PDA

View Full Version : Todays Spring Training Starter??

GiveMeSox
03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know who today's game starter was? Im just wondering who gave up a 4 spot in the 2nd inning to colorado. Hopefully it just a minor leager.

tromcoe
03-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Who else would have one bad inning?

GARLAND

veeter
03-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Garland was scheduled to start today. Being only the secong inning, it must have been Jon.

Unregistered
03-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Yahoo said Contreras was pitching in the first, so I assume he was still pitching in the second when 4 runs were scored. Ah, spring training...

Unregistered
03-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Todd Helton just hit a 2 run shot off of Garland to make it a 6-0 game in the bottom of the 5th - I'm not sure if pitchers are pitching 5 innings yet, so this might have been a split with Contreras.

mjharrison72
03-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Where's the *official* thread in the PTC game day forum? Even though most of us are relying on Yahoo updates, it sounds like some people know more than others. Where you at, Jjav?

tadscout
03-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Where's the *official* thread in the PTC game day forum? Even though most of us are relying on Yahoo updates, it sounds like some people know more than others. Where you at, Jjav?

Yeah and no PTC thread today either... :o:

mccombe_35
03-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I know these games don't matter, but it would be nice if the pitching, hitting, D, & baserunning wasn't terrible.....

getting worried......................

Blueprint1
03-08-2005, 04:29 PM
I know these games don't matter, but it would be nice if the pitching, hitting, D, & baserunning wasn't terrible.....

getting worried......................

I keep telling myself its only spring but so far we have looked real bad.

rdivaldi
03-08-2005, 04:34 PM
I keep telling myself its only spring but so far we have looked real bad.

Bad? We've lost some close games and had a 10- 0 win. ST results are meaningless, you gotta realize that combinations of players are out in the field that would never see the light of day in the regular season. I'd be much more concerned with the overall health of the team and player mechanics.

veeter
03-08-2005, 04:34 PM

getting worried...................... I'm not so much worried as I am irritated. I can't stand constant mental errors only to have them dismissed by Ozzie. I know it's spring training but the Sox are practicing bad habits. The nature of Sox fans is to win. The baserunning has been a joke!

Tekijawa
03-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Maybe they are just working on hitting fastballs, Just like Contreras was only throwing fastballs the other day... Soon they'll work some other pitches to hit in the mix and then we'll be golden!

Jurr
03-08-2005, 04:38 PM
It's early. No big deal. I was talking with my buddy last night about ST. He's a die hard Braves fan, and has been for 20+ years. Since the Bravos have been consistently good, he says he gets worried every ST when they win. He's so used to seeing the Braves look TERRIBLE all spring training, only to win back to back to back to back....................................divisions.

Spring training...bah. It's not a great indicator of any regular season success at all.

Jurr
03-08-2005, 04:39 PM
By the way, I love seeing all of these posters with 22 and 110 posts. It's great to see new blood on this site. Keep 'em coming, folks!

Unregistered
03-08-2005, 04:50 PM
From Yahoo! Sports

Colorado (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/col) 6, Chi White Sox (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/chw) 1 Preview - Box Score - Recap

FINAL WP - JEFF FRANCIS (1-0) LP - JERMAINE DYE (0-1)
HOME RUNS: COL - TODD HELTON (1) OFF JON GARLAND IN THE 5TH

Dammit! We're gonna need Dye to start pitching well if we're going to have a shot this season! :D:

Tekijawa
03-08-2005, 04:51 PM
From the Yahoo box score:

WP - JEFF FRANCIS (1-0)
LP - JERMAINE DYE (0-1)

TIME: 0:00 ATT: 2,379

Way to go Jermaine!

mjharrison72
03-08-2005, 05:01 PM
From the Yahoo box score:

WP - JEFF FRANCIS (1-0)
LP - JERMAINE DYE (0-1)

TIME: 0:00 ATT: 2,379

Way to go Jermaine!

Ah, yes, the rare six-tool outfielder/pitcher...

Ol' No. 2
03-08-2005, 05:03 PM
I keep telling myself its only spring but so far we have looked real bad.Relax. The Yankees and Astros are both 1-4 and the Brewers are 5-0.

Soxzilla
03-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Relax. The Yankees and Astros are both 1-4 and the Brewers are 5-0.

Dammit. You beat me too it.

Oh well, I'm still going to say it.

At least we are ahead of the yankmees!:redneck

Ol' No. 2
03-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Dammit. You beat me too it.

Oh well, I'm still going to say it.

At least we are ahead of the yankmees!:redneckRJ made his first start for the Yanks.
2 IP
2 H (including 2-run HR by Chipper)
2 ER

Think he's worried?

rdivaldi
03-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Actually it doesn't sound like Contreras pitched all that terribly. According to MLB.com 1 run scored on a wild pitch (go figure) and 2 scored after an error by Crede that would have ended the inning.

EDIT: Scratch that thought, Contreras walked 3 in 3 innings. Kind of shaky.

rdivaldi
03-08-2005, 06:00 PM
And looking at the box score Garland didn't pitch too badly either (except for the home run of course).

4 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K

elrod
03-08-2005, 07:21 PM
It seems every year the Royals and Expos/Nationals have a great ST and terrible year. This year the Nats have had a great ST but will definintely stink when the season starts. Don't look at won-loss records.

However, I'm not confident in Contreras right now. Was he just throwing fastballs today?

Anywhere you can get ST statistics?

Lip Man 1
03-08-2005, 10:29 PM
According to the game story on the Tribune web site, Cooper has told Contreras nothing but fastballs for right now.

Lip

cwsfannick
03-08-2005, 10:57 PM
I realize these games do not count, but from the games I have picked up on the radio, many of the mental mistakes are being made by guys who are suppose to make the team.

Yesterday's game against the Giants we had 3 or 4 guys thrown out at home and 1 guy picked off. Ben Davis has another multiple Pass Ball game. Still failing to score runners from third with less than two outs.

You play how you practice and if we are going to consider spring training practice, then I hope these guys and coaches start taking this a bit more serious or we are going to see more of the same.

pudge
03-08-2005, 11:37 PM
According to the game story on the Tribune web site, Cooper has told Contreras nothing but fastballs for right now.

Lip

Do you think the Cubs address this in a different way? I keep hearing about all these shutout innings by Cub starters, it's a little unnerving.