PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Uniforms

SOXSINCE'70
03-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Quick question:

Do you like the names on the back of the Sox' uniforms
or would you just prefer to see the player's jersey number??

Being "old school",I select just seeing the
player's number on their jersey. :cool:

VivaOzzie
03-05-2005, 03:56 PM
I like the number + name. Not because I need to know the names, but hopefully we'll be attracting a lot of new fans who need to know the names. It also helps the kids out. Having the number alone is a little too 'yankees' for me.

HomeFish
03-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Ridiculous. The Sox pioneered names on jerseys, iirc, and its something that I'd like to see from them for all time.

FightingBillini
03-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Ridiculous. The Sox pioneered names on jerseys, iirc, and its something that I'd like to see from them for all time.

Agreed. To me it doesnt look "traditional" with no name on jerseys, it looks little league. Its like they use the same jerseys every year and pass them down. The fat kid always gets #44.

Besides that, the Flubs are doing it this year, and I dont want anyone to ever believe that we copied anything from them. They have stolen so much from us.

HITMEN OF 77
03-05-2005, 04:34 PM
I prefer the names on the back.

SoxFan76
03-05-2005, 04:37 PM
The Sox were the first to put names on jerseys. I'm guessing it was another Veeck idea. Why dump it if we are the originals?

illinibk
03-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I like the number + name. Not because I need to know the names, but hopefully we'll be attracting a lot of new fans who need to know the names. It also helps the kids out. Having the number alone is a little too 'yankees' for me.
Very true. As far as I am concerned, only the Yankees and Indiana basketball unis look right with no name on the back.

The Racehorse
03-05-2005, 06:15 PM
This isn't the Yankees... numbers and names. :cool:

Hangar18
03-05-2005, 06:26 PM
The Sox were the first to put names on jerseys. I'm guessing it was another Veeck idea. Why dump it if we are the originals?

Exactly. This organization has a big perception problem with being CHEAP,
and seeing jerseys with no names on them reminds me of High School
teams that CANT AFFORD to put names on the backs of jerseys.
It looks Drab and Cheap ...... and im GLAD the cubs are doing that!
Thats such a bogus looking home uniform, removing the names
makes it look that much more bush league :smile:

Ol' No. 2
03-05-2005, 06:53 PM
I know this is going to come as a shock to people around here, but most fans aren't as maniacal as we are. Many wouldn't even know the players' names if it wasn't on the backs! In fact, they can look down at the bullpen and won't even be able to identify who's warming up by his arm motion. (I know. Shocking, isn't it?) So let's cut them some slack and leave the names alone, shall we?

Palehose13
03-05-2005, 08:29 PM

Bingo!

There's nothing more traditional than that. :cool:

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
03-05-2005, 08:51 PM
i still think the road uniforms need a change. they should change the scripted "chicago" to olde english letters just like the "s-o-x" on the hats

owensmouth
03-05-2005, 09:40 PM

I believe he borrowed the idea from the American Football League.

doublem23
03-05-2005, 10:05 PM
i still think the road uniforms need a change. they should change the scripted "chicago" to olde english letters just like the "s-o-x" on the hats

No thanks, I think that would look ugly that size and prominant. I like the jerseys the way they are, they use the alternate black top a bit too much, but in terms of design they are very, very excellent.

tebman
03-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Indeed it was a Veeck idea. The Sox started wearing their names on their jerseys in 1960. Of course, the rest of MLB said that it was bush and that Veeck was once again demeaning the game, blah, blah, blah. I remember reading an interview with Veeck in which he was asked about that, and his response was something like, "I thought that people might like to know the players' names."

- tebman

Cubbiesuck13
03-05-2005, 10:28 PM

The yankees are the reason why we have pinstripes.

SouthBendSox
03-05-2005, 10:52 PM
how about a nice big

Flubs Suck!

on the back

peeonwrigley
03-05-2005, 11:49 PM
I kind of like the team concept thing, especially with the new style club Kenny has put together this year.

That said, since names on the jersey originated on the South Side lets keep 'em.

I voted as I don't care. If we win games I could give a crap what the unis look like.

CubsfansareDRUNK
03-05-2005, 11:53 PM
wait a sec, are the cubs putting no names on the back?

SpammySosa
03-06-2005, 03:10 AM
how about a nice big

Flubs Suck!

on the back

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY EYESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

:tealpolice:

Joosh
03-06-2005, 03:22 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY EYESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

:tealpolice:

Thats, like, his third time tonight. I caught him twice. I think an intervention is in order.

cwsox
03-06-2005, 08:46 AM

no one said it better

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2005, 08:54 AM
no one said it better

I reluctantly agree. The traditionalist in me says keep the names off the home uniforms. However it was Veeck's innovation to put names on uniforms with the Sox back in 1960. A really smart marketer (are you listening, Brooks Boyer!) would play up this angle and use it as one more example of the rich history of White Sox baseball. The exploding scoreboard was another controversial Sox innovation that today is well-accepted elsewhere. It's this sort of franchise history the Sox ought to embrace. (Leave 1919 for the sour grapes crowd. It doesn't sell.)

And speaking of marketing ideas, Brooks could use this opportunity to tweak the nose of the Cubune who added names to the back of Flubbie uniforms several years ago. Totally Biased Sox Fans would eat that **** up.
:cool:

Bucky F. Dent
03-06-2005, 10:04 AM
No more changes to the uniforms, please!
I've felt like an idiot watching my team changes its uniform styles so bloody often over the course of the past twenty years!

yoester
03-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Definitely keep the names on the back. If every team removed their names off their jerseys, I'd be flipping through games on the television and I would not know who's who or what. I'd talk to a friend the next day and say, yeah that number 6 on the Rangers is awesome. The Sox already don't get no love or National attention, so when they broadcast nationally on Espn, other fans would not know anyone on the Sox.

ma_deuce
03-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I hate names on the back of jerseys. I especially hate it when the names are unbelievably long and create an annoying arch around the number. Even worse is when two guys on the team have the same last name and you have to add their first initials so that the "fans" will not confuse them.

I can sum up the biggest problem with names on jerseys with just one word though: Ichiro

Deuce

I want Mags back
03-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Names on the back kick ass
Bill Veeck created the Idea so we should keep them to pay amish to him
Every one at my school loves our hockey jerseys because were the only team that plays more to put them on. Keep em

Note: I reason the Spring training uni's dont have them is because they are actually the BP's, as opposed to the normal Black alternates that have names

Stroker Ace
03-11-2005, 03:35 AM
Exactly. This organization has a big perception problem with being CHEAP,
and seeing jerseys with no names on them reminds me of High School
teams that CANT AFFORD to put names on the backs of jerseys.
It looks Drab and Cheap ...... and im GLAD the cubs are doing that!
Thats such a bogus looking home uniform, removing the names
makes it look that much more bush league :smile:

Yeah, with no names on the back, I feel it makes an organization look cheap.

My 100th post. HELL YEAH!

DC Sox Fan
03-11-2005, 09:02 AM
No more changes to the uniforms, please!
I've felt like an idiot watching my team changes its uniform styles so bloody often over the course of the past twenty years!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the new uni been around since the end of the '90 season? IIRC they busted 'em out the last month or 2 of Old Comiskey's last stand. I remember seeing them for the first time, as I was in Chitown at the time. My dad almost shed a tear b/c they reminded him of the old school unis he grew up with in the '50s.

Anyway, there have been some slight changes/additions- the "vest" alternate home, the alternate road- I believe ANOTHER first for us, BTW- correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we the FIRST team to don the alternate "sunday" jerseys? Look around the league now, we are freakin' pioneers!

But I digress- sure we had 3 different unis in the '80s, Bucky, but I think we've had 14+ seasons of the same one. And I for one hope it never changes again...

mweflen
03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
We need to keep the names. Screw all the other teams. To paraphrase mommies all over, if they all jumped off a cliff, would we too?

Our road unis are also CLASSIC. No changes required. The "Chicago" script is perfect as is.

Procol Harum
03-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Bill Veeck created the Idea so we should keep them to pay amish to him

What's the late Bill Veeck gonna do with a bunch of technophobe Anabaptist farmers?? And who are we to be handing them over to him anyway?!?!?!
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-11-2005, 10:45 AM

Anyway, there have been some slight changes/additions- the "vest" alternate home, the alternate road- I believe ANOTHER first for us, BTW- correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we the FIRST team to don the alternate "sunday" jerseys? Look around the league now, we are freakin' pioneers!

Just a couple of clarifications. The Sox never had a vest uniform until 1999. That puts us well behind other clubs known for their vests, notably Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and KC/Oakland back in the Charlie Finley days. Also I believe one of the original clubs to use a vest was (gasp!) the Flubs but they didn't stick with it.

I like the Sox vests because they maximize the striking contrast between the team's colors: black & white. It doesn't get any better...
:thumbsup:

There have been innummerable alternate jerseys worn through the years by nearly every ballclub so the Sox aren't unique. However the introduction of the "Black Sunday" uniforms in 1991 definitely helped re-popularize alternate uniforms (especially black ones) because the Sox alternate jersey was such a big seller with fashion-conscious "fans."

DC Sox Fan
03-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the clarification, PHG. I didn't mean to infer that we were pioneers with the "vests", only the Sunday alternates

MisterB
03-11-2005, 11:42 AM
The yankees are the reason why we have pinstripes.

Not necessarily. Looking at the Baseball HOF uniform database (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/database.htm#database), it appears the Cubs were the 'pinstripe pioneers' among baseball teams. They had an alternate home uniform in 1907 with narrow-spaced pinstripes (which they applied to their road uniform in '08), and which other teams adopted in the following years. They also had the first wide-spaced pinstripes on their 1911 home uniforms. The Yankees adopted wide pinstripes in 1912, dropped them for 2 years and re-introduced them in 1915. The Sox put narrow pinstripes on their home uniforms in 1912, and changed to wide pinstripes in 1914.

yoester
03-11-2005, 04:07 PM
I hate names on the back of jerseys. I especially hate it when the names are unbelievably long and create an annoying arch around the number. Even worse is when two guys on the team have the same last name and you have to add their first initials so that the "fans" will not confuse them.

I can sum up the biggest problem with names on jerseys with just one word though: Ichiro

Deuce

I don't get it? What's Ichiro got to do with it? His last name is Suzuki. Same number of letters of his first name.

zach074
03-11-2005, 04:24 PM
The only thing I want different on the uniforms this year is a World Series patch.

wdelaney72
03-11-2005, 04:28 PM

HELL NO!!!

That's my favorite jersey of the three currently in use. I love the road gray.

As far as name's go, just becuase something is more "traditional" doesn't mean it's better. I think it's fine for the Yankees, because they NEVER put the names on. The fact that the Cubs have had them on for a number of years and are now removing them "to be more traditional" is just plain stupid.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-11-2005, 04:28 PM

Damn straight it was a Veeck idea, just like the idea of having throwback uniforms. The 1976-81 uni's were throwbacks to Sox uni's from the turn of the 20th century.

:veeck

Rush20
03-11-2005, 07:08 PM

I agree. I would also like the trim changed to simple black piping. I think they would compliment the home uniforms better that way.

joe250
03-11-2005, 07:12 PM
I don't get it? What's Ichiro got to do with it? His last name is Suzuki. Same number of letters of his first name.

I believe he isn't referring to the length of his name, but for the fact that "Ichiro" is on his jersey as opposed to the proper "Suzuki."

Stroker Ace
03-12-2005, 06:19 PM

I says Ichiro on the back because the first names are on the back of the jerseys in Japan.

Cubbiesuck13
03-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Not necessarily. Looking at the Baseball HOF uniform database (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/database.htm#database), it appears the Cubs were the 'pinstripe pioneers' among baseball teams. They had an alternate home uniform in 1907 with narrow-spaced pinstripes (which they applied to their road uniform in '08), and which other teams adopted in the following years. They also had the first wide-spaced pinstripes on their 1911 home uniforms. The Yankees adopted wide pinstripes in 1912, dropped them for 2 years and re-introduced them in 1915. The Sox put narrow pinstripes on their home uniforms in 1912, and changed to wide pinstripes in 1914.

Sorry if I was wrong. I read a quote the Comiskey wanted to "look like a winner" so he adopted the pinstripes.

Maximo
03-15-2005, 11:34 AM
What's the late Bill Veeck gonna do with a bunch of technophobe Anabaptist farmers?? And who are we to be handing them over to him anyway?!?!?!
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

In case you were wondering if anybody caught the satire, PH.....I did. :D:

Maximo
03-15-2005, 11:38 AM
I have no problem with it. I just wish all players would remember the quote attributed to Herb Brooks and a few other coaches.........."the name on the front is a helluva lot more important than the one on the back!"

MisterB
03-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Sorry if I was wrong. I read a quote the Comiskey wanted to "look like a winner" so he adopted the pinstripes.

Then it wouldn't have been New York he was copying, since the Highlanders finished 50-102 while wearing their pinstripes in 1912. Maybe that's why they dropped them for a couple of years...:D:

Cubbiesuck13
03-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Then it wouldn't have been New York he was copying, since the Highlanders finished 50-102 while wearing their pinstripes in 1912. Maybe that's why they dropped them for a couple of years...:D:

I dunno. That's just a quote I read.