in with the law.
We're talkin' Homer... Ozzie and the Straw.

From Maine to San Diego.
Talkin' softball...
Mattingly and Canseco.

Lip Man 1
03-10-2005, 12:28 AM
LOL

Excuse me but Mr. Burns those players are dead...

Then get me some living ballplayers! You have 24 hours!!
Lip

Stroker Ace
03-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Well Mr. Burns had done it,
The power plant had won it,
With Roger Clemens clucking all the while,
Mike Scioscia's tragic illness made us smile,
While Wade Boggs lay unconscious on the barroom tile...

From Maine to San Diego.
Talkin' softball...
Mattingly and Canseco.

From Maine to San Diego.
Talkin' softball...
Mattingly and Canseco.

I forgot about that one. Hilarious.

Stroker Ace
03-10-2005, 12:34 AM
My fav would be Centerfield by John Fogarty

Palehose13
03-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Not sure if these are really a baseball songs, but they seem to be played a lot with baseball highlights (at least they were in the past).

"Running Down a Dream" Tom Petty
"Walk of Life" Dire Straits

Whenever I hear those songs, the baseball highlights in my head start playing.

Baby Fisk
03-10-2005, 07:55 AM
OKAY! (okay)

BLUE JAYS! (blue jays)

LETS!

PLAY!

BALL!

Any kid who grew up in Canada in the late 70s/80s has this song ingrained in their DNA. It's a mellow little tune until you hit that stadium-rockin' chorus. "Okay Blue Jays" is prolly Canada's third national anthem, after the real national anthem and the theme from Hockey Night In Canada. :cool:

The Racehorse
03-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Because of a Rod Carew reference, the Beastie Boys Sure Shot has a sports feel to it, at least it does to me...

I've Got More Action Than My Man John Woo
And I've Got Mad Hits Like I Was Rod Carew

Viva Medias B's
03-10-2005, 09:19 AM
As much as I hate the Yankees, the late Yankee Stadium organist played Take Me Out To The Ball Game as well as anyone

http://www.goodnewsbroadcast.com/take-me-out-to-the-ballgame.MP3

and I used to shudder when he pumped up the crowd with this

http://www.goodnewsbroadcast.com/bring-on-the-yankees.MP3

RIP Eddie Layton

http://www.organfax.co.uk/images/ashton/layton.jpg

Eddie Layton was one of the greats. Another organist I like is Ernie Hays at Busch Stadium. He always begins his routine during batting practice by playing a good rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" followed by "Meet Me in St. Louis." Also, he does a great rendition of "When You Say Bud" during the middle of the 8th inning at Busch.

SOXintheBURGH
03-10-2005, 09:19 AM
LOL

Excuse me but Mr. Burns those players are dead...

Then get me some living ballplayers! You have 24 hours!!
Lip

"Scour the American Leagues! The National Leagues! The Negro Leagues!!!"

SouthSide_HitMen
03-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Being a life long Sox fan, I'm partial to Steam & Nancy's Kiss Him Goodbye

http://whitesoxinteractive.com//NaNaHeyHey.rm

jortafan
03-10-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure I should admit this, but it's Steve Goodman's "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request."

Any song that admits the Cubs are "the doormats of the National League" can't be all bad. That song happens to be the ONLY thing connected to the Cubs that doesn't make me want to wretch.

So let's hear it:

Do they still sing the blues in Chicago?
When baseball season rolls around.
When the snow melts away, do the Cubbies still play,
In their Ivy-covered burial ground?

When I was a boy, they were my pride and joy,
But now they only bring fatigue.
To the land of the brave, the home of the free,
They're the doormats of the National League.

Okay, I'll be quiet now.

ND_Sox_Fan
03-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Besides Centerfield, I am the Greatest by Kenny Rogers is right up there.

Don't forget "3-5 The White Sox Got'em Open Up Wide" - the lone hit released by Frank Thomas featuring D. Stroy.

TornLabrum
03-10-2005, 09:20 PM
For me it's "Centerfield," mainly because "Na-Na-Hey-Hey" was not originally a baseball song.

Kane Co. has played some pretty good historical baseball songs before their games for several years. Among my favorites are "Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball" and "Life Is a Ball Game" (the latter was used under the closing credits in the movie "Cobb"). They also play a blues that I don't know the title of about Doby in Cleveland and Robinson in Brooklyn.

MikeW
03-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Two of my favorites are 'Van Lingle Mungo' by jazz pianist Dave Frishberg. It names a lot of old time players in it. And of course 'There used to be a ballpark' sung by Frank Sinatra. I remember them playing it while the old Comiskey was being demolished. Bought tears to my eyes.

Fredsox
03-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Without question its Centerfiled! That song just gets your blood moving, especially when you hear the crack of the bat. Written by a baseball fan for baseball fans.

daveeym
03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
For me it's "Centerfield," mainly because "Na-Na-Hey-Hey" was not originally a baseball song.

Kane Co. has played some pretty good historical baseball songs before their games for several years. Among my favorites are "Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball" and "Life Is a Ball Game" (the latter was used under the closing credits in the movie "Cobb"). They also play a blues that I don't know the title of about Doby in Cleveland and Robinson in Brooklyn.The jackie robinson song is great. I got a cd that was a promotional cd for Ken Burns' Baseball documentary. I got it at a used cd store and haven't found it for sale anywhere else it's great. Has a bunch of old swing, old versions of take me out to the ballgame and the star spangled banner, jolting joe dimaggio, say hey (say willie), and other old baseball related songs and historical radio calls. Amazing Cd.

Edit: it's actually for sale now, you can get it on Amazon

TDog
03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Two of my favorites are 'Van Lingle Mungo' by jazz pianist Dave Frishberg. It names a lot of old time players in it. ...

I love that song. In 1971, when the Sox were banished to a series of FM radio stations because the big AM stations wanted nothing to do with them, a postgame call-in show had a host that played it as he was signing off. It's a very cool song that consists of nothing but names of ballplayers, mostly from the '30s and '40s. A couple played in the '50s, and Early Wynn, of course, played into the '60s.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/vanlinglemungo.shtml

Frishberg said the lyrics he had written for the tune were rejected. Having just purchased a copy of The Baseball Encyclopedia, he filled the song with the names of ballplayers. Unfortunately, the only version I can find today is the lounge piano one that he still performs.

Frishberg says that some of his fans think he's singing Portuguese.

SOXSINCE'70
03-11-2005, 02:16 PM
"Scour the American Leagues! The National Leagues! The Negro Leagues!!!"

You stole my thunder!! Still my favorite sports themed episode of
"The Simpsons".Only Homer Simpson could win
a game by getting knocked unconcious after being
hit by a pitch.:D: :D: :D:

P.S.-My favorite baseball songs are "Let's Go,Go,Go,White Sox"
and "Go Sox!"

Fenway
03-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Why this became linked to the Red Sox :?: but it has become our anthem

and of course the World Famous DROPKICK MURPHY'S Tessie
http://dropkickmurphys.com/ram/tessie.ram

Where it began
I canít begin to knowiní
But then I know itís growiní strong

Was in the spring
And spring became the summer
Whoíd have believed youíd come along

Hands, touchiní hands
Reachiní out
Touchiní me
Touchiní you

Sweet caroline
Good times never seemed so good
Iíve been inclined
To believe they never would

But now i
Look at the night
And it donít seem so lonely
We fill it up with only two
And when I hurt
Hurtiní runs off my shoulders
How can I hurt when Iím with you

Warm, touchiní warm
Reachiní out
Touchiní me
Touchiní me

Sweet caroline
Iíve been inclined
To believe they never would
Oh, no, no

Sweet caroline
Iíve been inclined
I believed they never could
Sweet caroline

Stroker Ace
03-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Because of MVP 2005, I am sick of Tessie.

JKryl
03-12-2005, 10:56 PM

I have to agree with you. "Centerfield", is probably my second choice.

Fenway
03-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Because of MVP 2005, I am sick of Tessie.

They included it in MVP2005???????????????

Fenway
03-13-2005, 02:24 PM

That song was written for the opening of Dodger Stadium in 1962.

Water O'Malley enlisted an old New York friend Harry Simone to put it together. Simone of course is best known for "Little Drummer Boy"

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/library/afas/steele_sheet_music.htm

Mr Simone passed away a month ago at the age of 94

SOXintheBURGH
03-13-2005, 02:42 PM
They included it in MVP2005???????????????

Yeah, and now I hear it every 5 minutes.. its a sweet song, but its done with me.

Fenway
03-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Yeah, and now I hear it every 5 minutes.. its a sweet song, but its done with me.
must mean my boys are winning :D:

Dirty Water included too? ( I know they wouldn't have Sweet Caroline )

SOXintheBURGH
03-13-2005, 04:39 PM
must mean my boys are winning :D:

Dirty Water included too? ( I know they wouldn't have Sweet Caroline )

Well, when the game loads you get a song everytime, the soundtrack has like 8 or 9 songs (all EA Sports games have this now for the past few years.. NHL 2004 was awesome).. for some reason 4 out 5 I get "Tessie." When you do home run derbys and the pitching mini games, it plays the game soundtrack.. lots of "Tessie" as well. Like I said, I love the Murphy's, and its a sweet song, just getting old.

Wsoxmike59
03-14-2005, 06:55 AM
Mine has to be "Go-Go White Sox" by Captain Stubby and the Buccaneers. I still get goosebumps when I watch the White Sox Visual History on VHS and they hit to Go-Go Sox era and play clips accompanied by that song.

I also too love Sinatra's "There Used To Be A Ballpark" and Terry Cashman's "Talkin' Baseball"

Also being a big Rolling Stones fan, I loved when the Stones recorded a song called "Winning Ugly" back in '86 on the Dirty Work album. I never heard any explanations or interviews from the band on how that song came to be recorded, but I've always assumed that since the Stones often used Chicago as their "home base" on American tours they must've heard the phrase being bandied about town and it stuck in Mick Jagger's craw.

Somehow the song shows up on the 1983 Highlight Film on VHS, and the song hadn't even been recorded yet! The only explanation I can think of is the song was added on to the tape in later years, as I bought my '83 Highlight Film at the first Soxfest in 1991.