PDA

View Full Version : B-Mac - Anyone Else Like This Kid?

fquaye149
03-07-2005, 01:55 AM
Just when I thought he was too good to be true - he is.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050306soxbits,1,4199211.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Thomas can expect a warm greeting from 21-year-old pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who admired the Sox's slugger during his childhood.

"I'm going to try to stay professional," McCarthy said. "At some point, I'll introduce myself and tell him I've been a big fan of his. But I'm not going to jump up and down.

I knew he was a Sox fan growing up...but wow! I'm glad to see he's with our organization. Knock on wood, but it seems like he's one of the fans who'd be posting on this board. Who wouldn't want to see Hangar or PHG pitching for the sox if they had the chops (No offense :) )

Cubbiesuck13
03-07-2005, 02:44 AM
Well I'm pissed. I always wanted to play with The Oz and B-Mac and I are the same age. I played ball in high school but he just got a lucky break.

For all you teal police officers out there...

:Elwood -"Is there a problem officer"
:teal police - "you ran that red light back there"
:Elwood - "The light was yellow, sir. And Green font = envy."

MUsoxfan
03-07-2005, 02:48 AM
I KNEW Kelly green meant something:cool:

SSN721
03-07-2005, 05:44 AM
ALways nice to hear about players in the organization who love being in the organization as much of any of us would.

Randar68
03-07-2005, 10:00 AM
I knew he was a Sox fan growing up...but wow! I'm glad to see he's with our organization. Knock on wood, but it seems like he's one of the fans who'd be posting on this board.

BMac and a few other guys actually do post on another message board. Class guys and always friendly and receptive to the fans.

santo=dorf
03-07-2005, 10:14 AM
BMac and a few other guys actually do post on another message board. Class guys and always friendly and receptive to the fans.

BMAC posted here last Spring Training talking about the camp and steroids.

SpammySosa
03-07-2005, 04:50 PM
It was amusing when Hawk told Frank about B-Mac's admiration of him growing up and Frank said it made him feel old.:D:

PAPChiSox729
03-07-2005, 07:16 PM
McCarthy seems like a pretty good guy. Good thing is, he isn't too bad of a pitcher either...

MRKARNO
03-07-2005, 08:19 PM
BMAC posted here last Spring Training talking about the camp and steroids.

I can verify that.

santo=dorf
03-07-2005, 08:30 PM
I can verify that.

I can too. He uses the same SN at Soxtalk.

gobears1987
03-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I bet some Sox players have to post here.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Yes, I've loved everything I've read about him recently. He's been pretty good in camp so far. I even devoted my signature to him! :o:

santo=dorf
03-07-2005, 10:31 PM
LOL!

I found a thread where jabrch called BMAC "Cubbieboy."

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

fquaye149
03-08-2005, 07:12 AM
LOL!

I found a thread where jabrch called BMAC "Cubbieboy."

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

what's his "SN"?

Hangar18
03-08-2005, 10:12 AM
I knew he was a Sox fan growing up...but wow! I'm glad to see he's with our organization. Knock on wood, but it seems like he's one of the fans who'd be posting on this board.

Who wouldn't want to see Hangar or PHG pitching for the sox if they had the chops ........

If I was a SOX player, after growing up loving the team, I think Id be
giving 140%, just because I was wearing the uniform. Id be one of the biggest ambassadors to the team, think ARowand X 1000.
Also, I would fire the team up and we would never ever lose to the cubs
again .......Id probably have 4 shutouts in my career, and all 4 of them
would be against the Cubs. Id Plunk .......HARD, the first cub batter
I ever faced ....... :smile:

santo=dorf
03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
what's his "SN"?

BMAC3520 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=2637)

Roof Shot
03-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Just curious, anyone know what kind of stuff this kid throws?

maurice
03-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Just curious, anyone know what kind of stuff this kid throws?

You'll find tons of info if you search through the "Minor Observations" forum.

gobears1987
03-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Do you guys think he'll come back and post here again?

Cubbiesuck13
03-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Do you guys think he'll come back and post here again? I imagine he is pretty busy right about now. I hope he comes back though, it is interesting to get a player's opinion about things...

DaleJRFan
03-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Anyone else notice the MLB.com homepage???

White Sox pitching hope aces Texas test
Brandon McCarthy, a 6-foot-7 White Sox prospect who pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings last week against Arizona, impressed again with four innings of one-hit ball against Texas, one of the AL's deepest line-ups.

And right next to it is the story about Kerry Wood leaving a game with shoulder stiffness... will miss his next start...

Not that I cheer for player injuries, but ya gotta love it!

:bandance:

Banix12
03-10-2005, 04:15 PM
After watching him throw today against the Texas starters, I am impressed. He spots the fastball well, his curve looked dynamite even in the Arizona air and I was very impressed with the way he changes speeds. I swear i saw him change up from a 87 mph fastball to a 62 mph changeup, deadly.

A little more time at AA probably wouldn't hurt him, though he may not need it, but if one of our five starters goes down, i want to see him up here before I see anybody else from the minors.

Randar68
03-10-2005, 04:34 PM
After watching him throw today against the Texas starters, I am impressed. He spots the fastball well, his curve looked dynamite even in the Arizona air and I was very impressed with the way he changes speeds. I swear i saw him change up from a 87 mph fastball to a 62 mph changeup, deadly.

A little more time at AA probably wouldn't hurt him, though he may not need it, but if one of our five starters goes down, i want to see him up here before I see anybody else from the minors.

He adds and subtracts from his fastball very well. I don't know that those gun readings were right if that's what he topped out at, unless he's still working on building the arm strength...

When I have seen him, he throws from about 88 (with good movement) up to about 93/94 (have heard some say he's touched 95 on occassion). Sitting right behind home plate, I saw these same readings on multiple scout guns in addition to the stadium gun, so it wasn't a single juiced gun.

Ol' No. 2
03-10-2005, 04:40 PM
He adds and subtracts from his fastball very well. I don't know that those gun readings were right if that's what he topped out at, unless he's still working on building the arm strength...

When I have seen him, he throws from about 88 (with good movement) up to about 93/94 (have heard some say he's touched 95 on occassion). Sitting right behind home plate, I saw these same readings on multiple scout guns in addition to the stadium gun, so it wasn't a single juiced gun.Do you think there's a realistic chance he could be major-league ready later this season if one of the starters goes down? He hasn't had that much time in the minors, and I'd prefer to let him have another whole year to mature if possible.

NonetheLoaiza
03-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Boy, what an outing today. Very impressive.

Randar68
03-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Do you think there's a realistic chance he could be major-league ready later this season if one of the starters goes down? He hasn't had that much time in the minors, and I'd prefer to let him have another whole year to mature if possible.

How much time did Buehrle have? BMac's numbers are more impressive, IMO. Lead all of minor league baseball in K's and yet hardly walked anyone.

You don't want to rush kids who are fragile, still very-much learning the game, or have a lot of mechanical work to do. BMac "KNOWS" how to pitch, how to play the game, how to attack hitters, he's mature, confident, and despite the fact that people haven't fallen in love with his stuff, he has a VERY good curve considering his ability to locate it reliably and his change-up has the chance to be an above average 3rd pitch to go with fastball he adds and subtracts on and can throw through a tin can...

If this were last year's rotation heading in to the opener, I think he's the 4th or 5th starter on this team without blinking. The only thing he needs, IMO, is experience and to continue to put some meat on those skinny bones... He's quick to adjust/learn...

That said, if someone is just going to miss a start here or there, I think they move Hermanson/Cotts/Adkins, whoever into that role. If someone is going to miss any significant time, I think they'll bring him up without flinching. I don't think they want to bring him up without the expectation of him staying in the rotation permanently.

DiGiSyKo
03-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Boy, what an outing today. Very impressive.

Heck yes! 4 scoreless innings... 1 hit. :gulp:

DaleJRFan
03-10-2005, 04:52 PM

...and NO walks.

Hangar18
03-10-2005, 05:04 PM

How many Strikeouts did Bmac have?

OEO Magglio
03-10-2005, 05:07 PM
2. 0 walks.

DiGiSyKo
03-10-2005, 05:07 PM

I was in and out of the room when watching so I couldn't tell you... saw a lot of pop outs though.

DaleJRFan
03-10-2005, 05:09 PM

4, I think.. but I am looking to confirm

EDIT: all the box scores I have found thus far do not have player stats. I'm fairly certain it was 4 though.

DiGiSyKo
03-10-2005, 05:38 PM
2. 0 walks.

I believe OEO is right on... 2 SO.

the game day thread had his stats...
4 IP, 1H, 2K, 0BB

maurice
03-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Aside from his unbelievable control and underrated "stuff," BMac changes speeds like a wily veteran. You don't see too many hard-hit balls, because it's really hard to time his pitches. His ability and maturity definitely exceed his age and experience.

I'd prefer that they bring him along slowly. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if he pitches successfully for the Sox this season.

California Sox
03-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Bmac reminds me of a very tall Zack Greinke. And like Greinke, he's going to come fast. Buerhle spent, I believe, half a season in A ball, then 3/4 of a season at AA and was in the major league bullpen by August of 2000. McCarthy is like Buerhle in that he throws the ball where he wants it. I'm not sure Bmac needs much more than two months in AA or AAA and he'll be ready. I sincerely believe the spot he'll take is Contreras'. Contreras has a great arm but very little command. He might fit better in the bullpen. Just a hunch.

Milkman43
03-10-2005, 07:57 PM
He sure looked good today. Reminds me of Black Jack.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Brandon McCarthy (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7484/) allowed just one hit in four innings with two strikeouts against Texas, which started its regular lineup except for the designated hitter.

``It was actually a lot harder than it looked,'' McCarthy said. ``Mechanically, I didn't feel solid.''

McCarthy was 17-6 with a 3.14 ERA and a minor league-leading 202 strikeouts in the White Sox organization last season. He retired all four Arizona batters he faced in his only other spring appearance.

But McCarthy has never pitched above Double-A, and he knows the White Sox rotation is pretty set -- for now. ``You have to realize you have to be patient,'' McCarthy said. ``Those guys have paid their dues in front of me. ... It is kind of selfish of me to think I can go there right now.''
__________________________________________________ ________________

With a good couple of months, he will replace one of KW's Cubans in the rotation - either an injured Hernandez or an ineffective Contreras.

He is by far the best hope for a great minor league callup in 2005. If not needed until September, without regression he will definately by in the rotation by 2006. Can't wait to see him play for the White Sox - in games that count towards the championship.

PAPChiSox729
03-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Brandon McCarthy (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7484/) allowed just one hit in four innings with two strikeouts against Texas, which started its regular lineup except for the designated hitter.

``It was actually a lot harder than it looked,'' McCarthy said. ``Mechanically, I didn't feel solid.''

McCarthy was 17-6 with a 3.14 ERA and a minor league-leading 202 strikeouts in the White Sox organization last season. He retired all four Arizona batters he faced in his only other spring appearance.

But McCarthy has never pitched above Double-A, and he knows the White Sox rotation is pretty set -- for now. ``You have to realize you have to be patient,'' McCarthy said. ``Those guys have paid their dues in front of me. ... It is kind of selfish of me to think I can go there right now.''
__________________________________________________ ________________

With a good couple of months, he will replace one of KW's Cubans in the rotation - either an injured Hernandez or an ineffective Contreras.

He is by far the best hope for a great minor league callup in 2005. If not needed until September, without regression he will definately by in the rotation by 2006. Can't wait to see him play for the White Sox - in games that count towards the championship.

The more I hear about McCarthy, the more impressed I am. This guy has great command and will develop into a very,very good pitcher. On the flip side, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. I hope Bradon is up here first chance he gets.

zach074
03-10-2005, 09:23 PM
If any pitcher stumbles out of the gates this year its nice to know we have him to back them up.

gobears1987
03-10-2005, 09:55 PM
If any pitcher stumbles out of the gates this year its nice to know we have him to back them up.
It's much better than having Diaz or Munoz.

wdelaney72
03-10-2005, 10:36 PM
I hope he gets another full season in the minor leagues, but man, he is looking impressive.

I think before it's all said and done, he'll wind up with one major league start this year.

MRKARNO
03-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Apparently MLB.com "Like[s] This Kid" too as they had him on the first slide of the mainpage earlier today and right now have him on the second slide of the mainpage slideshow.

SoxSpeed22
03-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Now there is an excellent article about McCarthy on MLB.com
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050310&content_id=963968&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
They mention the recap as well as his stuff and stats

HebrewHammer
03-10-2005, 10:59 PM
He looked strong today. I just caught the replay on CSN, he wasn't afraid to challenge the Rangers regulars and the more I saw him throw the more I like him.

I wouldn't be nearly as concerned seeing him come up for a month or two to fill in as I would with Munoz, Diaz, Adkins or whoever we have stashed down there.

santo=dorf
03-11-2005, 01:55 AM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/AZOW101031017_lower.jpg

YO BMAC!!! XYZ!!! :tongue:
Check out the title at mlb.com

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/BMACstuff.bmp

Stroker Ace
03-11-2005, 02:23 AM
B-Mac= my new favorite prospect

fquaye149
03-11-2005, 05:01 AM
YO BMAC!!! XYZ!!! :tongue:
Check out the title at mlb.com

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/BMACstuff.bmp

L...

O...

L...

Bucky F. Dent
03-11-2005, 07:01 AM
He looks like the real deal.....and he's only got two and a half pitches right now.

Lets just hope the coaches are sensible with his arm.

Tekijawa
03-11-2005, 08:50 AM
I just got to see the highlights of him last night because the wife wanted to record Survivor but he looks sharp... I'm glad he's an old school Whitesox fan too!

In those few highlights that I saw I was trying to figure out who his delivery looks like? I'm thinking of Black Jack and for some reason Roy Oswalt pops into my mind too!

gosox41
03-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Do you think there's a realistic chance he could be major-league ready later this season if one of the starters goes down? He hasn't had that much time in the minors, and I'd prefer to let him have another whole year to mature if possible.

I agree no sense rushing the kid. Buerhle may have needed a short stint in the minors, but for every Buehrle there are 5 Garland's (or worse)..guys who put up great minor league numbers and don't live up to the hype.

It'd be nice if the SOx and KW actually produced a good starting pitcher for once.

Bob

Tekijawa
03-11-2005, 08:58 AM
I agree no sense rushing the kid. Buerhle may have needed a short stint in the minors, but for every Buehrle there are 5 Garland's (or worse)..guys who put up great minor league numbers and don't live up to the hype.

Rauch
Wright
Grilli
Munoz
Diaz

We're due!

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 09:14 AM
How much time did Buehrle have? BMac's numbers are more impressive, IMO. Lead all of minor league baseball in K's and yet hardly walked anyone.

You don't want to rush kids who are fragile, still very-much learning the game, or have a lot of mechanical work to do. BMac "KNOWS" how to pitch, how to play the game, how to attack hitters, he's mature, confident, and despite the fact that people haven't fallen in love with his stuff, he has a VERY good curve considering his ability to locate it reliably and his change-up has the chance to be an above average 3rd pitch to go with fastball he adds and subtracts on and can throw through a tin can...

If this were last year's rotation heading in to the opener, I think he's the 4th or 5th starter on this team without blinking. The only thing he needs, IMO, is experience and to continue to put some meat on those skinny bones... He's quick to adjust/learn...

That said, if someone is just going to miss a start here or there, I think they move Hermanson/Cotts/Adkins, whoever into that role. If someone is going to miss any significant time, I think they'll bring him up without flinching. I don't think they want to bring him up without the expectation of him staying in the rotation permanently.I got a chance to watch him last night for the first time on the rebroadcast. He did seem a to be missing his spots a bit, and if he'd been pitching against more selective hitters, he might not have done so well. But he seemed to have a pretty good idea of what he was doing out there, far beyond what you normally see from someone with only 4 AA games under his belt. Any time you have a good curveball that you can throw for strikes, you're going to be effective. He's going to be fun to watch.

Randar68
03-11-2005, 09:57 AM
I got a chance to watch him last night for the first time on the rebroadcast. He did seem a to be missing his spots a bit, and if he'd been pitching against more selective hitters, he might not have done so well. But he seemed to have a pretty good idea of what he was doing out there, far beyond what you normally see from someone with only 4 AA games under his belt. Any time you have a good curveball that you can throw for strikes, you're going to be effective. He's going to be fun to watch.

The nice thing to watch was how he wasn't hesitant to waste a pitch when he was ahead. He can throw that curve for strikes, but he was fishing with those curves inside and away that were in the dirt. Nice to see. I barely saw him use the change. He's going to need that pitch eventually.

He looks even skinnier on TV than in person and that CF view makes it look like he's wearing clown shoes, LOL!

Nevertheless, hope we get at least one more televised start for him...

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 10:04 AM
The nice thing to watch was how he wasn't hesitant to waste a pitch when he was ahead. He can throw that curve for strikes, but he was fishing with those curves inside and away that were in the dirt. Nice to see. I barely saw him use the change. He's going to need that pitch eventually.I gather being able to waste a pitch wasn't always the case for him. He learns fast. That's good. Of course, wasting a pitch is a lot easier when you're pitching to guys like Soriano, who swing at anything in the air. I'm sure we'll see McCarthy pitch a few more games this spring. I'll be interested to see how he does against more selective hitters. Even though he wasn't using the changeup much, he did seem to be taking a bit off the fastball here and there, which can be just as effective at keeping hitters off balance.

HawkISox
03-11-2005, 10:22 AM
They seem ready to go with him. Nice insurance policy in case of injury or someone just falling down.

Epark84
03-11-2005, 10:54 AM
he looks great so far. But i agree not to rush him. The last few have been disasters. But chances are that not all the starters will stay healthy all year. All i can say is Mr. Garland or either of the cubans go down and they may not get their spot in the rotation back. But hopefully they all stay healthy and are productive

rdivaldi
03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
The nice thing to watch was how he wasn't hesitant to waste a pitch when he was ahead. He can throw that curve for strikes, but he was fishing with those curves inside and away that were in the dirt. Nice to see. I barely saw him use the change. He's going to need that pitch eventually.

After watching the game I can honestly say that was not even close to the best I've seen Brandon pitch. I was actually kind of disappointed in the way he threw after hearing all of the rave reviews. He fell behind in the count much more often that he usually does, and he really wasn't spotting his fastball as well as usual. He was changing speeds very well, and that is what kept the Ranger hitters off balance. IMO he won't be able to get away with that kind of performance in the regular season.

Rocklive99
03-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Was this the kid that hit Rowand a couple weeks ago?

tadscout
03-11-2005, 12:27 PM
They seem ready to go with him. Nice insurance policy in case of injury or someone just falling down.

sure is... and-

:welcome:

Stroker Ace
03-11-2005, 12:28 PM
There is an article about B-Mac up on MLB.com now.

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 12:30 PM

yea, nothing beats a 8m a year bullpen arm in the form of Jose Contreras.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-11-2005, 12:33 PM
All I gotta say is.... where was he last year when we NEEDED him? :(:

WhiteSoxFan84
03-11-2005, 12:34 PM

NOW that Loaiza/Contreras deal looks real bad. Dammit Kenny! Will you stop playing the role of sucker?!

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 12:39 PM
All I gotta say is.... where was he last year when we NEEDED him? :(:

Um, McCarthy? Last year he was a 20 year old kid with no professional experience throwing A-ball in Kannapolis. He would have had a 20 ERA if they brought him up. :)

fquaye149
03-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Um, McCarthy? Last year he was a 20 year old kid with no professional experience throwing A-ball in Kannapolis. He would have had a 20 ERA if they brought him up. :)

still would have been better than felix diaz....

jk...but barely jk

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 12:46 PM

jk...but barely jk

the scary thing is, you are probably right! Diaz did shut down the Cubs though :D:

na_na_na_na
03-11-2005, 12:52 PM

jk...but barely jk

Yeah but maybe he would have been shattered as thoroughly as diaz was ruining a great prospect.

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 01:06 PM
NOW that Loaiza/Contreras deal looks real bad. Dammit Kenny! Will you stop playing the role of sucker?!

As much as I like Shingo, if he can't get it done this season, Contreras would make a good closer with that 95mph heater and nasty splitter. Smoltz did it, why can't Contreras?

balke
03-11-2005, 01:13 PM
As much as I like Shingo, if he can't get it done this season, Contreras would make a good closer with that 95mph heater and nasty splitter. Smoltz did it, why can't Contreras?

Cause Contreras can't CONTROL HIS FASTBALL. This is the reason he can't start. For his starter role, he could use an off-speed pitch as well.

A closer needs to be able to have control on his fastball, or he's just a bust. I was talking about this yesterday before seeing this thread with my buddy, whether we could move Hernandez or Contreras to the pen. B-Mac needs some starts in the bigs before we get all crazy. I was drooling over some of his pitches in yesterdays game I'll admit.

maurice
03-11-2005, 01:17 PM

IIRC, the Sox are paying him only $6mm. The Yanks picked up the rest.

mikehuff
03-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Yeah but maybe he would have been shattered as thoroughly as diaz was ruining a great prospect.
Diaz looked like a sure thing before they brought him up. His numbers in the minors were awesome. I always pay attention to the strikeout to walk ratio and his were great.

Randar68
03-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Diaz looked like a sure thing before they brought him up. His numbers in the minors were awesome. I always pay attention to the strikeout to walk ratio and his were great.

Meanwhile... BMac's career K:BB ratio in the minors is something like 406:60

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Meanwhile... BMac's career K:BB ratio in the minors is something like 406:60I heard Hawk say that last night and I thought he had to have made a mistake, so I looked it up. That's unbelievable.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
03-11-2005, 02:07 PM
it's funny, it's been exactly one year since his last post.

jlh0023
03-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Who is this guy....is there any chance he makes the 25 man roster....he's lookin good out there, and i know its just spring training but it looks like hes got some good stuff

SpammySosa
03-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Who is this guy....is there any chance he makes the 25 man roster....he's lookin good out there, and i know its just spring training but it looks like hes got some good stuff

Here is a thread already talking about him.:D:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46303

Jerome
03-12-2005, 01:20 PM
I like his 202 Ks in the minors last year.

:smile:

ssidehitmen
03-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Too bad Buehrle can't take a page out of McCarthy's book... I'd hate to see us in a series against the cardinals

voodoochile
03-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Too bad Buehrle can't take a page out of McCarthy's book... I'd hate to see us in a series against the cardinals

Are you implying that Buehrle would in some way jeopradize his entire baseball future by tanking games to let the Cardinals win?

:whoflungpoo

Soxheads
03-14-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not gonna name names or anything but I haved talked with someone who knows Mark that says "he doesn't plan on leaving anytime soon" and that "he knows how much a lot of the fans like him".

balke
03-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Yeah, that was a really weird statement. What's our ace Buerhle supposed to be learning from our minor-league prospect? Mulder won't be tanking any games against us anytime soon, nor will Hairston Jr. I'm sure.

I love the way B-mac looks when I see him pitching. All signs point to great. I knew nothing about him til he got up there and pitched recently, I was very excited to see people making contact, and getting jammed, or driving the ball to the ground. I would love to see him if he can produce like he has in the minors.

Goose
03-15-2005, 08:50 PM
does anyone have any suggestions on where to go and read/see some more on this kid (outside of WSI, of course)? The chicago media runs 95% Wood/Prior soap opera reruns of last year and nothing of substance on something we can really get excited about (like B-Mac)...

P.S. Thanks to all here for their great insight! WSI is a gem!

Randar68
03-15-2005, 08:55 PM
does anyone have any suggestions on where to go and read/see some more on this kid (outside of WSI, of course)? The chicago media runs 95% Wood/Prior soap opera reruns of last year and nothing of substance on something we can really get excited about (like B-Mac)...

P.S. Thanks to all here for their great insight! WSI is a gem!

You mean like minor league games? He'll probably start off in AA Birmingham but could start or move quickly to Charlotte as well...

SoxFan76
03-15-2005, 09:01 PM
You mean like minor league games? He'll probably start off in AA Birmingham but could start or move quickly to Charlotte as well...

Now I thought that moving from AA to AAA wasn't really a "promotion". I always thought AAA was for guys who didn't quite make the big club or a place to recover from injuries, ex. Jose Valentin, Kelly Wunsch, or in the case of this year, Jon Adkins will start in AAA.

tstrike2000
03-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Wow, the reports I read on Foxsports.com and Peter Gammons are extremely positive on McCarthy. Both of them mention the good command of his fast ball, breaking ball, along with him working on a good chaneup. One scout said, "He's the best young pitcher I've seen this spring." That's very encouraging. I know he's still working in the minors, but this almost reminds me of Jason Bere coming up with the '93 Sox helping them win the division that year, Josh Beckett coming in and helping the Marlins in the World Series, and Bronson Arroyo of the Red Sox pitching some good ball in World Series last year. All three guys were very young and helped their team in crucial situations and at playoff time. Brandon McCarthy could very well be our version of those guys if this season plays out like we hope.

A. Cavatica
03-15-2005, 10:01 PM
...Bronson Arroyo of the Red Sox pitching some good ball in World Series last year. All three guys were very young and helped their team in crucial situations and at playoff time. Brandon McCarthy could very well be our version of those guys if this season plays out like we hope.

Um, Arroyo was 27 last year. McCarthy's upside is way, way higher than that.

tstrike2000
03-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Um, Arroyo was 27 last year. McCarthy's upside is way, way higher than that.

I never disputed McCarthy's upside is higher. I just mentioned those guys because they were not experienced starters at the major league level and they helped their teams with pitching depth and McCarthy could be that ace in the hole if we are in first down the stretch and into the playoffs.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-15-2005, 10:57 PM
The title of this thread should be changed to; "McCarthyism; Is Brandon Making You A Believer?"

hahaha!

:smile:

Cubbiesuck13
03-16-2005, 08:55 AM

Why wouldn't he start in AAA? I don't know how they make that decision but it seems that the better challange would be in AAA. I'm a little biased though, I really want to see him pitch against Norfolk.

wdelaney72
03-16-2005, 08:58 AM
The title of this thread should be changed to; "McCarthyism; Is Brandon Making You A Believer?":smile:

In a word... YES.

Ol' No. 2
03-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Why wouldn't he start in AAA? I don't know how they make that decision but it seems that the better challange would be in AAA. I'm a little biased though, I really want to see him pitch against Norfolk.He's just 21 (24 in Hawk years:?:) and with not that much experience. AAA is not necessarily more of a challenge, either. I, for one, doubt he ever gets to AAA. I think he'll pitch 10-12 games for Birmingham, then get called up.

Randar68
03-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Why wouldn't he start in AAA? I don't know how they make that decision but it seems that the better challange would be in AAA. I'm a little biased though, I really want to see him pitch against Norfolk.

He'd only had 4 starts in AA. I'm not concerned either way, as the Sox have often called kids up directly from AA. Barcelo and Buehrle down the stretch in the last playoff run for example. Given the amount of time Brandon is getting against everyday starters in the big leagues during this spring, I'm very encouraged that he is learning a bit of the difference.

The location on his fastball was a bit off again yesterday, but his change was working very well for him. It looked like he was making a concerted effort to use it a lot more than in his previous start.

NonetheLoaiza
03-16-2005, 11:48 AM
He's just 21 (24 in Hawk years:?:) and with not that much experience. AAA is not necessarily more of a challenge, either. I, for one, doubt he ever gets to AAA. I think he'll pitch 10-12 games for Birmingham, then get called up.

I think you might be right. Not to be pessimistic or say that the sky is falling, but it is definitely possible one of our starters could go down for a bit later in the season, and someone has to be called up to fill in. That being said, I would love to see him brought up like Buerhle was brought up, where he is in the bullpen for half a season getting acclimated to MLB hitters. After that, I hope he can work on a fourth pitch and become a solid starter...

Randar68
03-16-2005, 12:12 PM
I think you might be right. Not to be pessimistic or say that the sky is falling, but it is definitely possible one of our starters could go down for a bit later in the season, and someone has to be called up to fill in. That being said, I would love to see him brought up like Buerhle was brought up, where he is in the bullpen for half a season getting acclimated to MLB hitters. After that, I hope he can work on a fourth pitch and become a solid starter...

He won't need a 4th pitch if his change-up is as effective as I think it will be (sure looked it yesterday). The way he spots and changes speeds on his fastball also helps make a 4th pitch unnecessary (although he mentioned working on a 2-seamer the other day)

ssidehitmen
03-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Yeah, that was a really weird statement. What's our ace Buerhle supposed to be learning from our minor-league prospect? Mulder won't be tanking any games against us anytime soon, nor will Hairston Jr. I'm sure.

I love the way B-mac looks when I see him pitching. All signs point to great. I knew nothing about him til he got up there and pitched recently, I was very excited to see people making contact, and getting jammed, or driving the ball to the ground. I would love to see him if he can produce like he has in the minors.

I wasn't being serious, I don't think our ace would throw any games, but I was a little disappointed when he said he liked beating the cubs because it helps the cards. Doesn't he know how absolutely despicable that organization is?

ssidehitmen
03-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Doesn't he know how absolutely despicable that organization is?

and if it's not clear, i mean the cubs, not the cardinals