PDA

View Full Version : Beating the system?

Spicoli
03-05-2005, 02:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried to get around the mlb.tv blackout problem with the obvious solution:

Since the idea is one can subscribe to this service and then watch games from anywhere--i.e., if you are traveling on business you could watch on your laptop at the airport, etc.--then if you sign up for the service using an address that is outside of the White Sox blackout area, then can you see Sox games?

I have in-laws who live outside of the blackout area; if they, say, purchased the All-Access Pass, and gave me the login password, etc., would I be able to watch White Sox games, despite being inside the blackout area? Is it just a matter of from what zipcode the billing address is from how they determine this? If so, this could be easy for everyone to get around, no?

Perhaps since it sounds too easy, it isn't...?

santo=dorf
03-05-2005, 02:28 PM
I think they are able to black it out based on the zip code of your internet provider.

My friend and I tried watching Cubs and Sox games when they were WCIU using an account registered by one of his buddies who is from Boston. No luck. :(:

Fenway
03-05-2005, 02:31 PM
My understanding is they use the zip code on your credit card billing address

VivaOzzie
03-05-2005, 02:50 PM
I had a problem when I was in East Lansing, trying to watch a Sox-Tigers game @ Detroit. It wasn't televised for some reason, and of course I was in the blackout area for mlb.tv. I just called them up and told them that I was at my lakehouse up north (I have no such lakehouse) and being a lakehouse, there were no tv's. Since I was supposedly up north, and thus technically out of the blackout area, they gave me a keycode so I could watch the game.

I only tried this a couple of times, so it might just work a few times. Don't know if you were trying to get around the blackout for the whole season, but this at least works in desperate times.

Good luck!

VivaOzzie
03-05-2005, 02:53 PM

I don't think they use the billing zip, bc we used my friend's card with a Yorkville address. I would assume that a lot of the games would've been blacked out for us, unless Yorkville is west enough to be out of the blackout area.

RKMeibalane
03-05-2005, 03:23 PM

That's good. My credit card bill is still being sent to my parents' house because I haven't supplied a forwarding address, yet. :D: