PDA

View Full Version : It's not just Cubs fans...

FightingBillini
03-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Today I was at work when a dude came in wearing a Sox hat. One of my coworkers said "Yeah, White Sox! That finishing in second is gonna stop this year." I thought that it ws cool, I have someone to talk baseball with. He then said "We are gonna suck this year. We had a horrible offseason." I started talking with him, and I realized that he knew NOTHING about baseball. He was about as bad as a Cubs fan. Here are some of the highlights of our conversation, all his comments:

-The Sox had a horrible offseason, they lost ALL of their good players
-The Sox wont score any runs because they lost 70% of their homers from last year
- Valentin hit 35 homers last year, Lee hit 45, and and Maggs hit 25 in only 50 games
-Thomas wont play at all this year
-This will definately be Frank's last year with the Sox because he has an option next year worth $15mil, with a $2mil buyout
-Magglio is the best outfielder in baseball, his career average is .330
-Magglio is way better than Frank, Magglio made the AS team 8 times, and Frank only made it twice
- The Sox went cheap this offseason and cut lots of payroll - when I told him that payroll is up to $73mil from $63mil last opening day, he told me payroll was $105mil last year
-Konerko will DEFINATELY be gone next year. They wont pay him because he is the best first baseman in baseball
-Todd Helton is overrated, he has no power and never has gotten 100 RBIs
-Jerry Manuel was fired in the middle of September in 03, but he finished the season. The next game he physically attacked Garland on the mound
-The Sox were down by 20 games in 03, and came back to lead before blowing it
-the AL Central is the best division in baseball
-the Tigers improved the most, and they have the best pitching staff in ALC
-the Indians have great pitching too, better than the Sox
-the Sox will probably lose 100 games this year
-Shingo blew 10 games last year - in one of them, he walked 5 straight batters
-Roger Clemens sucked with the Blue Jays, he didnt win a Cy Young there
-Albert Belle admitted he took steroids

And it didn't stop at baseball...
-Illinois has the worst RPI in division 1A
-Illinois has the worst recruiting class in the entire NCAA this year, even Chicago State had a better class
-Webber will probably be fired next year because he cant recruit and the Illini will be in last place next year
-Michigan State went to 4 straight final fours from 99-02

Clearly, none of these things are even close to reality. I know he isnt a Flub fan, because we were talking about how much the Cubs suck and how much we hate them. I only hope that he never tries to win baseball arguements with Flub fans, he will make them look smart.

Ol' No. 2
03-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Today I was at work when a dude came in wearing a Sox hat. One of my coworkers said "Yeah, White Sox! That finishing in second is gonna stop this year." I thought that it ws cool, I have someone to talk baseball with. He then said "We are gonna suck this year. We had a horrible offseason." I started talking with him, and I realized that he knew NOTHING about baseball. He was about as bad as a Cubs fan. Here are some of the highlights of our conversation, all his comments:

-The Sox had a horrible offseason, they lost ALL of their good players
-The Sox wont score any runs because they lost 70% of their homers from last year
- Valentin hit 35 homers last year, Lee hit 45, and and Maggs hit 25 in only 50 games
-Thomas wont play at all this year
-This will definately be Frank's last year with the Sox because he has an option next year worth $15mil, with a $2mil buyout
-Magglio is the best outfielder in baseball, his career average is .330
-Magglio is way better than Frank, Magglio made the AS team 8 times, and Frank only made it twice
- The Sox went cheap this offseason and cut lots of payroll - when I told him that payroll is up to $73mil from $63mil last opening day, he told me payroll was $105mil last year
-Konerko will DEFINATELY be gone next year. They wont pay him because he is the best first baseman in baseball
-Todd Helton is overrated, he has no power and never has gotten 100 RBIs
-Jerry Manuel was fired in the middle of September in 03, but he finished the season. The next game he physically attacked Garland on the mound
-The Sox were down by 20 games in 03, and came back to lead before blowing it
-the AL Central is the best division in baseball
-the Tigers improved the most, and they have the best pitching staff in ALC
-the Indians have great pitching too, better than the Sox
-the Sox will probably lose 100 games this year
-Shingo blew 10 games last year - in one of them, he walked 5 straight batters
-Roger Clemens sucked with the Blue Jays, he didnt win a Cy Young there
-Albert Belle admitted he took steroids

And it didn't stop at baseball...
-Illinois has the worst RPI in division 1A
-Illinois has the worst recruiting class in the entire NCAA this year, even Chicago State had a better class
-Webber will probably be fired next year because he cant recruit and the Illini will be in last place next year

Clearly, none of these things are even close to reality. I know he isnt a Flub fan, because we were talking about how much the Cubs suck and how much we hate them. I only hope that he never tries to win baseball arguements with Flub fans, he will make them look smart.So I take it this guy writes for ESPN?:tongue:

Uncle_Patrick
03-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately, every team has its share of idiots that call themselves "fans". You should have taken his Sox hat away and said "You can have this back when you learn a thing or two about this team."

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Well, outside of this site, it's pretty hard to find solid white sox information. I mean, if you only read ESPN.com, you'd be under the impression that the white sox let MVP Magglio Ordonez walk and then traded Carlos Lee for "only" Scott Podsednik. I can understand having the idea that the White Sox cut payroll, because most of the media ignored what the white sox did this offseason, but some of those numbers he mentioned were absolutely brutal.

FightingBillini
03-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Unfortunately, every team has its share of idiots that call themselves "fans". You should have taken his Sox hat away and said "You can have this back when you learn a thing or two about this team."

The customer was the one wearing the Sox hat. The funniest part was when he argued with me that we lost 70% of our homers from last year. He insisted that Maggs his 25 and Uribe hit 9.

Uncle_Patrick
03-03-2005, 10:28 PM

I wish I saw that game.

BBaum21
03-03-2005, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=FightingBillini]
/QUOTE]

If you ever see that guy again, please set him straight if need be. As a soon-to-be alum of Michigan State, I know Michigan State went to three consecutive Final Fours from 1999-2001. I hope you set him straight.

Foulke29
03-03-2005, 10:41 PM
So I take it this guy writes for ESPN?:tongue:

Sounds more like a Tribune writer to me.

gobears1987
03-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Well, outside of this site, it's pretty hard to find solid white sox information. I mean, if you only read ESPN.com, you'd be under the impression that the white sox let MVP Magglio Ordonez walk and then traded Carlos Lee for "only" Scott Podsednik. I can understand having the idea that the White Sox cut payroll, because most of the media ignored what the white sox did this offseason, but some of those numbers he mentioned were absolutely brutal.
Sadly you are 100% right here. This guy has been brainwashed by the Cubune and other sources.

FightingBillini
03-03-2005, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=FightingBillini]
/QUOTE]

If you ever see that guy again, please set him straight if need be. As a soon-to-be alum of Michigan State, I know Michigan State went to three consecutive Final Fours from 1999-2001. I hope you set him straight.

Ok, I will tell him. I forgot to mention, they won two titles during that span, and lost to Kansas in the other game.

SOXPHILE
03-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Like Uncle Patrick said, every team in every sport has it's share of morons, who call themselves fans of said team, yet know very little about them, or in many cases, the sport they play. Alot of times they just think it makes them look cool, or hip to wear a hat, jersey, sweatshirt, jacket, etc. of that team, even though they know nothing about them. It's just that the Cubs have WAY more than the normal amount, and these "fans" are alot more conceited, have more of a sense of entitlement, or like to think that they are more hip & in with the in crowd, just by wearing the required backwards Cub hat & Wrigley Field Bleachers sweatshirt.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Like Uncle Patrick said, every team in every sport has it's share of morons...
Did someone say morons?
http://sf.indymedia.org/uploads/morans.jpgmf3937.jpg

Cubbiesuck13
03-03-2005, 11:09 PM
I run into the ignorant sport fan more and more when I see a Bears jersey or hat or whatnot. Most are A. not from Chicago but root for the Cubs as well because of WGN so naturally they root for the Bears. or B. From Chicago but also root for the Cubs or C. the 'C' was the first letter they learned (no kidding the guy was from Michigan and was a "huge Bear fan" knew absolutly nothing about the sport or the team.

samram
03-03-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm just at a loss to understand how someone can be that ill informed, unless it's intentional, or one's sources mislead them (I'm looking at you, Rob Neyer). On the other hand, if anyone here decides to start a cult, this guy would follow your every order, no questions asked.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-03-2005, 11:21 PM
OK, I got an idea. Maybe he's just a WSI user and was talking in teal, pretending to to use all the crap we've heard from the media this year. :wink:

MIgrenade
03-03-2005, 11:32 PM
I have property...lots of property....in odd places of the world.

Whitesox029
03-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Yeah I have one friend who has a similar attitude toward the Sox this season. The pessimism is just depressing. I know he's registered here but hasn't posted in a while. If he sees this he'll know I'm talking about him. :D: But honestly anyone who thinks this was a bad offseason hasn't been paying enough attention the last 4 years to realize that speed defense and pitching are the way to go.

fusillirob1983
03-04-2005, 12:49 AM
I can't believe someone as dumb as that guy would continue in a conversation like that. I'd think at some point they'd just learn to shut up.

FightingBillini
03-04-2005, 01:02 AM
I can't believe someone as dumb as that guy would continue in a conversation like that. I'd think at some point they'd just learn to shut up.

Yeah, when he told me that Chicago State had a better recruiting class than us I laughed out loud.

fusillirob1983
03-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Yeah, when he told me that Chicago State had a better recruiting class than us I laughed out loud.

Wow, that's bad when that wasn't even a highlight of the conversation.

FightingBillini
03-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Wow, that's bad when that wasn't even a highlight of the conversation.
There was so much lunacy spewing from his mouth that I forgot to mention a few of the things.:cool: I mean, I at least expected us to have a better class than Savannah State, seeing as they went winless and have no coach. I didn't realize how bad Webber was.

Clembasbal
03-04-2005, 09:42 AM
I am amazed that you kept talking to him after he kept barfing up all of that crap. He is what I call "A depressed Chicagoian" He watches the NBC sportscast once a week and knows a ton about sports.

He is better off just admitting he is a computer geek and plays with dolls.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2005, 12:06 PM
For the first time in many years I honestly don't know what to expect out of this team.

I think they are either going to be very good (90+ wins) or very bad (75 wins) unlike the past seven years I don't see mediocrity in their future.

They have begun a radical make over and you just don't know how it's going to play out.

For the record I agreed with the change. After four years of station to station, 250 home runs per year baseball which accomplished virtually nothing, they had to do something.

All we can do is wait and see.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
03-04-2005, 12:21 PM

:)

JGarlandrules20
03-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Kind of off topic... but has anyone ever run into someone that says they're a sox fan but couldnt tell you anything about the team. Basically, they only say their a fan because the sox arent "cool" like the Cubs. I know a few and they annoy me. Just say you aren't a baseball fan!:mad:

Baby Fisk
03-04-2005, 12:23 PM
A mental hospital in your area just noticed they are one patient short.

Foulke You
03-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Wow, you held out a lot longer in that converasation than I could have FightingBillini. He could just be a BS-er in all forms of conversation. I've known some people like that...they are totally insecure blowhards so they need to make it sound like they know everything and are right about everything, even if they have no knowledge on the subject. Even when you correct them, they still maintain that they are right.

Fighting Billini, are you sure he wasn't a Cub fan incognito? You know...one of those Cub fans who is "fed up" with the team and supposedly switched allegiances to the Sox but would be back on the Cubbie bandwagon as soon as there was something to latch on to? I remember a few of them coming out of the woodwork with crisp new Sox hats when we went to the playoffs in 2000 only to promptly return to the Cubs in their "magical" 2001 run.

FightingBillini
03-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Wow, you held out a lot longer in that converasation than I could have FightingBillini. He could just be a BS-er in all forms of conversation. I've known some people like that...they are totally insecure blowhards so they need to make it sound like they know everything and are right about everything, even if they have no knowledge on the subject. Even when you correct them, they still maintain that they are right.

Fighting Billini, are you sure he wasn't a Cub fan incognito? You know...one of those Cub fans who is "fed up" with the team and supposedly switched allegiances to the Sox but would be back on the Cubbie bandwagon as soon as there was something to latch on to? I remember a few of them coming out of the woodwork with crisp new Sox hats when we went to the playoffs in 2000 only to promptly return to the Cubs in their "magical" 2001 run.

I was working with they guy, so I couldnt just up and leave. Besides that, it was marginally entertaining just hearing all the BS he came up with.

veeter
03-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Like Crash Davis who hates when people get the words wrong in a song, I hate when people spew out incorrect stats and supposed facts. Sadly I think 90% of "fans" do this. The other 10% are on this site. Most people are casual fans and don't pay close attention and then recite what they thought they read or heard. I just nod my head and walk away.

Uncle_Patrick
03-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Kind of off topic... but has anyone ever run into someone that says they're a sox fan but couldnt tell you anything about the team. Basically, they only say their a fan because the sox arent "cool" like the Cubs. I know a few and they annoy me. Just say you aren't a baseball fan!:mad:

I've met some people like this. They are usually "Anti-Cubs" fans more than Sox fans. Its like they want to piss off a relative half the time.

Spicoli
03-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Though it is evident that this guy is not a reliable source, to say the least, it did remind me about this article on CBSSportsline about Weber's lack of recruiting power (sorry for the non-Sox/baseball item):

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8243060

ChiSox14305635
03-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Though it is evident that this guy is not a reliable source, to say the least, it did remind me about this article on CBSSportsline about Weber's lack of recruiting power (sorry for the non-Sox/baseball item):

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8243060

I remember that article. Boers and Bernstein ripped that guy to shreds on the Score that day.

hosieryofthegods
03-05-2005, 05:38 AM
That's a pretty funny article. He talked about this guy and this guy are ranked in the top 100, but they aren't going to Illinois. In the next to last paragraph, he talks about the guys that are going to Illinois, and how they're in the top 150. Then downgrades them, by saying that rankings are always on the mark.

Question. If ranking isn't always on the mark for Illinois, why is it for all the other teams?:?: