PDA

View Full Version : The Joke's On George?

Lip Man 1
03-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Funny item just put up on the Tribune blog site:(and this is just part of the day's column...)

"George Knue at 2:28 p.m.
For Sox fans: This is worth a smile--if not an outright laugh. The Economic Club of Chicago had a forum luncheon Tuesday at the Fairmont Hotel in Chicago featuring baseball boss Bud Selig and University of Chicago economist Allen Sanderson. The subject was baseball, and the luncheon was baseball themed--hot dogs, brats, Cracker Jack and peanuts on every table. And on each table was a paper placard with the name of the company whose employees/guests were sitting there; stapled to the placard was a pennant for a major league team.

Someone must have had a sense of humor--or it's one of the biggest coincidences of all time--because stapled to the placard on the Chicago Tribune table was a White Sox pennant."

Lip

The Racehorse
03-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Funny item just put up on the Tribune blog site:(and this is just part of the day's column...)

For Sox fans: This is worth a smile--if not an outright laugh. The Economic Club of Chicago had a forum luncheon Tuesday at the Fairmont Hotel in Chicago featuring baseball boss Bud Selig and University of Chicago economist Allen Sanderson. The subject was baseball, and the luncheon was baseball themed--hot dogs, brats, Cracker Jack and peanuts on every table. And on each table was a paper placard with the name of the company whose employees/guests were sitting there; stapled to the placard was a pennant for a major league team.

Someone must have had a sense of humor--or it's one of the biggest coincidences of all time--because stapled to the placard on the Chicago Tribune table was a White Sox pennant."

Lip

:cool:

voodoochile
03-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Okay, which member of the Sox Army works banquets at the Fairmont Hotel?

Consider yourself promoted...:D:

tadscout
03-08-2005, 05:54 PM

Lip

:rolling::kneeslap:

NonetheLoaiza
03-08-2005, 06:34 PM
:rolling: :rolling:

Good story

munchman33
03-08-2005, 07:00 PM

Lip

OMG Lip that's hilarious! :rolling:

I'd certainly buy a drink for the person responsible for this.

Kogs35
03-08-2005, 07:00 PM
:thumbsup: well done fairmont worker

nebraskasox
03-08-2005, 07:13 PM
That's priceless.

AnkleSox
03-08-2005, 09:17 PM
My uncle works for for Trainer Glass and he was at work on the Tribune building a few years ago. He said there had been a big Tribune van that was usually sitting there during the day, so he brought 4 Sox bumper stickers that he had and stuck 'em all over the bumper. :bandance:

Stroker Ace
03-09-2005, 01:05 AM

Lip

Freakin' Hilarious:D:

mdep524
03-09-2005, 01:20 AM

Lip
:knue
You guys think this is funny???!? OK, this means war! If you thought our Sox coverage was unfair and unbalanced before, just wait.
Phil, give 'em some more of that Ozzie is a hypocrite stuff;
Rick, got any Beltran-to-the-Cubs pieces left over that we can run?
I'll bust out the emergency Ligue in depth feature.
Peter, I know you don't work for us directly, but pump up the volume on the "Mauer is a lock for the Hall" noise in your ESPN work.
And Skip... umm... thank God you don't work here anymore.

:clueless
<Sigh> Cold Pizza for me!

Hangar18
03-09-2005, 08:53 AM
My uncle works for for Trainer Glass and he was at work on the Tribune building a few years ago. He said there had been a big Tribune van that was usually sitting there during the day, so he brought 4 Sox bumper stickers that he had and stuck 'em all over the bumper. :bandance:

heh hehh hehhheh, now thats what Im talking about!
I want to Buy that uncle of yours a drink man !!

Baby Fisk
03-09-2005, 08:57 AM
The Sox Army: Subversive and Under the Radar. Awesome! :thumbsup:

Hangar18
03-09-2005, 09:16 AM

Lip

:knue " That darn Hangar ..........he will pay ........ Dearly.
Nobody calls me out for my secret Cub Lust ...... and gets away with it.
Just for that ........ we are going to give the Cubs their own section!"

Lip Man 1
03-09-2005, 02:56 PM
I just heard from someone I consider a friend who was actually at the luncheon. Apparently it wasn't just guests who were sitting at the Tribune table. Some of the higher-up's as it was put to me were also there. By higher-up's I think they mean high level members of the Tribune Company.

Apparently everyone including the 'higher-up's' thought it was great and all had a good laugh out of it. That's why it was put on the Tribune blog site. Everyone though it was well done and a great 'gotcha.'

Lip

Rocky Soprano
03-09-2005, 03:12 PM
That is hilarious, wish I could of seen that!

Foulke You
03-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Great story Lip. I would have loved to have seen the look on the faces of the Trib execs as they sat down at the table.:D:

skobabe8
03-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Okay, which member of the Sox Army works banquets at the Fairmont Hotel?

Consider yourself promoted...:D:

It was someone in the covert ops division, apparently. Gotta love the clandestine missions! :cool:

markopat
03-09-2005, 10:45 PM
I don't care who you are! If you can't laugh at that...
:wired:

bennyw41
03-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Found this in the Blog section at Chicagosports.com

Someone must have had a sense of humor--or it's one of the biggest coincidences of all time--because stapled to the placard on the Chicago Tribune table was a White Sox pennant. Rahula Strohl at 1:28 p.m.

fusillirob1983
03-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Someone else found this a couple days ago.