PDA

View Full Version : ChiSox vs Rockies 3/8 Box Score

Evman5
03-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Don't know if anybody saw this but I thought it was kind of funny. Apparently, Jermaine Dye got the loss today! :D: :D: :D:

Check it out:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050308&content_id=961860&vkey=spt2005gamer&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

SluggersAway
03-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Dye has quite a bit of range. Luckily,I found what appears to be the legitimate box score here (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=250308127), courtesy of espn. Contreras takes the L.

DickAllen72
03-08-2005, 11:04 PM
It's very early yet, but it looks like Crede still sucks. Maybe it's time to get Polanco or Cintron to play 3B, or see if Willie can play there well enough to be our opening day starter at third. And no, that shouldn't be in teal.

Unless Crede improves greatly and quickly, he is the epitome of what we are trying to get away from.

BRDSR
03-09-2005, 02:06 AM
or see if Willie can play there well enough to be our opening day starter at third. And no, that shouldn't be in teal.

Yes it should. This is like the incessant talk a couple months ago about putting Everett at first when everyone was calling for Konerko to be traded. I don't know exactly how to stress this enough, so I will put it in italics: Willie has never played third base. Just because you and I can move over to third in our annual company picnic softball game doesn't mean Willie Harris can move over to third in the major leagues. They're experimenting with him at shortstop because 1) He played shortstop at the professional(albeit, low) level in the past and 2) as a second basemen he basically mirrored the shortstop. Moving Willie to third is absolutely out of the question. You'd be allowing more runs on the defensive side than you'd be gaining on the offensive side.

In any case, don't get your undies all in a bunch. Crede will be starting at third on Opening Day as long as he's healthy. And thats the way it should be. He'll never play well if we don't give him the confidence and tell him he can play well. If he is still choking in late June, early July, then put together a deal and get a new guy in. As of March 8th, Joe Crede is still working on the mechanics of a flatter swing level and no one should expect those kinks to be worked out in 13 ABs. Give the man a break.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-09-2005, 01:53 PM
It's very early yet, but it looks like Crede still sucks.

I tend to agree. But given the choice, does our pitching need a good glove man there? Or does our offense need a good stick at 3B more? I'm leaning towards starting with the glove man, and if Crede still blows come May 15th mix it up.

DickAllen72
03-09-2005, 08:22 PM
In any case, don't get your undies all in a bunch. Crede will be starting at third on Opening Day as long as he's healthy. And thats the way it should be. He'll never play well if we don't give him the confidence and tell him he can play well. If he is still choking in late June, early July, then put together a deal and get a new guy in. As of March 8th, Joe Crede is still working on the mechanics of a flatter swing level and no one should expect those kinks to be worked out in 13 ABs. Give the man a break.

From what I've read from posters on this board who have been in Tuscon and saw Crede, his swing looks the same. As I said in my original post, it's still very early. But the last thing we need this year is a third baseman who is slow afoot, has an uppercutting swing with an OBP under .300, and forgets to tag guys out at 3B and is otherwise overated in the field.

As for Willie, I know he has never played 3B before and it's not known if he has the arm for it. That's why my first two options were Polanco or Cintron, two guys who it is believed are on the block and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to acquire. But if we can acquire no one else, and it comes down to a choice between a carbon copy of last year's Crede, and a gamble on Harris, I say lets throw Harris there during ST and see if he can make the throw from third. If he can, he's better than the 2004 model Crede. If not, we definitely need a new third baseman.

In any case, don't get your undies in a bunch. I hope Crede does flatten his swing, increase his batting average, runs hard on every play and stays awake at 3B. If he reaches the potential he flashed when he first came up, it will be awesome. But if in a few weeks he's still performing like last year, we have to get a new third baseman. If we can come up with no one else, Willie should get a look.