PDA

View Full Version : Watch for the Utility Infield Spot

PAPChiSox729
03-07-2005, 08:12 PM
I just thought it would be a good idea to have a thread that would keep a watch on the candidates for the utility infield spot throughout ST. Our candidates are as follows: Wilson Valdez, Pedro Lopez, Pablo Ozuna, and maybe even Willie Harris.

mealfred13
03-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Well Valdez looked really good out there today. He was flashing some leather at third on a few plays and he had 2 nice slapper hits up the middle and the right side, with an RBI IIRC.

Willie looked really good over at second as well. I don't recall Willie getting any hits though.

Frater Perdurabo
03-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Should this thread be re-labeled "Utility Watch," in honor of the Cubune's 2004 "Prior Watch?" :redneck

NonetheLoaiza
03-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Ozuna, Willie, and Valdez have all been pretty impressive in the early goings, IMO. Willie to maybe a lesser extent, but I like the way that both Valdez and Ozuna are swinging the bat, moving people over, etc. I haven't been able to accurately gauge each of their defense yet, but from what I have heard and read, it hasn't been too bad at all. Hopefully, with the games being on tv now, we can get a good look at all the candidates. Again, IMO, it looks like we have a good crop of utility infielders to choose from here.

maurice
03-08-2005, 03:30 PM
For what it's worth, Ozuna is batting .417 for the spring and looked great on D in the game he started, despite very little help from his teammates. One of Iguchi's three terrible defensive plays that day involved a ridiculous attempt at turning a double play. Ozuna made a fantastic turn with the runner in his face and was able to save the out at first. On another play, Ozuna drifted back nicely on a popup and would have made the play easily, except that Podsednik came flying in at the last second, yelling "I got it! I got it! I got it!" Ozuna did the right thing and immediately bailed on the play, but Pod was lying. He didn't get it.