PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Magazines

Brian26
03-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Anyone pick up any of the newstand magazines before the season? I've been getting the Sporting News Yearbook every year since the 1990. This year I picked up the Street and Smith's yearbook too (I liked their feature on uniforms through the years).

The magazines can sometimes be slightly dated since they need to be printed before all of the offseason moves can be completed (although the Sporting News has both the AJ and Iguchi moves updated).

Street and Smith has a nice focus on the minor leagues and prospects in each organization. Sporting News has a better analysis of the major league rosters.

pasquasroachclip
03-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I've gotten the Street & Smith's yearbook every year since 1983. I think while the presentation (pictures, graphics) have gotten much better, the quality of writing is worse. For example, in the KC preview, they referred to Aaron Guiel as "young" and that Eli Marrero will start in LF as Guiel "gains experience". When was this written in, 1998?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Buying one of these magazines used to be an annual rite of spring for me. I would keep checking the newsstands until late-January when the very first editions would come out. These were poorly written and printed on low-grade newsprint. I wouldn't buy one, but I would linger for 20 minutes or so to see what they were saying about the Sox.

By March 1 the really good editions would be out, like Streets & Smith, Sporting News, and Athlon. Then I would figure out which one I liked best and make my purchase. I used to thumb through it all-month long, often with the NCAA basketball tournament playing in the background.

Today it's not the same. Most of the magazines are devoted to fantasy baseball and nearly all the rest are devoted to sports card collecting. It's been several years since I picked one up.

santo=dorf
03-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Today it's not the same. Most of the magazines are devoted to fantasy baseball and the rest are devoted to sports card collecting. It's been several years since I picked one up.

That's what I was going to say. Does anyone have any idea when SI's preview comes out? :?:

HebrewHammer
03-06-2005, 02:09 PM
I used to buy these, but this year I looked at the cover price on most preseason baseball mags and they were all $7, I don't remember them ever costing that much. I'll stick with espn and rotoworld.com, thank you.

PAPChiSox729
03-06-2005, 03:25 PM
I annually get the Sporting News Baseball Preview.

Brian26
03-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Most of the magazines are devoted to fantasy baseball and nearly all the rest are devoted to sports card collecting. It's been several years since I picked one up.

This is partially true. Sporting News and Street and Smith's still put out a "non-fantasy" magazine that is basically a yearbook/preview for all the teams. It's a nice reference tool to have if you're trying to find something quick and easy and aren't next to the computer.

My favorite baseball-magazine memory involves an old magazine called "GamePlan Baseball". This came out in the early to mid 80's. I wish I still had it, but I tossed it out many years ago. Anyway, in 1982, the Minnesota Twins were the absolute worst team in baseball. GamePlan had a lengthy feature in their '82 magazine talking about how the Twins would completely turn their franchise around and win the World Series 5 years later: In 1987. At the time, it seemed impossible. It was such a bold prediction. The Twins were just absolutely horrible at the time. Guys like Brunansky and Hrbek were just up from the minor leagues. I don't recall if the magazine was still even being published in '88 to take credit for such a great prediction coming through...but they deserved some sort of credit.

mike squires
03-07-2005, 11:09 PM
IT's been awhile for me as well. My last one ironically has Daryl Kyle on the front. When I was young I used to get who's who in baseball and a few others. These days I mostly stck to the ones I subcribe to...Mens Health, Mens fitness, Rolling Stone, Guitar World and ESPN. I still love baseball don't get me wrong and the Sox will always be my #1 love but music and keeping in shape are priority right now...at least reading about it anyway...