PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Reporting and Sports Radio

Spicoli
03-05-2005, 06:57 AM
[Mods, I am not certain, being new here, where this thread belongs. So please move where appropriate.]

This morning I was listening to NPR and they were interviewing Murray Chass, NY Times baseball reporter. They were discussing the recent barbs from Red Sox players toward Alex Rodriguez. What I found interesting is that, rather than focusing on the exchanges per se, Chass used this as a moment to chastise baseball reporters. He contends that reporters are trying to drum up drama to write about so they bait players into giving them sound bites. No news here, I know. But what I found interesting is how he supported his claim with the example of how two different papers ran stories after Arroyo responded--both using the exact same quotes; one paper said Arroyo came to A-Rod's defense, the other said he was being more critical of A-Rod.

Chass then went on about how this is dispicable and lamented good baseball writing instead of this tabloid pulp. He then went on to say that he believes the worst thing to happen to baseball (sports) journalism is call-in radio sports talk shows. The hosts often make outrageous claims in order to get people on air making equally hyperbolic exclamations; hence, it really is not sports NEWS, rather than tabloid sensationalism. Chass further states that unfortunately print journalists and news papers are following this model, only the reporters are solely responsible for egging on the players to provide them canon fodder. Here is an NY Times article in which Chass discusses this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/21/sports/baseball/21chass.html?

Also, you might be interested that it was Chass who recently wrote an article about the White Sox...a favorable one! Here is the link to that:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/27/sports/baseball/27chass.ready.html

At any rate, with all of the talk here on WSI about the bad coverage the White Sox get in the media and so forth, I thought this might be interesting to some.