PDA

View Full Version : Sox on ESPN Classic

Lip Man 1
03-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Just a heads up. ESPN's Classic 'drive through' (1 hour show only) on Wednesday, March 9 at 5PM Chicago time is showing Opening Day 1981 when the Sox beat Boston behind Fisk's late inning HR off Bob Stanley.

It's the WGN broadcast which means it's Harry and Jimmy. (The reaction after Fisk hits the HR is a classic.)

Lip

Sox-on-TV44
03-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah,that's great.But keep in mind,it's "Classic Drive Thru".Meaning,it's only trimmed into an hour.
If it's was a Duke/NC State game from oh,let's say two weeks ago,ESPN Classic would show the whole game.
It's just not the same.

Clembasbal
03-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Well, any press on the Sox on ESPN that is not negative is fine by me.

Brian26
03-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Just a heads up. ESPN's Classic 'drive through' (1 hour show only) on Wednesday, March 9 at 5PM Chicago time is showing Opening Day 1981 when the Sox beat Boston behind Fisk's late inning HR off Bob Stanley.

It's the WGN broadcast which means it's Harry and Jimmy. (The reaction after Fisk hits the HR is a classic.)

Lip

It's totally worth a look. I taped the version they showed last year (was it 2 hrs long?). The whole game is surreal to see again (Fisk in the pajama uni, Harry and Jimmy behind the mic, Hoyt coming out of the bullpen, Farmio, Chet Lemon, Fenway on a sunny day...)

crazyozzie02
03-08-2005, 12:04 PM
the Sox/SRcubs game for 2000 i believe it was. There is a couple of them:

#1-Carlos Lee's Grand Slam in the 10th (i went nuts)
:)
#2-The 15 inning game that the sox eventually won (cant remember the exact year. If some one could help with that, that would be great,

I guess its becasue they dont want to show the ALL HOLY CUBS losing. Damn National Media :angry:

santo=dorf
03-08-2005, 12:05 PM
I love that game.
Harry and Jimmy are screaming at one of the bullpen guys and they get all excited when Farmer starts warming up.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-08-2005, 12:53 PM

Lip

Fantastic! I never seem to be able to catch them on Classic. :bandance:

1000ml
03-08-2005, 01:00 PM

#2-The 15 inning game that the sox eventually won (cant remember the exact year. If some one could help with that, that would be great,

I guess its becasue they dont want to show the ALL HOLY CUBS losing. Damn National Media :angry:

Maybe this game from 6/9/00? http://baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200006090CHA

mike squires
03-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks Lip! I'll be watching. The on thing that would make this any better is if if it were at Old Comiskey. But it was fitting that he was in Boston and greeted his former team with a dinger. :) Can't wait to hear Harry and Jimmy! IT's been a long time.

Foulke You
03-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Maybe this game from 6/9/00? http://baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200006090CHA

The Carlos Lee Grand Slam game was in June 2001 at Comiskey Park. Carlos Lee takes Cubs reliever Courtney Duncan yard for a grand slam and a White Sox winner. June 2002 at Comiskey Park was the 8-0 comeback game where Paulie got konked on the head by Kerry "Woods" and then blasted 2 homers in a 13-9 win. The June 2000 game was the Ray Durham double in extra innings win after Corky tied it up with a homer in the 9th. So many dramatic wins against the hated Cubs.

Foulke You was in attendance for all 3 games.:cool:

chisoxfan64
03-08-2005, 04:11 PM
That was a great game, caught it last time they showed it and will be sure to watch again. Thanks for the heads up.

Irishsox1
03-08-2005, 04:18 PM
The Carlos Lee Grand Slam game was in June 2001 at Comiskey Park. Carlos Lee takes Cubs reliever Courtney Duncan yard for a grand slam and a White Sox winner. June 2002 at Comiskey Park was the 8-0 comeback game where Paulie got konked on the head by Kerry "Woods" and then blasted 2 homers in a 13-9 win. The June 2000 game was the Ray Durham double in extra innings win after Corky tied it up with a homer in the 9th. So many dramatic wins against the hated Cubs.

Foulke You was in attendance for all 3 games.:cool:

The 2000 15 inning game against the Cubs was so frustrating. The Sox had a 5 to 3 lead with 2 outs, but there was 1 man on and Sammy was up against Foulke. Sammy had struck out 3 times already, but typical Foulke, he gives up a monster 2 run homerun to the steroid freek and the game goes 6 more innings till Ray doubles in Herbert Perry. A very long game, that shouldn't have been. Foulke had a knack for blowing big games...when he was with the White Sox.

Brian26
03-08-2005, 04:42 PM
The 2000 15 inning game against the Cubs was so frustrating. The Sox had a 5 to 3 lead with 2 outs, but there was 1 man on and Sammy was up against Foulke. Sammy had struck out 3 times already, but typical Foulke, he gives up a monster 2 run homerun to the steroid freek and the game goes 6 more innings till Ray doubles in Herbert Perry. A very long game, that shouldn't have been. Foulke had a knack for blowing big games...when he was with the White Sox.

:hawk

<Sosa's crack of the cork-filled bat.>

(SIGH)

"High and deep."

(PAUSE)

"And we got ourselves a 5-5 ballgame."

SpammySosa
03-09-2005, 07:21 PM

Lip

I thoroughly enjoyed taking that trip down memory lane today. I called up my best friend(who unfortunately is a sCrUBS fan)to have him tune in. His reaction:"It's weird hearing Harry back when he was more coherent and sober!" :D:

mjharrison72
03-09-2005, 09:03 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed taking that trip down memory lane today. I called up my best friend(who unfortunately is a sCrUBS fan)to have him tune in. His reaction:"It's weird hearing Harry back when he was more coherent and sober!" :D:
My thanks also to Lip for the heads-up... the game was very slightly before my time, but Fisk will always be my favorite, and that 3-run homer brought back some great memories of him as a member of the Sox.

mike squires
03-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Awesome. The players, uniforms announcers... everything. It was great to hear McConell again too....I always kind of wished Chet Lemon had stuck around and playled on that 83 team...It was weird to hear Harry so clearly and excitable.

TommyJohn
03-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Why doesn't mlb.com put THAT game on their classics selection? Hell, it has
the Red Sox!

Brian26
03-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Awesome. The players, uniforms announcers... everything. It was great to hear McConell again too....I always kind of wished Chet Lemon had stuck around and playled on that 83 team...It was weird to hear Harry so clearly and excitable.

Did McConnell do the middle innings of that game? I don't seem to recall that from last year's broadcast of that game.

Lip Man 1
03-10-2005, 12:31 PM
According to the White Sox media guide Joe did not do TV in 1981 just radio.

Lip

Brian26
03-10-2005, 03:54 PM
According to the White Sox media guide Joe did not do TV in 1981 just radio.

Lip

I didn't think so. What the heck is Squires talking about? :?:

mike squires
03-10-2005, 09:28 PM
McConnell in fact broadcasted the middle innings (at least in this particuar game) Remember, Harry would do the 5th and 6th on the radio. (For the Cubs too) I imagine McConnell swapped with Harry when he did this. McConnell sounded like the Boston announcer when Evans hit the homer. He got pretty excited...Something I totally hated about Chip Carrey (among other things)

Brian26
03-10-2005, 09:56 PM
McConnell in fact broadcasted the middle innings (at least in this particuar game) Remember, Harry would do the 5th and 6th on the radio. (For the Cubs too) I imagine McConnell swapped with Harry when he did this. McConnell sounded like the Boston announcer when Evans hit the homer. He got pretty excited...Something I totally hated about Chip Carrey (among other things)

I'll check the tape. I didn't catch this at all.

mike squires
03-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Unless for some odd reason they put the radio feed into this telecast. I swear McConnell did a few innings though. IT was clearly him...Let me know after you check so I know I'm not crazy!

dugwood31
03-11-2005, 12:04 AM
That was definitely McConnell. I vaguely remember that back then the announcers switched for the middle innings all the time. I also remember that how they did it depended on the station they were on.

mikehuff
03-11-2005, 03:47 PM
I forgot to post after I watched this. I taped the game and watched it later that night. I was only 4 when this game happened so I don't ever remember Harry and Piersal together, but man were they excited. When Ron LeFlore led of the game with a hit they went absolutely nuts!

It's sucked that they never showed Harold batting. Only once you see him catch a fly ball in right and once they did an update on what happened in the innings they cut out. I think they showed him striking out.

Brian26
03-12-2005, 11:47 PM

Squires, you were correct. That was absolutely McConnell doing the 5th inning and the top of the 6th. Good call! I just checked the tape today.

Brian26
03-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Unless for some odd reason they put the radio feed into this telecast. I swear McConnell did a few innings though. IT was clearly him...Let me know after you check so I know I'm not crazy!

The game was shown on Channel 9. It seems like McConnell switched over to do tv for the middle innings. Piersall wasn't with him.

mike squires
03-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Squires, you were correct. That was absolutely McConnell doing the 5th inning and the top of the 6th. Good call! I just checked the tape today.

Apology accepted!:tongue:

Chrisaway
03-13-2005, 12:05 AM

I guess they dont have a whole lotta games to show then huh?

cubhater77
03-13-2005, 12:47 AM
does anyone actually have broadcasts from when the sox were on ch.44? believe it or not, i'm 28, but actually remember watching the games with my dad. i remember watching spectorman and hee haw on there also, lol i'm pretty sure 44 would air replays during the overnight hours, bc i remember dad getting ready for work, and me hearing harry exclaim, "sox win, sox win!" if i called 44, would they be willing to help me obtain footage? i'm curious if anyone has advice. i'm actually thinking of doing a class project on ch. 44 pre- ONTV.

mike squires
03-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Oh yeah, Spectraman!!! I ask people all the time if they remember that show and a lot of them don' know what I'm talking about. I don't think he came up in the superhero thead...

Lip Man 1
03-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Cubhater:

You can get actual MLB TV video from the 60's and 70's through Phoenix Communications. They are the 'official' video arm of MLB. I seriously doubt WFLD-TV has anything from thirty years ago.

One issue though with Phoenix.....they charge 1,600 dollars per MINUTE for video!!!!!

You might also try the Chicago Museum of Broadcasting.

Lip

LongLiveFisk
03-13-2005, 12:18 PM
One issue though with Phoenix.....they charge 1,600 dollars per MINUTE for video!!!!!

:bundy
Remind me never to order from them....especially an entire game!

SOXSINCE'70
03-13-2005, 06:47 PM

I sat in the upper deck down the left field line near the foul pole
for that 15 inning game.When "Scammy" went yard,I sat next to
sCrUBbie fans who cheered as if the Crybaby Bears had just
won the WS.Thank God Durham's double eluded third baseman Willie
Greene in the 15th.And Perry did score the winning run.IIRC,
Frank went yard in that game as well.:cool: :cool: