PDA

View Full Version : Twins: Mauer Reports Knee Soreness.

Mickster
03-07-2005, 11:10 PM
According to THIS (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-twinsmauerreportskne&prov=fanball&type=lgns) article.

Unsure if it will be a continuing problem for the young backstop......

santo=dorf
03-07-2005, 11:27 PM
:boston
"Looks like I'll have to fantasize about prunes tonight instead."

SOXintheBURGH
03-07-2005, 11:58 PM
"Looks like I'll have to fantasize about prunes tonight instead."

God I know.. its so sad. Could you imagine if Mauer and Varitek traded spaces?

FightingBillini
03-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Gammons last night:
"Mauer is greatly improved. He is the best young player in the American League. If he stays healthy, and he will, he will dominate the game for a long time. This kis is amazing, he will be fun to watch."

Yeah right, Boston. He is REALLY healthy. The big deal made about Mauer is a joke. I don't care if he hits like Ty Cobb, its BAD news when a player as young as him has had such horrible knee problems, let alone for a catcher. He will be DHing full time by age 26, and out of the game by age 30.

Jurr
03-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Keep the bad news coming for the Twinks.

Jurr
03-08-2005, 02:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2007349

There's the link. Yeee hawww.

ma-gaga
03-08-2005, 02:22 PM
He will be DHing full time by age 26, and out of the game by age 30.

oh. So he'll "only" have a 9 year career??

shucks, that's too bad.

Palehose13
03-08-2005, 02:40 PM
oh. So he'll "only" have a 9 year career??

shucks, that's too bad.

I understand what you are saying, but I think he meant instead of being the phenom that he was proclaimed to be.

mjharrison72
03-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Damn... and I was going to draft him to my fantasy team. No teal.

California Sox
03-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Damn... and I was going to draft him to my fantasy team. No teal.

I drafted him last year. He was good before he was hurt. As much as I want bad things to happen to the Twinks, he seems like a nice kid and I can't wish ill on him. I do believe, long term, that he may have to swith to 3B, though.

Foulke You
03-08-2005, 03:51 PM
I drafted him last year. He was good before he was hurt. As much as I want bad things to happen to the Twinks, he seems like a nice kid and I can't wish ill on him. I do believe, long term, that he may have to swith to 3B, though.

I'm thinking the same thing. A position change might be in the future for Mauer. The guy has shown he can hit so far and playing a different position will help extend his career with that surgically repaired knee.

:sandy
"Surgically repaired knees? Shoot, talk to me when you've had 7 of those surgeries Mauer."

Baby Fisk
03-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Who will Pierzynski mow down at the plate now?

Hokiesox
03-08-2005, 04:35 PM

I wouldn't put that in teal. Pierzynski mowing anyone down, especially with that TC on their uniform, would be awesome to see.

Baby Fisk
03-08-2005, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't put that in teal. Pierzynski mowing anyone down, especially with that TC on their uniform, would be awesome to see.
Teal is like a rifle that I don't know how to operate. Prolly better if I hand it in to the proper authority.

:tealpolice:

munchman33
03-08-2005, 08:10 PM

Maybe Gardenhire will let Hunter get some starts behind the plate...

SweetHereafter
03-08-2005, 08:13 PM
I understand what you are saying, but I think he meant instead of being the phenom that he was proclaimed to be.

Huh? Joe Mauer, injuries and all, is an All-Star right now. At 21. Stud.

I wish he is healthy for his entire career, I don't care who he plays for. Frank Thomas typified steroid-free excellence in the 90's and Joe Mauer is that same breed of a natural player that just might "save" baseball for fans who truly love this game - I mean in the sense Bart Giamatti loved it, NOT Bud Selig. :angry:

fquaye149
03-08-2005, 08:22 PM

I wish he is healthy for his entire career, I don't care who he plays for. Frank Thomas typified steroid-free excellence in the 90's and Joe Mauer is that same breed of a natural player that just might "save" baseball for fans who truly love this game - I mean in the sense Bart Giamatti loved it, NOT Bud Selig. :angry:

wait - ok. we all admit he's got talent, but all star right now? so he's as good as i-rod, martinez, posada, and lopez?

get off the joe mauer/boston gammons crack. maybe if healthy in 3 or 4 years he will be an all star, but RIGHT NOW. AT 21. STUD? no.

he's a jeremy reed + of potential. But potential and a quarter will get you 1/4 of a cup of coffee. In a cheap restaurant.

doublem23
03-08-2005, 08:32 PM

Wait. Wait. Wait. Watch me name 5 American League catchers off the top of my head better than Joe Mauer right now, injuries and all.

Ivan Rodriguez
Javy Lopez
Victor Martinez
Jorge Posada
Jason Varitek

So unless Joe Torre plans on carrying 6-8 catchers to Detroit, uh, Joe Mauer's All-Star fate looks as good as mine. Thank god they televise the game on TV.

SweetHereafter
03-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Ivan Rodriguez
Javy Lopez
Victor Martinez
Jorge Posada
Jason Varitek

I would take Mauer over Lopez, Martinez, Posada and Tek, no question about it.

I-Rod is I-Rod, but he is getting up there in years, doesn't throw as well as he used, is an indifferent game-caller, and with recent steroid allegations, I am not sure he will be better than Mauer in 2005.

Mauer's (much like Prior) enormous talent has very little to do with Peter Gammons. It's there and that's all there's to it.

maurice
03-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Rodriguez' best season: .332 AVE, 35 HR, 113 RBI, 116 R, 25 SB
Lopez' best season: .328 AVE, 43 HR, 109 RBI, 89 R
Posada's best season: .281 AVE, 30 HR, 101 RBI, 83 R
Martinez' best season: .283 AVE, 23 HR, 108 RBI, 77 R
Varitek's best season: .273 AVE, 25 HR, 85 RBI, 63 R
Pierzynski's best season: .312 AVE, 11 HR, 74 RBI, 63 R

Mauer is a very, very long way from proving that he's capable of these numbers.

Mauer's only season: .308 AVE, 6 HR, 17 RBI, 18 R

While it's tempting to project his career numbers over 500+ ABs, that's not a valid approach, unless you also think that Jamie Burke is a lock to bat .333 with 40 doubles, 90 R, and 40% CS over a full season.

Besides, at this rate, Mauer won't catch very many MLB games anyway. You might as well start comparing him to All Star 1B / DHs. I suppose he eventually could become a 3B, but switching to that position is very difficult and time-consuming.

The Prior analogy is problematic. Unlike Prior, Mauer hasn't completed even a quarter of a full MLB season. OTOH, like Prior, Mauer is an immense talent whose future performance is called into serious question by a severe injury. Prior may never return to his All-Star-calibur stats, yet Mauer has never even produced All-Star-calibur stats in the first place. Advantage Prior.

SweetHereafter
03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Rodriguez' best season: .332 AVE, 35 HR, 113 RBI, 116 R, 25 SB
Lopez' best season: .328 AVE, 43 HR, 109 RBI, 89 R
Posada's best season: .281 AVE, 30 HR, 101 RBI, 83 R
Martinez' best season: .283 AVE, 23 HR, 108 RBI, 77 R
Varitek's best season: .273 AVE, 25 HR, 85 RBI, 63 R
Pierzynski's best season: .312 AVE, 11 HR, 74 RBI, 63 R

Mauer is a very, very long way from proving that he's capable of these numbers.

Mauer's only season: .308 AVE, 6 HR, 17 RBI, 18 R

While it's tempting to project his career numbers over 500+ ABs, that's not a valid approach, unless you also think that Jamie Burke is a lock to bat .333 with 40 doubles, 90 R, and 40% CS over a full season.

Besides, at this rate, Mauer won't catch very many MLB games anyway. You might as well start comparing him to All Star 1B / DHs. I suppose he eventually could become a 3B, but switching to that position is very difficult and time-consuming.

The Prior analogy is problematic. Unlike Prior, Mauer hasn't completed even a quarter of a full MLB season. OTOH, like Prior, Mauer is an immense talent whose future performance is called into serious question by a severe injury. Prior may never return to his All-Star-calibur stats, yet Mauer has never even produced All-Star-calibur stats in the first place. Advantage Prior.

I guarantee a mid-900 OPS for Mauer in 2005, something that neither of the aformentioned 5 will likely do. Mauer is also superior defensively at this point. Whether or not that will actually get him on the All-Star team is irrelevant as long as he merits the inclusion. He's 21, btw.

The idea behind the Prior analogy is simple: if either of these guys were in the Sox uniform, you would be creaming your pants while drafting their HOF speeches (see: Reed in 2003 and MaCarthy in 2004). They're tremendeous talents not yet in their prime. I hope both of them stay as healthy as possible, for as long as possible.

MRKARNO
03-08-2005, 09:50 PM

You might have an argument with Varitek, but otherwise that's about it. I think there are many questions as to whether or not he's better than those others you listed. Hell, there are plenty of questions as to whether he can remain the catcher.

maurice
03-08-2005, 10:07 PM
I guarantee a mid-900 OPS for Mauer in 2005

Over how many ABs? You can't guarantee his health.

Mauer is also superior defensively at this point.

Not if he can't squat for 120+ games / year. If he's moved to 1B / DH, his defensive skills become almost irrelevant, especially his arm. If he's moved to 3B, he'll start off as a very bad defensive 3B. After a few years of playing the position, he might become an adequate or even pretty good 3B, but his overall value will be significantly weakened.

The idea behind the Prior analogy is simple: if either of these guys were in the Sox uniform, you would be creaming your pants while drafting their HOF speeches (see: Reed in 2003 and MaCarthy in 2004).

:?:
From my experience, WSI has been very cautiously optimistic about McCarthy's chances. Ozzie's the one who keeps comparing him to Black Jack. As for Reed, there were no posts putting him in the HOF until KW traded him and the KW-haters came out in full force. IIRC, the consensus projection on Reed was something like "800 OPS and decent OF range with a few SBs, but limited power and arm strength."

We've been burned too many times to make any silly "guarantees" about prospects posting All-Star-calibur MLB numbers.

They're tremendeous talents not yet in their prime. I hope both of them stay as healthy as possible, for as long as possible.

I'm not wishing injury on anybody, but it's entirely possible that we've already seen Prior's peak performance, and Mauer may never become a regular MLB catcher. You're ignoring both of these points.

FightingBillini
03-08-2005, 10:23 PM
You might have an argument with Varitek, but otherwise that's about it. I think there are many questions as to whether or not he's better than those others you listed. Hell, there are plenty of questions as to whether he can remain the catcher.

:sahaf
"LIES! All lies! Javier Lopez is not fit to lick the cleats of Joe Mauer. Mauer will fight him to the death and then feast on his remains. Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek urinate on themselves in fear when thinking about how great Mauer will be. I just talked to Posada and Rodriquez, and they are retiring. That's right, they would rather retire than be humiliated and have their legacies destroyed at the hand of Lord Mauer. Last year, Mauer had a batting average of .600 with a .999OBP and 63 HR in just 38 games. Don't believe the media. He stopped playing not because he was injured, but out of pity for the helpless American League pitching. This year, he shall start 162 games, hit .900, and break records with over 100 homers. He is already the greatest catcher of all time. He shall play for 35 more years, all at catcher, leading the men from Minnesota to an unprecidented 35 consecutive championships. At his Hall of Fame ceremony, he will hold up the the decapitated head of Johnny Bench, symbolizing that he is the greatest ever. Right Peter?"

"I don't know about you, but I actually dream about this kid. Last night, it was me and Joe Mauer in the back of a '57 Chevy. It was a steamy dream to say the least. Sometimes I think about him when I pleasure myself. He is clearly the greatest young player in all of baseball, and by the end of this season, he will be considered the best catcher in the game. I only hope that he can find the time to make an old man's dream come true."

FightingBillini
03-08-2005, 10:29 PM
I guarantee a mid-900 OPS for Mauer in 2005, something that neither of the aformentioned 5 will likely do. Mauer is also superior defensively at this point. Whether or not that will actually get him on the All-Star team is irrelevant as long as he merits the inclusion. He's 21, btw.

The idea behind the Prior analogy is simple: if either of these guys were in the Sox uniform, you would be creaming your pants while drafting their HOF speeches (see: Reed in 2003 and MaCarthy in 2004). They're tremendeous talents not yet in their prime. I hope both of them stay as healthy as possible, for as long as possible.

I guarantee his OPS will be significantly lower. However, you seem like the kind of fan who takes ESPN's word for law, and is blind in his rating of players. Mauer is a talent, but he is not the greatest young talent in a generation, and he already has horrbile, debilitating injuries. We arent wishing him bad luck, we are just realistic when we say that at this point in his career, he isn't even in the top ten catchers in all of baseball. It seems like you are seeing things from the point of view normally expected out of fans of the team up north.
:dtroll:
You have only been here one day, and already you have 25 posts? Is this the third coming of Aidan/Jabroni? You are a whily one.

MRKARNO
03-08-2005, 11:03 PM
I guarantee a mid-900 OPS for Mauer in 2005, something that neither of the aformentioned 5 will likely do.

Sure he will. His OPS will be better than that of Miguel Cabrera, Miguel Tejada, Paul Konerko, Sean Casey, Hideki Matsui, Carlos Beltran and Mark Teixeira last year. He's that good right now.

:troll

doublem23
03-09-2005, 12:21 AM

I-Rod is I-Rod, but he is getting up there in years, doesn't throw as well as he used, is an indifferent game-caller, and with recent steroid allegations, I am not sure he will be better than Mauer in 2005.

Mauer's (much like Prior) enormous talent has very little to do with Peter Gammons. It's there and that's all there's to it.

Sorry to offend you, Joe Mauer. I would take you over any of the catchers listed if I was intent on building a team from the ground up for the long haul, but if I had to win and win in '05, there are a good 6-8 catchers better today.

Maybe you should try and heal your knee instead of trolling a Sox site. Aren't there any Twins boards on the 'net? :rolleyes:

Palehose13
03-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey...Mauer has great potential, but he hasn't even seen a full year in the majors. If he can stay injury free, I believe that he can be an all-star...eventually. Right now? No. Heck, Kerry Wood had great potential and he can't even win 15 games. Let's wait to see how the youngster performs at the major league level before we say he is an allstar, ok SweetHereafter?

RedPinStripes
03-09-2005, 12:47 AM

You are one sick puppy!

FightingBillini
03-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Sorry to offend you, Joe Mauer. I would take you over any of the catchers listed if I was intent on building a team from the ground up for the long haul, but if I had to win and win in '05, there are a good 6-8 catchers better today.
I wouldnt even pick Mauer to build a team around. If I was picking a young guy, I would take Victor Martinez, because he has already shown he is a major league catcher. Mauer has shown nothing except he has lots of potential and he has a horrible knee injury that will likely plague him his entire career. Martinez is a stud. Mauer has lots of talent, but I hardly consider 107 career at bats to make one a proven player.

Hey...Mauer has great potential, but he hasn't even seen a full year in the majors. If he can stay injury free, I believe that he can be an all-star...eventually. Right now? No. Heck, Kerry Wood had great potential and he can't even win 15 games. Let's wait to see how the youngster performs at the major league level before we say he is an allstar, ok SweetHereafter?

You hit the nail on the head. Talent doesnt always pan out in the majors. Mauer must prove himself by playing more than 35 games. Saying he is an allstar right now is ludicrous. Also, its a HUGE "if" whether or not Mauer can stay healthy. Chronic knee problems are always horrible news, especially with catchers. Catcher is obviously grueling on the knees. Very few catchers have extremely long and productive careers playing every day. Pudge was an exception. Ivan Rodriguez is still playing at an extremely high level. Other than that, I cant think of another catcher that played a really long time and put up big numbers late into his career. For exhibit A, look at Mike Piazza deteriorating in New York the past 3 years. Under normal circumstances, catchers dont last that long. I just dont see Mauer being anything other than a career DH at age 25.

Stroker Ace
03-09-2005, 02:27 AM
Mauer= Best young player who has had multiple knee surgeries. Can you say bust?:D:

Flight #24
03-09-2005, 12:25 PM
A bit of elaboration from our good friend Phil Rogers. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2007927

Some scary things in here: he heard "clicking in his knee" in october? He's having soreness after catching 7 innings over a couple of days? Doesn't sound like a guy who's even guaranteed to get through ST as the primary catcher.:o:

Too bad for Joe, I don't wish him ill, but I can't help but grin at the problems this would cause for the Twinks.:smile:

BlackAndWhite
03-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Funny article (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/11085043.htmhttp://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/11085043.htm) about The Knee.

Palehose13
03-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Funny article (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/11085043.htmhttp://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/11085043.htm) about The Knee.

Good article. I feel bad for the guy, but I ownder how the Twins now feel about trading AJ?

BlackAndWhite
03-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Good article. I feel bad for the guy, but I ownder how the Twins now feel about trading AJ?

They probably feel like they can afford to keep their bullpen intact because of it.:redneck

Palehose13
03-09-2005, 01:26 PM
They probably feel like they can afford to keep their bullpen intact because of it.:redneck

How much is Mauer making and would AJ have made that much that they would have broken up their 'pen?

s.dedalus
03-09-2005, 01:31 PM
How much is Mauer making and would AJ have made that much that they would have broken up their 'pen?

He makes 400,000 like the other Twins still in serfdom.

SOXintheBURGH
03-09-2005, 01:34 PM

Yeah, and theres probably some catcher playing high A ball right now thats going to be the next Pudge Fisk in about 3 years. :angry:

Palehose13
03-09-2005, 01:35 PM

LOL. serfdom. I like it. :smile:

Flight #24
03-09-2005, 01:42 PM

If I understood PH13's question correctly.....

AJ made $3.5mil last year, or $2.9mil more than Mauer. Eyeballing '04 salaires, that's close to what the entire Twins pen made, so assuming they had a hard "cap" on payroll, they had to choose between keeping AJ or not throwing each of their starters an average of 291 2/3 IP.:cool:

maurice
03-09-2005, 10:02 PM
A bit of elaboration from our good friend Phil Rogers.

Wow. It sounds like Mauer's condition is even worse than I thought.

How did such a young player get stuck with Dan Hampton's knees?

Hangar18
03-10-2005, 10:13 AM
According to THIS (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-twinsmauerreportskne&prov=fanball&type=lgns) article.

Unsure if it will be a continuing problem for the young backstop......

The Fact that hes a CATCHER, and already has a knee injury means
his career is in jeopardy. Hello DH. Baseball Karma is a funny funny thing.
He only got a ton of hype because the Twins had Pie on their faces
over the whole Mark Prior thing ......... glad to see theyre getting burned good.

Fredsox
03-10-2005, 11:47 AM
The local paper says he's DH-ing today and maybe catching Saturday.
http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5283742.html

"Mauer concurred that his left knee feels better after experiencing mild swelling and mild soreness Sunday. He did say there's still a little bit of soreness that needs to be worked out."

I gotta think this guy is only catching 75 games this year, if that.

Flight #24
03-10-2005, 12:04 PM
The local paper says he's DH-ing today and maybe catching Saturday.
http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5283742.html

"Mauer concurred that his left knee feels better after experiencing mild swelling and mild soreness Sunday. He did say there's still a little bit of soreness that needs to be worked out."

I gotta think this guy is only catching 75 games this year, if that.

Well good news from a fantasy perspective is that being a part-time C or changing positions could keep him on the field more, help him maintain his production, but he'd still qualify at C!

Nellie_Fox
03-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Baseball Karma is a funny funny thing.
He only got a ton of hype because the Twins had Pie on their faces
over the whole Mark Prior thing ......... glad to see theyre getting burned good.Not really. He's getting a ton of hype because he's a local kid with a lot of talent, and the Mauer family is and has been huge in Twin Cities sports for some time. I had one of Joe's first cousins in my classes, and he was on the university hockey team.