PDA

View Full Version : Ask Steve Stone...

DrCrawdad
03-04-2005, 06:57 PM
I just heard Stone's report on with Telander. A called asked Stone how Carl Everett looks. Stone said that he hasn't seen Everett yet.

The question I have, and maybe if a WSI poster gets thru they could ask Stone, how many days have you spent at the Sox camp? How many days have you spent at the Cubs camp?

Jabroni
03-04-2005, 07:03 PM
All reports have said that Everett has lost close to 20 pounds in the offseason. He should be alot more trimmed down than what he was last season, which was fat. :tongue:

DrCrawdad
03-04-2005, 07:13 PM
All reports have said that Everett has lost close to 20 pounds in the offseason. He should be alot more trimmed down than what he was last season, which was fat. :tongue:

I guess I wasn't clear. The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't seem that Stone has spent time with the Sox. If Stone had been in the Sox camp then no doubt he would have seen Carl Everett.

Carl Everett is the Sox DH, at least until Frank returns. So if Stone was there in Sox camp don't you think you'd notice the Sox starting DH?

If I were to bet I'd say that Stone has spent little to no time in the Sox camp but has instead been camped out in Mesa with the Cubs.

Today, the SCORE had Oftman and Stone watching the Cubs game and no one watching the Sox.

Just like FoxNews, the SCORE - Fair and Balanced.

Jjav829
03-04-2005, 07:43 PM
I guess I wasn't clear. The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't seem that Stone has spent time with the Sox. If Stone had been in the Sox camp then no doubt he would have seen Carl Everett.

Carl Everett is the Sox DH, at least until Frank returns. So if Stone was there in Sox camp don't you think you'd notice the Sox starting DH?

If I were to bet I'd say that Stone has spent little to no time in the Sox camp but has instead been camped out in Mesa with the Cubs.

Today, the SCORE had Oftman and Stone watching the Cubs game and no one watching the Sox.

Just like FoxNews, the SCORE - Fair and Balanced.

Ofman has been in Tucson the past several days. He just went to Cubs camp this afternoon.

I don't know where Stone is/was. I didn't even know he went to ST yet.

Daver
03-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Ofman has been in Tucson the past several days. He just went to Cubs camp this afternoon.

I don't know where Stone is/was. I didn't even know he went to ST yet.

Steve Stone lives in the Tucson area.

yoester
03-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Score use to say "For your Cubs/White Sox Spring Training, baseball expert Steve Stone ..."

Now the new promos on the Score say "Cubs baseball expert Steve Stone."

There is one commercial where Steve Stone says, "Hey Cub fans, I'm back!"

I heard him the other day and he spent the whole time talking Cubs. He mentioned the White Sox in one brief sentence. No White Sox love at all.

mccombe_35
03-10-2005, 05:51 PM
I've heard him on the radio a few times in the past week or so & he has nothing to say about the Sox. One question they asked Stone was "which Chicago team has a better starting 5?" I should have shut off the radio, i knew what was coming.... After a long talk on how great the Cubs are & how they have three #1 starters (Prior, Zambrano & Wood) he did go on to say he liked Buehrle, & nobody in baseball would consider Garcia a #1.

:mad:

Man, I wanted to call in just rattle off Garcia / Wood stats....

DaveIsHere
03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Stone is a waste, the Score is a waste, and the Flubs are a waste

DrCrawdad
03-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Score use to say "For your Cubs/White Sox Spring Training, baseball expert Steve Stone ..."

Now the new promos on the Score say "Cubs baseball expert Steve Stone."

There is one commercial where Steve Stone says, "Hey Cub fans, I'm back!"

I heard him the other day and he spent the whole time talking Cubs. He mentioned the White Sox in one brief sentence. No White Sox love at all.

The SCORE has Stone and Oftman reporting from ST. I don't know how many times I've heard reports, on the same day, where both of them were reporting from Mesa. Then there is Bruce LeVineLine from ESPN, the Sox station, and he'll be in Mesa as well.

fquaye149
03-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Stone is a waste, the Score is a waste, and the Flubs are a waste

wait - i thought he was going to be our next gm? wasn't that the plan of most of the people who just KNEW kenny was going to do a ****ty job this offseason?

MIgrenade
03-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Didn't we already have a thread about Stone? In that thread I and many others talked about how little Stone mentions the Sox. I'm sure he hasn't been to Sox camp and the more I listen to the Score the less I like it. I remember when almost everyone was a Sox fan and now it just sucks.

Nellie_Fox
03-11-2005, 12:09 AM
And a lot of people on this board were all atwitter at the possibility of Stone becoming the Sox TV color guy.:?:

pearso66
03-11-2005, 01:30 AM
The SCORE has Stone and Oftman reporting from ST. I don't know how many times I've heard reports, on the same day, where both of them were reporting from Mesa. Then there is Bruce LeVineLine from ESPN, the Sox station, and he'll be in Mesa as well.

Not to defend Levine, but I know he spends 2/3 days at each camp and goes back and forth. Unless he is just pretending to be covering the sox?

C-Dawg
03-11-2005, 06:49 AM
I have heard Stone talk about the Sox, but its mainly been after a caller has asked a Sox question. Usually the vast majority of his report is about the Cubs.

I would suspect he wanted the join the Score strictly as their CUBS commentator, but station management insisted he talk about the Sox too. I'm sure he would prefer not to bother with the Sox if it was up to him.

Clembasbal
03-11-2005, 07:57 AM
When I read the title to this thread, I thought it was going to be similar to the "Ask Farmeo" thread...good times...good times.

DrCrawdad
03-11-2005, 08:57 AM
And a lot of people on this board were all atwitter at the possibility of Stone becoming the Sox TV color guy.:?:

I have always felt that Stone was an arrogant pud, but he still would be better than DJ. Ok, no big accomplishment there.

yoester
03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Offman is a joke too. He stated that Willie Harris and Valdez are battling for the backup shortstop spot. He totally forgot who Pablo Ozuna was. How can you report on the Sox and not know that? Baseball expert?

Hangar18
03-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Not to defend Levine, but I know he spends 2/3 days at each camp and goes back and forth. Unless he is just pretending to be covering the sox?

Its a bunch of Bull Junk. Stone im sure wouldnt mind covering the SOX
and be a BASEBALL REPORTER, but the SCORE in their Foolish Wisdom, thinks
hes better suited to be a CUBS BASEBALL REPORTER. There hasnt been a
Single Commercial by the Score that says "SOX REPORTER STEVE STONE".

The fact that someone asked him about Carl Everett, and busted him out
proves that he hasnt spent a single day watching the SOX. its BS.

The Score couldve offset this by Sending Oftman to cover the SOX exclusively,
but they allegedly have him covering the cubs 1/2 the time. Anyone
can do the Math here, and realize the SOX are getting the shaft again.
Bruce Levineline, who works for the SOX flagship station, also allegedly
covers the Cubs 1/2 the time. The Score needs to GIVE UP THE CHARADE AND TELL PEOPLE THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THE SOX and
that Steve Stone simply covers the Cubs. Great Points
Dr Crawdad. All with merit and compelling indeed. Im embarrassed
for the media. Makes Chicagoans look like a bunch of jackasses.

Hangar18
03-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Start calling the SCORE, and when their offline producer asks you
what you want to talk about, MENTION SOMETHING CUB RELATED.
This is Important because you will be put thru immediately.
If you screw up and say you want to talk about the SOX, they WONT
put you thru.

THEN, when you get to speak to STONE on-air, compliment him
and ASK HIM A SOX QUESTION, ask him about the previous days game ....
Bust Him Out ......Bust the Score out .........

DrCrawdad
03-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Start calling the SCORE, and when their offline producer asks you
what you want to talk about, MENTION SOMETHING CUB RELATED.
This is Important because you will be put thru immediately.
If you screw up and say you want to talk about the SOX, they WONT
put you thru.

THEN, when you get to speak to STONE on-air, compliment him
and ASK HIM A SOX QUESTION, ask him about the previous days game ....
Bust Him Out ......Bust the Score out .........

Stone is good at covering his (assets) too, 'cos when he was asked about Everett it was clear that he hadn't seen Everett but he tried to pull a fast one on the caller. It went something like this...

CALLER: Hey, Steve how does Everett look to you?
STONE: Um, ah, well what was it you read about Everett.
CALLER: Everett had put on the pounds last season.
STONE: So, you've read that Carl's put on weight. Of course conditioning is very important...

It's amazing that Stone was supposedly covering the Cubs and the Sox yet he had no idea if Carl Everett was in shape or not. Stone couldn't make one comment on what he'd observed about Everett. Stone had either not been in the Sox camp or didn't even notice Everett.

Carl Everett is not the 60th man in the Sox ST camp. Carl is one of the Sox starting nine and yet Stone can't be bothered.

Maybe the SCORE decided it was time to just call Stone what he is, another Cub reporter and NOT a guy covering both teams.

DrCrawdad
03-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Start calling the SCORE...THEN, when you get to speak to STONE on-air, compliment him and ASK HIM A SOX QUESTION, ask him about the previous days game ....Bust Him Out ......Bust the Score out .........

That's a good strategy. Call Stone and ask him what he's observed and what his thoughts are on Brandon McCarthy, Josh Fields, Sweeney or Anderson. Then sit back and listen to the spin a tale based on never having seen these guys.

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 09:57 PM
"Of course conditioning is very important..."

That's the kind of insight they pay big bucks for.:o:

DrCrawdad
03-11-2005, 11:52 PM
"Of course conditioning is very important..."

That's the kind of insight they pay big bucks for.:o:

Make that man a GM!

I heard Stone's report this evening, they gave him one question on the Sox. It was from J-Hood, one of the hosts. J-Hood expressed concern/worry about Hernandez. Stone had ZERO observations on El-Duque. He make a doomsday remark about the Sox. On the other hand, when asked about Wood, Stone predicted only good things for the Cubbies even in the event that Wood was hobbled, because the Cubs are stocked with right-handed pitchers.

LongLiveFisk
03-12-2005, 10:33 AM
The same thing happened when the Score had Mickey Morandini on as the "Score baseball expert". (Which was humorous to begin with, but that's another story altogether). He knew jack squat about the Sox and seemingly made no apologies for it either. They eventually had to change his title to "Cubs baseball expert". Look for them to do the same for Stone.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to choose a "Sox baseball expert" though.

BigEdWalsh
03-12-2005, 10:54 AM
They eventually had to change his title to "Cubs baseball expert". Look for them to do the same for Stone.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to choose a "Sox baseball expert" though.

For all practical purposes, it's already happened. They run a line all the time that says something along the lines of "Steve Stone, talks Cub baseball on the Score". I haven't heard anything like, "Steve Stone, talks White Sox baseball".

Kinda on the same topic, I kinda like listening to Murph, though I'm not sure why and my patience with him is wearing real thin. I'm sick to death of him mentioning a White Sox topic and inviting Sox fans to call in. When they don't, he gripes as if Sox fans just don't "care". Doesn't he get it? They don't call, BECAUSE THEY AREN'T LISTENING!!
I know what you're thinking, then why are you listening, BigEd? Well, it's because I live in frickin' Wisconsin and the Score at least helps keep me a little bit in touch with Chicago sports. Unfortunately, the Score sucks and I don't wanna listen to the national crap on AM 1000. What's a transplanted flatlander to do? :dunno:

fquaye149
03-12-2005, 11:35 AM
For all practical purposes, it's already happened. They run a line all the time that says something along the lines of "Steve Stone, talks Cub baseball on the Score". I haven't heard anything like, "Steve Stone, talks White Sox baseball".

Kinda on the same topic, I kinda like listening to Murph, though I'm not sure why and my patience with him is wearing real thin. I'm sick to death of him mentioning a White Sox topic and inviting Sox fans to call in. When they don't, he gripes as if Sox fans just don't "care". Doesn't he get it? They don't call, BECAUSE THEY AREN'T LISTENING!!
I know what you're thinking, then why are you listening, BigEd? Well, it's because I live in frickin' Wisconsin and the Score at least helps keep me a little bit in touch with Chicago sports. Unfortunately, the Score sucks and I don't wanna listen to the national crap on AM 1000. What's a transplanted flatlander to do? :dunno:

i know exactly how you feel, big ed. I'd listen to the score all summer to and from work. since I worked the night shift, that meant j hood around 11 and saying "morning murph, morning fred" at 7 am....

yes sir...i truly learned to love to hate jabbering the likes of, "the sox trade for freddy garcia, eh? that reminds me of how kerry wood's been hurt all season... boy da cubs have had some injury troubles..."

WhiteSoxFan84
03-12-2005, 04:57 PM
I understand where you guys are going with this but if Stone does talk about the Sox, so what? Do we earn more victories? No.

The Score has really turned into a craphole. If it wasn't for Boers, Bernstein, and J-Hood, I wouldn't listen to it. It sucks.

They can spend all their dough on idiots like Mike North and Rick Telander and they'll still suck.

Where do I go for intelligent, fun, and diversified White Sox talk? www.whitesoxinteractive.com (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/)

Tizzlewizzle
03-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this site and I will admit that I am a Cub fan, but do you really blame the SCORE. They got this guy, Stoney, who was loved by all Cub fans and now still works in Chicago. Why would they not market him to the Cubs, If Hawk for some odd reason quit and became a analyst for SCORE or ESPN do you think they would say hey Cub Fans listen to Hawk for all your baseball needs. It probably wouldnt happen. I hope you guys let me stay here, because I hope to talk real baseball with you guys with real baseball fans (unlike wrigleyville), by the way the name is in inside joke, anyways I hope you guys let me stay here and talk real baseball

Later

Theo

SpammySosa
03-13-2005, 03:38 AM
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this site and I will admit that I am a Cub fan, but do you really blame the SCORE. They got this guy, Stoney, who was loved by all Cub fans and now still works in Chicago. Why would they not market him to the Cubs, If Hawk for some odd reason quit and became a analyst for SCORE or ESPN do you think they would say hey Cub Fans listen to Hawk for all your baseball needs. It probably wouldnt happen. I hope you guys let me stay here, because I hope to talk real baseball with you guys with real baseball fans (unlike wrigleyville), by the way the name is in inside joke, anyways I hope you guys let me stay here and talk real baseball

Later

Theo

I understand your point to an extent but you also have to take the following into consideration:Stone has long been promoted by many(the Score now included)as being "baseball's premiere analyst",not the "Cubs premiere analyst." If such high praise is going to be given to someone,they better be schooled in every team,not just the Cubs.BTW, there are a few commercials they play on the Score right now where they mention Steve Stone providing analysis on both teams,even though Score listeners know that basically isn't true.

LongLiveFisk
03-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Hey guys,

Later

Theo

Well I hope you have some pretty thick skin because you will need it as you read many of the threads here that are anti-Cubs. But, I think there are some WSI members that are Cubs fans (the mods could probably confirm this if it is true) that stay around only by talking baseball and not trolling. So, if that's your plan you will hang around for a while.

I can't emphasize the "thick skin" thing enough, though. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Hey guys,

Later

Theo

First, welcome to the site. We're big enough to support four different boards just for baseball: Sox Clubhouse, Talking Baseball, Minor Observations, and this one (mostly for Lovable Loser talk). We have fans of several different teams who post here and they share insightful thoughts on the message board. However they all have one attribute in common: they don't try to troll Sox Fans. If they did they would get bounced, and probably humiliated too. We have a meat locker filled with dead trolls deep in the basement of the WSI nerve center.

As for Stone, you obviously don't know he pitched for the Sox for several years in the 70's. In fact he was one of the top pitchers on the 1977 South Side Hitmen team that won 90 games. That's two more wins than achieved by those pathetic lumps of **** who won the N.L. Central and choked in the NLCS two years ago. I guarantee you didn't know that.

Only in Chicago would a group of fans think themselves exclusively entitled to a radio show host's point of view... but that's why WSCR's ratings are in the crapper. They think just like you do, and thus piss off a significant portion of their potential listening audience. It's the same way with that complete idiot MediaTroll Murph who lost his day-time gig for being a complete buffoon serving the Kubbie Kool-Aid to the weak-minded and cranially-infirmed.

Sox Fans are smarter than all that. We won't listen and we won't participate in the charade when they invite us to call in. We laugh everytime one of these dolts loses his job or otherwise gets demoted. If Stone is too stupid to figure out he is losing his audience with all this Lovable Loser b.s., he'll pay the price soon enough. Around here we'll be laughing when it happens.

ChiSox14305635
03-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Listened to Stone's Score segment today with Boers & Bernstein. Naturally, again all but one question was about the Cubs, which would be perfectly understandable considering their continuing dilemna with Wood/Prior injuries. But when the lone Sox fan called in to get Stone's opinion of Brandon McCarthy, Stone basically didn't have a clue. The guy has been getting great press from the Chicago papers, and even Gammons has chimed in on his successful spring. Stone said he "would know more after tomorrow", and that even sounded like he was forced to say that because the Sox fan put him on the spot. I don't think he has even set foot anywhere near Tucson to watch a practice, much less a game.

Normally, I would get p'oed about this, but to be honest with you, this was exactly what I expected from him. And so far, he hasn't disappointed me.

DrCrawdad
03-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Listened to Stone's Score segment today with Boers & Bernstein. Naturally, again all but one question was about the Cubs, which would be perfectly understandable considering their continuing dilemna with Wood/Prior injuries. But when the lone Sox fan called in to get Stone's opinion of Brandon McCarthy, Stone basically didn't have a clue. The guy has been getting great press from the Chicago papers, and even Gammons has chimed in on his successful spring. Stone said he "would know more after tomorrow", and that even sounded like he was forced to say that because the Sox fan put him on the spot. I don't think he has even set foot anywhere near Tucson to watch a practice, much less a game.

Normally, I would get p'oed about this, but to be honest with you, this was exactly what I expected from him. And so far, he hasn't disappointed me.

That caller nailed Stone when he asked whether Stone had seen McCarthy pitch. At first Stone dodged the question, but at least he had the stones to admit that he had not seen him pitch. Stone also made it quite clear that he had not observed the Sox yet.

Can you imagine how Cub fans would respond if Hawk Harrleson were hired by the Score and was billed as a baseball expert covering BOTH the Sox and the Cubs? What do you think Cub fans would say if Hawk critiqued the Cubs when it was clear that he hadn't bothered to go see the Cubs?

I bet Cub fans would be blasting the Score and Hawk, just as some Sox fans are doing about Stone.

DrCrawdad
03-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this site and I will admit that I am a Cub fan, but do you really blame the SCORE. They got this guy, Stoney, who was loved by all Cub fans and now still works in Chicago. Why would they not market him to the Cubs, If Hawk for some odd reason quit and became a analyst for SCORE or ESPN do you think they would say hey Cub Fans listen to Hawk for all your baseball needs. It probably wouldn't happen. I hope you guys let me stay here, because I hope to talk real baseball with you guys with real baseball fans (unlike wrigleyville), by the way the name is in inside joke, anyways I hope you guys let me stay here and talk real baseball.

Theo, as others have pointed out Stone was and still is billed as a baseball expert and an expert on both teams. Although lately they've narrowed it a bit with some promos saying Stone was the Score Cubs expert. Of course, that's how Stone should be billed as he's shown only a cursory knowledge of the Sox.

BTW, Welcome aboard!

ChiSox14305635
03-14-2005, 08:47 PM
That caller nailed Stone when he asked whether Stone had seen McCarthy pitch. At first Stone dodged the question, but at least he had the stones to admit that he had not seen him pitch. Stone also made it quite clear that he had not observed the Sox yet.

Can you imagine how Cub fans would respond if Hawk Harrleson were hired by the Score and was billed as a baseball expert covering BOTH the Sox and the Cubs? What do you think Cub fans would say if Hawk critiqued the Cubs when it was clear that he hadn't bothered to go see the Cubs?

I bet Cub fans would be blasting the Score and Hawk, just as some Sox fans are doing about Stone.

But if it were Hawk, I'd think he would give equal press. On most Sox telecasts right now, not one game doesn't go by where Hawk doesn't have some form of praise for an opposing player or manager. Even during the Sox-Cubs interleague series last year at the Cell, he even mentioned that Santo was HOF-worthy (I disagree, but that's just my opinion). Anything Stone has mentioned about the Sox on the score is just stating the obvious in my opinion.

DrCrawdad
03-14-2005, 08:59 PM
But if it were Hawk, I'd think he would give equal press. On most Sox telecasts right now, not one game doesn't go by where Hawk doesn't have some form of praise for an opposing player or manager. Even during the Sox-Cubs interleague series last year at the Cell, he even mentioned that Santo was HOF-worthy (I disagree, but that's just my opinion). Anything Stone has mentioned about the Sox on the score is just stating the obvious in my opinion.

http://www.petitionspot.com/uploads/193-SteveStone.jpg
All I know about the Chicago White Sox I gleaned from the Chicago Cubune.

ChiSox14305635
03-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Also, I haven't heard him say anything new about the Sox, with the exception of saying that like the Cubs, the Sox are trying to win with a new approach geared towards pitching, speed & defense and that the rotation is better now than it was in 2004. Again, thank you Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
03-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Stone won 15 games for the 1977 White Sox team and was a solid contributor in the bullpen in 1973.

Lip

SpammySosa
03-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Stone won 15 games for the 1977 White Sox team and was a solid contributor in the bullpen in 1973.

Lip

That was great in 1973 and 1977,but in 2005 he doesn't know jack about a team he is supposed to be providing "expert baseball analysis" for.

Baby Fisk
03-15-2005, 08:35 AM
When I read the title to this thread, I thought it was going to be similar to the "Ask Farmeo" thread...good times...good times.
I thought the same. :(:

Lip Man 1
03-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Spammy:

I don't know what you're talking about.

My reference was to back up PHG's comments with specifics to the fan who just joined the site.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
03-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Spammy:

I don't know what you're talking about.

My reference was to back up PHG's comments with specifics to the fan who just joined the site.

Lip

I'll boil it down even further for you.

To win you need to outscore the other team.
:nuts:

:wink:

voodoochile
03-15-2005, 02:55 PM
I'll boil it down even further for you.

To win you need to outscore the other team.
:nuts:

:wink:

Hold on... Hold on... this stuff is gold. I need to get a pen and piece of paper...:D: