PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Report

maurice
03-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Some random observations from this past weekend in Tucson:
- Everett looks great, and he murdered that grand slam despite a two-strike count. Not too many players can duplicate the volume of the "crack of the bat" on that swing.
- Dye looked good also.
- Crede made a pretty nice leaping catch during the first inning on Saturday. OTOH, for all the press about his offseason progress in shortening his swing, it looked pretty much the same.
- Unfortunately, Uribe's swing looked the same too.
- Perez was very good defensively. It sure is fun to watch him throw. Too bad he can't get on base more often.
- Konerko and Garcia signed scores of authographs before the game on Saturday. Perez signed at least as many on Sunday. In general, the players were very accessible to the fans but, unfortunately, most of them stayed in the dugout (and off of the very wet field) before the game on Sunday.
- Rowand is a machine and a heck of a nice guy. He's always the first one out for pre-game warm ups. By the time the last few guys trickle out onto the field, Rowand has already finished his work and started signing autographs. He had a pretty bad cold on Saturday but played in the rain anyway, even after the long delay. It's nice to see a pro that doesn't take his job for granted.
- Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Gload. On Sunday, he failed to dive for two ground balls that were borderline catchable. It seemed like he didn't want to get mud on his nice white pants. For a borderline major leaguer who typically gets cut and plays only one position adequately, you'd expect a little more effort. IIRC, he dove for plenty of balls last year.
- Podsednik was on fire offensively but made a bone-headed defensive play on Sunday. (Leave him in LF, Ozzie.) If he carries some of his offense over into the regular season, he'll hit .280, steal 100 bases, and score 120 runs.
- After the early rain delay on Saturday, Politte, Hermanson, Vizcaino, and Marte pitched 6.2 scoreless innings with only 3 hits, 1 walk, and 6 strikeouts. Hopefully, we'll see lots of that during the regular season.
:gulp:

Baby Fisk
03-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Thx for the report -- any pix?

maurice
03-08-2005, 04:18 PM
any pix?

Not yet. I'll need to develop and scan them.

Tekijawa
03-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Not yet. I'll need to develop and scan them.

Develope and Scan??? That's so 1995!:tongue:

cleats67
03-08-2005, 04:55 PM
I also was out in Tucson last week and had an awesome time. Golf in the morning, baseball in the p.m., and steaks & brew for dinner. :gulp: Doesn't get any better than that, but it does.. Ozzie gave me a bunch of signed balls, signed official BP hats, a game used Iguchi bat that he gave my son on the field and a number of cool pics. I would like to post some of the pics on here to share, but not sure how to get them on here from my computer because of their size. All my pics are large in size (700+)and they say it has to be 100 or less? Can anyone help? If so I will post them.

ma_deuce
03-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Some random observations from this past weekend in Tucson:
- Everett looks great, and he murdered that grand slam despite a two-strike count. Not too many players can duplicate the volume of the "crack of the bat" on that swing.

Everett is visably thinner and a monster on the plate. On Friday, he forced a liner into the outfield despite his exploding bat. That man can hit and deserves to play.

Dye looked goodalso.

I agree, but my wife could not get past the number on his jersey. #23 is sacred in my household.

- Konerko and Garcia signed scores of authographs before the game on Saturday.

Konerko looked thinner as well. He caught a speeding line on Friday that I thought for sure was a base hit. Very nice.

- Rowand is a machine and a heck of a nice guy. He's always the first one out for pre-game warm ups. By the time the last few guys trickle out onto the field, Rowand has already finished his work and started signing autographs. He had a pretty bad cold on Saturday but played in the rain anyway, even after the long delay. It's nice to see a pro that doesn't take his job for granted.
I couldn't agree more. In fact, I'm going to put the peeing guy on the ID of the next person who rips on Rowand for lack of talent or tenacity. He signed autographs and played his heart out on Friday and Saturday, in spite of being visably ill. He wants to play, plays very well, and gives it his all. If everyone on the team gave as much as he does, we'd have this division (if not league) in the bag.

But by far, the most entertaining part of the weekend was watching The Choice play. What a tool. I loved jeering his worthless butt on Friday and Sunday.

:thechoice

You suck, Royce. You know it, I know it, and the American People know it.

Deuce

The Racehorse
03-08-2005, 05:12 PM
- Crede made a pretty nice leaping catch during the first inning on Saturday. OTOH, for all the press about his offseason progress in shortening his swing, it looked pretty much the same.
- Unfortunately, Uribe's swing looked the same too.

maurice, thanks for the report. :cool:

As for Crede, I was afraid of that... hopefully Joe can somehow shorten it up by opening day...

... as for Juan, he seems to have a short stroke, at least to me... he just likes to cut & slash at just about anything without any concern to life or limb.

SweetHereafter
03-08-2005, 06:47 PM
In fact, I'm going to put the peeing guy on the ID of the next person who rips on Rowand for lack of talent.

I hear you. It always made me laugh and laugh when people twice my age were dismissing Aaron as untalented overachiever/AAAA grinder......Yeah:

-quick bat
-deceptive speed and power
-instincts (though it did take him a while to get used to all the kinks in CF)

are just so damn common :redneck

He does need to continue to improve on his pitch selection as lack of true selectivity is his only weakness at this point.

SweetHereafter
03-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Does anyone think Crede is nursing a chronic back/hip injury? I mean, his bat has slowed down noticeably since 2002 - and unlike Robbie Alomar, Joe doesn't have the age excuse.

Daver
03-08-2005, 07:09 PM
I would like to post some of the pics on here to share, but not sure how to get them on here from my computer because of their size. All my pics are large in size (700+)and they say it has to be 100 or less? Can anyone help? If so I will post them.

Re-size the image using any photo program, and then post them to the WSI Photo Gallery (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/4images/) as opposed to posting them on the forums.

SweetHereafter
03-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Reports of Everett regaining bat/foot speed is encouraging to say the least. This way if Podsednik sucks, Dye continues his mediocrity against right-handers or, god forbid, Frank is forced to miss significant playing time.....Sox will survive.

We all saw how lack of DEPTH can crush playoff dreams last year.

maurice
03-08-2005, 08:33 PM
One more thing . . .

The umps chatted and joked with one another between pitches far more than in a regular-season game. I guess that's fine, but I didn't appreciate it when the 2B ump was chatting with the 1B ump while a Sox pitcher was standing on the rubber with a runner at 1B. The pitcher threw over, and the runner had to dive to get back to the base. IMO, the runner was safe, but the 1B ump had no clue. He just kinda shrugged and said safe, and then went back to his conversation with the 2B ump. Very unprofessional.

Later in the game, the same ump blew at least two calls in the Sox favor, so I guess I can't complain.