PDA

View Full Version : Sox ticket sales are up.

chisoxmike
03-04-2005, 10:25 PM
From whitesox.com

Going, going, gone:
Regular-season ticket sales went over the one-million mark for the White Sox Thursday, putting the team approximately 180,000 ahead of last year's pace. The organization benefited from putting the tickets on sale in mid-January, at SoxFest, as opposed to mid-March as they did during Spring Training last year.

voodoochile
03-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Sure and of course casual fans still can't get season tickets to Wrigley - and that includes a LOT of corporate money. So long as the flubbies are popular and look like playoff contenders, the Sox will reap the benefits. It is VERY crucial that they continue to make smart decisions regarding personnel, ballpark additions and marketing during this period. They cannot lose unless they totally screw it up and if they do a good job, they can actually start to change the tide.

idseer
03-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Sure and of course casual fans still can't get season tickets to Wrigley - and that includes a LOT of corporate money. So long as the flubbies are popular and look like playoff contenders, the Sox will reap the benefits. It is VERY crucial that they continue to make smart decisions regarding personnel, ballpark additions and marketing during this period. They cannot lose unless they totally screw it up and if they do a good job, they can actually start to change the tide.

in that case ... i don't like our odds.
but who knows? maybe they HAVE learned something from they bumbling ways in the past.

HomeFish
03-04-2005, 10:55 PM
This could just mean that people are buying tickets earlier than last year (due to them going on sale earlier), not that more tickets are being sold.

Ultimately, I think that, especially for Sox fans, marketing and other such decisions take a back seat to the quality of the product on the field. If the Sox contend and continue to produce exciting home wins, people will attend. If not, expect a lot of empty seats.

But at least they'll be green seats and will look good on TV!

Daver
03-04-2005, 10:55 PM
but who knows? maybe they HAVE learned something from they bumbling ways in the past.

The new marketing company brought in by Boyer is much more attuned to the fans, and has a much better clue than anything Rob Gallas thought to do.

eastchicagosoxfan
03-05-2005, 05:54 AM
There's tremendous optimism going into this season. Again. The Sox are marketed as affordable. The Cubs are a hot ticket, but it getting harder for the average guy to get tickets, and you have to pay through the nose to get them. They continue to raise prices, and use ticket selling policies that shutout a lot of their " fans ". Will it bite them in the ass? Another third place finish, with no shot at the wild card will drive down demand. Unfortunately, that dump is a shrine. As long as the Sox get the kids to come in, demand will rise. I don't think it's a negative to not be sold out on by Opening Day. I know I've had plenty of good times zipping up to the park ( the old one more so ) on a moments notice with a few buddies and enjoying the game. I think there's something to be said for accessability.

MUsoxfan
03-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Also, Sox fans are very fickle. We do not pay money to go to the park to see a losing team regardless if there's an individual smashing tons of HR's. 1,000,000 tickets sold so far is good news. Walk-up tickets are the Sox bread & butter. It upsets me to know that with my new job I can only attend 20 games as opposed to 40, but it pleases me to know that people will be sitting in my seat during those games I miss

PaleHoseGeorge
03-05-2005, 09:31 AM
This could just mean that people are buying tickets earlier than last year (due to them going on sale earlier), not that more tickets are being sold.

Ultimately, I think that, especially for Sox fans, marketing and other such decisions take a back seat to the quality of the product on the field. If the Sox contend and continue to produce exciting home wins, people will attend. If not, expect a lot of empty seats.

This is bass ackwards thinking, Fish. The Sox are ahead of last year's pace because they're MARKETING themselves better. And all it took was getting an early start on selling tickets. Well, duh...

January ticket sales for the Sox last year was zero.
February ticket sales for the Sox last year was zero.

Now that it's March, the usual flood of ticket sales has occurred, but the Sox are still ahead of last year's pace simply for getting a head start. Everything else being equal, they'll hold that advantage all season long.

YOU CAN'T EVER MAKE UP FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY LOST!

:gallas
"Jeez... I really was a **** up, wasn't I?"

jabrch
03-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Let's see here...
1) Put a good product on the field that people realistically think has a chance to win

2) Take a more fan friendly approach to the team

3) Make your promotions strategy something that fans get excited about

4) Get your sales going early and let momentum gain all spring

It sounds like a good formula to me. We might not draw 3mm, but I don't see why we can't get 2.3mm-2.5mm. If the team gets off to a good start, and the weather is complicit early in the spring, we could easily see something over 2.5mm. That would equate to something over 10mm in incremental revenues. Given that we have already bumped the payroll up over last year, and that we have some money in reserves according to Jerry to spend this year still, that would put us in a position to contend for a top tier acquisition at the trade deadline. (Javier Vazquez is probably going to get traded from Arizona - I have my sights set on him.)

CubKilla
03-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Aren't tickets nearly sold out for the 3 game series against the Orioles? ShamME's return?

I doubt tickets were selling as briskly for the Orioles series' last season early on.

Frank the Tank
03-05-2005, 02:03 PM
I think this is great news. I never would have thought the sox would sell over a million season tickets a month before opening day. Crossing the 2 million overall attendance mark is looking really good right now. The recent renovations and marketing is starting to attract casual fans.

Lip Man 1
03-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Jabrch's points are well made.

Ultimately as PHG alluded to, the smartest move the organization may have made in the past ten years was either accepting the resignation of or quietly forcing out Rob Gallas.

Lip

MRKARNO
03-05-2005, 02:18 PM
I also believe that this is good news. It seems as if the White Sox are moving in a direction where they can draw at least 2 million every year. Moving up the date when they released the tickets for sale to the public was an excellent idea. There was nothing to lose for the White Sox to do this, and they finally came to their senses. With Boyer in the promotions department, it seems as though the White Sox are moving in a very good direction.

fquaye149
03-05-2005, 02:24 PM
i guess the journalistic integrity of the chicago papersforced them to point out the fact that our ticket sales started earlier than last year thus perhaps leading to this boon of ticket sales.

Just when you thought the sniping was done...i'll find a link asap

mweflen
03-05-2005, 05:33 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050304sox,1,4771761.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

The Sox have sold more than 1 million tickets for the 2005 regular season, an increase of about 180,000 from this time last year. The Sox, however, put individual tickets on sale two months earlier this winter.

More proof that Sox fans are discriminating and intelligent baseball fans? To read ESPN or SI, the Sox are a lock to lose 90 this year. Apparently, Sox fans feel differently.

thepaulbowski
03-05-2005, 05:48 PM
i guess the journalistic integrity of the chicago papersforced them to point out the fact that our ticket sales started earlier than last year thus perhaps leading to this boon of ticket sales.

Just when you thought the sniping was done...i'll find a link asap

Having the tickets go on sale during Soxfest was a well...duh move. Why wouldn't you have them available when all the hardcore fans are together during the winner and getting excited about baseball coming up. I'm suprised the media didn't try to say the increase was because of hockey fans having money to burn.

ewokpelts
03-11-2005, 11:33 PM
the big difference was getting a jump start on sales back in october, followed by 9/13 games sales, and then ramping up group and individual sales months earlier than in the past. having tickets on sale during soxfest is a no-brainer, i'm a season ticket holder(27 game), and I STILL bought tickets at the makeshift box office. baseball dosent begin for me until i have tickets in my hand, and this year it began in january.
Gene

TornLabrum
03-12-2005, 09:09 AM
having tickets on sale during soxfest is a no-brainer....

Which explains why Rob Gallas never thought of it....

SOXSINCE'70
03-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Jabrch's points are well made.

Ultimately as PHG alluded to, the smartest move the organization may have made in the past ten years was either accepting the resignation of or quietly forcing out Rob Gallas.

Lip

Why they waited so long to force him out is still beyond me.:dunno: :dunno:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Why they waited so long to force him out is still beyond me.

Well it wasn't like we weren't busy over here making the case for action on this subject.
:cool:

"You bastards. I gave you Flying Elvis and this is the thanks I get?"

ewokpelts
03-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Well it wasn't like we weren't busy over here making the case for action on this subject.
:cool:

"You bastards. I gave you Flying Elvis and this is the thanks I get?"
We'd like to thank you Rob, , but you dont answer our emails....
Gene

Hitmen77
03-12-2005, 03:30 PM
From whitesox.com Going, going, gone:
Regular-season ticket sales went over the one-million mark for the White Sox Thursday, putting the team approximately 180,000 ahead of last year's pace. The organization benefited from putting the tickets on sale in mid-January, at SoxFest, as opposed to mid-March as they did during Spring Training last year.

Does this count season ticket sales? It sounds like it doesn't, but I'm not sure. If this doesn't include their season ticket sales, does anyone know how much those would add to the Sox total?

Any, this must be wrong because according to just about every Cub fan I ever talk to, the Sox only draw a few thousand people per game. So 5,000 x 81 games = 400,000 tickets for the whole season. I know that Cub fans are always right about these things and would never spread lies about the Sox, so this story must be wrong!

ewokpelts
03-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Does this count season ticket sales? It sounds like it doesn't, but I'm not sure. If this doesn't include their season ticket sales, does anyone know how much those would add to the Sox total?

Any, this must be wrong because according to just about every Cub fan I ever talk to, the Sox only draw a few thousand people per game. So 5,000 x 81 games = 400,000 tickets for the whole season. I know that Cub fans are always right about these things and would never spread lies about the Sox, so this story must be wrong!
i think that number INCLUDES st sales(9/13/27/81 game plans).....
Gene

Fake Chet Lemon
03-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Sure and of course casual fans still can't get season tickets to Wrigley - and that includes a LOT of corporate money. So long as the flubbies are popular and look like playoff contenders, the Sox will reap the benefits.

One very bad related trend though. Whenever the Cubs raise prices, the following year the Sox tend to follow suit. Last year the Cubs added premium seats behind home plate for the fat cats, and this year at the Cell........see the trend? So I get upset every time the TribCo rasies prices, because I know our day is then soon coming. :angry:

batmanZoSo
03-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Which explains why Rob Gallas never thought of it....

Gallas fits the requirements perfectly, so it's all the more astounding that he didn't think of it.