PDA

View Full Version : I called a friend at HOK and

Fenway
03-09-2005, 04:36 PM
last week we were looking at photos of ballparks from above and someone mentioned that it looked like JR had used the Addison blueprint at 35th Street.

My friend at HOK says yes that most of the design work on Comiskey II was done in 1986 which is why it has the same look and feel as 2 other ballparks built at that time (Skydome and Tropicanna Field)

The Illinois Sports Authority pretty much used the existing plans designed for Addison

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/addressimage.aspx?t=4&s=10&lon=-87.6326804&lat=41.82862874&alon=-87.63513800&alat=41.830875&w=2&opt=0&qs=333+w+35th+st%7cchicago%7cil%7c&addr=333+W+35th+St%2c+Chicago%2c+IL+60616

MisterB
03-09-2005, 04:50 PM
last week we were looking at photos of ballparks from above and someone mentioned that it looked like JR had used the Addison blueprint at 35th Street.

My friend at HOK says yes that most of the design work on Comiskey II was done in 1986 which is why it has the same look and feel as 2 other ballparks built at that time (Skydome and Tropicanna Field)

The Illinois Sports Authority pretty much used the existing plans designed for Addison

Yep. I remember seeing the concept drawing of the Addison park. The most visible differences were circular ramp structures instead of the 'switchback' type (changed due to space constraints), and a faux brick facade instead of the cast colored concrete (changed due to the 'underfunding' of the park when built).

Foulke You
03-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Yep. I remember seeing the concept drawing of the Addison park. The most visible differences were circular ramp structures instead of the 'switchback' type (changed due to space constraints), and a faux brick facade instead of the cast colored concrete (changed due to the 'underfunding' of the park when built).

I remember those drawings too with the circular ramp structures. I think they even had a scale model that they showed during some Sox telecasts.

StillMissOzzie
03-09-2005, 05:38 PM

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/addressimage.aspx?t=4&s=10&lon=-87.6326804&lat=41.82862874&alon=-87.63513800&alat=41.830875&w=2&opt=0&qs=333+w+35th+st%7cchicago%7cil%7c&addr=333+W+35th+St%2c+Chicago%2c+IL+60616

Call me crazy, but after looking at those terraserver pictures of all those MLB parks, I kinda thought that USCF looked like Dodger Stadium from overhead. Maybe a trace of JR's love for the old Brooklyn Dodgers?

SMO
:gulp:

SaltyPretzel
03-09-2005, 05:41 PM

I also remember some of those drawings with a fan-like retractible roof.

Tekijawa
03-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Was that photo taken from the last row in the upperdeck before or after the renovations last year?:D:

whitesoxwilkes
03-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Call me crazy, but after looking at those terraserver pictures of all those MLB parks, I kinda thought that USCF looked like Dodger Stadium from overhead. Maybe a trace of JR's love for the old Brooklyn Dodgers?

SMO

Supposedly that's why we have blue seats...JR's nostalgia for Ebbets Field.

NardiWasHere
03-09-2005, 07:23 PM
When I went to Yankee Stadium last year, I noticed how much the Pre-Renovated New Commiskey looked like it. If you think about it, the billboards in the back are similar, the white fencing was sort of like the white metal in the outfield. Plus the bullpens, hitter's eye, and seating arrangment were very similar.

Lip Man 1
03-09-2005, 07:23 PM
It's not 'supposedly'. I had two folks (one of whom worked for the Sox) confirm this for me.

Lip

batmanZoSo
03-09-2005, 07:37 PM
When I went to Yankee Stadium last year, I noticed how much the Pre-Renovated New Commiskey looked like it. If you think about it, the billboards in the back are similar, the white fencing was sort of like the white metal in the outfield. Plus the bullpens, hitter's eye, and seating arrangment were very similar.

When I first saw New Comiskey on TV years ago, the first thing that came to my mind was Yankee Stadium. Original New Comiskey is practically a duplicate, only more orderly and modern. It doesn't have those lopsided quirks that YS has.

FARMEO
03-10-2005, 05:11 AM

SMO

I agree with you, USCF does look like Dodger staduim from overhead!!

Baby Fisk
03-10-2005, 09:06 AM
When I first saw New Comiskey on TV years ago, the first thing that came to my mind was Yankee Stadium. Original New Comiskey is practically a duplicate, only more orderly and modern. It doesn't have those lopsided quirks that YS has.
We are of like minds. I thought all that white gridwork around the scoreboard and ad billboards was an attempt at echoing Yankee Stadium's white arches but with a modern look.

Funny how no one complains about the vertigo-inducing UD in the Bronx, tho. :angry:

Lip Man 1
03-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Making the playoffs 10 straight years has a way of getting you some slack.

Lip

Iwritecode
03-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Making the playoffs 10 straight years has a way of getting you some slack.

Lip

Yea right. The Sox could win 10 World Series in a row and people would STILL complain about the UD.

HomeFish
03-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I seem to remember that pre-rennovation Comiskey served as Yankee Stadium for a movie made sometime in the 90's...or was that the other way around?

Chisox003
03-10-2005, 04:25 PM
I seem to remember that pre-rennovation Comiskey served as Yankee Stadium for a movie made sometime in the 90's...or was that the other way around?

Ya, I remember this too...I think it might have been for a Joe Torre documentary type movie...?

Brian26
03-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Ya, I remember this too...I think it might have been for a Joe Torre documentary type movie...?

Or was it "My Best Friend's Wedding"?

KarkoFan1
03-10-2005, 07:54 PM
I think it was rookie of the year. They were already taping in Chicago and I don't think they wanted to leave the city.

Fenway
03-12-2005, 03:51 PM
I agree with you, USCF does look like Dodger staduim from overhead!!

Missing the San Gabriel Mountains however :smile:

What I will never understand is WHY JR felt it was important to have the park face in the opposite direction from the old Comiskey. A backdrop of the Chicago skyline would have looked a lot nicer than looking south.

and Ebbets did have blue seats
http://www.ballparktour.com/Ebbets1ab.jpg

ewokpelts
03-12-2005, 03:56 PM

What I will never understand is WHY JR felt it was important to have the park face in the opposite direction from the old Comiskey. A backdrop of the Chicago skyline would have looked a lot nicer than looking south.

http://www.ballparktour.com/Ebbets1ab.jpg
i think it had a lot to do with the site chosen, if it was on 33rd street(armour square park), then it would have faced the skyline....also they had to factor in the red line stop.
Gene

Ol' No. 2
03-12-2005, 03:56 PM

http://www.ballparktour.com/Ebbets1ab.jpgThat's a good question, and I've never heard any kind of answer for it. It's long been traditional to have home plate in the SW corner. I think Comiskey may have been the first to change.

ewokpelts
03-12-2005, 03:59 PM
I think it was rookie of the year. They were already taping in Chicago and I don't think they wanted to leave the city.rookie sof the year used comiskey as a sub for DODGER STADIUM...NOT yank-me stadium.....the dodgers were the "evil" team in that movie.....my best friend's wedding was also shot there(i was at that game)...i believe cameron diaz's dad in the movie owned the team
Gene

MisterB
03-12-2005, 05:09 PM
That's a good question, and I've never heard any kind of answer for it. It's long been traditional to have home plate in the SW corner. I think Comiskey may have been the first to change.

There have been quite a few ballparks since 1900 to break the 'southwest' tradition for placing home plate. (prior to 1900, the ballparks were oriented however they'd fit in the available space.)

Notable ones:
The Polo grounds - W-NW
Forbes Field - W
Seals Stadium (SF) - NW
Memorial Stadium (Baltimore) - S
RFK Stadium - W
Three Rivers Stadium - NW
Riverfront Stadium - W
Busch Stadium - NW

I think USCF just stands out in people's minds because of Chicago's strict N-S/E-W grid system. I believe the reasoning for USCF's orientation was that they still wanted home plate to be 'at 35th & Shields'.

Ol' No. 2
03-12-2005, 05:28 PM
There have been quite a few ballparks since 1900 to break the 'southwest' tradition for placing home plate. (prior to 1900, the ballparks were oriented however they'd fit in the available space.)

Notable ones:
The Polo grounds - W-NW
Forbes Field - W
Seals Stadium (SF) - NW
Memorial Stadium (Baltimore) - S
RFK Stadium - W
Three Rivers Stadium - NW
Riverfront Stadium - W
Busch Stadium - NW

I think USCF just stands out in people's minds because of Chicago's strict N-S/E-W grid system. I believe the reasoning for USCF's orientation was that they still wanted home plate to be 'at 35th & Shields'.That's what I love about this place. You learn something new every day. I had no idea there were that many exceptions.

batmanZoSo
03-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Yea right. The Sox could win 10 World Series in a row and people would STILL complain about the UD.

I will say this, with the new roof and shortened grandstand--which not only makes the park more beautiful to look at, but also cooler in the summer and cozier (for lack of a better word) due to the extended canope design--the upper deck is a fantastic place to sit. Even though it's still steep, it's a lot more enclosed, so you don't get that precarious feeling that you used to (I never liked all that sky above me pre-renovation). Perceptually, to me, it's as if they lowered the incline, just by reducing the rows and covering the seats. For someone without season tickets or skybox priveleges, the upper deck anywhere behind the infield is the best place to sit (you're a lot closer to homeplate than anywhere else). I'll choose it ten times out of ten in those circumstances. Anyone who still complains about the upper deck is a total putz, let alone after 10 World Series in a row. Nuff said.

NSSoxFan
03-12-2005, 07:00 PM
I will say this, with the new roof and shortened grandstand--which not only makes the park more beautiful to look at, but also cooler in the summer and cozier (for lack of a better word) due to the extended canope design--the upper deck is a fantastic place to sit. Even though it's still steep, it's a lot more enclosed, so you don't get that precarious feeling that you used to (I never liked all that sky above me pre-renovation). Perceptually, to me, it's as if they lowered the incline, just by reducing the rows and covering the seats. For someone without season tickets or skybox priveleges, the upper deck anywhere behind the infield is the best place to sit (you're a lot closer to homeplate than anywhere else). I'll choose it ten times out of ten in those circumstances. Anyone who still complains about the upper deck is a total putz, let alone after 10 World Series in a row. Nuff said.

I agree with you on this ZoSo. I never complained about sitting in the upper deck pre-renovation and now with the great renovations, it has made it a lot better. If you run into people that complain about the UD at USCF, please send them to parks like Coors, Jacobs, etc. This subject has been a deadhorse here on WSI and I can't believe people still complain about the UD.

Brian26
03-12-2005, 08:26 PM

Notable ones:
Busch Stadium - NW

You're right. Remember, north is always "up" on terraserver:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=9&Z=15&X=7444&Y=42787&W=3&qs=%7cst.+louis%7cmo%7c