PDA

View Full Version : What Real Sox fans want!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chez742002
03-05-2005, 03:27 AM
I was looking back at a comment from the worst PR man in the history of American civilization, Rob Gallas, former Sox Vice President of Marketing. I read the article on the WSI homepage about the Sox inability to get a fair shake in the city. I know a lot of the problems occurred before this(1995), but this, to me was the worst comment and public relations decision (BLUNDER) of all times. This was one of many reasons "why?", some Sox fans stopped coming to games and why attendance took a huge downturn in 1995. This comment was in response to a reporter stating that, some Sox fans beliefs that Chairman Reinsdorf owed Sox fans a world championship because he was the cause of the 1994 strike. It was true that Reinsdorf had a little to do with the strike, but he was not the sole reason and main person to blame, there were many other owners and players who had more to do with it, but did not have the stones to stand up for what they thought was right and a needed change. Reinsdorf had the cahones the size of watermelons and stood by his business decision (unlike Bud Selig, John Henry, Mike Illitch and George Steinbrenner)For that reason, he is a real man with honor among thieves and liars; even though it was a bad business decision for baseball and the Sox; and that it hurt many Sox fans who have longed many years for a World Series title. Whatever the media says about Reinsdorf, they cannot call him a coward; he is a real man and practices business ethics, which nowadays, many businesses and their management do not practice or believe in. He is a good business man, Chicago's all time greatest owner. He has been an owner for 6 World Championships (all by the Bulls) and he has spent money wisely, but maybe a little too frugal, but we have had winning teams by him. So to hell with you Magglio!! You screwed yourself for not signing the deal that was offered because you wanted to see what was out there; you found it and I hope your happy..... BEAUTIFUL DETROIT and its cavernous outfield, where you have 1 career home run and where that career is going to end. You made your bed, now lay in it and the Sox did the right thing letting you go.All you writers who write that Reinsdorf is a bad owner and incapable of creating a winner, you are wrong and I hope he keeps proving your stupidity. By the way, PHIL ROGERS and GAY MARIOTTI, the difference between Ozzie Guillen and Magglio Ordonez's situations are that Ozzie wanted to take a paycut to stay and finish his career with the Sox and the team had no real replacement, while Magglio wanted to see what was out there for him and would not sign a fair comtract offer the Sox had given him. Mags did not want to be here, Ozzie did. Mags signed Scott Boras, the scum bag, knowing Boras and the Sox have bad blood between them. So Mags got what he deserved and now he has to lay in the bed he made for himself. The team made the good move getting Dye and others instead of resigning Magglio and Detroit will get a man who probably will play 1/3 of a season and Magglio will have to find another job because of stupidity. For those reasons, Gay and Phil, Ozzie is not a hypocrite for replying to Magglio's comments and I hope you two have the chance to spend 15 million a year on a man who might not be able to walk for a whole season. I fyou two would, I have some property on Lake Michigan to sell you both.
Back to Gallas and the past, when he made this remark, Jerry should have fired him on the spot, instead of remaining a loyal boss, which seems to go against the theory of Mariotti and Rogers, who state that Reinsdorf is unloyal and cheap. I wonder why all the ex- Sox players are coaching or are a part of the organization somehow or somewhere. After this quote, I wrote my beliefs on what Mr Reinsdorf could do if we do not win it all this year, I just hope we pull off the World Championship this year so he does not have to do something about it next year!! Here is the quote from Rob Gallas in 1995 from the Southtown Economist:

"We do not owe the fans anything, they owe us for putting the product on the field, so they can enjoy their favorite pasttime! What about what the fans owe us? That is the problem, they think we owe them everything and they do not have to show us any loyalty, that is a terrible way to treat a business that has been loyal to their customers. It really does not happen like that in any other business and that is wrong!" (Rob Gallas; after the 1994 strike and our chance to be World Champions)

That guy was a horse's patoot and did not do his job, he insulted all of us fans who love the Sox and all we want is a winning team that spends it's money to continue winning. We want and need at least 1 title before we all die.
The weird thing about this statement was that he compared the baseball business to others not in sports and it made me think, " What would happen if a popular restaurant did not think they were making enough money or even any profit at all and decided to lower the quality of food until the business' profits rose to their satisfaction?" The answer is that they would lose all their business altogether because their product would be less than desirable. A good restaurant or any other customer service/sales business needs to continually satisfy their patrons before they can fully succeed and become profitable, not vice versa.
I am and always will be a Sox fan for life, but I know that if Mr Reinsdorf allocated more money on the team for one year, he would see a growth in profit and attendance. Sox fans only care about winning, nothing else! Not fireworks, not food, not games, not $1.00 beers, not hot chicks or a bar area(alright we do care alot about bars, women and beer)! I know there is a possibility that higher payroll might not equal more wins and a World Series ring, but if he tried and still failed, the Sox fans would respect him more and give him a pass. I do not believe that there would be a big of loss of money at all, the team might even turn a profit. A dominant team for the Sox, or even the knowledge of a 100 million dollar payroll and the owners effort to create a championship, would increase season tickets to at least 1.5 million during the offseason (1 million right now and there are many question marks). It is highly possible that attendance could reach 3 million for the season. This has happened before in the early 1990's, 1983 and I believe in the late 50's early 60's. The costs could be offset by spending less money on commercials, ads, giveaways, PR functions and other promotions that are not outside business sponsored. I know this would take humongo huevos, but it would work; and Sox fans would definitely get off of his back.
Mr Reinsdorf is not getting any younger and he says his dream is a White Sox World Series, so go get one, especially while Frank Thomas is still here; he deserves it too!!!! "How many Sox fans want more billboards or stupid commercials?" NONE! Save that money and spend it on players, we would be much happier with more talent!!!
Even though I am proposing this, I love the vision of Kenny Williams and the look of this team. I have great hope in them, however, I would like to see my father and grandpa see a Sox championship before they die, so if it does not work this year, which I think it will...GO FOR IT ALL NEXT YEAR and GIVE THE SOUTHSIDE SOMETHING TO TAUNT THE FLUBS FANS WITH!!!
GO SOX!!!
GO SOX!!!

My two favorite teams are: :D::redface:THE WHITESOX:redneck :wink:and whoever plays, beats and embarasses the FLUBS:angry: :whiner: !!!!

LETS DRINK AND DANCE TO THAT:gulp: :dtroll::bandance:

SoxWillWin
03-05-2005, 03:50 AM
:wired: :thumbsup: :wired:

MUsoxfan
03-05-2005, 04:29 AM
That's really wordy and I don't know what to say to it because it hurts my eyes. Go Sox!

MUsoxfan
03-05-2005, 04:30 AM
And welcome to the WSI boards chez!

hsnterprize
03-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Well said...Chez. Well said.

mccombe_35
03-05-2005, 08:34 AM
3 million for the season[/b]. This has happened before in the early 1990's, 1983 and I believe in the late 50's early 60's.

I agree with most of the post, but............

the Sox have never drawn 3 million in a season. They did come close in the early 90's when they drew 2.9, 2.7, & 2.6 mil from '91 - '93. In '83 they were at 2.1 mil, & the most they ever drew in the 50's or 60's was 1.6 mil in 1960.

Attendance is always an issue with the Sox, but you have to like the trend - 2004 was the highest game average since 1994 (24,437 per). not bad considering in 1999 the average was 16,656 per......

carry on....:smile:

TornLabrum
03-05-2005, 09:11 AM
I agree with most of the post, but............

the Sox have never drawn 3 million in a season. They did come close in the early 90's when they drew 2.9, 2.7, & 2.6 mil from '91 - '93. In '83 they were at 2.1 mil, & the most they ever drew in the 50's or 60's was 1.6 mil in 1960.

Attendance is always an issue with the Sox, but you have to like the trend - 2004 was the highest game average since 1994 (24,437 per). not bad considering in 1999 the average was 16,656 per......

carry on....:smile:

2 million did not become the standard for attendance until the 1980s. When you say the most the Sox drew in the '50s or '60s was 1.6 million, you should add that that was terrific attendance. It was also conclusive proof that until the Sox went to Channel 32 in 1967 and the Cubs actually produced a team with a record above .500, the Sox owned Chicago.

Attendance was never an issue with the Sox throughout the 1950s, until about 1966 or '67.

zach074
03-05-2005, 10:23 AM
and when it comes to baseball we've got two favorite clubs the GO GO White Sox and who ever plays the Cubs!:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

PAPChiSox729
03-05-2005, 10:30 AM
A little wordy, but your point is well taken. Well said, Chez.:thumbsup:

Dan H
03-05-2005, 11:46 AM
All I can say is that the Bulls would have won nothing if it wasn't for Michael Jordan, and he was run off the team.

Regardless, whatever the Bulls have done, that has nothing to do with the White Sox. It is time for a World Championship and no more blaming the fans and making other excuses. Jerry Reinsdorf needs to stop talking and start delivering. Real Sox fans are not like Cubs fans. We don't think one World Series championship every century or so is lovable.

oeo
03-05-2005, 01:03 PM
All I can say is that the Bulls would have won nothing if it wasn't for Michael Jordan, and he was run off the team.

Regardless, whatever the Bulls have done, that has nothing to do with the White Sox. It is time for a World Championship and no more blaming the fans and making other excuses. Jerry Reinsdorf needs to stop talking and start delivering. Real Sox fans are not like Cubs fans. We don't think one World Series championship every century or so is lovable.

But they did have Michael Jordan...how can you say that IF they did not have him, they wouldn't have won anything, they had him, and that's that; you can't take championships away because they had the best basketball player to ever live.

Lip Man 1
03-05-2005, 01:11 PM
I think what Dan is saying (and correct me Dan if I'm wrong) is that when Jerry Reinsdorf bought the Bulls he already had Michael Jordan. The organization did nothing to get him, it was a fortunate stroke of fate that they already had him when they bought the team.

Dan is implying that without Jordan, the organization did very little or nothing to ensure that they would have won a championship.

In other words the organization can't take credit for building six championships because the foundation was already acquired by a different organization.

If I put words in Dan's mouth I apologize.

Lip

oeo
03-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Maybe he did mean that, but the way he worded it, I got the Bulls as a franchise and not by who owned the team.

Frank the Tank
03-05-2005, 01:40 PM
So what was the PR Mistake by Gallas ???

Ol' No. 2
03-05-2005, 05:20 PM
I was looking back at a comment from the worst PR man in the history of American civilization, Rob Gallas, former Sox Vice President of Marketing. I read the article on the WSI homepage about the Sox inability to get a fair shake in the city. I know a lot of the problems occurred before this(1995), but this, to me was the worst comment and public relations decision (BLUNDER) of all times. This was one of many reasons "why?", some Sox fans stopped coming to games and why attendance took a huge downturn in 1995. This comment was in response to a reporter stating that, some Sox fans beliefs that Chairman Reinsdorf owed Sox fans a world championship because he was the cause of the 1994 strike. It was true that Reinsdorf had a little to do with the strike, but he was not the sole reason and main person to blame, there were many other owners and players who had more to do with it, but did not have the stones to stand up for what they thought was right and a needed change. Reinsdorf had the cahones the size of watermelons and stood by his business decision (unlike Bud Selig, John Henry, Mike Illitch and George Steinbrenner)For that reason, he is a real man with honor among thieves and liars; even though it was a bad business decision for baseball and the Sox; and that it hurt many Sox fans who have longed many years for a World Series title. Whatever the media says about Reinsdorf, they cannot call him a coward; he is a real man and practices business ethics, which nowadays, many businesses and their management do not practice or believe in. He is a good business man, Chicago's all time greatest owner. He has been an owner for 6 World Championships (all by the Bulls) and he has spent money wisely, but maybe a little too frugal, but we have had winning teams by him. So to hell with you Magglio!! You screwed yourself for not signing the deal that was offered because you wanted to see what was out there; you found it and I hope your happy..... BEAUTIFUL DETROIT and its cavernous outfield, where you have 1 career home run and where that career is going to end. You made your bed, now lay in it and the Sox did the right thing letting you go.All you writers who write that Reinsdorf is a bad owner and incapable of creating a winner, you are wrong and I hope he keeps proving your stupidity. By the way, PHIL ROGERS and GAY MARIOTTI, the difference between Ozzie Guillen and Magglio Ordonez's situations are that Ozzie wanted to take a paycut to stay and finish his career with the Sox and the team had no real replacement, while Magglio wanted to see what was out there for him and would not sign a fair comtract offer the Sox had given him. Mags did not want to be here, Ozzie did. Mags signed Scott Boras, the scum bag, knowing Boras and the Sox have bad blood between them. So Mags got what he deserved and now he has to lay in the bed he made for himself. The team made the good move getting Dye and others instead of resigning Magglio and Detroit will get a man who probably will play 1/3 of a season and Magglio will have to find another job because of stupidity. For those reasons, Gay and Phil, Ozzie is not a hypocrite for replying to Magglio's comments and I hope you two have the chance to spend 15 million a year on a man who might not be able to walk for a whole season. I fyou two would, I have some property on Lake Michigan to sell you both.
Back to Gallas and the past, when he made this remark, Jerry should have fired him on the spot, instead of remaining a loyal boss, which seems to go against the theory of Mariotti and Rogers, who state that Reinsdorf is unloyal and cheap. I wonder why all the ex- Sox players are coaching or are a part of the organization somehow or somewhere. After this quote, I wrote my beliefs on what Mr Reinsdorf could do if we do not win it all this year, I just hope we pull off the World Championship this year so he does not have to do something about it next year!! Here is the quote from Rob Gallas in 1995 from the Southtown Economist:

"We do not owe the fans anything, they owe us for putting the product on the field, so they can enjoy their favorite pasttime! What about what the fans owe us? That is the problem, they think we owe them everything and they do not have to show us any loyalty, that is a terrible way to treat a business that has been loyal to their customers. It really does not happen like that in any other business and that is wrong!" (Rob Gallas; after the 1994 strike and our chance to be World Champions)

That guy was a horse's patoot and did not do his job, he insulted all of us fans who love the Sox and all we want is a winning team that spends it's money to continue winning. We want and need at least 1 title before we all die.
The weird thing about this statement was that he compared the baseball business to others not in sports and it made me think, " What would happen if a popular restaurant did not think they were making enough money or even any profit at all and decided to lower the quality of food until the business' profits rose to their satisfaction?" The answer is that they would lose all their business altogether because their product would be less than desirable. A good restaurant or any other customer service/sales business needs to continually satisfy their patrons before they can fully succeed and become profitable, not vice versa.
I am and always will be a Sox fan for life, but I know that if Mr Reinsdorf allocated more money on the team for one year, he would see a growth in profit and attendance. Sox fans only care about winning, nothing else! Not fireworks, not food, not games, not $1.00 beers, not hot chicks or a bar area(alright we do care alot about bars, women and beer)! I know there is a possibility that higher payroll might not equal more wins and a World Series ring, but if he tried and still failed, the Sox fans would respect him more and give him a pass. I do not believe that there would be a big of loss of money at all, the team might even turn a profit. A dominant team for the Sox, or even the knowledge of a 100 million dollar payroll and the owners effort to create a championship, would increase season tickets to at least 1.5 million during the offseason (1 million right now and there are many question marks). It is highly possible that attendance could reach 3 million for the season. This has happened before in the early 1990's, 1983 and I believe in the late 50's early 60's. The costs could be offset by spending less money on commercials, ads, giveaways, PR functions and other promotions that are not outside business sponsored. I know this would take humongo huevos, but it would work; and Sox fans would definitely get off of his back.
Mr Reinsdorf is not getting any younger and he says his dream is a White Sox World Series, so go get one, especially while Frank Thomas is still here; he deserves it too!!!! "How many Sox fans want more billboards or stupid commercials?" NONE! Save that money and spend it on players, we would be much happier with more talent!!!
Even though I am proposing this, I love the vision of Kenny Williams and the look of this team. I have great hope in them, however, I would like to see my father and grandpa see a Sox championship before they die, so if it does not work this year, which I think it will...GO FOR IT ALL NEXT YEAR and GIVE THE SOUTHSIDE SOMETHING TO TAUNT THE FLUBS FANS WITH!!!
GO SOX!!!
GO SOX!!!

My two favorite teams are: :D::redface:THE WHITESOX:redneck :wink:and whoever plays, beats and embarasses the FLUBS:angry: :whiner: !!!!

LETS DRINK AND DANCE TO THAT:gulp: :dtroll::bandance:Is there a Cliff's Notes version of this?

SouthBendSox
03-05-2005, 09:59 PM
amazing response, amazing post

but personally i think its still possible to not demonize Maggs and still be a Sox fan

REFIRE MANUEL