PDA

View Full Version : Na Na Song

Mingo
03-06-2005, 12:22 PM
As a Sox fan from a geographical distance all my life - I find I grew knowing the players and stats, but I'm way behind on Sox traditions. I guess I first noticed the Na Na song during the 1977 season - It sure sounds awesome when the whole stadium is singing it. I guess the singing of it is like when the old Celtics coach used to light his cigar - meaning the Sox were going to win and nothing could stop them.

Can someone give me the history of the Na Na song and when it is used?

BTW - I'm really excited about the quality of WSI and appreciate all the Sox news and debates. It's the kind of connection you couldn't have with you team from a distance without the internet.

HITMEN OF 77
03-06-2005, 12:43 PM
The Sox first started using it in 1977 I think. The song was a #1 hit for the New York based group Steam in 1969.

Whitesox029
03-06-2005, 12:54 PM
The Sox first started using it in 1977 I think. The song was a #1 hit for the New York based group Steam in 1969.
And I believe Steam was a one-hit wonder. I have the Billboard Top Rock and Roll Hits CD from 1969 and the original version is on it.

Lip Man 1
03-06-2005, 01:41 PM
The song was first played by Nancy Faust earlier in the 1977 season but didn't become a staple until July of that year.

As for the original song itself, 'Steam' was a group from Bridgeport, Connecticut. 'Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye,' was recorded by Gary Decarlo, Paul Leka and Dale Frasheur and released as by 'Steam.' After the song became a hit, Leka assembled an actual group called 'Steam.' Bill Steer (vocals), Jay Babins and Tom Zuke (guitars), Hank Schorz (keyboards), Mike Daniels (bass) and Ray Corries (drums.)

The song itself made its debut on Billboard's Top 100 chart on October 18, 1969 staying on it for 16 weeks and rising to #1 for two weeks starting the week of December 6th.

An original 45 (Fontana 1667) is worth seven dollars as of 1996.

Lip

HITMEN OF 77
03-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Oddly enough, Steam was on Smash records a division of Mercury Records, which is based in none other than Chicago, Illinois.

TDog
03-06-2005, 02:39 PM
The song was first played by Nancy Faust earlier in the 1977 season but didn't become a staple until July of that year....

If you had gone out to the park in 1970, you would have heard Nancy Faust play it a few times. I did. Nancy had been playing it for years before it caught on the way it did in 1977.

Medford Bobby
03-06-2005, 02:49 PM
:D: Funny thing is Steam was a studio group that had a few songs recorded, and decided to release a certain single that they thought would be a hit...and to make sure that DJ's played the "A" plugged hit side, they recorded a song that was put together quickly with different cord changes and riffs...a song basically made up to be unplayable on the air.......:whiner: that's why there's no formula to creating a number one hit!!

I have been working here at the Mount Vernon High school and this was tournament week at the gym. Just before the end of some games the winning team's side of fans starting singing NANA Song just as the last few seconds of the game ends......right away I think back to that glorious summer of '77 when the South Side Hitman were alive and well....and who else in that gym would have known that....Now it's now part of every game played ANYWHERE!!:bandance:

NonetheLoaiza
03-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Gives me goosebumps whenever I hear it in a big game....I love it

Fenway
03-06-2005, 03:23 PM
I can remember the first time I heard it at a sporting event.

April 26,1970, a Sunday afternoon NHL playoff game on CBS.The Boston Bruins beat Chicago 5-4 to sweep the semifinal series and almost guarentee the Bruins first Stanley Cup since 1941. With a minute to go in the game the gallery gods in the second balcony started singing it to the Hawks.

In 1978 I heard Comiskey explode in delight on Opening Day as Ron Bloomberg hit a HR in the bottom of the 9th that the White Sox went on to win. That blown save loomed large 161 games later.

Sox-on-TV44
03-06-2005, 03:41 PM
I never get tired of hearing the "Na,Na" song.I think Harry Caray did a version of "Na,Na,Hey,Hey,Goodbye" in 1978.Of course there's was studio singers singing the courus and Harry shouting "Holy Cow!!!!"

Fenway
03-06-2005, 03:44 PM
I never get tired of hearing the "Na,Na" song.I think Harry Caray did a version of "Na,Na,Hey,Hey,Goodbye" in 1978.Of course there's was studio singers singing the courus and Harry shouting "Holy Cow!!!!"

you mean this?

Na Na Hey Hey, Good Bye! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com//NaNaHeyHeyHARRYCARAY.rm) with Sox announcer Harry Caray (1977)

Sox-on-TV44
03-06-2005, 03:45 PM
you mean this?

Na Na Hey Hey, Good Bye! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com//NaNaHeyHeyHARRYCARAY.rm) with Sox announcer Harry Caray (1977)
Yep,that's the one.Not a bad version when you think about it at the time.

Mingo
03-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Is it a tradition only to break out the Na Na song when the game is well in hand, or already won? Or, does that even matter?

The Racehorse
03-06-2005, 05:44 PM
you mean this?

Hey, thanks fenway! For a Red Socker, your alright. :cool:

:)

Palehose13
03-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Is it a tradition only to break out the Na Na song when the game is well in hand, or already won? Or, does that even matter?

From what I was told, the song became popular when Nancy played it in June 1977 when a group in the bleachers substituted "Na Na Na Na" for the team the Sox were playing: "Cal- i -forn- ia, hey, hey, hey, goodbye..." The next series happened to be against Minnesota, so "Minn-e-sot-a" was substituted for the previous California. The next home series was against Seattle and it didn't quite fit, so the Comiskey park faithful went with the "Na na na na".

The song is always played when the White Sox hit a homerun and when the opposing team changes pitchers in mid-inning. I have even heard an interview or two where opposing pitchers stated that they hated being taken out at Comiskey because of the song the fans would sing. :smile:

Unfortunately, I don't think the fans sing it as much anymore (and I think Nancy is turned down, so it is hard to hear her) and it is one tradition that I would love to see back in full force.

Ol' No. 2
03-06-2005, 09:46 PM
From what I was told, the song became popular when Nancy played it in June 1977 when a group in the bleachers substituted "Na Na Na Na" for the team the Sox were playing: "Cal- i -forn- ia, hey, hey, hey, goodbye..." The next series happened to be against Minnesota, so "Minn-e-sot-a" was substituted for the previous California. The next home series was against Seattle and it didn't quite fit, so the Comiskey park faithful went with the "Na na na na".

The song is always played when the White Sox hit a homerun and when the opposing team changes pitchers in mid-inning. I have even heard an interview or two where opposing pitchers stated that they hated being taken out at Comiskey because of the song the fans would sing. :smile:

Unfortunately, I don't think the fans sing it as much anymore (and I think Nancy is turned down, so it is hard to hear her) and it is one tradition that I would love to see back in full force.Opposing players from the late 70's HATED that song. It was quite controversial in its day for "taunting" the opposing team when a pitcher was removed.

Nancy still plays it and where I sit people still sing it when an opposing pitcher is removed, though not with the same vigor as it used to be sung only a few years ago. I always do my best to keep the tradition alive.:smile:

Palehose13
03-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Opposing players from the late 70's HATED that song. It was quite controversial in its day for "taunting" the opposing team when a pitcher was removed.

Nancy still plays it and where I sit people still sing it when an opposing pitcher is removed, though not with the same vigor as it used to be sung only a few years ago. I always do my best to keep the tradition alive.:smile:

Me too, but it just never seems as long as it was 15-20 years ago...heck, even 10 years ago. It just seems to me that these wonderfuol traditions that Sox fans have are fading away, and that is a sad thing. :(:

Ol' No. 2
03-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Me too, but it just never seems as long as it was 15-20 years ago...heck, even 10 years ago. It just seems to me that these wonderfuol traditions that Sox fans have are fading away, and that is a sad thing. :(:Even in 2000 people used to sing it with a lot more vigor. I think if the Sox have a successful season and go to the playoffs, that might get people jacked up a bit more.

mike squires
03-06-2005, 10:36 PM
When they go and change pitchers I always stand up and tell everyone around me, "lets Go, get up and lets sing it!!!" I remember game one of the playoffs in 2000 everyone sang it LOUD and it sounded so sweet. Noone sings it during after a home run anymore.:whiner: I miss around Sue after a pitching change oo AND the Alabama song during late inning rallies...

Mingo
03-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Many thanks to everyone for the response. I love the song and I hope it becomes very big again with the fans. I think I heard here that Nancy's skills will be played up again this season - let's hope so.

DannyCaterFan
03-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Palehose 13 had it pretty much correct. I was one of those faithful fans during July and August of 1977 that always sat in the old left field grandstand. What was great about that summer of course, was that the Sox had emerged from the bottom of the standings and were competing with Kansas City and Minnesota for first place. That was the year of Richie Zisk, Oscar gamble, Eric Soderholm, and the rest of the "South Side Hitmen".
Comiskey was jumping and the fans were packing the park as Minnesota, and KC came to town. The Sox were winning and during those series, the fans in the left field stands started singing..."Na Na hey Hey...Minnesota Goodbye, and then later, the same for Kansas City. Nancy Faust picked up on it and played along. After that week, it just sort of morphed into what it is today.." Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye". Soon the entire stadium was caught up in it.
I also remember in 1978, Nancy tried to get the fans to sing along with her constant playing of "We Will, We Will, Rock You"! The fans wanted to stay with Na Na hey Hey instead

WhteSox725
03-07-2005, 01:51 PM
I miss around Sue after a pitching change

I miss that as well. I was disappointed the last couple games I went to the Sox were winning and when they took the opposing pitcher out she didn't play that. Heck a few times they didn't even play anything just in stadium commercials. It sucks.

tebman
03-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Palehose 13 had it pretty much correct. I was one of those faithful fans during July and August of 1977 that always sat in the old left field grandstand. What was great about that summer of course, was that the Sox had emerged from the bottom of the standings and were competing with Kansas City and Minnesota for first place. That was the year of Richie Zisk, Oscar gamble, Eric Soderholm, and the rest of the "South Side Hitmen".
Comiskey was jumping and the fans were packing the park as Minnesota, and KC came to town. The Sox were winning and during those series, the fans in the left field stands started singing..."Na Na hey Hey...Minnesota Goodbye, and then later, the same for Kansas City. Nancy Faust picked up on it and played along. After that week, it just sort of morphed into what it is today.." Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye". Soon the entire stadium was caught up in it.
I also remember in 1978, Nancy tried to get the fans to sing along with her constant playing of "We Will, We Will, Rock You"! The fans wanted to stay with Na Na hey Hey instead

DCF, if you were one of the "Sox Supporters" in the leftfield seats that year, you were really part of lightning in a bottle. Man, oh man, what a great year that was. It was a one long party (in the best sense of the word) all summer.

I read a long-ago interview with Nancy Faust in which she said that "Kiss Him Goodbye" was a song she used sometimes when an opposing pitcher was taken out of a game. She's a human jukebox, with a song appropriate for every situation. During that magical '77 season, the excitement level was such that the song took on a life of its own because the Sox chased so many opposing pitchers from the game. It just organically became an anthem for the White Sox during that season, spontaneously adopted by the ballpark crowd.

A great time to be alive. :cheers: :yup:

Palehose13
03-07-2005, 02:40 PM

Sweet! Since I was only 2 1/2 that summer, I was only reporting the story my dad told me. Nice to know that the old man isn't always full of hot air. :wink:

Dan H
03-07-2005, 06:53 PM
NaPalehose 13 had it pretty much correct. I was one of those faithful fans during July and August of 1977 that always sat in the old left field grandstand. What was great about that summer of course, was that the Sox had emerged from the bottom of the standings and were competing with Kansas City and Minnesota for first place. That was the year of Richie Zisk, Oscar gamble, Eric Soderholm, and the rest of the "South Side Hitmen".

I am writing a book on the '77 Sox, and just interviewed Nancy Faust. If you would like share any '77 whether about the song or the season, you can contact me at wallynn@aol.com. Everybody else is welcome as well.

HITMEN OF 77
03-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Na

I am writing a book on the '77 Sox, and just interviewed Nancy Faust. If you would like share any '77 whether about the song or the season, you can contact me at wallynn@aol.com. Everybody else is welcome as well.

As with your other books Dan, I look forward to reading this one very much.

BlackSox
03-08-2005, 01:05 PM
It just never seems as long as it was 15-20 years ago...heck, even 10 years ago. It just seems to me that these wonderfuol traditions that Sox fans have are fading away, and that is a sad thing. :(:

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that Nancy used to do a longer intro before people started singing.... it really built up the momentum, and when it came time to sing the line, you couldn't help but scream it out.

These days, she does a quick one-bar intro and then switches to the melody part.

Palehose13
03-08-2005, 01:08 PM
I might be wrong, but it seems to me that Nancy used to do a longer intro before people started singing.... it really built up the momentum, and when it came time to sing the line, you couldn't help but scream it out.

These days, she does a quick one-bar intro and then switches to the melody part.

No, I think you are right. Now that you mentioned it, it seems that I have always been jumping in late. I always thought it was because she was much softer (which could also be a contributing factor). This could be the reason why it seems to be fading cause people don't have enough "notice" to jump in.

BainesHOF
03-08-2005, 01:13 PM
it is one tradition that I would love to see back in full force.

I agree...except that it needs to be played only when we're winning or staging a comeback. Too many times in recent years Nancy has played it when we're losing when the score is like 7-2 or 9-4. Then it sounds silly.

Fenway
03-13-2005, 03:44 PM
In my puttering around the net looking for something else I found these links which might bring back happy memories for you ChiSox fans

http://www.chicago-baseball-photos.com/galleryF/faust72soxpark.mp3

http://www.chicago-baseball-photos.com/galleryF/1973%20Take%20Me%20Out%20to%20the%20Ballgame%20Nan cy%20Faust.mp3

pretty nice site overall
http://www.chicago-baseball-photos.com/

TDog
03-13-2005, 06:37 PM
...Nancy still plays it and where I sit people still sing it when an opposing pitcher is removed, though not with the same vigor as it used to be sung only a few years ago. I always do my best to keep the tradition alive.:smile:

I haven't been out to the park since 2003, but I remember fans "taunting" extended to a an opposing pitcher who was pulled after successfully retiring the one hitter he was brought in to face.

Frankfan4life
03-13-2005, 11:50 PM
I think it would be cool to play Na Na Na during the 7th inning stretch instead of Take Me Out to the Ball Game. It would be a nice rallying cry and a pick-me-up. After all, the cubs have pretty much usurped our 7th inning stretch tradition, so we should start one of our own.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-14-2005, 11:38 PM
I think it would be cool to play Na Na Na during the 7th inning stretch instead of Take Me Out to the Ball Game. It would be a nice rallying cry and a pick-me-up. After all, the cubs have pretty much usurped our 7th inning stretch tradition, so we should start one of our own.

Singing that during the stretch while losing 8-1 seems way wrong. I wish Nancy would play it longer. It seemed like the chorus's lasted forever, for the entire commercial break back in '77. Was that the case or is my memory exaggerating things?

Frankfan4life
03-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Singing that during the stretch while losing 8-1 seems way wrong. I wish Nancy would play it longer. It seemed like the chorus's lasted forever, for the entire commercial break back in '77. Was that the case or is my memory exaggerating things?I still don't see the problem with it. I said it could be like a rallying cry or a pick-me-up. The song as played by Steam does get you up and moving. Anyway, singing Take Me Out to The Ball Game is not exactly going to get you seven runs either.