PDA

View Full Version : Borchard out of options?

DrCrawdad
03-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Is it true that Joe is out of options? I hate to just give him away and get nothing in return.

Late bloomer

Borchard hit two home runs, including a solo shot in the sixth, for his first two hits of the spring.

Borchard prefers to stay with the Sox even though he is out of options and risks being claimed on waivers by another team if he isn't on the Opening Day roster.

"I'm in a good situation here," Borchard said.

Manager Ozzie Guillen stressed that Borchard and several of his younger players will get a fair chance to show their ability.

"When this kid hits, he hits it good," Guillen said. "So far, he's had a good spring training. He's going to get many at-bats to get a good look to see if he can do it." - Cubune

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-07-2005, 11:43 PM
This was brought up a few weeks ago in a similar thread. I did a forum search and found out that he has 1 option left. Although I'm not sure if that poster was correct.

HITMEN OF 77
03-07-2005, 11:45 PM
I think he has 1 option left as well. I'd hate to see him walk and get nothing in return, but after last years stint, I don't know.

balke
03-07-2005, 11:59 PM
If claimed off waivers, does the other team get his salary? And how much would that be?

jake27
03-08-2005, 12:05 AM
he did look really good today. i hate to be saying this but keeping him in the minors and if he does well, sign him to another 1 or 2 yr minor league contract wouldnt be a bad idea. this guy kills the ball when he makes contact. he has a ton of talent, just doesnt show it (mabye kind of like billy beane). again i see no harm in keeping him in AAA if his contract wont be too bad and if he doesnt mind staying there... and of course if he preforms there.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-08-2005, 12:46 AM
KW confirmed it a few days ago

he has 1 year left.

not that anyone cares, but ill bring it up.

david kelton of the cubs is out of option years and if he doesn't make the squad this year, he becomes a FA. for those of you who dont like crede at 3B for the Sox, might Kelton be interesting enough for you to try out? i dont know much about him so i wont comment on that yet. i do remember him coming up with a lot of hype.

California Sox
03-08-2005, 03:16 AM
david kelton of the cubs is out of option years and if he doesn't make the squad this year, he becomes a FA. for those of you who dont like crede at 3B for the Sox, might Kelton be interesting enough for you to try out? i dont know much about him so i wont comment on that yet. i do remember him coming up with a lot of hype.

Unfortunately, Kelton cannot play 3b. It's a mental thing, he can't throw. He's a full-time outfielder now.

SoxFan48
03-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Borchard is not going to start and most probably not going to make the 25 man roster. He has to be miserable with his situation.

Let him go. There may be a roster spot in Tampa, Pittsburgh or other some outpost that he could fill. Keeping him stuck in Triple A with no where to go is just awful. Put the guy on waivers and let him have his freedom.

jabrch
03-08-2005, 08:04 AM

ABSOLUTELY NOT

Kelton can't play 3B. The Cubs moved him to OF BEFORE they got Aramis Ramirez because he can't handle the position. I have 0 interest in him. He's got AAAA written all over him. If Crede doesn't work out, we can pursue other options around the deadline.

mikehuff
03-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Is it true that Joe is out of options? I hate to just give him away and get nothing in return.

Would you rather see him given away or forced on the team again because the Sox made a huge mistake signing him? That's what I'm worried about.

Remember, this guy once had a huge name, then a big name, then a good name, then he had potential, then he "might need a change of scenery." And all that time our genius GM was calling him "untouchable." Now that all of his value is gone we have wasted all of our money.

Ol' No. 2
03-08-2005, 09:07 AM

he has 1 year left.

david kelton of the cubs is out of option years and if he doesn't make the squad this year, he becomes a FA. for those of you who dont like crede at 3B for the Sox, might Kelton be interesting enough for you to try out? i dont know much about him so i wont comment on that yet. i do remember him coming up with a lot of hype.Do you mean that the Trib reporter didn't know what he was talking about? I'm shocked!

DrCrawdad
03-08-2005, 09:23 AM
ABSOLUTELY NOT

Kelton can't play 3B. The Cubs moved him to OF BEFORE they got Aramis Ramirez because he can't handle the position. I have 0 interest in him. He's got AAAA written all over him. If Crede doesn't work out, we can pursue other options around the deadline.

You're right, Kelton is NOT a third baseman. The Cubbies wanted Kelton to play third, but the guy couldn't play the position so the Cubbies have moved him to the outfield.

mike squires
03-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Say Borchard has a HUGE spring and puts up power numbers, doubles in the gap and cuts down on his K's. WHere would we put him. OR does it matter how good spring he has.There really isn't room for him. WE can't send Timo down can we?

Deadguy
03-08-2005, 09:30 AM
If claimed off waivers, does the other team get his salary? And how much would that be?

Just guessing here, but probably the league minimum. What the Sox invested in him (the 5 million dollar signing bonus), is gone, so cutting him loose would not be a financially motivated move.

DrCrawdad
03-08-2005, 09:31 AM
One other thing about Kelton, his numbers in the minors are unimpressive.

Last season Kelton hit .248 in 420 AB, 68 RBI, 19 HR. That's the reason the Cubbies are looking first at Dubois as LF rather than Kelton.

Ol' No. 2
03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Say Borchard has a HUGE spring and puts up power numbers, doubles in the gap and cuts down on his K's. WHere would we put him. OR does it matter how good spring he has.There really isn't room for him. WE can't send Timo down can we?If JoeB hit .400 with 12 HR he'd still get sent down to AAA. It's only ST pitching after all. The only way you'll see him in a Sox uni after April 4 is if he really gets it together in AAA and just breaks out.

rmusacch
03-08-2005, 10:00 AM

he has 1 year left.

I don't think he does. He has been up for parts of three seasons now and this is what I found in regards to that.

A player who has been in the Major Leagues for parts of three different seasons is out of options, and must clear waivers in order to be sent down beginning with his fourth big league season.

MisterB
03-08-2005, 10:31 AM
I don't think he does. He has been up for parts of three seasons now and this is what I found in regards to that.

A player who has been in the Major Leagues for parts of three different seasons is out of options, and must clear waivers in order to be sent down beginning with his fourth big league season.

That description isn't entirely accurate. Borchard was a late season callup in 2002, and wasn't optioned back to the minors until spring training of 2003. That means '03 was his first option year, although he had a partial season in '02. So he's had 2 option years: 2003 and 2004; and he still has one left.

mweflen
03-08-2005, 10:37 AM
If Joe hits .500 with 15 HR, 30 BB and no K's through spring, would he make the team?

I mean, I think the guy stinks (even if he is a nice cuddly teddy bearof a human being), and I hated watching him last year more than I hated watching Willie. But if he really busted out, wouldn't he be a better bench option than Timo? He costs a lot less money in terms of current payroll.

Ol' No. 2
03-08-2005, 10:39 AM
If Joe hits .500 with 15 HR, 30 BB and no K's through spring, would he make the team?

I mean, I think the guy stinks (even if he is a nice cuddly teddy bearof a human being), and I hated watching him last year more than I hated watching Willie. But if he really busted out, wouldn't he be a better bench option than Timo? He costs a lot less money in terms of current payroll.If you really knew he had busted out, that might be so. But I don't think you could possibly conclude that after hitting ST pitching for a few weeks, especially given his history. If he tears it up in AAA for 2-3 months, then maybe.

SweetHereafter
03-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Hard not to root for Joe, class-act. If only he was quicker and more coordinated....:whiner:

But yeah, if he has a ST ala Rowand last year, and then rips up AAA like Willie Harris did in 2003.....I would love to see Borchard in the bigs again.

wilburaga
03-08-2005, 12:42 PM
That description isn't entirely accurate. Borchard was a late season callup in 2002, and wasn't optioned back to the minors until spring training of 2003. That means '03 was his first option year, although he had a partial season in '02. So he's had 2 option years: 2003 and 2004; and he still has one left.

Exactly right, Mister B. Joe's got one option year left, and barring some injuries in Spring Training, that year will be 2005.

W

yoester
03-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Borchard is not going to make the team. He got cut in Winterball, how embarrassing is that!

DrCrawdad
03-08-2005, 10:11 PM
YESTERDAY:
...Borchard prefers to stay with the Sox even though he is out of options and risks being claimed on waivers by another team if he isn't on the Opening Day roster.

TODAY:
Outfielder Joe Borchard has one minor-league option remaining, so the Sox could send him down without taking the risk of losing him.

Nice start for the Cubune's new Sox beat writer. In Cubune tradition, no admission of a error.

ode to veeck
03-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Now with Tivo I was able to watch the replay of yesterday's game, including Joe's HRs, the first one with little arc whatsoever, that said, its still like the early days of ST

Cubbiesuck13
03-09-2005, 05:00 AM
I watched him in a couple of AAA games and he looks good. It seems he just can't hit good pitching. He tries hard too, in one of his first games after being sent down last summer he had a couple of hits and was energetic in the dugout. He looked like he was having a great time, I hope he gets his stuff together one day.

DrCrawdad
03-09-2005, 09:40 AM
YESTERDAY:
...Borchard prefers to stay with the Sox even though he is out of options and risks being claimed on waivers by another team if he isn't on the Opening Day roster.

TODAY:
Outfielder Joe Borchard has one minor-league option remaining, so the Sox could send him down without taking the risk of losing him.

Nice start for the Cubune's new Sox beat writer. In Cubune tradition, no admission of a error.

Actually, I'm glad that Gonzales at least corrected the matter.

progers0826
03-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Mark's note on Borchard being out of options was based on something I passed on to him, so blame me, not him. I just had the wrong information. Unfortunately, sometimes reporters do make mistakes (as readers can and will attest). But we are trying. Anyway, keep reading Mark. You will like his work -- like the note on Corwin Malone in today's Tribune. He has more of a feel for the entire organization than most Chicago beat writers. I do believe that the readers who care the most about the White Sox will enjoy his attention to detail. I'll be very surprised if by the All-Star break you guys won't have concluded he's a pleasant surrpise.

mdep524
03-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Unfortunately, sometimes reporters do make mistakes (as readers can and will attest).
Haha, you noticed. :cool:

But we are trying. Anyway, keep reading Mark. You will like his work -- like the note on Corwin Malone in today's Tribune. He has more of a feel for the entire organization than most Chicago beat writers. I do believe that the readers who care the most about the White Sox will enjoy his attention to detail. I'll be very surprised if by the All-Star break you guys won't have concluded he's a pleasant surrpise.
Glad to hear it, Phil, and thanks for taking the time to post. I hope you're right about Gonzales. :cheers:

Now about that "Ozzie is a hypocrite company man for calling out Maggs" article you wrote last week....

Ol' No. 2
03-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Mark's note on Borchard being out of options was based on something I passed on to him, so blame me, not him. I just had the wrong information. Unfortunately, sometimes reporters do make mistakes (as readers can and will attest). But we are trying. Anyway, keep reading Mark. You will like his work -- like the note on Corwin Malone in today's Tribune. He has more of a feel for the entire organization than most Chicago beat writers. I do believe that the readers who care the most about the White Sox will enjoy his attention to detail. I'll be very surprised if by the All-Star break you guys won't have concluded he's a pleasant surrpise.As a matter of fact, what I've read from Gonzalez so far has been a big improvement from what we've seen out of Trib writers in the past. If the worst thing we can accuse him of is a minor mistake like this we'll be happy campers. (Well, some will NEVER be happy, but most of us, anyway.)

DrCrawdad
03-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Mark's note on Borchard being out of options was based on something I passed on to him, so blame me, not him. I just had the wrong information. Unfortunately, sometimes reporters do make mistakes (as readers can and will attest). But we are trying. Anyway, keep reading Mark. You will like his work -- like the note on Corwin Malone in today's Tribune. He has more of a feel for the entire organization than most Chicago beat writers. I do believe that the readers who care the most about the White Sox will enjoy his attention to detail. I'll be very surprised if by the All-Star break you guys won't have concluded he's a pleasant surrpise.

Thanks for the candor. It's appreciated.

My initial remarks were a bit too harsh. I'm glad Mark took the opportunity to publish the correction.

I look forward to reading Mark's reports on the Sox.

rdivaldi
03-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Now with Tivo I was able to watch the replay of yesterday's game, including Joe's HRs, the first one with little arc whatsoever, that said, its still like the early days of ST

I must say, I got my TiVo about a week before the season started and I absolutely love the fact that I can record multiple games and access them whenever I want. Love it!