PDA

View Full Version : Washington Nationals

DoggPhood
03-05-2005, 03:27 PM
the washington nationals uniforms, when they say NATIONALS, looks too much like a national league all-star game jersey. they should've considered this.

that said, i love that espn is already calling them the Nats. i hope this team performs well.

DC Sox Fan
03-07-2005, 09:39 AM
There is already much speculation that the uniforms will be either tweaked or overhauled for next year, as the team is to be sold by MLB this year.

My biggest gripe is how BIG the numbers and letter are on the back. The unis are kind of generic, but if you look closely at the lettering, there is an art-deco feel to them that I like.

The Critic
03-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Maybe instead of National and American on All-Star uniforms, they'll do some sort of NL and AL designs instead.
Or maybe they'll go back to the All-Stars wearing their regular home and road uniforms, like they should have long ago. I know they won't because of $$$, but that's the way I liked it.

HITMEN OF 77
03-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Well, they first messed up by naming the team the "Nationals" they should have went back to the "Senators" the 3rd time has to be a charm for them.

Kuzman
03-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Maybe the ones who own the Nats think they'll all be All-Stars and they can just wear thier jerseys to the game.

DC Sox Fan
03-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Well, they first messed up by naming the team the "Nationals" they should have went back to the "Senators" the 3rd time has to be a charm for them.

Hitmen, the "Senators" actually were officially named the "Nationals" for all but 15 years of their 1905-1971 existence.

Brian26
03-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Hitmen, the "Senators" actually were officially named the "Nationals" for all but 15 years of their 1905-1971 existence.

I've seen this too, but most people, for some reason, associate the two failed franchises in Washington as the "Washington Senators". Are you sure it was only 15 years?

Baby Fisk
03-07-2005, 01:15 PM
I've seen this too, but most people, for some reason, associate the two failed franchises in Washington as the "Washington Senators". Are you sure it was only 15 years?

"Nationals" seems like it used to be a kind of secondary name, or nickname for the Washington club (thinking of terms like Pale Hose, Carmines, Bucs, Redbirds, Flubs, etc.).

DC Sox Fan
03-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Here's some more info on the naming history:

www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/wasdc/nats.html (http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/wasdc/nats.html)

They were the Nats from 1901-1955. Officially changed name to Sens in 1956. The Expansion Senators (1961-71) were always the Senators.

It looks like there was originally a "Senators" team that was contracted.

18??-1899:Senators-->1901-1955:Nationals-->1956-1971:Senators--->2005-Nationals

Looks like a never-ending cycle. Here's hoping that the contraction/relocation part of it is over though :gulp:

FightingBillini
03-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Maybe instead of National and American on All-Star uniforms, they'll do some sort of NL and AL designs instead.
Or maybe they'll go back to the All-Stars wearing their regular home and road uniforms, like they should have long ago. I know they won't because of $$$, but that's the way I liked it.

The all star teams still wear their home and road jerseys during the game. During the home run derby and the pregame festivities, they wear batting practice jerseys that are redesigned every year.

eriqjaffe
03-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Well, they first messed up by naming the team the "Nationals" they should have went back to the "Senators" the 3rd time has to be a charm for them.Except that the Texas Rangers still own the rights to the "Washington Senators" name.

HITMEN OF 77
03-07-2005, 02:28 PM

Sorry I should have clairified myself by saying the 60's version Senator's not the team that became the Twins.

HITMEN OF 77
03-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Except that the Texas Rangers still own the rights to the "Washington Senators" name.

So does this mean on TBC night in Washington, the Nationals can't wear the Senators jerseys?

MisterB
03-07-2005, 02:57 PM
So does this mean on TBC night in Washington, the Nationals can't wear the Senators jerseys?

Only if they 'Turn Back' before 1961. (Actually they can't do that, since the franchise that is now in Washington didn't exist before '69.)

The Critic
03-08-2005, 11:29 AM
The all star teams still wear their home and road jerseys during the game. During the home run derby and the pregame festivities, they wear batting practice jerseys that are redesigned every year.

You are absolutely right! D'OH!!!
How on earth could I get that so wrong?:?:
Thanks for the correction, Bill!