PDA

View Full Version : Contreras

Bucky F. Dent
03-09-2005, 02:10 PM
I see that Jose got knicked for three walks and four runs in his three innings of work yesterday. Now, I know it's just his first outing of the spring, and I'm trying not to panic, but someone please tell me that he was experimenting with a new pitch, or Salma Hayek was sitting naked behind the plate so he was distracted, or something!

daveeym
03-09-2005, 02:17 PM
I see that Jose got knicked for three walks and four runs in his three innings of work yesterday. Now, I know it's just his first outing of the spring, and I'm trying not to panic, but someone please tell me that he was experimenting with a new pitch, or Salma Hayek was sitting naked behind the plate so he was distracted, or something!Ok, Salma Hayek WAS sitting naked behind the plate.

spawn
03-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Actually, it was his second outing. According to Ozzie, he's rushing his pitches when he pitches out of the stretch, and he's having trouble spotting his fastball. He's hoping it will get worked out in ST. He still has time...

spawn
03-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Ok, Salma Hayek WAS sitting naked behind the plate.

Damn! I wish the game would've been on tv!:tongue:

03-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I think we can count on a slightly above .500 record from Jose this year. And as a #4 starter, 13-11 is fine. What hurts though is that he can be a 17-10 pitcher if he gets his head in the game

Fenway
03-09-2005, 02:26 PM
I hope for your teams sake Ozzie doesn't use him against Boston as they own him.

spawn
03-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I hope for your teams sake Ozzie doesn't use him against Boston as they own him.
As I recall, Ozzie did use him against the Red Sox in Fenway. And after a shaky start, he went on to defeat the Red Sox while striking out 8. So with the White Sox, he's 1-0 against the Red Sox.:cool:

Mickster
03-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Realize that Jose has been primarily throwing fastballs in ST thus far trying to locate his pitches, much like Schoe did last year in ST. If he keeps getting lit up the last 2 or 3 ST starts, I'll start to worry. Until then....

:whocares

nebraskasox
03-09-2005, 02:35 PM
The Cubans are the big swing factor in 05 in my opinion. If they have good years, the Sox should compete with anyone. If they struggle, there goes the pitching depth we're counting on and it will be a long year. Seems like pitching is always a gamble (at least with the Sox and most clubs).

As was mentioned, Contreras is working on his fast ball and is not throwing the full assortment of pitches yet. I'm hoping that with all these new faces, it's just taking some time to gel, offensively and defensively.

Flight #24
03-09-2005, 02:40 PM
The Cubans are the big swing factor in 05 in my opinion. If they have good years, the Sox should compete with anyone. If they struggle, there goes the pitching depth we're counting on and it will be a long year. Seems like pitching is always a gamble (at least with the Sox and most clubs).

As was mentioned, Contreras is working on his fast ball and is not throwing the full assortment of pitches yet. I'm hoping that with all these new faces, it's just taking some time to gel, offensively and defensively.

One thing to note is that unlike past years, we have some depth should one of the starters flop or get hurt (crosses fingers). BMac's looked pretty good and could be ready for a spot start or 2 by June. Obviously we'd rather not do that, but if we have to, we have the depth that we didn't previously.

Palehose13
03-09-2005, 02:43 PM
I'd rather have Contreras get the kinks out now instead of after April 4th. :cool:

mdep524
03-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Realize that Jose has been primarily throwing fastballs in ST thus far trying to locate his pitches, much like Schoe did last year in ST. If he keeps getting lit up the last 2 or 3 ST starts, I'll start to worry.
Mick's right. He's not using his full arsenal during ST, so nothing he does now is indicitive of what he'll be like when the season starts. I have major doubts about him, but not from this.

Bucky F. Dent
03-09-2005, 03:25 PM
So he's not throwin the full assortment....that makes me feel a little better.

Thanks.

HITMEN OF 77
03-09-2005, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=spawn]As I recall, Ozzie did use him against the Red Sox in Fenway. And after a shaky start, he went on to defeat the Red Sox while striking out 8. So with the White Sox, he's 1-0 against the Red Sox.:cool:[/...QUOTE]

I seem to remember that as well.:wink:

santo=dorf
03-09-2005, 04:19 PM

He defeated them last year in a Sox uni. He looked good for all but one inning.

PAPChiSox729
03-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Contreras is very important to this team's success. I know many have him slated as the #4 or #5 starter, but I am not expecting El Duque to last the whole season. If the Sox can get any good consistency out of Contreras, this team will make the playoffs. He doesn't have to be dominant, but he needs to step up.