PDA

View Full Version : Ankiel ends pitching career, goes for Utility OF

Unregistered
03-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Sheesh. What a fall.

"We are fully supportive of Rick's decision to convert to an everyday outfielder," Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty said. "Rick will continue to train with the major league club this spring, and we look forward to seeing his development as a full-time batter and outfielder."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2008633

The Racehorse
03-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Sheesh. What a fall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2008633

Yeah, he's fallen pretty far. However, he should have a rocket for an arm... as long as he doesn't kill any peanut vendors 20 rows up behind home plate.

Good Luck Rick. :wink:

Kuzman
03-09-2005, 10:36 AM
theres a good thing there is a net behind home plate :redneck

Clembasbal
03-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't understand why this guy is still in baseball. There are a ton of kids in the minor leagues that are better than him and all I do is hear about this Ankiel kid. So he had one solid end of a regular season, season. Nothing more. He is not a hero for the poor or for little kids trying to make it big, he is not a role model...he is a bum and he is everywhere. Pure stupidity.

Huisj
03-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I don't understand why this guy is still in baseball. There are a ton of kids in the minor leagues that are better than him and all I do is hear about this Ankiel kid. So he had one solid end of a regular season, season. Nothing more. He is not a hero for the poor or for little kids trying to make it big, he is not a role model...he is a bum and he is everywhere. Pure stupidity.

that's a little harsh, don't you think. The way was pretty outstanding as a 20 year old rookie back in 2000. He threw bullets, had a heck of a breaking ball, and just smiply blew guys away--look at his k's and hits given up from that season. I'd say that's a little better than "one solid end of a regular season".

Yes, after that, he fell apart completely with terrible control problems, and then went through a couple arm injuries. I don't see how he's a bum for all that. If I remember right, the guy was also supposedly quite a good hitter--he hit a couple homers as a rookie pitcher, and used to hit real well in the minors after they sent him down there to get his head straightened out. He's a super talented guy with some really bad trouble in his head. I agree, he's not a hero, but why does he have to be? Who in baseball news these days is a hero? I'd rather hear about Rick Ankiel making a comeback as an outfielder than hear more about so-and-so using steroids.

NonetheLoaiza
03-09-2005, 10:56 AM

He is still only 25 years old. To say his career is over by any stretch of the imagination is a little unfair. He refuses to quit trying, and I think thats something to be admired. Hopefully he gets what he needs to be sorted out, and has a decent big league career (at whatever position).

Flight #24
03-09-2005, 11:05 AM
He is still only 25 years old. To say his career is over by any stretch of the imagination is a little unfair. He refuses to quit trying, and I think thats something to be admired. Hopefully he gets what he needs to be sorted out, and has a decent big league career (at whatever position).

Almost certainly not with the Cards though. he's out of options so he'd have to make the team as an OF.....something I'd consider unlikely to put it mildly.

FJA
03-09-2005, 11:11 AM

Agreed. I wish him the best.

Stroker Ace
03-09-2005, 11:24 AM
The Cardinals have to move Ankeil. They can't wait for him to regain the stuff he had in 2000

Dadawg_77
03-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Almost certainly not with the Cards though. he's out of options so he'd have to make the team as an OF.....something I'd consider unlikely to put it mildly.

He may not be claimed if he isn't going to pitch anymore.

doublem23
03-09-2005, 12:10 PM
So much for that sleeper pick. :angry:

Clembasbal
03-09-2005, 12:19 PM
If he comes back then good, he went against the odds, but what about all the OF prospects job he is taking. He hasn't shown that he can hit throughout an entire year, he did hit 10 HR's in 100+ AB's in the MINOR'S (Key work here, MINOR's). Give him 300 or 600 AB's and can he hold up the enitre year...let's see. But there are other kids that deserve a chance...Ankiel's 15 minutes of fame are up. Let somebody else who has been working his butt off get a chance.

Jerko
03-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Let him go to Colorado. His ERA can be about 8 like everyone else's OR he can hit about 15-20 homers.

daveeym
03-09-2005, 12:21 PM
If he comes back then good, he went against the odds, but what about all the OF prospects job he is taking. He hasn't shown that he can hit throughout an entire year, he did hit 10 HR's in 100+ AB's in the MINOR'S (Key work here, MINOR's). Give him 300 or 600 AB's and can he hold up the enitre year...let's see. But there are other kids that deserve a chance...Ankiel's 15 minutes of fame are up. Let somebody else who has been working his butt off get a chance. He's not taking anyones spot. How many millions do the cards have invested in him? I mean come on this argument is bordering on ridiculous.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-09-2005, 01:35 PM
We should offer them Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle for Mark Mulder and Rick Ankiel.

I honestly don't know if I need teal for this or not..... at first I meant for this to be a joke. Now..... I don't know. I love Mulder. But I love Buehrle..... I'm confused.....

Palehose13
03-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Has Ankiel played OF before? There are lots of guys that get switched from their positions when in the minors. Maybe Ankiel is one of these guys and he might not be a bad OF'er.

Dadawg_77
03-09-2005, 01:49 PM
If he comes back then good, he went against the odds, but what about all the OF prospects job he is taking. He hasn't shown that he can hit throughout an entire year, he did hit 10 HR's in 100+ AB's in the MINOR'S (Key work here, MINOR's). Give him 300 or 600 AB's and can he hold up the enitre year...let's see. But there are other kids that deserve a chance...Ankiel's 15 minutes of fame are up. Let somebody else who has been working his butt off get a chance.

There is more money invested in Ankiel then any player he is holding back. Also Ankiel probally has more talent then those he holding up so a team could go with the bigger upside.

Clembasbal
03-09-2005, 02:12 PM
There is more money invested in Ankiel then any player he is holding back. Also Ankiel probally has more talent then those he holding up so a team could go with the bigger upside.

You are correct?? He got paid the league minimum last year...pro rated. I will stop arguing because you guys obviously are in love with this loser.

Unregistered
03-09-2005, 02:17 PM
You are correct?? He got paid the league minimum last year...pro rated. I will stop arguing because you guys obviously are in love with this loser. Did Ankiel beat you up and take your lunch money or something? :?:

Personally, I wouldn't care if the guy gave up baseball to become a magician in Vegas. The Cards, however, have already invested money and time in a player and want to see it through - I don't see the problem.

daveeym
03-09-2005, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=Unregistered]Did Ankiel beat you up and take your lunch money or something? :?:

Personally, I wouldn't care if the guy gave up baseball to become a magician in Vegas. [QUOTE] LOL:gulp:

Clembasbal
03-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Did Ankiel beat you up and take your lunch money or something? :?:

Personally, I wouldn't care if the guy gave up baseball to become a magician in Vegas. The Cards, however, have already invested money and time in a player and want to see it through - I don't see the problem.

Heck he beat me up when I was trying out to be a magician in Reno

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I heard a good theory today on this subject. Since Ankiel is out of options, this is simply a ploy to make other teams pass him up when the Cardinals send Ankiel down to the minors by making other teams think he's just going to be a project in the outfield.

mdep524
03-09-2005, 07:25 PM
I heard a good theory today on this subject. Since Ankiel is out of options, this is simply a ploy to make other teams pass him up when the Cardinals send Ankiel down to the minors by making other teams think he's just going to be a project in the outfield.
What a great conspiracy! I wouldn't put it past LaRussa either.

eastchicagosoxfan
03-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have question. After Bobby Thigpen's arm gave out on him, was there any serious talk within the White Sox organization of converting him to an outfielder? As I recall, he was a real good hitter in college. He was still relatively young too, wasn't he?