PDA

View Full Version : No doubt in my mind...

WinningUgly!
10-29-2001, 03:55 PM
...that the friggin' Yankees will come back & win the series. The D-Backs did what they had to do in AZ, winning both games, but I just don't see them finishing off the Yanks unless they can take game 3 from the Rocket. I can't believe Anderson is gonna out duel Clemmens, so figure the series at 2-1 D-Backs. From there NY will win 3 more games before AZ will win 2. It sucks, but I'm probably right!

Dadawg_77
10-29-2001, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
...that the friggin' Yankees will come back & win the series. The D-Backs did what they had to do in AZ, winning both games, but I just don't see them finishing off the Yanks unless they can take game 3 from the Rocket. I can't believe Anderson is gonna out duel Clemmens, so figure the series at 2-1 D-Backs. From there NY will win 3 more games before AZ will win 2. It sucks, but I'm probably right!
My predection at the start of the WS, was Schilling would be the MVP with 3-0 record, and .50 ERA for the Series. Zona in 7

WinningUgly!
10-29-2001, 04:02 PM
When Schilling pitches on 3 days rest, he's not going to be as effective. The D-Backs bullpen gets more involved, & that's only good news for the Yankees.

cheeses_h_rice
10-29-2001, 04:02 PM
I think the D-backs surprised the Yanks by taking 2 in AZ. I'm going with the D-backs in 6.

KempersRS
10-29-2001, 04:12 PM

Not gonna happen this year. All the D-Backs need is one game in New York and they have it locked, and they will get it. The D-Backs in 5.

Nellie_Fox
10-29-2001, 04:47 PM
Did anyone familiar enough with Cubs past players go over the D-backs roster to see if there is anyone besides Grace and Gonzalez? Remember, the ex-Cub factor says any team with three or more ex-Cubs is so infected with Cubness that they are doomed in post-season play. I looked at their roster, but I'm not familiar enough with former flubbies to tell.

Jerry_Manuel
10-29-2001, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Did anyone familiar enough with Cubs past players go over the D-backs roster to see if there is anyone besides Grace and Gonzalez? Remember, the ex-Cub factor says any team with three or more ex-Cubs is so infected with Cubness that they are doomed in post-season play. I looked at their roster, but I'm not familiar enough with former flubbies to tell.

The have three ex-cubs. The two you mentioned and Mike Morgan, but he has been on almost every team in the majors.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2001, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

The have three ex-cubs. The two you mentioned and Mike Morgan, but he has been on almost every team in the majors. I was thinking about Morgan. How could he not have been a Flub at one time or another.

Nellie_Fox
10-29-2001, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

The have three ex-cubs. The two you mentioned and Mike Morgan, but he has been on almost every team in the majors.

This is not good. The ex-Cub factor is very powerful. Then don't forget the Balboni factor that was posted here a few days ago. No team since Balboni's Royals in '85 has won a World Series with a player who hit more than 36 homers in the regular season. Oh, man, I'm getting a headache.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2001, 05:17 PM

This is not good. The ex-Cub factor is very powerful. Yes, it is. Yankmees in 6?

KempersRS
10-29-2001, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Yes, it is. Yankmees in 6?

Nah, the Yanks will lose. They may win game 3 with Rocket going, but El Duque will be on the mound for game 4, the D-Backs will have their way with him. Then you have a 3-1 lead with Schilling and Johnson going back to back. Thats why I say D-Backs in 5 or maybe 6.

doublem23
10-29-2001, 07:34 PM
DIAMONDBACKS EX-CUB #4 is this clown...

http://diamondbacks.mlb.com/ari/photo/ph_play_mugshot_110683.jpg
Hi! My name is Miguel Batista! Wow! They fly players in jets for every team except the Cubs!

Miguel Batista's career stats (if anyone cares. I sure as hell don't) (http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/batismi01.shtml)

Spiff
10-29-2001, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
DIAMONDBACKS EX-CUB #4 is this clown...

http://diamondbacks.mlb.com/ari/photo/ph_play_mugshot_110683.jpg
Hi! My name is Miguel Batista! Wow! They fly players in jets for every team except the Cubs!

Miguel Batista's career stats (if anyone cares. I sure as hell don't) (http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/batismi01.shtml)

Miguel Batista is not a clown he has actually been pretty solid this year for the D-Backs this year after they converted him into a starter.

Game 3 against St. Louis: 6 IP 3H 2 ER
Game 2 against Atlanta: 7 IP 2H 3ER

doublem23
10-29-2001, 08:19 PM
Oh, I just call all ex-Cubs (sans a SELECT few) a clown.

Such as Jon Garland, for example. And Lou Brock.

GASHWOUND
10-29-2001, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Yes, it is. Yankmees in 6?

You're saying that the Spanks will win 4 in a row? Nah, I almost certain that the D-Backs will win the series.
But who knows?
With my recent conversation with the Baseball gods they gave me good authority that the Spankees reign will be over. But you know how those baseball gods are. Their so unpredictable. :)

Iwritecode
10-30-2001, 10:37 AM

I may be mistaken but I thought that BOTH the Yankmees and the Mets had at least 3 ex-Cubs last year during the WS. If that's true, the curse was broken.

Iwritecode
10-30-2001, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I may be mistaken but I thought that BOTH the Yankmees and the Mets had at least 3 ex-Cubs last year during the WS. If that's true, the curse was broken.

Dammit, nevermind. The Mets were the only team with 3.

Yankees (2)
Glenallen Hill didn't just make an impact on the American League pitchers since his July trade to the Yankees, he's left bruises. In 40 games, Hill hit 16 home runs and earned Player of the Month honors for August. Jose Vizcaino, also acquired midseason by the Yankees, has spent time at second base, filling in for Chuck Knoblauch as his throwing problems increased.
Bonus points: Don Zimmer, Cubs manager from 1988-91, coach from 1984-86 and infielder from 1960-61, is Joe Torre's right-hand man on the Yankees' bench. Plus, team VP and director of player personel Billy Connors, who's filling in for Mel Stottlemyre while he's going under cancer treatments, worked as pitching coach for the Cubs between 1982-86 and 1991-93.

Mets (3)
The Mets are the 2000 season's big winners or losers in the ex-Cub factor race. Rubber-armed Turk Wendell has been invaluable for the Mets out of the bullpen since coming over in 1997. Todd Zeile, who spent 1995 on the North Side, adjusted well to first base this season on his continuing career journey from team to team. A .133 hitter for the Cubs in 25 games in 1995, Todd Pratt is the ideal backstop backup to Mike Piazza, proving to be potent in the clutch during the season and postseason.

Bonus points: Matt Franco, left off the Mets' postseason roster this season after spending three years as the team's top pinch hitter, climbed the Cubs' organizational ladder and made two separate trips to the Cubs in 1995 before his trade to New York.

Moses_Scurry
10-30-2001, 01:38 PM
Is there a site where you can look up the individual stats of years past so that I can verify this "Steve Balboni Curse"? It's not that I doubt you guys, but I have a really hard time believing that neither one of the Bash Brothers hit more than 36 dingers the year that Oakland swept the Giants. What year did Canseco found the 40/40 club?

cheeses_h_rice
10-30-2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
Is there a site where you can look up the individual stats of years past so that I can verify this "Steve Balboni Curse"? It's not that I doubt you guys, but I have a really hard time believing that neither one of the Bash Brothers hit more than 36 dingers the year that Oakland swept the Giants. What year did Canseco found the 40/40 club?

Try http://www.baseball-reference.com/

The A's won the WS in '89; McGwire hit 33 that year, and Canseco only had 17. Canseco made 40/40 in 1988.

It's a stupid curse, but it is accurate, nonetheless.

Moses_Scurry
10-30-2001, 01:53 PM
I shall never doubt you again.

WinningUgly!
11-01-2001, 02:36 PM

Why did I post this? I knew when I did it, it would jinx the D-Backs. I suck, blame me......

czalgosz
11-01-2001, 03:36 PM
Tonight is the key night - if the D-Backs can light up Mussina the way they did in game 1, they'll win (no way the Yankees beat BOTH Johnson and Schilling). If the Yankees win, it'll be another squeaker, and they'll win the series. The Diamondbacks should have won last night - they refused to take advantage of Hernandez' early wildness and actually take some pitches, instead bunting or popping up after swinging wildly at obvious balls. That's Brenly's fault - after El Duque walked two in a row, he should have not allowed anyone to swing until they had two strikes. Make El Duque pitch out of his own jams rather than bail him out.