PDA

View Full Version : Streling On Thomas

Lip Man 1
03-04-2005, 04:36 PM
John Sterling, the voice of the Yankees is filling in today on The Sporting News radio network for Tim Brando.

So far he's been pretty candid about the entire steroids situation.

I know the producers there so when I call they usually put me right through without a long wait and I got in right before the break at twenty after. Because we were up against the break things were rushed but I asked John about the whole idea of giving back or returning awards from those who supposedly used steroids. I mentioned Mike Greenwell's comments and added that perhaps no one has been affected more then Frank Thomas by this. I mentioned his goofy 'diminshed skills' clause that would have been removed by winning the MVP and also how future Hall of Fame voters would look at him with three MVP awards.

I wanted to get John's take on this.

His reply stopped me dead for a split second.

'Who says Frank didn't take steroids?'

My reply was 'Frank has long publicly spoken out against steroid users and that's been published in the Chicago papers.

He said well 'back in 1988 and 2000, steroids were not banned by baseball, so there's no way to say who should return awards or not. I just wish none of them used the stuff in the first place.'

Then we had to hit the break.

Anyway he's on for the next few hours until 5PM Chicago time. If you want to get in just call 1-800-777-2907.

Lip

Iwritecode
03-04-2005, 04:41 PM
You could have mentioned that neither his numbers nor his body size have increased dramatically from one season to the next like some other players have...

Lip Man 1
03-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Iwrite:

That's an excellent point. Didn't think of that because everything was rushed. Try calling in and letting him know that.

Lip

Flight #24
03-04-2005, 05:00 PM
You could have mentioned that neither his numbers nor his body size have increased dramatically from one season to the next like some other players have...

You might also point out that IIRC, he was about as big as he is now back in college at Auburn when he played football - and the team was tested for steroids (he passed). So if he DID take them, I hope he kept his receipt because they certainly didn't have the effect on him that we've seen on others!:D:

RKMeibalane
03-04-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't mean to sound like a conspriacy theorist here, but I hope that MLB isn't planning to somehow use Frank as scapegoat for the mistakes his peers have made, especially because he never took steroids. I wouldn't put it past Bud Selig to find a way to cause other players to take the fall so that Bonds, Sheffield, and the other cheaters don't have to pay for what they've done.

Mingo
03-04-2005, 06:10 PM
My impression is that Frank Thomas was on the list to testify because he is anti-steroids and may have suffered in terms of individual awards because of the use by others. Maybe I'm a homer. :D:

idseer
03-04-2005, 06:12 PM
i wonder what the record is for jumping to conclusions?
cause posters here have to be pretty close. :smile:

RKMeibalane
03-04-2005, 06:23 PM
My impression is that Frank Thomas was on the list to testify because he is anti-steroids and may have suffered in terms of individual awards because of the use by others. Maybe I'm a homer. :D:

That's what most of us here think. My earlier post was just speculation, because the MLB has become nothing more than an organization of lying fools.

Ol' No. 2
03-04-2005, 06:30 PM
cause posters here have to be pretty close. :smile:8' 10":tongue:

Lip Man 1
03-04-2005, 07:54 PM
No. 2:

Is that with or without steroids? LOL

Lip

Ol' No. 2
03-04-2005, 10:30 PM
No. 2:

Is that with or without steroids? LOL

LipHaven't you heard? Steroids don't help you jump. Just like they don't help you hit a baseball. (Of course when you do jump or hit a baseball, it goes a hell of a lot farther.)

RichFitztightly
03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
cause posters here have to be pretty close. :smile:

It's a "Jump to Conclusions Mat". You see, you have this mat, with different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.