PDA

View Full Version : What do you do on Opening Day?

ChicagoHoosier
03-08-2005, 11:35 AM
This year will be my first Opening Day at US Cellular Field (or Comiskey for that matter). Wanted to see what this group does on Opening Day if you're going to the ballpark. Do you get there early and tailgate? Do you go to the bullpen bar? Do you pre-party at a local bar like Jimbo's?

Does the team have any festivities for Opening Day? I know i get a magnet schedule.

skobabe8
03-08-2005, 11:53 AM
This year will be my first Opening Day at US Cellular Field (or Comiskey for that matter). Wanted to see what this group does on Opening Day if you're going to the ballpark. Do you get there early and tailgate? Do you go to the bullpen bar? Do you pre-party at a local bar like Jimbo's?

Does the team have any festivities for Opening Day? I know i get a magnet schedule.

Just :gulp:! I hope its not as cold as it was last year!

southsidesoxfan1
03-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Make sure to practice holding your piss over the next several weeks. I don't know if its the cold weather or what, but the bathroom lines can be just out of hand. Also, try to hold your liquor. I was in the bullpen bar last opening day, and somebody was over served and spewed all over the floor near the front entrance. The puke sawdust from the days of elementary school were laid out and me and my girl sat and laughed at the many folks who stepped into that stuff. So watch your step!

skottyj242
03-08-2005, 12:07 PM
I don't think it was too cold last year, I think I even took my jacket off at one point. I suggest getting down there early and getting a good spot in the parking lot and grilling up some food and drinking beer. I have to work in the morning this year so I have to take the Red Line down so I hope some kind hearted Sox fans might have an extra beer or two they can spare.

Ol' No. 2
03-08-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't think it was too cold last year, I think I even took my jacket off at one point. I suggest getting down there early and getting a good spot in the parking lot and grilling up some food and drinking beer. I have to work in the morning this year so I have to take the Red Line down so I hope some kind hearted Sox fans might have an extra beer or two they can spare.Are you kidding??? Last year was the coldest opening day in quite a few years. It was brutal. But at least we didn't have the 3 hr rain delay like we had in 2003.

mikehuff
03-08-2005, 12:22 PM
I went to the second game a couple of years ago and it was 27 degrees out there with the sun shining. When the sun went down I felt like I was going to die.

Also, I don't think I have ever waited in line for the bathroom. No longer than standing behind a couple of dudes at the urinals. Nothing out the door or anything.

mccombe_35
03-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Are you kidding??? Last year was the coldest opening day in quite a few years. It was brutal. But at least we didn't have the 3 hr rain delay like we had in 2003.

no kidding! I was at the home opener in '03. luckily I was in the "terrace suite" way down the left field line. I remember thinking - Loaiza? For the home opener? Great...... 21 wins later.......

Tekijawa
03-08-2005, 12:44 PM
I get drunk eat nachos and call in sick for work the next day... Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

mccombe_35
03-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I went to the second game a couple of years ago and it was 27 degrees out there with the sun shining. When the sun went down I felt like I was going to die.

Also, I don't think I have ever waited in line for the bathroom. No longer than standing behind a couple of dudes at the urinals. Nothing out the door or anything.

The 2nd home game in '03? I was at that game too! Sat in the seats above the Bullpen Bar (for the extra $10, wristband...) for the 1st time. It was freezing! Read in the paper the next day that it was the coldest game in the history of the New Comiskey / Cell. Still got the black Sox skull cap I bought that day!

The '03 season was the most fun I've had at the ballpark. Made it to about 35 games that Summer. Seemed like Frank was always hitting HRs & they won almost all of them.....

Kuzman
03-08-2005, 12:47 PM
I get drunk eat nachos and call in sick for work the next day... Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

No, thats on the north side ;)

Im going to my first opening day as well this year, and im usually pretty good on holding it becuase i cant drink at the games, 21 is right around the corner ;)

SoxWillWin
03-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Last year was my first opening day. We brought our kids and got sit in the handicapped section right next to Nancy Faust. It was great. We did nothing particularly special though.

NonetheLoaiza
03-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately, I will be in class when the Sox open their season, so I can't go to the game. But I will be watching on tv. Let's hope it doesn't start off like last season did...

mccombe_35
03-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately, I will be in class when the Sox open their season, so I can't go to the game. But I will be watching on tv. Let's hope it doesn't start off like last season did...

Ughghghghghgggg..... That was a heatbreaker.... Wait 6 months for baseball & that's the 1st game we come back to?

Like last year I'll have to listen to the early season games on the radio at work. Stupid day games........:wink:

StillMissOzzie
03-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Are you kidding??? Last year was the coldest opening day in quite a few years. It was brutal. But at least we didn't have the 3 hr rain delay like we had in 2003.

Brutal is right, deuce. I remember springing for a couple of knit headbands and a pair of Sox socks for my son to use as mittens!

SMO
:gulp:

BainesHOF
03-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately, I will be in class when the Sox open their season, so I can't go to the game.

What self-respecting Sox fan goes to class on Opening Day?!

To me, Opening Day is a bit overrated. I always thought attending the second home game was cool because almost nobody is there except for the die-hards. That said, here are some Opening Day memories:

- Nothing beats Carlton Fisk belting a grand slam in the 1981 home opener. The place was packed to see Fisk's debut and the man delivered in grand fashion, just as he did a few days earlier in the season opener in Boston.

- Meeting three other die-hards at an SIU bar called "The Cellar" for an opener in the late '90s. It was like we were in a cult. It was afternoon and here we were in this dark bar watching our Sox open the season. None of us knew each other, but it was the only place in Carbondale where you could watch the game. (The bar was also a good place to watch the Blackhawks. Remember them?) A nice bonus on the afternoon was the bar giving us free hot dogs all afternoon.

- That Opening Day about five years ago when the temperature was magically in in the '70s. It was just a great day and I had a good time with my dad.

Iwritecode
03-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Make sure to practice holding your piss over the next several weeks. I don't know if its the cold weather or what, but the bathroom lines can be just out of hand.

I was at opening day last year and on the way out my friend was unlucky enough to get in line behind the guy that was determined to set the world record for the longest pee ever. I swear three people went through the line next to him by the time he was done. :o: Being as crowded as it was, long lines at the bathrooms should have been expected. Anytime you get more than 30,000 people there it's going to happen.

Hopefully we'll have that same "problem" for all 81 home games this year. :D:

Ol' No. 2
03-08-2005, 01:38 PM
no kidding! I was at the home opener in '03. luckily I was in the "terrace suite" way down the left field line. I remember thinking - Loaiza? For the home opener? Great...... 21 wins later.......I get there early and spent the rain delay in '03 sitting in the Stadium Club drinking Sam Adams and eating nachos and buffalo wings.:smile:

Jerko
03-08-2005, 01:39 PM
This opening day will be busy for Jerko. First off, I will be at the game, then the party moves a few blocks east down 35th street to De La Salle, where there is a party for the championship game of March Madness.

MUsoxfan
03-08-2005, 01:44 PM

In '03 somebody I got a free ticket for opening day up at the Crumbling Confines (I'm not in the position to turn down free baseball) and it was snowing. A week later, I hadn't learned my lesson and went to Opening Day at the Cell. 3 hour weather delay and freaking cold! Immediately after the game I had to shoot up to Milwaukee for a pub crawl and there was a blizzard up there. Then last year was ungodly cold.....I'm planning for the arctic this year. I'm gonna have to avoid beer while tailgating and start depending on the Captian to keep my warm:D:

Palehose13
03-08-2005, 01:48 PM
1. Call in sick to work.

2. Pack the Jeep and head to Chicago.

3. TAILGATE! (Hopefully with fellow WSI-er's.)

southsidesoxfan1
03-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I was at opening day last year and on the way out my friend was unlucky enough to get in line behind the guy that was determined to set the world record for the longest pee ever. I swear three people went through the line next to him by the time he was done. :o: Being as crowded as it was, long lines at the bathrooms should have been expected. Anytime you get more than 30,000 people there it's going to happen.

Hopefully we'll have that same "problem" for all 81 home games this year. :D:

I just think that there is some correlation between the first game of the season and the overuse of the bathrooms. Fans bladders are not in season form, and alas, the greater the lines. I've been to many games with just as many people, without nearly the long waits. Playoffs in 2000 didn't have nearly as bad long lines. Other things that suffer quality wise for the first game of the season is the speed and cooking of the food vendors. Watch out for non or over burnt dogs as your standing in line. I say best way to enjoy opening day is in a new Club level seat, and frequent trips to the Skyline bar.:gulp:

HebrewHammer
03-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Actually I'll be back from Japan just in time for Opening Day. On Friday I get to see what Opening Day for the Yomuiri Giants is like(can't wait), then I hop on a plane sunday to make it back for the REAL Opening Day.

Last year was insanely cold, but I'd rather have it cold than rainy like 03, that plus the 74 hour rain delay made for quite the endurance test.

SoxFan78
03-08-2005, 02:34 PM
My buddies and I get the grill and cooler all packed up and ready to go. Get down to the field early and tailgate until about 20 min before first pitch. Its a great time because that event opens up the spring season. First time grilling all year, first time partying outside all year, closing the door on Winter, what a great time.

I love opening day so much, Ive even included it in my signature.

Spicoli
03-08-2005, 02:34 PM
What self-respecting Sox fan goes to class on Opening Day?!

- Meeting three other die-hards at an SIU bar called "The Cellar" for an opener in the late '90s. It was like we were in a cult. It was afternoon and here we were in this dark bar watching our Sox open the season. None of us knew each other, but it was the only place in Carbondale where you could watch the game. (The bar was also a good place to watch the Blackhawks. Remember them?) A nice bonus on the afternoon was the bar giving us free hot dogs all afternoon.

Hey, I was there! That is a great memory! Seriously. Oh, the Cellar...the proud owners of many of my student loan dollars...

OH!foracold1
03-08-2005, 05:57 PM
1. Call in sick to work.

2. Pack the Jeep and head to Chicago.

3. TAILGATE! (Hopefully with fellow WSI-er's.)

I'll be doing the same. In fact you can pick me up at the Brat Stop on the way in.:D:

Speaking about tailgating...... Are there portable johns in the parking lots?:o:

DaveIsHere
03-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Speaking about tailgating...... Are there portable johns in the parking lots?:o:

Yes there is!!

This year Just me and my lady are going, no one else to get the day off, and we dont really feel like tailgating by ourselves, any invites???

I bought a parking pass by accident, they always make you park in the crappy not good for tailgating lots. I prefer the lots by Gate 2, i believe it is

SOXintheBURGH
03-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Opening day for me, since I turned 21 two seasons ago, has been one of the highlights of my year.. More drunk than I get on St. Pattys day! :gulp:

The Racehorse
03-08-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm so envious of everyone living in the Chicagoland area. If I lived anywhere near Chicago, my ass would be a fixture at the Cell... to me, that is Living Large. :cool:

Last year I was in K.C. for the opening day of the 2004 season and, and... nevermind. :(:

Come 4 April 2005, I'll be tuned into mlb.tv and wreaking havoc in the WSI chat room... this year will be special, I can feel it. :gulp:

robiwho
03-08-2005, 09:59 PM
- That Opening Day about five years ago when the temperature was magically in in the '70s. It was just a great day and I had a good time with my dad.

Oh, that was sweet! I still cling to that memory and every year I hope we'll have the weather we had in 2000.

We have a group of 10 going this year -- my dad, brothers, husband, and friends. We've been to every home opener since 97, so it's become a big tradition.

I want Mags back
03-08-2005, 10:14 PM
...Does the team have any festivities for Opening Day? I know i get a magnet schedule.

During the Game Monday, Rooney said opening day is a Rally Sock from Espn radio 1000. Games 2-3 are schedules (I think)

rmusacch
03-08-2005, 10:45 PM

That was terrible. I had flown in for the series and trugged down there. After about 2 1/2 hours, I thought no way are they going to get this game in. I left and when I got back to my brother's, they had started the game. I was so pissed.

ChicagoHoosier
03-08-2005, 10:47 PM
I still cling to that memory and every year I hope we'll have the weather we had in 2000.

I hope we have the weather and the YEAR we had in 2000!

Here's to Opening Day! :gulp:

soxfan43
03-08-2005, 10:51 PM
It's my first opening day as well. My boss bought a bunch of tickets, so I'm pretty excited. I cant wait to tailgate and then harass whoever is playing right for the tribe from my seats down in right field.

ChicagoHoosier
03-08-2005, 10:51 PM
During the Game Monday, Rooney said opening day is a Rally Sock from Espn radio 1000. Games 2-3 are schedules (I think)

I think we're in luck We get Rally Socks AND schedules!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=cws

mike squires
03-08-2005, 11:28 PM
I've been to two opening days. 2000 with the beautiful weather as mentioned. Ray Ray's supurb diving catch with a dinger from Paulie and The Hurt. A cool thing about that game was a few days later I was at the library opening up a Sun Times with the crazy thought that.."What if I made the Sun Times..." Wouldn't you know it there I was right in the middle of the crowd waching batting practice. I couldn't believe it. I never considered myself a thief but you better believe I took that picture home with me!!! Then again in '03 with the 3 hour rain delay. I predicted ELO would throw a no hitter on this sight. I think he lost it in the 6th. My routine doesn't usually change from any other game. Get there early to watch batting practice, try to shag foul balls down the line and maybe an autograph.

My Dad used to let me skip school when I was in grade school.

chisoxmike
03-10-2005, 10:36 AM
This is what I remember from my opening day expierences...

2002- Cool day, temps were in the upper 30s/ low 40s. Ok weather for the start of April. The next day was very nice. It was in the 60s. A teal turn around.

2003- Rained like hell that day. I waited it out for two hours and thought "theres no way they would play today." When I got to my car, the turned on the radio and Ed Farmer said "Well the tarp is coming off the field."
The next day was BRUTAL! The coldest game I've ever been too. The won though, the score was something like 8-0, 9-0.

2004- Cold, cold day. We sat on the first base line which was like a wind tunnel. I also remember Juan Uribe dropping a routine fly ball in the first inning and everyone getting all over him about it.

duke of dorwood
03-10-2005, 10:44 AM
I've only missed 1 since 1969. Tailgating is the thing to do now. I long for those days when McCuddy's was shoulder to shoulder people from front door to outside in back of it. Those-were the days. To wade thru that crowd of Sox fans on an opening day was the true essence of the start of a new season.