PDA

View Full Version : Big Frank back by Opening Day?

jake27
03-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Via Score update: frank said he would possibly be ready by opening day when he arrived at camp today. if this happens it would be a huge help:bandance:

DannyCaterFan
03-07-2005, 11:35 AM
I would be more than happy if we can get Frank back by May 1st! Let's not rush him, but if he can be ready sooner, let's play him.

jabrch
03-07-2005, 12:02 PM
I'd rather see them use caution. If he is ready by opening day, great. If not, there is absolutely no reason to rush him. Fortunately the options are Frank or Carl (who seems healthy and in great shape), not Frank or LTP/Gload. (I like Gload, just not every day.)

When Frank is ready to play, he will be a welcome return to the club.

Ol' No. 2
03-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I'd rather see them use caution. If he is ready by opening day, great. If not, there is absolutely no reason to rush him. Fortunately the options are Frank or Carl (who seems healthy and in great shape), not Frank or LTP/Gload. (I like Gload, just not every day.)

When Frank is ready to play, he will be a welcome return to the club.As much as I'd like to see FT back, I agree that it's better to go slow. We've gotten pretty spoiled with Frank Thomas, but Carl Everett would probably rank as one of the top DH in the league.

SoxWillWin
03-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I agree he shouldn't be rushed. But if He says he's ready when the time comes I'll be ready to cheer on one of the purest hitters in the game. I just wonder what the Frank haters think about it.

MRKARNO
03-07-2005, 12:12 PM
If he only had to miss 3 weeks and could return and be at full strength, I'd be ecstatic. 5-5.5 months of what Thomas was doing last year is the difference between a team that might barely finish over .500 to a team that will have an excellent shot of making the playoffs.

Brian26
03-07-2005, 12:36 PM
For what it's worth, Crazy Carl was being interviewed on Comcast yesterday and said he doesn't care where they play him...he's willing to give it a shot, even at catcher or shortstop :D:

MeanFish
03-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Basically, for Frank to get significant PT early in the season I would think that either Carl or one of our outfielders would have to play themself out of the starting job. I mean, if by some semi-realistic miracle Everett, Dye, Rowand and Podsednik are ALL hitting the ball well do we play Frank in April or even May?

Flight #24
03-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Basically, for Frank to get significant PT early in the season I would think that either Carl or one of our outfielders would have to play themself out of the starting job. I mean, if by some semi-realistic miracle Everett, Dye, Rowand and Podsednik are ALL hitting the ball well do we play Frank in April or even May?

Frank at 80% >>>> Any of the guys you listed at 100%. If he's fully healthy and in no danger of reinjury, he'll be in the lineup and the other guys will be juggling there ABs. Book it.

Now of course, it's most likely that they won't be sure about reinjury, so they'll take it slowly with him. but his PT depends purely on himself, and not at all on the other guys and how well they do.

Randar68
03-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Frank at 80% >>>> Any of the guys you listed at 100%. If he's fully healthy and in no danger of reinjury, he'll be in the lineup and the other guys will be juggling there ABs. Book it.

Now of course, it's most likely that they won't be sure about reinjury, so they'll take it slowly with him. but his PT depends purely on himself, and not at all on the other guys and how well they do.

With 3 OF'ers and Frank as part of the rotation, I'm gueesing Carl plays significant innings in 4 or 5 games a week anyway.

Switch-hitting with all those 4 being RH'd is a big advantage. Carl will play left or right and with both Pods and Rowand being able to play CF, Dye gets 1 rest a week, Pods/Rowand based on matchup perhaps, and Frank needing occassional rest, there will be a lot of innings available for Carl even after Frank returns, IMO.