PDA

View Full Version : The Sox could be in first place as we speak.

captain54
07-26-2001, 02:41 AM
Ive been following Sox and Manuel all season and off the top of my head, can recall at least 4 or 5 games in the first couple of months of the season where Manuel literally cost the Sox with his constant tinkering of the lineup, indecision on who to put in the on a regular basis, and unfamiliararity with his personell...

Add another three games the Sox lost this year due to bad baserunning, mental mistakes, defensive lapses, and general bad fundamental baseball....

Thats 8 games right there that might put us in first place or in the lead in the wild card...

So screw all the injuries.....when is the manager held accountable...?? Yeah Jerry, we know you came back from 15 games, but what happened when we played winning teams?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2001, 10:05 AM
Manuel does deserve a lot of credit for keeping this team together when they were 14-29. That's worthy of respect.

One thing I keep wondering about is the effect the unbalanced schedule is having on this season. We play so many games against our own division it's hard to compare our performance against teams outside our division.

Were we really that bad in April and May or was Minnesota that good? I'm not sure of the answer.

I do know that this year's MLB schedule has teams playing one another for 2 weeks at a time (home and away series) and it makes it real easy to think "this team is hot" or "this team is cold", when in fact it's the opposition that plays a key role.

For example, Minnesota plays a string of games against Seattle and Oakland, and suddenly they're "cold". Gimme a break.

I bet the Sox are 10-15 games over .500 scheduling the Pirates and Reds 15+ times like a certain first-place does.

delben91
07-26-2001, 10:16 AM
Manuel does deserve a lot of credit for keeping this team together when they were 14-29. That's worthy of

I agree with PHG here. Not only did Manuel remain calm and get the team back to .500, but I give him credit for starting most of our younger pitchers out in the bullpen before plugging them into the rotation. When he first did it with Burly last year, I worried that the youngsters would take the move as a display of a lack of confidence in their abilities on Jerry's part. But instead, Mark, Kip, and from his recent outings, Garland are thriving under this system. So I tip my hat to Jerry. He may not be the best out there, in fact he probably isn't, but we could do a lot worse. Remember Bevington??

DC Sox Fan
07-26-2001, 10:20 AM
No question that the flubbies are overrated. If we were in the weakest division in baseball (NL central) we'd be tearing it up even with all our injuries!!!

Chisox353014
07-26-2001, 11:28 AM
No question that the flubbies are overrated. If we were in the weakest division in baseball (NL central) we'd be tearing it up even with all our injuries!!!

We actually did tear up the NL Central: we tied for the best record in interleague play at 12-6. That alone proves that we would be contending if we were in that lousy division. I mean, the Flubs have been swept by Houston, St. Louis and Milwaukee this year and are still leading. Pathetic.