PDA

View Full Version : All Cubs/Cards in Champaign

mike squires
03-09-2005, 12:04 AM
I know this is not earth shattering news and I'm not telling anyone anythigyou don't know but while cruising the mall today I noticed this small aisle store (not sure what you call them. :) ad here aare these "beautiful" pictures and paintings of Wrigley and Busch...of course no WhiteSox. Walked into Dallas and Company, a place to get halloween costumes, party supplies, magic triks etc...firt hing you see when you walk in? A huge Cubs flag. It just seems the only place to go for ANY decent Sox memorbillia is Grandstand...

kittle42
03-09-2005, 12:15 AM
That's what happens when you are surrounded by the University of Illinois. :smile:

FightingBillini
03-09-2005, 12:31 AM
At the Finish Line, they have a pretty decent selection of White Sox stuff. I dont see a big difference between the amount of Sox vs. Cubs stuff in the stores from here and the south suburbs. Orland Park is predominately Sox fans, although several douchebag posers have come forward in recent years wearing blue and red. However, all the stores have no less than 50% Cubs stuff, most have much more Cubs than Sox. I have talked to people I know working at Sportmart, and they say the Cubs junk never sells. The Sox stuff isn't exactly flying off the shelves, but it sells much more than the Cubs stuff. The amount of Flub attire is similar in stores such as the Hatworld and the Galyans/Dicks in Orland Park. At least for the suburban stores, decisions on what items to carry are made by Chicago big wigs who apparently dont pay attention to sales trends for specific stores. Im not saying that is the case in Champaign, but there are plenty of Sox fans down here. I would venture to say that you see more '83 throwback Sox hats around campus any given day than all Cubs hats altogether. I would say at least 20% of baseball fans at U of I are Sox fans, and there are a lot of Cards fans, too.

mike squires
03-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Yah, clothing and hats are about equal. I guess I was talking more of the other stuff. Briefly there was this store in the mall with all sports memorbillia. It was pretty big and I don't recall seeing one piece of Whitesox merchandise.

fusillirob1983
03-09-2005, 12:47 AM
A few weeks back I went into Foot Locker and I can't think of what other store, but one place was only carrying Maggs jerseys and the other only had Maggs and Loaiza.

I'd also have to agree that on a given day, I'll see more Sox hats and shirts on people than Cubs around campus. Most of the fake fans have given up now that the kool-aid from the 2003 playoffs is wearing off a little bit.

fusillirob1983
03-09-2005, 12:53 AM
I have to add that I felt pretty bad for the Cards fans here last fall. Sure their team made it to the World Series last year, something our team hasn't done since '59, but a lot of Cub fans instantly turned into Red Sox fans. That was almost as annoying as when the Cubs were in the playoffs.

santo=dorf
03-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Yah, clothing and hats are about equal. I guess I was talking more of the other stuff. Briefly there was this store in the mall with all sports memorbillia. It was pretty big and I don't recall seeing one piece of Whitesox merchandise.

Was it a really plain white store? I went there and got a Bears pennant right before Chirstmas break for $2 and asked the guy where they were going and he told me the store is just seasonal. He and I both thought it was a shame that they weren't open during baseball season. :mad:

C-Dawg
03-09-2005, 06:58 AM
...but a lot of Cub fans instantly turned into Red Sox fans.

I find that especially annoying too. They seem to think that the Red Sox' success will somehow rub off on the Cubs, being how they are somehow related by their respective "curses". I know a couple Cub fans who have bought WS/Red Sox tickets at the Cell this year, so they can all cheer on their new favorite American League team, in a ballpark they can actually afford to visit.

Anyway, I went to school in Peoria, and was pleasantly pleased to see all the Cardinal fans down there. It wasn't the students (who were mainly Cub fans as I recall), it was the locals. The evening news on TV always had the Cardinal scores; I just thought it was kinda cool.

SOXintheBURGH
03-09-2005, 09:36 AM
You guys should try living in Pennsylvania and find out how many Cubs vs. Sox fans there are.

mike squires
03-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Was it a really plain white store? I went there and got a Bears pennant right before Chirstmas break for $2 and asked the guy where they were going and he told me the store is just seasonal. He and I both thought it was a shame that they weren't open during baseball season. :mad:

Yeah, I think that was it. It had to be. I was surprised how big it was. There might have been a Sox clock or something but not a singe bobblehead, chair, rug, picture etc...

There was a card show there a few months ago and there was a guy that had a nice selection of 80's stuff like magazines, readers Digests and stuff with Sox players on them...I also see many Sox hats in the Champaign/Urbana area.

Stroker Ace
03-09-2005, 12:34 PM
I know this is not earth shattering news and I'm not telling anyone anythigyou don't know but while cruising the mall today I noticed this small aisle store (not sure what you call them. :) ad here aare these "beautiful" pictures and paintings of Wrigley and Busch...of course no WhiteSox. Walked into Dallas and Company, a place to get halloween costumes, party supplies, magic triks etc...firt hing you see when you walk in? A huge Cubs flag. It just seems the only place to go for ANY decent Sox memorbillia is Grandstand...

Yeah, it sucks.

Stroker Ace
03-09-2005, 12:37 PM
When I was home for winter break, (I go to Hofstra)I went to all of the sports stores in the mall. Only one store had Sox t-shirts, and they had two of them. Not two styles, TWO SHIRTS! At the same time, there were piles of sCrUB crap all over the store

rowand33
03-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I go to U of I.

So many know nothing Cubs fans here that's it's ****ing sickening.

I'd say about 1/4 people here are Sox fans. Not that bad. Far cry from being in the south suburbs and everybody hating them though.

SOXintheBURGH
03-09-2005, 04:16 PM
I go to U of I.

So many know nothing Cubs fans here that's it's ****ing sickening.

I'd say about 1/4 people here are Sox fans. Not that bad. Far cry from being in the south suburbs and everybody hating them though.

1/4 of the people at a school that big are Sox fans? You got it made. I went to Penn State for 4 and a half years. Including me, there was probably 6 of us out of 40,000 students.

Foulke You
03-09-2005, 04:53 PM
You guys should try living in Pennsylvania and find out how many Cubs vs. Sox fans there are.

Just curious, is it mostly Phillies and Pirates fans out in Pennsylvania? Which team has the bigger fanbase? I get the impression that it is the Phillies.