PDA

View Full Version : Let's stop the madness... NOW!

Realist
03-04-2005, 07:55 AM
It's already happening. People are seeing the first or second day of play from Sox players and they're already busting out the "chicken little" routine. This is "Spring Training" that's going on right now. There's only a few infield postion players and maybe a couple of relief pitchers that are fighting for an actual spot on the Sox 25 man roster. Everybody else is either working on brand new tactics, or is trying to tighten up aspects of their game that may be considered a little lacking, or just trying to get into game playing shape and ready for the regular season.

One thing we should all know by now is that Spring Training statistics more often than not don't mean jack squat when it comes to the real season. I believe that Schoenweiss and Shingo proved that last year as well as Konerko in the spring of 2003. A player can hit .600 all spring and be a .215 hitter in the regular season and vice versa. The same holds true for pitchers and their stats. These folks are working on different things and swinging at or making pitches during Spring training that they would never ever think of doing during the regular season. That's one of the main reasons for even having Spring Training. They're working on new things or are working out the kinks from the winter lay off.

We have no way in hell of knowing what the Sox coaching staff has instructed these players to work on so there's no way in hell that we should be pretending to know whether they are failing or succeeding. All we can do is appreciate that our boys are once again on the field and working hard to get ready for opening day. Baseball may be back and for that we should be thankful, but we should not be expecting our players to be "regular season" ready this week, or next week, or even the week after next.

Enjoy every strike out by the Sox pitching staff this spring, but don't make too much about it. Enjoy every home run or stolen base by the Sox hitters this spring, but don't make too much about it. We don't have to enjoy when a Sox pitcher or one of their prospect pitchers gets shelled or walks a few guys this spring, but we certainly shouldn't make too much about it just yet, and we don't have to enjoy it when a Sox batter strikes out or makes an easy out this spring, but again, we shouldn't make too much about it.

Everybody starts with a clean slate on opening day and there's a damn good reason for that. This is Spring Training.

Spicoli
03-04-2005, 07:59 AM
In past years, the Sox have done great in Spring Training, only to falter during the course of the actual season. I hope they play .500 during Spring so they get a taste of victory, but don't use up all their 'mojo' so to speak, on games that don't matter.

Clembasbal
03-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Thank you for speaking out. REalist, you are my hero.

I think that the only part of the games that really matter during spring training are the first three or four innings of the last three or four games. That is when you see the players in their game form. But it still isn't the entire game and it is only the last few.

I am not worried, having been down to spring training I see the players joking a ton, having fun, talking with the rookies/minor leaguers, going out to the bars after the games/practices and doing split activites even while the game is going on.

rwcescato
03-04-2005, 10:25 AM
In past years, the Sox have done great in Spring Training, only to falter during the course of the actual season. I hope they play .500 during Spring so they get a taste of victory, but don't use up all their 'mojo' so to speak, on games that don't matter.

Ther 1st half of ST games are only used to get some work in. Pitchers only go 1 or 2 innings and the regulars get 1 or 2 ABs. So wins and losses don't matter at all. But after St. Paddys day I believe the team needs to start winning games. The winning part then becomes something that you get used to going into the season. The main thing is the players all get their work in and nobody gets hurt.
Rich

Risk
03-04-2005, 10:57 AM
I agree. It's only been 2 meaningless spring training games. Some people need to get a grip and realize that the roster is pretty much set with the exception of one, possibly two spots.

Risk

Dan H
03-04-2005, 11:07 AM
The only time I worry about spring training is when chronic problems keep re-occurring. Other than that, getting upset about the first two games in March is a waste of time. Let's see where the team is the first week of May before any panic sets in.

Iguana775
03-04-2005, 11:09 AM
You mean this isnt true??!! :chickenlittle

lol. I agree. It is so annoying
:threadrules:

Baby Fisk
03-04-2005, 11:42 AM
In the chatroom during the D-Backs game, we were predicting mayhem in the Clubhouse if the Sox lost 2 in a row. Easiest prediction of the year.
Realist, thanks for being such a... realist. :cheers:

JKryl
03-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Any manager that doesn't put in his minor leaguers to see how they play isn't doing them justice. Also, any major leaguer who doesn't experiment in ST isn't using his time well. Wait a couple of weeks, and then panic.

AJPosguchi
03-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Interesting Article here: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=1968962I'm glad Ozzie has recognized this last year in time to make the changes - Its gonna be an exciting year!

Banix12
03-05-2005, 05:57 AM
I mentioned this on another thread somewhere... The teams that do the best in spring training are the teams that have a lot of holes in their lineups and a lot of competition for major league spots. So I fully expect the Sox to stink up the joint most of this spring training because the roster is mostly set with the exception of the backup infield position. Spring training statistics have close to no bearing on what will happen in the season. Spring training standings have absolutely no bearing on what will happen in the season. In fact it is the worst method of picking division winners.

Enjoy the spring. Enjoy that baseball is coming back for the year. Enjoy that you're finally getting a close look at those minor leaguers you hear so much about. But remember that all this is basically meaningless.

Frankly I have the most fun watching those games on ESPN in the afternoon and seeing old sox players I recognize. It was so strange watching Kelly Wunsch and Jose Valentin playing for the Dodgers yesterday.

MUsoxfan
03-05-2005, 06:04 AM
It sickens me that we're talking about Spring Training failiures. Seriously, we're all big enough baseball fans to know that these games are meaningless. It would actually worry me if Contreras and El Duque were throwing their best stuff right now. I'm more concerned about the batters, and it seems that they are A-OK

eastchicagosoxfan
03-05-2005, 06:09 AM
I mentioned this on another thread somewhere... The teams that do the best in spring training are the teams that have a lot of holes in their lineups and a lot of competition for major league spots. So I fully expect the Sox to stink up the joint most of this spring training because the roster is mostly set with the exception of the backup infield position. Spring training statistics have close to no bearing on what will happen in the season. Spring training standings have absolutely no bearing on what will happen in the season. In fact it is the worst method of picking division winners.

Enjoy the spring. Enjoy that baseball is coming back for the year. Enjoy that you're finally getting a close look at those minor leaguers you hear so much about. But remember that all this is basically meaningless.

Frankly I have the most fun watching those games on ESPN in the afternoon and seeing old sox players I recognize. It was so strange watching Kelly Wunsch and Jose Valentin playing for the Dodgers yesterday.
I couldn't agree more. I just want the pitchers to throw strikes, and to show some good location. I like spring training to see what the young guys have to offer,, although only one may make this team. I wish there were a couple of spots open so a young kid could earn a trip north with exceptional play.

SoxWillWin
03-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Well there's no sense in beating a dead horse either way. YES it's spring training and we don't need to concern ourselves if the sox look like crud. Hell to be honest after being a sox fan for so long you get used to them looking like crud. It's what happens in April that matters.