He just got on. Im listening and will post a recap

Palehose13
03-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Recap?

Please!

and WOW also.

jabrch
03-07-2005, 01:30 PM
"You think I am on steroids? Have you ever seen my sisters or my mother? I got two sisters that weigh over 300lbs and a big mother too. I don't need Steroids to have size."

"I've lost 15-20 lbs after being on crutches for 7 months."

"I'm at 268 now"

"I am not sure if I'll be ready on Opening Day, but I will be ready early."

Boers "What's left for you in terms of goals?"
Frank "Win a championship, and get back to being an elite hitter."

"I gotta leave the Pizza alone"

Bernstein "You could be a complete phoney and say things to the media - but then you'd be in Baltimore right now."

spawn
03-07-2005, 01:33 PM
"You think I am on steroids? Have you ever seen my sisters or my mother? I got two sisters that weigh over 300lbs and a big mother too. I don't need Steroids to have size."

Nice!:D:

Jjav829
03-07-2005, 01:33 PM
I missed the first part of it, but here's a brief recap of what I caught.

B&B asked if it's nice to not be the story in ST this year.

Frank says it's nice and he is just happy to be back walking again.

Talked about the surgery and the severity of it. He's happy to continue his career.

He says that last year he started to have fun again and hated leaving the field. Played 20 games with a bad ankle. Ozzie made the game fun again. He says he and Ozzie have always had an understanding and Ozzie knows what buttons to push with him.

Talked about his swing mechanics. Says he's been pitched more inside last few years and that is why he has become a pull hitter. Last year they started to throw back outside more.

Frank joked about his sisters and mother being big. He's in a great mood.

It's not up to him to point finger on steroid users, but he's glad guys are being tested now.

He's in the shape of his life. Has lost 15-20 pounds. He went up to 290 when he was on crutches. Now he is around 268-270.

They joked around about his knuckleball. Worked with it in college. Says he would pitch in a blowout game and throw the knuckleball.

His remaining goals are a championship and to get back to being the player he was. Says he can be a superstar again if healthy.

Losing weight is now a lifestyle for him, not a diet. Says he'll leave the pizza alone.

He says no turmoil this season. He's always been a shy guy and that has turned people off because he doesn't have much to say, even though people think he does.

Says he's been misunderstood. The negative press started after Albert Belle got here since Belle wouldn't talk to the media.

jabrch
03-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Break out your wide angle lense for the family pictures - hell - you may need your panoramic camera for this crew! I didn't know Frank's sisters and mother were that large.

Jjav829
Just some overall impressions. Maybe it's just because he was on with Boers and Bernstein and it's their style to have fun with interviews, but Frank sounds like he is in a great mood. He joked/laughed throughout half the interview. Good stuff. I wish I would have known sooner so I didn't miss the beginning. I don't know how much I missed, so hopefully someone can fill in anything I didn't hear.

CHISOXFAN13
Frank is an extremely likable guy. This interview certainly enhanced that image.

He started the interview by saying he'd love to go to DC to testify, but with the rehab and injury, it isn't good for him to fly.

Played 20 games with broken ankle last year.

The funniest part of the interview was when he talked about his family tree and his 300-pound sisters.

Bernsy asked him about his knuckleball, which I guess he worked on with Mark Salas in BP sessions. Pretty funny

Negative press started when Albert came here. Frank got frustrated with media asking him to talk for Albert.

Ozzie knows what makes Frank tick and he made the game fun again.

Wants to return to superstar status and help the Sox win a championship.

Awesome...just awesome!

:bandance: :bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Did you hear the last comment by Bernstein?

Frank said he was always a bit shy with the media but he was always just being himself. So Bernsie says, "Well you could could have been a complete phoney and now you would be in Baltimore."

:roflmao:

Randar68
03-07-2005, 01:38 PM
They joked around about his knuckleball. Worked with it in college. Says he would pitch in a blowout game and throw the knuckleball.

I thought that was just his normal throwing motion!

ba-dum, ching!

spawn
03-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Just some overall impressions. Maybe it's just because he was on with Boers and Bernstein and it's their style to have fun with interviews, but Frank sounds like he is in a great mood. He joked/laughed throughout half the interview. Good stuff. I wish I would have known sooner so I didn't miss the beginning. I don't know how much I missed, so hopefully someone can fill in anything I didn't hear.
Man, that's good to hear. I got pissed off listening to the MJ&H show a couple of weeks ago. They had Bruce Levine on, and Jurko was making an issue of Frank not being in Arizona with his teammates at least lifting weights. Cubbie Bruce Levine sorta agreed with him. Never mind the fact that he was told to stay away until healthy. This is great news.

Palehose13
Did you hear the last comment by Bernstein?

Frank said he was always a bit shy with the media but he was always just being himself. So Bernsie says, "Well you could could have been a complete phoney and now you would be in Baltimore."

:roflmao:

:D: Classic. Did Frank respond at all?

Hokiesox
Great stuff.

I hope KW is working on that contract extension RIGHT NOW!

Flight #24
03-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Outstanding stuff, thanks for the recaps.

Form the recaps/comments, it sounds like he actually had fun with it, and even had a bit of (dare-I-say-it) rapport with interviewers. Maybe the local media's going to start treating Frank like a local star rather than baiting him and that combined with his non-steroid usage will finally get him the local status he's always deserved.....

BRDSR
03-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Frank is an extremely likable guy. This interview certainly enhanced that image.

He started the interview by saying he'd love to go to DC to testify, but with the rehab and injury, it isn't good for him to fly.

Two things: 1)Was this all he said about being invited to a Congressional hearing? Did B&B ask anything about possibly being subpoenaed(sp?)?

2)How long has it been since Frank has done an interview? Or even been quoted by the media? A long time, hasn't it?

mikehuff
03-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Frank was pretty friendly with Sosa from what I remember. I don't think he would be out there bashing him or anything.

mdep524
03-07-2005, 01:46 PM
What a great interview! Man, it is really, really great to hear Frank's voice again. There are a lot of reasons for enthusiasm and optimism for this coming season, but just listening to Frank laugh and vow to put up "superstar numbers" when healthy is so exciting to me!! Can't wait to see him on the field again! :bandance: :bandance:

NSSoxFan
03-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Frank was pretty friendly with Sosa from what I remember.

Yea, without question it was genuine.

haganaga
03-07-2005, 01:49 PM
The way I see it, they SHOULD exercise his option for next year if he can get healthy. If I recall, the Sox can either pick up his $10MM option or buy him out for $3.5MM. Either way, they're out at least $3.5 no matter what so that means it really would only cost them $6.5MM to keep him for another year.

As I said above, that's IF he can get healthy.

mikehuff
03-07-2005, 01:52 PM
The way I see it, they SHOULD exercise his option for next year if he can get healthy. If I recall, the Sox can either pick up his $10MM option or buy him out for $3.5MM. Either way, they're out at least $3.5 no matter what so that means it really would only cost them $6.5MM to keep him for another year.

Yeah man that's a hell of a decision. If this team makes some noise this year it's possible, but if they fail again, he's gone.
I would love to see the Sox and Frank have a great year. If he's gone, then there's more of a chance KW will keep trying to shove Joe "the untouchable" Borchard down our throats.

cheeses_h_rice
03-07-2005, 01:54 PM
During the crosstalk with Telander/Hood/Buffone, J. Hood pointed out that that was Frank's first time on the Score in 9 years.

Amazing.

I think that bodes well for Frank this year. Good to hear.

cheeses_h_rice
03-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Now Boers is saying how Frank has to feel that "this town has worshipped a false idol" the past many years.

BOO-YEAH!

:nandrolone:

My ears are burning!

California Sox
03-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Great to hear that Frank is happy. I think the Sox should do everything reasonable to ensure that Frank finishes his career in the uniform. He's the best player in Sox history, whoever is in second isn't even close.

Jjav829
03-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Frank is going to be in the booth with Hawk and DJ during the 2nd inning. Who is this guy and what did he do with Frank Thomas? :o:

Brian26
03-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Nice recap. Sounds awesome!

As Frank goes, so do the Sox! A happy Frank = 2005 Championship.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Frank is going to be in the booth with Hawk and DJ during the 2nd inning. Who is this guy and what did he do with Frank Thomas?

What you're hearing now is the REAL Frank Thomas. The grumpy (and low production) Frank Thomas can be traced to 1998 and the arrival of a certain dope who thought giving playing time to marginally talented benchwarmers was more important than putting his best team on the field.

The man behaved like harrassing Frank Thomas was part of his job description.
:kukoo:

:jerry
"Did you hear the latest? Reinsdorf called me out last week, too!"

Baby Fisk
03-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Bernstein "You could be a complete phoney and say things to the media - but then you'd be in Baltimore right now."
Heyyo! :cool:
Oh man, welcome back Big Frank. :bandance:

NonetheLoaiza
03-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Good to hear from Frank...Glad he sounds like hes enjoying himself...

harwar
03-07-2005, 02:16 PM
This is actually the first time all spring that i've felt optimistic about things.I just have a bad feeling about the starters.
But if Big Frank is back and healthy and with a great attitude then thats all i ask because i'd go to the park just to see this guy hit.
I my opinion Frank Thomas is the best offensive player in recent memory.

jabrch
03-07-2005, 02:34 PM

If he performs like FRANK, it will be excercised. If he is hurt or can't play, then they have a decision to make. But they don't have to decide on this one until after the season fortunately.

SpammySosa
03-07-2005, 04:58 PM
They are getting ready to replay the interview in a few minutes.

DaleJRFan
03-07-2005, 05:08 PM

Beautiful.

LongLiveFisk
03-07-2005, 05:32 PM

Frank didn't say anything, he just laughed at that last comment. I'm sure he knew exactly who Boers was referring to! :D:

petekat
03-07-2005, 06:34 PM
the straw that stirs the drink. Anything remotely close to 2000 + a healthy Carl.... and it's Magglio who?

What a great interview! Man, it is really, really great to hear Frank's voice again. There are a lot of reasons for enthusiasm and optimism for this coming season, but just listening to Frank laugh and vow to put up "superstar numbers" when healthy is so exciting to me!! Can't wait to see him on the field again! :bandance: :bandance:

bartmanisgod
03-07-2005, 07:02 PM
I think Frank saw an opening with the media's frenzy on steroids to get back in the public eye. An interview on The Score, an inning of commentary in the booth and a new article and interview with him posted on whitesox.com

linky:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050307&content_id=959782&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Frank has been crapped on his entire career by the media... I think he deserves all the extra attention in the world. Let the Frank Thomas Chicago media bandwagon roll throughout Frank's entire career!on for the rest of his career

Here's hoping I get to see Frank retire in Black and White pinstripes :gulp:

PAPChiSox729
03-07-2005, 07:04 PM

A #6 starter is a nice luxury to have. Now our rotation is really stacked!
:redneck

robiwho
03-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Drat! I was at a conference today and didn't get to hear the interview. I hate when work gets in the way of baseball!

A funny story I might not share anywhere else -- tonight my son (who is 6) and I were talking about who the presidents are on the various coins. He went through Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, and then informed me that the president on the dime is Frank Thomas! LOL! Have I raised this kid right or what? :cool:

It's GREAT to have Frank back.

Lip Man 1
03-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Ken Rosenthal of The Sporting News radio network told me tonight that he was actually at Frank's press conference. He's in Arizona now checking the teams for the magazine and his first stop was Tuscon.

He said Frank appears to be in very good spirits and that the Sox organization is very confident for the upcoming season. Ken told me he's still not sure about the team but feels it is going to be an interesting year on the South Side.

Lip

Frankfan4life
03-07-2005, 10:36 PM
I caught part of the replayed interview with Frank Thomas and I thought I was in hog heaven. I'm so glad Frank is talking to the media again. It was so good to hear him speak positively about the White Sox. If Frank doesn't retire with the Sox, the fans should send JR a strong message.

spongyfungy
03-07-2005, 11:08 PM
What is up with this Frank media blitz? It truly is a pleasant and welcome surprise. The Score, ESPN 1000, in the booth, and that mini-press conference. wow.

"He'd love to retire as a White Sox" :D:

JKryl
03-07-2005, 11:14 PM
He says no turmoil this season. He's always been a shy guy and that has turned people off because he doesn't have much to say, even though people think he does.

Says he's been misunderstood. The negative press started after Albert Belle got here since Belle wouldn't talk to the media.

You know, I have never been a real big Big Frank rooter, because of what comes over the press as his attitude problem, but I can completely understand this. Also from the sound of the interview, he comes over as quite a guy. I still think he needs to play the field more, but I think after this, I may be a little more forgiving.

JKryl
03-07-2005, 11:15 PM
I caught part of the replayed interview with Frank Thomas and I thought I was in hog heaven. I'm so glad Frank is talking to the media again. It was so good to hear him speak positively about the White Sox. If Frank doesn't retire with the Sox, the fans should send JR a strong message.

I only hope he keeps it up for another 8 months. When he goes quiet and pouting, he only hurts himself.

FarWestChicago
03-07-2005, 11:58 PM
You know, I have never been a real big Big Frank rooter, because of what comes over the press as his attitude problem, but I can completely understand this.What on Earth would possess you to place any value on what a Sham-ME worshipping media says about Big Frank? :?:

SpammySosa
03-08-2005, 02:05 AM
I only hope he keeps it up for another 8 months. When he goes quiet and pouting, he only hurts himself.

I think being "stuck on the northside" is clouding your judgement. :dtroll:

Cubbiesuck13
03-08-2005, 03:05 AM
What is up with this Frank media blitz? It truly is a pleasant and welcome surprise. The Score, ESPN 1000, in the booth, and that mini-press conference. wow.

"He'd love to retire as a White Sox" :D:

He knows that retiring is around the corner and the DH is uncommon ground when it comes to getting in the HOF. I have no problem with Frank finally getting some media love and if he has to go out of his way to show that he doesn't sulk or pout like Jkryl put it then by all means, Frank make up for lost time and be media savy. It's so refreshing to hear about a true slugger in Chicago. Now all we need is for ShaME to loose his cool with the media a few more times and have that un-relenting east coast media rip him on it spoiling his shot at the HOF. This ain't the Cubune reporters everyday ShaME.

gosox41
03-08-2005, 09:03 AM

Played 20 games with broken ankle last year.

The funniest part of the interview was when he talked about his family tree and his 300-pound sisters.

Bernsy asked him about his knuckleball, which I guess he worked on with Mark Salas in BP sessions. Pretty funny

Negative press started when Albert came here. Frank got frustrated with media asking him to talk for Albert.

Ozzie knows what makes Frank tick and he made the game fun again.

Wants to return to superstar status and help the Sox win a championship.

Awesome...just awesome!

:bandance: :bandance:

:KW
I hope you enjoy it while it lasts. Because if it were up to me and my giant ego (which it sometimes is) Frank won't be here next year. I'll show him.

Bob

Deadguy
03-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Like I mentioned during the off-season, I was worried that Frank would show up to camp weighing 300+ lbs, since he could not do any cardiovascular excercises. This meant that he would have to cut down on his caloric intake in order to drop the weight. I didn't know if he could or would do it, but am pleasantly surprised that he has. Plus, with the insight that his mother and sisters are all over 300 lbs, he may be genetically inclined to be obese anyway. Looks like Thomas received some great advice, and is motivated to keep playing baseball.

Hopefully, he can keep this diet, add in cardiovascular work outs to help drop the calories, and get down below 260. That is the only way he can play for 4 or 5 more years, like he is saying he wants to do.

I also liked the fact that he is open to testifying before congress. He won't be a part of any Jay Leno monologues for staying clean, but it will help him to become a somewhat revered figure around baseball, and somewhat in the mainstream. With a questionable off season ahead, he needs to market himself in a favorable light.

As far as talking to the media, I hope this does not become a regular occurrence. Talking to guys like Merkin, Hawk and DJ, etc., isn't a bad thing, since they aren't going to trap him in a corner, and try to draw some controversy out of him. There are those who are going to pick and prod, and eventually get what they want, which is controversy. Thomas is a good guy, but even as a slobbering fan boy, I know it is not a question of if he will stick his foot in his mouth, but just when. Talking to the media has hurt his image more than just about any player in baseball, throughout his career (Bonds doesn't count, since he buried himself with steroid use).

daveeym
03-08-2005, 09:39 AM
I still think he needs to play the field more, but I think after this, I may be a little more forgiving. Oh man Frank plays the field plenty just head down to rush and division and you'll see.

koch44
03-09-2005, 02:26 PM
If anyone wants to listen to it they have it on the website.

http://670thescore.com/audibles/

mikehuff
03-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Great post. Thanks a lot for this.

Frank's all over the place all of a sudden. Why doesn't he take a train or drive a car or something to Washington? I think I saw him pulling into a gas station in Downers Grove about a year ago. Did he already sell his house by then, maybe that wasn't him.

- just listened and both parts are cut off at the end. Great job Score!