PDA

View Full Version : Rockin' Robin to do be the color man for a couple of games during ST

Cubbiesuck13
03-06-2005, 07:37 AM
I guess DJ is going to be unavailable for a game or two this spring so Ventura is doing the color commentary. Maybe this is the start of something beautiful.

Realist
03-06-2005, 09:05 AM
That's good news. Robin is personality plus. Do you happen to have a link or a source for this news?

[Edit: Here's (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050305&content_id=958102&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) the link to the source.]

mccombe_35
03-06-2005, 09:18 AM
That's good news. Robin is personality plus. Do you happen to have a link or a source for this news?

from chisox.com:

Moving behind the microphone: Darrin Jackson's prior commitments will prevent him from taking part in four of the television broadcasts on Comcast SportsNet during the station's 20-game spring schedule. So the White Sox have turned to Robin Ventura in a pinch-hitting role. Ventura will join Ken "Hawk" Harrelson in the booth for a game against Arizona on Mon., March 21.

Ventura, a two-time All-Star and six-time Gold Glove winner at third, retired after the 2004 season, his 16th in the Major Leagues. He played the first 10 seasons with the White Sox and was part of the 1993 American League West championship squad. Currently, Ventura resides in Santa Maria, Calif., and has spent a great deal of time coaching his daughters' youth basketball teams.
---
also - saw that Sosa got ejected for arguing a strike call yesterday! lol

zach074
03-06-2005, 09:35 AM
This is great I love Robin. When is Robin's statue going up?

Frankfan4life
03-06-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm lovin' it. I love the idea of embracing former Sox players. Finally, it seems like JR's getting it. Now, if JR does right by Frank, by keeping him in the organization, I going to be a happy camper. :bandance:

Brian26
03-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Wow, that's just awesome. I'll have to tape that game and watch it in the evening!

HITMEN OF 77
03-06-2005, 10:49 AM
What's the deal with DJ? First no Soxfest and now he's missing a few games in ST.

Whitesox029
03-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Nice to see where Robin's loyalty lies. I don't mind DJ but if Robin is just as good or better I'd prefer him.

SpammySosa
03-06-2005, 11:02 AM
What's the deal with DJ? First no Soxfest and now he's missing a few games in ST.

He missed SoxFest because him and his wife just had a baby according to Hawk. Since DJ is sometimes as interesting as a box of rocks,I welcome the opportunity to hear someone I anticipate will have a lot more personality.

Deadguy
03-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I wish this was a permanent move. Robin has a dry, self deprecating sense of humor that would work well playing off of Hawk. Not quite as well as Wimpy, but he'd be a definite upgrade over DJ. Not to mention the fact that Robin is a nice, decent guy, that this organization should embrace.

Jjav829
03-06-2005, 11:16 AM
This is going to be very interesting to listen to. I really like the idea of giving Robin a chance. Kudos to the Sox for the idea.

Your 2008 TV broadcast team...Dave Wills and Robin Ventura. :D:

Brian26
03-06-2005, 11:16 AM
I wish this was a permanent move. Robin has a dry, self deprecating sense of humor that would work well playing off of Hawk. Not quite as well as Wimpy, but he'd be a definite upgrade over DJ. Not to mention the fact that Robin is a nice, decent guy, that this organization should embrace.

Let's be fair to both DJ and Robin on this though. Robin, as far as I know, has never broadcasted a major league game. I'm sure it's not as easy as it appears, and as much as we love Robin, I'm sure there would be some bumps along the road if he were to become the permanent color guy. DJ's come a long way himself.

Unregistered
03-06-2005, 11:19 AM
DJ's come a long way himself. Meh, DJ bores me to tears.

Brian26
03-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Meh, DJ bores me to tears.

I'm not talking about if you like his personality. I'm just talking about working out the kinks of being able to do a broadcast: i.e. not stuttering, not talking over the pbp guy, being able to fill dead air, being able to actually call pbp if Hawk leaves to use the bathroom, trying to read copy and commercial spots between pitches. DJ was very rough around the edges if you recall hearing him at the beginning of the 2000 season.

Unregistered
03-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm not talking about if you like his personality. I'm just talking about working out the kinks of being able to do a broadcast: i.e. not stuttering, not talking over the pbp guy, being able to fill dead air, being able to actually call pbp if Hawk leaves to use the bathroom, trying to read copy and commercial spots between pitches. DJ was very rough around the edges if you recall hearing him at the beginning of the 2000 season. That's true, but liking the personality of your color guy should come into play at some point. The fact that DJ doesn't drool all over himself when Hawk leaves the booth is encouraging, but it doesn't hide the fact that he's b-o-r-i-n-g.

HITMEN OF 77
03-06-2005, 11:41 AM
He missed SoxFest because him and his wife just had a baby according to Hawk. Since DJ is sometimes as interesting as a box of rocks,I welcome the opportunity to hear someone I anticipate will have a lot more personality.

It will be interesting hearing Robin helping Hawk do a few games, but I personally love DJ. How can you not like it when he had Hawk talking about "Mothers Milk" during a game last year.

Frank the Tank
03-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Does anybody know when DJ's contract expires? Nice guy, but he has to go.

chisoxfan64
03-06-2005, 12:12 PM
When I can`t fall asleep i watch DJ and that puts me right out. I look forward to seeing Robin and hope it turns out good and becomes many more games.

Lip Man 1
03-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Bill Melton should be Hawk's color man.

Lip

chisox06
03-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Bill Melton should be Hawk's color man.

Lip

Now that would be cool :cool:. DJ has come a long way, and if he was teamed with someone other than Hawk he might be more of a fit, I just dont think those two work well together.

Deadguy
03-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Let's be fair to both DJ and Robin on this though. Robin, as far as I know, has never broadcasted a major league game. I'm sure it's not as easy as it appears, and as much as we love Robin, I'm sure there would be some bumps along the road if he were to become the permanent color guy. DJ's come a long way himself.

It doesn't take that long. I heard Kurt Kittner do some broadcasts for Illinois football this past fall, and he did fine.

I saw Al Leiter do some postseason broadcasts in 2003, and while he sounded nervous and disjointed at first, he eventually relaxed, and by the end of his run of broadcasts, he sounded like a seasoned veteran.

I haven't been impressed by DJ, ever, progress or not.

Medford Bobby
03-06-2005, 01:02 PM
:(: Makes me wonder what the criteria is when they look for tv colourmen.

I don't know if DJ was a fan friendly guy as a player...easy to chat with or shy and reserved. You take a guy like Robin who has an out going personality, it seems that's the person you should be looking for. Thats why Pacoriek was great...you got to have a larger than life Dizzy Dean type personality to be a perfect 2nd banana to compliment a broadcast team.....analyze as well as entertain:cool:

Sox-on-TV44
03-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Rockin' Robin!!!
If I was Darren Jackson,I'd start to worry about my TV job.But let's see if Ventura can work with the Hawk.That's a step in the right direction.

TheBull19
03-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Finally someone in the booth who Hawk may actually show some respect, that ought to be quite a change.

The Racehorse
03-06-2005, 05:11 PM
If the Sox are trying to get me all giddy by announcing that Robin will do some work in the booth with Hawk, it's working! :wired: :bandance: :cool:

SpammySosa
03-06-2005, 07:01 PM
When I can`t fall asleep i watch DJ and that puts me right out. I look forward to seeing Robin and hope it turns out good and becomes many more games.

DJ could be a GREAT color analyst........for golf......or bowling.:wink:

irish rover
03-06-2005, 07:40 PM
pretty telling how many of us, including me, want Robin even when we haven't heard him yet

paciorek1983
03-06-2005, 10:04 PM
I never thought the combo of Hawk and DJ has worked, and probably never will. But, I can't see the Sox firing DJ either. The organization is pretty loyal in regards to firing people--they usually don't. So we're probably stuckwith DJ unless they find another capacity for him in the organization, or DJ decides to get a broadcasting job somewhere else. Even though I haven't heard him yet, I think Robin would be an excellent personality to have in the booth with Hawk. He would have a Wimpy-esque quality that would be very entertaining.:smile:

Brian26
03-06-2005, 10:14 PM
I saw Al Leiter do some postseason broadcasts in 2003, and while he sounded nervous and disjointed at first, he eventually relaxed, and by the end of his run of broadcasts, he sounded like a seasoned veteran.

Very true. I forgot about Leiter, but I was blown away even in 2003 on how good he was. Super informative and refreshingly likable behind the microphone during that Cubs/Marlins series. He was great.

petekat
03-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I think DJ has come a long way, considering how difficult it is for anyone to share a booth with hawk. He's an outsize personality and I think feels threatened by anyone who imposes himself- I think he and DJ are comfortable with one another now- not the case in the first few awkward years. Nice to have a team that complements one another and knows the value of staying silent and letting the images tell the story- no need to fill the air with useless chatter ( a la Farmio or ass clown Tim McCarver).

Good luck to Robin- he better be careful not to speak ill of certain baseball legends, tho, or it's lights out!!:bandance:

http://users2.ev1.net/~mingster/photo/ventura.jpg

JKryl
03-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Bye Bye DJ. You won't be missed.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-08-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm hoping Robin will be Ed Farmer's permanent replacement soon!!!!!!!

mrwag
03-08-2005, 07:29 AM
The new team - "Hawk and Robin".

I like it!

Mickster
03-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Did anyone catch Frank's in-game interview with Rooney & Farmer in the 3rd inning of yesterday's game? Frank said (i'm paraphrasing) something to the effect of "I was looking forward to seeing Robin this year as a member of the staff but when we spoke, he said that he wanted to spend some time with the kids."

I did a double-take.... :dunno: