PDA

View Full Version : So what other teams you rootin for?

CubsfansareDRUNK
03-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Hey everybody, this year i'm gunna follow the sox, watch every game, and know the stats like i do every year. But i always follow the cardinals along with them. I'm gettin kinda sick of the cards and i think im gunna go a different path this year, probably root for the Nationals. I asked my dad about a whole bunch of teams but i'm probably gunna follow the mets too. My dad for some reason wanted to follow a "winning team" last year so he went for the yankees. I thought the man was crazy. I know alot of responses are gunna be "all of them", but i'd like to know who you are mainly focusing on this year. Last year when the cardinals were going really far, all the loser cubs fans converted, and all of the sudden they all said "Yea...i've been a cardinals fan all my life?!?" Anywho, sorry if this thread is getting too long.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Any team playing the Twins, but that goes for all of the AL Central teams as well. It's tricky when the AL central plays the AL central, so when that happens, I'll root for the team lower in the standings.
Any team playing the Cubs.
The Marlins because I have 3 players from their team on my WSI fantasy squad...

SOXPHILE
03-03-2005, 09:50 PM
CARDINALS. Besides the Sox, always have liked, followed & rooted for, and it actually had/has nothing to do with being the Cubs "arch-enemy". The fact that they are, makes it even more fun to rub it in Cub/Wrigley Field fans faces, and more ways to annoy them.

Chisox003
03-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Gotta give some love to the Brew-Crew....Especially now with El Caballo, and their annual 19 games with the flubbers :wink:

I used to follow the Cards also, but once teams start getting national attention like they did last year, I try to move on...So go BREWERS!!

MiamiSpartan
03-03-2005, 10:04 PM
My two favorite teams are th Sox and the Marlins. I also will probably follow Washington, just because they are new to the market. I usually keep track of Seattle, & San Fran, too...

HebrewHammer
03-03-2005, 10:06 PM
I've always been a proud member of the Sox/Cards alliance. Two years ago I was living in LA and started following the Dodgers. I may have to start checking Brewers box scores to see how El Caballo is doing.

samram
03-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Dodgers and Marlins.

MIgrenade
03-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Marlins because they beat the Braves in 1997. I don't remember why I cared then but I deffinitely care now.

SomebodyToldMe
03-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Used to be the O's. But not anymore.

Brian26
03-03-2005, 10:48 PM
I'll always have a softspot in my heart for the Fightin' Fish.

MUsoxfan
03-03-2005, 11:12 PM
I've always had a special place in my heart for the Brewers (since the Molitor/Yount days). They're my favorite NL team.

jake27
03-03-2005, 11:42 PM
i love the brewers. i also like the cardinals, reds, and the expos when they were a real team

FightingBillini
03-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I used to follow the Cards also, but once teams start getting national attention like they did last year, I try to move on...So go BREWERS!!

Im sure that whole "winning 105 games" thing had nothing to do with that attention.:cool: Its one thing to be pissed when Boston Gammons pleasures himself to the third place Indians daily on Baseball Tonight, but the Cards deserved the attention.

As for me, I love all of the teams in the NL Central accept the one wearing royal blue. I have always been big on the Pirates and Reds. I started following the Cards a few years back. I hated Houston in the late ninties, and I always hated Roger Clemens. For some reason, put them both together, and I am a fan of both now. I got interested in the Brewers around midseason last year, and I will pay a lot more attention to them this season now that El Caballo is lumbering around left field.

The Racehorse
03-04-2005, 02:48 AM
What other teams will I be rootin' for? Answer: None.

I'll be going to plenty of games in D.C., but I'm not going to root for them in the sense that I'll feel crappy if they lose.

I've been a Sox fan when my DNA genealogically came into existence... I'm not sure if that makes since, but I'll go as far back as my family tree will go to make my point.

:)

delben91
03-04-2005, 08:05 AM
What other teams will I be rootin' for? Answer: None.

I'll be going to plenty of games in D.C., but I'm not going to root for them in the sense that I'll feel crappy if they lose.

That sounds a lot like my take on "other teams". I'll "follow" the Nationals just because DC is my hometown and the fact that there's a team there again is awesome. I hope to make it down to a game at some point this season as well, but time will tell. I won't feel bad it they lose, but I'll watch with interest.

wdelaney72
03-04-2005, 08:08 AM
I'm going to get drilled for this, but I silently cheer for the Cubs. I know many of you yahoos think Sox fans have to hate the Cubs, but I don't buy into that. I don't like their fans and I don't like their ballpark atmosphere, but their uniform says "Chicago", so I wish them well.

Clembasbal
03-04-2005, 08:46 AM
I don't wish success for other teams either, but I have always been a fan of Baltimore. I think that I am more interested in them now that they got Sosa, as much as I hate that walking steriod fluid piece of crap...I would love to see him hit 50 bombs and beat the Red Sox and Yankees (two of the three AL teams I hate the most). Of course they must lose to the WHite Sox in the playoffs though. I don't wanna see them win anything more than the Sox.

Baby Fisk
03-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Mets & Black Jays :rolleyes:

[*long, pathetic sigh*]

Hangar18
03-04-2005, 09:02 AM
I don't wish success for other teams either, but I have always been a fan of Baltimore.

I always kind of liked them when I was younger ....... but then they
changed their Distinct, Unique and ultimately very Recognizable Hat
for a Dull, Bland and Ornitholigically Incorrect pigeon on the hat instead.
Dumb move. At a time when Corporations and Sports teams fight
for an Identity, This team had one of the most Distinct logos in ALL SPORTS.
Yet .........The fact they continue to wear this brutally ugly hat amazes me.

DC Sox Fan
03-04-2005, 09:13 AM
I think most people here know I will be cheering for the Nats. I might get disappointed when they lose (and they WILL lose!) but nowhere near what I feel for the Sox.

Hangar- I believe the O's had those hats a looooooong time ago, then went to the "Duck" hat. I prefered that one, too. Then they brought these ones back.

Palehose13
03-04-2005, 09:27 AM
I'm going to get drilled for this, but I silently cheer for the Cubs. I know many of you yahoos think Sox fans have to hate the Cubs, but I don't buy into that. I don't like their fans and I don't like their ballpark atmosphere, but their uniform says "Chicago", so I wish them well.

*sigh*

It was nice knowing you. Now you must hand over your membership card.

As far as other teams, the Brewers, of course...unless cheering for them would in any way would harm the Sox. And I always cheer for whoever is playing the scrubs.

Clembasbal
03-04-2005, 09:47 AM

I am going to agree that the cartoon Oriole was way better than their hats that they have now, but they are similar to their original logo. When the started they had an oriole on their hat, only about 10 years later did they change into that "very recognizable hat" Link (http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?l_id=4&t_id=52)

But I agree, they need to go back. That logo is lameo.

RKMeibalane
03-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Oakland Athletics

jackbrohamer
03-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Giants were always my 2d favorite team; if Barry Bonds breaks his leg or gets suspended for steroid use maybe I can start pulling for them again. I Like the Brewers too but they've been so bad for so long what's the point in pulling for them?

Hangar18
03-04-2005, 09:57 AM
I root for the Cardinals and Astros though, as theyre success is a
detriment to the cubs, and anything detrimental that happens to the
cubs, is good for the Sox and Sox Fans, for some crazy reason
the Chicago Media only knows about.
The Astros have very nice uniforms by the way.

CHISOXFAN13
03-04-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm with a good number of fellow posters in being a closet Brewers fan.

Baby Fisk
03-04-2005, 10:33 AM
I can't believe you of all people like the kiddie cartoon Oriole caps, Hangar. It's little league!

Besides, how many cartoon characters can you have on one team?

:shammy
"That's not a limousine! Where's my limousine?!"

veeter
03-04-2005, 10:56 AM
I will always love the Marlins for 2003. I too am a closet Brewer fan.

AZChiSoxFan
03-04-2005, 11:08 AM

Isn't their current hat a throwback to a very similar hat they wore in the 50's or 60's? I may be totally wrong about that, but I thought that was correct. Little help from one of our older...er....more mature fans please?

Iwritecode
03-04-2005, 11:10 AM
The Rockford Riverhawks.

They're defending champs ya know... :cool:

Baby Fisk
03-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Isn't their current hat a throwback to a very similar hat they wore in the 50's or 60's? I may be totally wrong about that, but I thought that was correct. Little help from one of our older...er....more mature fans please?
You are correct. Here's some Orioles caps from the past: linky. (http://www.dugout-memories.com/balori.html)

AZChiSoxFan
03-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Hangar- I believe the O's had those hats a looooooong time ago, then went to the "Duck" hat. I prefered that one, too. Then they brought these ones back.

My apologies to DC and Clembasbal. I failed to see that both of you had already posted regarding the old O's hat.

AZChiSoxFan
03-04-2005, 11:16 AM
You are correct. Here's some Orioles caps from the past: linky. (http://www.dugout-memories.com/balori.html)

Thanks for the info. I like their hat from 1963, with just the "B" on it.

FedEx227
03-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Tampa Bay Devil Rays

for the past 4-5 years I've just followed them for reasons I don't even know. 2 years ago went to see the Sox play the D-Rays in St. Pete (the game where Frank decided he didn't want to slide and just kinda bumped into Toby Hall killing a rally), and I will be going to the entire D-Rays/Sox series at the Cell this year.

Something about them, maybe the fact that they are massive underdogs is why I liked them in the first place, but now that they are getting some rare-good talent their fun to watch Gathright, Upton, Baldelli, Young, and Kazmir are all going to be great players.

JGarlandrules20
03-04-2005, 11:29 AM
I pull for the Mariners and Marlins.

NonetheLoaiza
03-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Pittsburgh Pirates. I've got grandparents that live out there, and I have been raised a secondary Steelers and Pirates fan.

AZChiSoxFan
03-04-2005, 11:45 AM
The D-Backs are my favorite NL team. The addition of Royce Clayton this year is really going to make them a great team!!

Church Turtle
03-04-2005, 12:01 PM
With a screen name like Church Turtle a guy's gotta follow the friars, man. Only team I'll pay much atention to in the NL. Go SOX!

The Critic
03-04-2005, 12:03 PM
I like the Cardinals, Brewers and A's.

Clembasbal
03-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Well, I think that I should root for the Bucos because Lloyd McClendon did go to Valpo...but I just can't get myself to root for them. I do think they are going to surprise some people though.

winning ugly 72
03-04-2005, 12:59 PM
i root for the cardnials as my other team. i have 2 baseball hats i wear one is of course a sox hat the other is a cardnials hat i get a lot of comments from cub fans when they see me wearing a cards hat. i just laugh at them

whitesoxwilkes
03-04-2005, 02:50 PM
I'll root for the Yankees and Brewers. Also follow the Mariners and Dodgers pretty closely.

gobears1987
03-04-2005, 09:46 PM
I'll be rooting for the 15 NL teams not named the Chicago Cubs.

hose
03-04-2005, 10:12 PM
I will root for the Yankees.

As much as I dislike the Twins/Indians/Tigers/Royals I would still root for them over the NL team if they ever made it to a WS.

PAPChiSox729
03-04-2005, 10:15 PM
I root for the Cardinals. And not just because they are the Cubs' main rival, but I've also come to be a big Albert Pujols fan. I also plan on following the A's closely this season (though I'm not exactly rooting for them). I am curious to see how that revamped starting staff turns out.

balke
03-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Cards cause of pujols, mulder, and Larry Walker. I've grown up a big Rockies fan unfortunately... so yeah I guess them. They're going to be so baad.

I'm rooting for Pettite, and Lidge... so I guess the astros a little.

And then I guess Angels, devil rays, seattle, and diamondbacks? I just want to see how the diamondbacks do.

I might root a little for the braves... dunno yet. And who else... oh yeah US! WHOO HOO!

eastchicagosoxfan
03-05-2005, 11:13 AM
The Cardinals. They don't like the Cubs either. I don't root for any AL teams, until the World Series. I'll root for the Astros too. I've got nothing against the Brewers, so I'll root for them. The Pirates have plenty of history and tradition, so I pull for them too.

dcb33
03-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Philadelphia Phillies, but they (along with the Brewers) need to bring back their uniforms from the 80's.

I also like the Cardinals, Brewers, Marlins, and Padres.

HomeFish
03-05-2005, 11:56 AM
I think there is two different levels of "rooting", three, actually. One is, of course, the feeling I have for the White Sox, one that is so strong as to not be comparable to what I feel for any other team.

Below that, and more relevant to this thread, there is a feeling of "I want this team to do well", but not of outright love. Here you find the Cardinals, the Marlins, and to a lesser extent the Astros, Reds, and Brewers. The Astros are higher than they were before; I used to hate them for Jeff Kent, but then Kent hit the only foul ball that I have ever gotten at a baseball game.

On a third level, there is a feeling of "If I go to a game betwen this team and another team, I will root for this team, but mostly I don't care". Here you'll find the Dodgers (thought not as much without Nomo) and the Rockies. The Nationals as well.

SOXSINCE'70
03-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Outside of the Sox,i'm a Phillies fan.
I wish Jim Thome paid more visits to the Loser's Urinal.
I'd like to see him hurt the North Side assclowns the same
way he used to kill the Sox at Comiskey!!

And,of course,any team playing the "loveable losers",
Twinkies,Tribe,tigers or Royals get my vote,too.:rolling:

DoggPhood
03-05-2005, 03:46 PM
I love the D-Rays. I love Carl Crawford.

Also, I like the Brewers because they have the best name in all of sports. And their stadium kicks @$$.

bafiarocks03
03-05-2005, 04:32 PM
other teams i root for..Reds!, A's!, Cards!, Red Sox!, Indians (when we don't play them), and im gonna root for Maggs and Carlos! but not the tigers or the brewers!

cooooooop15
03-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Hello all...

Brewer fan here. I was out cruising for some White Sox info to see how Scotty was doing and found this site. Reminds me a lot of Brewerfan.net. Very cool.

Honestly, back in the American League days I really hated the Sox. I remember going to County Stadium and my grandpa almost getting into fights, and he was 80! I have since become a Cubs hater like most of you. I listen to the score regularly and they talk Cubs 80%. Of course, they talk Cubs alot up here also unfortunately.

I will at least be keeping an eye on the Sox this year to see how Scotty and Luis are doing. I think they'll be good for you guys.

He was really not fun to watch at the plate last year. He just seemed to want to kill everything and he was pulling way to many outside pitches. He then seemed to realize it but then started getting fastballs thrown by him and fooled by offspeed stuff. Keep in mind the 70 stolen bases are a little deceiving because he was padding the stats a little towards the end. He's good for 50 easy, however. And I think you'll take that. He just needs to get on base more.

Luis can be great or terrible. He'll fool a stud hitter on 3 straight pitches and then give up a 420 foot bomb on the next pitch to the number 6 hitter. Needs to be consistent.

We're really looking forward to having Carlos this year. I realize some questioned his manhood in Chicago last year but if he hits like he has, we'll take it. Hopefully some of guys around him in the order will relax a little more.

Thanks for listening and have a great year.

B M l o t 7
03-05-2005, 05:15 PM
I rooting for the Brewers now because Carlos Lee is there, I want him to good, and Ben Sheets deserves to win a couple games too.

RKMeibalane
03-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Hello all...

Brewer fan here. I was out cruising for some White Sox info to see how Scotty was doing and found this site. Reminds me a lot of Brewerfan.net. Very cool.

Honestly, back in the American League days I really hated the Sox. I remember going to County Stadium and my grandpa almost getting into fights, and he was 80! I have since become a Cubs hater like most of you. I listen to the score regularly and they talk Cubs 80%. Of course, they talk Cubs alot up here also unfortunately.

I will at least be keeping an eye on the Sox this year to see how Scotty and Luis are doing. I think they'll be good for you guys.

He was really not fun to watch at the plate last year. He just seemed to want to kill everything and he was pulling way to many outside pitches. He then seemed to realize it but then started getting fastballs thrown by him and fooled by offspeed stuff. Keep in mind the 70 stolen bases are a little deceiving because he was padding the stats a little towards the end. He's good for 50 easy, however. And I think you'll take that. He just needs to get on base more.

Luis can be great or terrible. He'll fool a stud hitter on 3 straight pitches and then give up a 420 foot bomb on the next pitch to the number 6 hitter. Needs to be consistent.

We're really looking forward to having Carlos this year. I realize some questioned his manhood in Chicago last year but if he hits like he has, we'll take it. Hopefully some of guys around him in the order will relax a little more.

Welcome aboard. We're glad to have you here. :redneck

03-05-2005, 06:21 PM
I am going to follow the ChiSox and Reds. I have always followed these two teams. I do not get Whitesox games except for on ESPN, WGN , and free preview, I always get the Reds on FSN. I can not afford to dish $100 for just Sox games every year.

balke
03-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Hello all...

.....We're really looking forward to having Carlos this year. I realize some questioned his manhood in Chicago last year but if he hits like he has, we'll take it. Hopefully some of guys around him in the order will relax a little more.

Welcome! Its certainly understandable you hated the sox when in the American League, it was mutual. Glad we all came to our senses about the flubbies though.

Just thought I'd say Carlos wasn't a wuss, and he'll be very productive for your team for sure. He seems to get better every year, and just look at his games started/at-bats and you'll know he's consistant and out there everyday for your team.

FJA
03-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Cards, Marlins, Nats ... maybe the O's if a certain you-know-who can keep his boombox down and be ignored.

I won't cheer for any of these teams with anything close the the rabidness with which I cheer for the Sox, though. :cool:

MeanFish
03-05-2005, 08:39 PM
As with every year, I will continue to hope that the Athletics, Padres, Brewers, Blue Jays and Braves win their respective divisions (other than really wishing that the Sox win theirs :) )

Like HomeFish said though, it's a different kind of rooting. There's no real attachment to those teams, I just like them better than the others in their divisions.

SOXintheBURGH
03-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Sox, Bucs as my official NL team, and I guess I'll be following DC and booing Sosa since I'll be living there..

PAPChiSox729
03-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Hello all...

Welcome! You guys will really like Carlos. He plays very hard, and he is pretty good too! I really think that this trade will help both teams.

Bisco Stu
03-06-2005, 09:49 PM
The White Sox are my AL team.

The Mets are my NL team.

If they ever met in the WS (yeah, riiiiiight), I'd root for the Sox since I've already seen a Mets WS title.

Jerome
03-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Why, my second favorite team of course, The Oakland A's. I'll be cheering for Harden and Blanton succeed to show that the Mulder and Hudson trades weren't as bad as everyone says.

:fobbgod:
"Mulder had an ERA of over 6 last year in the second half last year. C'mon guys. Anyone can clearly see that we needed to make that trade."

ja1022
03-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Other than the Sox, the only other team I "root" for during the regular season is whoever is playing the Cubs. If the Sox get eliminated I usually adopt one team from each league to root for in the post season.

HITMEN OF 77
03-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Besides the White Sox? StL Cards