PDA

View Full Version : Future rotation

veeter
03-04-2005, 10:52 AM
As special as I think this year is going to be, I can't help but envision the future starting staff. Buerhle and Garcia should be mainstays with B-Mac soon to emerge. Contreras and Hernandez I believe are stop gaps until Honel and Tracey are ready. Will they all pan out?, probably not but the Sox are due some prospect luck. Garland is durable but will price himself out unless he "breaks out". So, I like the looks of 1.Buerhle, 2.Garcia, 3.B-Mac, 4.Honel and Garland/ Tracey/ or veteran pick-up. I guess I just like the way Kenny shapes the roster and maps out the future.

Tekijawa
03-04-2005, 10:54 AM
DOn't forget Gio Gonzales... He's the guy that I like the best in the minors right now... Not the best player currently but in a few years he'll be lights out!

Flight #24
03-04-2005, 10:56 AM
As special as I think this year is going to be, I can't help but envision the future starting staff. Buerhle and Garcia should be mainstays with B-Mac soon to emerge. Contreras and Hernandez I believe are stop gaps until Honel and Tracey are ready. Will they all pan out?, probably not but the Sox are due some prospect luck. Garland is durable but will price himself out unless he "breaks out". So, I like the looks of 1.Buerhle, 2.Garcia, 3.B-Mac, 4.Honel and Garland/ Tracey/ or veteran pick-up. I guess I just like the way Kenny shapes the roster and maps out the future.

Also notable is that KW's set the team up with potentially $10-15mil in spending $$$ this offseason (assuming they resign Frank and let Paulie go, or they could resign Paulie instead of hitting the FA market).

Then after 06, will potentially have a ton of $$$ available via Contreras (6), El Duque (4?), Dye (5). Coincidentally, we'l also have BMac, Anderson, Sweeney, Fields due around 06-07, so there'll be some cash available to go get prime time players to fill in any potential holes.

If this team can win this year, factor in a revenue/payroll bump and I think we could move this franchise into "big market" territory. For example, it would not surprise me if the team's in first to see them take on someone else's salary dump at the trade deadline because they'll have the flexibility and revenues to handle it.

Randar68
03-04-2005, 11:06 AM
For example, it would not surprise me if the team's in first to see them take on someone else's salary dump at the trade deadline because they'll have the flexibility and revenues to handle it.

Heard JR on the Score the other day mention the Sox will have money available to work with during the season should Kenny need it. The way he talked about it made it seem like he wasn't talking about a little chump-change to make a minor move with, either...

Flight #24
03-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Heard JR on the Score the other day mention the Sox will have money available to work with during the season should Kenny need it. The way he talked about it made it seem like he wasn't talking about a little chump-change to make a minor move with, either...

It all fits together. If they really want to, they could free up like $25mil by jettisoning Paulie, Frank, Shingo, & Carl - so they certainly have the flexibility to take on some $$$. Of course, no one wants to see Frank go, but it's nice to see KW construct a team that's got some serious potential and still has flexibility.

Randar68
03-04-2005, 11:09 AM

Buehrle (could be with the Cardinals by then, LOL!), Garcia, B-Mac... That's 3.

Tracey I'm not as ready to project into a MLB rotation just yet. Unless Honel is healthy and improved, I don't think you can start putting him in any rotation. Still a lot of question marks.

Whisler and Lumsden are 2 to really keep an eye on this year (in addition to Gonzalez and Liotta). Both have very good stuff with much higher ceilings than Tracey.

Other than BMac, I don't think any of those guys could be ready for starting duty in 2006 (basically 12 months from now).

Patience, grasshoppa.

Baby Fisk
03-04-2005, 11:09 AM
News to warm every Sox fan's heart. :thumbsup: Okay, almost every Sox fan's heart...

Randar68
03-04-2005, 11:10 AM
It all fits together. If they really want to, they could free up like $25mil by jettisoning Paulie, Frank, Shingo, & Carl - so they certainly have the flexibility to take on some $$$. Of course, no one wants to see Frank go, but it's nice to see KW construct a team that's got some serious potential and still has flexibility.

Flexibility is definitely a key and KW I think learned from some of the moves/situations the organization made in his first couple years that sort of hamstrung him for a while...

Flight #24
03-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Flexibility is definitely a key and KW I think learned from some of the moves/situations the organization made in his first couple years that sort of hamstrung him for a while...

Another underrate point the flexibility provides is that they can go out and sign a stopgap player or 2 (or trade for one with a big contract), thus enabling them to keep their top prospects in the minors longer and hopefully improve the chances of them "making it".

gosox41
03-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Another underrate point the flexibility provides is that they can go out and sign a stopgap player or 2 (or trade for one with a big contract), thus enabling them to keep their top prospects in the minors longer and hopefully improve the chances of them "making it".

It's good to see KW start to get 'it'. At least I hope.

Though one has to wonder how different this team would look right now if KW had his way with his first set of plans and had signed Magglio during the season like he wanted. Also, I wonder how much this would have effected his flexibility.

Bob

Man Soo Lee
03-04-2005, 11:53 AM

There are $10.6 million in guaranteed raises for '06. Plus, Pierzynski and Crede might be due raises in arbitration. If they were to buy out Frank and Politte and let Konerko, Shingo, Everett, Davis, and Timo go, they could clear a little over $22 million.

Is less than $12 million bucks enough to replace your two best hitters and your closer?

veeter
03-04-2005, 12:00 PM
When I started this thread I did NOT want to start ridiculous "get rid of Paulie" stuff. Where is that coming from? Let save money on Konerko so we can sign a good player? I'm lost.

Baby Fisk
03-04-2005, 12:05 PM
When I started this thread I did NOT want to start ridiculous "get rid of Paulie" stuff. Where is that coming from? Let save money on Konerko so we can sign a good player? I'm lost.
Lots of people here want to cast PK off without a second thought. I don't get it either. :dunno:

MRKARNO
03-04-2005, 12:41 PM
I believe that we have the rights to the entirety of our rotation as it is now through 2006, so there's probably nothing to worry about until then. Maybe you trade one of them to free up a spot for McCarthy, but we could have McCarthy, Garcia and Buehrle in our rotation until 2007.

Flight #24
03-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Lots of people here want to cast PK off without a second thought. I don't get it either. :dunno:

Let me be clear: I wasn't suggesting/advocating that they let Paulie and/or Frank go. Just pointing out that they will have a lot of options with how to take the team after the season (and again after 2006).

For the record, I think they should resign/extend Frank, and then see who's an FA or available via trade and whether or not they're significantly better than Paulie. IMO he's a good player, but not a great one.

owensmouth
03-04-2005, 02:34 PM
KW got burned by Ordonez this year. No draft pick, no replacements for one of the best hitters in baseball. It will not happen with Garland and Buehrle. Depending on how the Sox do in the first half of the year, both could be gone by mid year. Neither will be around next year, replaced by McCarthy and whoever comes in a trade.

DaleJRFan
03-04-2005, 02:42 PM

not to get off the pitching topic, but this is one area that I think KW does a fine job with, at least recently rotation-wise and like with the outfield. Pods and Dye are here for 2 years each, exactly when Sweeney and Anderson will come up. ARow's gunna be here a while and hopefully Borchard goes away.

I really like the Sox future rotation. How completely awesome would it be for the Sox to have their own "Big Three" guys in the rotation like the Zito/Mulder/Hudson... to have them come up together through the ranks and pitch together in the Bigs.. and not too long ago there was an article on mlb.com about McCarthy, Honel and Tracey. All about how they are/were roommates and always talk about how great it would be to move up to the Bigs all together and to complete a "Youth Infusion" in the rotation with Freddy and Buerhle.

Flight #24
03-04-2005, 02:44 PM
KW got burned by Ordonez this year. No draft pick, no replacements for one of the best hitters in baseball. It will not happen with Garland and Buehrle. Depending on how the Sox do in the first half of the year, both could be gone by mid year. Neither will be around next year, replaced by McCarthy and whoever comes in a trade.

Not to nitpick, but it's highly unlikely that there'd be another Maggs scenario. The Sox would have gotten comp picks had his whole "mysterious knee that no one can see" situation come up. Unless they expect something like that to come up again with Buehrle/Garland, they can always hold onto them and let them go for picks if they can't resign them. They won't lose them for nothing.

DaleJRFan
03-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Not to nitpick, but it's highly unlikely that there'd be another Maggs scenario. The Sox would have gotten comp picks had his whole "mysterious knee that no one can see" situation come up. Unless they expect something like that to come up again with Buehrle/Garland, they can always hold onto them and let them go for picks if they can't resign them. They won't lose them for nothing.

Isn't Garland signed though 2007 and Buerhle through 2008 anyway? I don't see Buerhle going anywhere any time soon.

veeter
03-04-2005, 04:20 PM
KW got burned by Ordonez this year. No draft pick, no replacements for one of the best hitters in baseball. It will not happen with Garland and Buehrle. Depending on how the Sox do in the first half of the year, both could be gone by mid year. Neither will be around next year, replaced by McCarthy and whoever comes in a trade. With all due respect, are you out of your mind?

guillen4life13
03-04-2005, 06:00 PM

Paul is an extremely streaky hitter. See end 2002 through 2003.

Ol' No. 2
03-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Paul is an extremely streaky hitter. See end 2002 through 2003.I think you'll find power hitters are almost all streaky.

MRKARNO
03-05-2005, 12:39 AM

:chickenlittle