PDA

View Full Version : Steve Phillips "Baseball Expert" for ESPN

tlebar318
03-08-2005, 07:52 AM
On Mike and Mike this morning Mike Greenberg asked him about the White Sox' chances of winning the division this year and he said he did not think so. He said they only have one power hitter now in Konerko and that at best Rowand is a good 4th outfielder and Uribe is only a "super sub" and should not be starting. He also said the pitching might be "suspect"--I respectfully disagree with EVERYTHING he said!

samram
03-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Actually, this is progress for Mr. Phillips. I heard him a couple of weeks ago on ESPN Radio and he and brain donor Karl Ravech didn't even discuss the Sox, although they did dedicate a good amount of time to the 2004 Royals- wait, I mean the 2005 Tigers.

veeter
03-08-2005, 08:08 AM
The Rowand comment cements the fact that these guys are either stupid, biased or crazy. I'm sure Mike "pencil necked, north side, yuppie" Greenberg was happy with the thoughts. Right before the Flubs dumped Shammy, Greeny said, "I certainly hope Sammy can lead the Cubs to the championship like Manny Ramirez did for Boston. It would be a cultural phenomenon for America." Scary, scary stuff.

ja1022
03-08-2005, 08:32 AM
With talent evaluation skills like that, it's no wonder that Steve Phillips is a former GM, rather than a current GM.

spawn
03-08-2005, 08:44 AM
With talent evaluation skills like that, it's no wonder that Steve Phillips is a former GM, rather than a current GM.
My thoughts exactly. I never put much credence into anything he says. One power hitter in Konerko? Last time I checked, Frank was still with the White Sox. he will be back this year. Everett is a power hitter. Dye is a power hitter. Phillips is an idiot.

One thing I heard while driving to the train station this morning that made me almost have an accident: They have a 3rd and long with Howie Long segment during commercial breaks for Mike and Mike, and he talked about the Cuban connection and what it meant for the Sox chances. He basically said if El Duque is his nasty self, and if Contreras gets it together this year, the Sox have a great chance of winning the division. Imagine that: a former football player knowing more than a former baseball exec.

wdelaney72
03-08-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't necessarily disagree with his comment about Uribe, but Rowand proved to be a quality starting OF last year. I'm not bashing Uribe, he's just not my ideal starter, but given the multiple needs we had to address this season, I'm more than happy with using Uribe as the the starting SS. It allowed upgrades to 2B, C, OF, and pitching.

I heard this driving to work today, and immediately shut off the radio. Phillips is a complete idiot.

Iguana775
03-08-2005, 09:41 AM
The Rowand comment cements the fact that these guys are either stupid, biased or crazy. I'm sure Mike "pencil necked, north side, yuppie" Greenberg was happy with the thoughts. Right before the Flubs dumped Shammy, Greeny said, "I certainly hope Sammy can lead the Cubs to the championship like Manny Ramirez did for Boston. It would be a cultural phenomenon for America." Scary, scary stuff.

I was told that Greeny said the Sox should be considered to win the division.

eriqjaffe
03-08-2005, 09:43 AM
I was told that Greeny said the Sox should be considered to win the division.You are correct, I heard Greeny say that myself on my way to work this morning. Golic agreed with him, FWIW.

NonetheLoaiza
03-08-2005, 09:45 AM
I have to issue the same sentiments as some posters earlier. This is coming from the same guy who absolutely DESTROYED the Mets. The reason the Mets are in a shamble right now is because of the great work that Steve Phillips did. Listening to what he has to say from an analyzation perspective is pointless.

Ol' No. 2
03-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Didn't Phillips make some bonehead prediction on Gamenight a few weeks ago? There were so many that day that they all run together.:nuts:

Spicoli
03-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Steve Phillips was a horrible GM, period. And now he is an analyst for ESPN? I wish I had a job where if I sucked, my credibility wasn't diminished. Next he'll be commissioner of baseball...

Church Turtle
03-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Has anyone seen Dream Job? (The espn reality American Idol wanna-be show) I have yet to watch any of it, but I understand the focus is now to select an NBA analyst. Could they have weeded out this yahoo with a selection process like that?

And all I can hope is that the guys in my fantasy league are as unknowledgeable regarding Rowand on draft day. Ought to get him dirt cheap that way:D:

tlebar318
03-08-2005, 10:12 AM
I was told that Greeny said the Sox should be considered to win the division.

Yes Greenberg did say that as Steve Phillips was coming on at the beginning of the segment and he also said the same about the Scrubs....

SoxWillWin
03-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Personally, mediots like phillips get paid for an opinion. An opinion which I would assume comes from someone else who does some kind of research. Sometimes it seems like you don't have to know sports to be a sports journalist, you just have to be dumb enough to read whatever is put in front of you. Or in the case of Moronotti, have too many after effects of mind altering drugs in the 70's. But in any case there will always be wild speculation both ways. I think some of these guys don't want to openly pick the sox to win simply because it's not the mainstream thing to do right now. They may actually like the sox to win the division, but peer pressure is a pain in the butt. I don't know, I'm just rambling and probably not making much sense. I haven't slept in a few days.

SoxSpeed22
03-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Personally, mediots like phillips get paid for an opinion. An opinion which I would assume comes from someone else who does some kind of research. Sometimes it seems like you don't have to know sports to be a sports journalist, you just have to be dumb enough to read whatever is put in front of you. Or in the case of Moronotti, have too many after effects of mind altering drugs in the 70's. But in any case there will always be wild speculation both ways. I think some of these guys don't want to openly pick the sox to win simply because it's not the mainstream thing to do right now. They may actually like the sox to win the division, but peer pressure is a pain in the butt. I don't know, I'm just rambling and probably not making much sense. I haven't slept in a few days. The same thing with right-wing nut Rush Limbaugh. He was on NFL countdown and had to resign because of crossing the line about Donovan McNabb. As I say, any idiot can be on TV as long as they're somewhat coherent. Look at all the reality shows and talk shows too. I don't need to go there.
:moron "Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

SoxWillWin
03-08-2005, 11:11 AM
:moron "Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

PAPChiSox729
03-08-2005, 05:32 PM
I would like to say that we are 'Under the Radar', but for Phillips to say that Rowand, who hit over .300 last season and had 20+ HRs, is a 4th outfielder is completely idiotic. You would think that an expert that gets as much publicity as Phillips would actually have a bit of credibility.

MRKARNO
03-08-2005, 06:05 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/mlb/2003/0505/photo/s_phillips_i.jpg

"Mo Vaugn, Cliff Floyd and Mike Cameron are top-tier MLB players and are worth a million billion dollars! Oh by the way, the White Sox in 2005 are going to finish in fourth place."

Stroker Ace
03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Steve Phillips failed as a GM for THE METS! How can he be considered an "expert"

zach074
03-08-2005, 07:46 PM
On Mike and Mike this morning Mike Greenberg asked him about the White Sox' chances of winning the division this year and he said he did not think so. He said they only have one power hitter now in Konerko and that at best Rowand is a good 4th outfielder and Uribe is only a "super sub" and should not be starting. He also said the pitching might be "suspect"--I respectfully disagree with EVERYTHING he said!

Rowand a 4th outfielder are you kidding me? I wish we had a 4th outfielder who could bat .300

Rocklive99
03-08-2005, 07:50 PM
No wonder the Mets never won

LOL! The new National's GM got a job a Phillips is still stuck doing ST games

paciorek1983
03-08-2005, 08:53 PM
The same thing with right-wing nut Rush Limbaugh. He was on NFL countdown and had to resign because of crossing the line about Donovan McNabb. As I say, any idiot can be on TV as long as they're somewhat coherent. Look at all the reality shows and talk shows too. I don't need to go there.
"

He had to resign because the left-wing media(which espn is part of abc) can't handle someone who doesn't have an opinion that agrees with their own. If anyone paid any attention to the show that day, NONE of the other guys on the show had a problem with what he said. It all started in Philly--2 days later.

As for Mr. Phillips, he has the right to his opinion. But, I do believe that the Sox get overlooked by all media people because they're not the "flavor of the day"-----yet. Most in the media don't want to be looked at as "stupid", so they always go for the so-called obvious choices. Anyone could look at who the Sox lost and say what he said. People just look at the "how much" stats, instead of looking at the "when" stats. And yes, Philips also conveniently overlooked the fact that they have Frank, Dye and Everett.