PDA

View Full Version : Buy the Sox

SoupAppling
03-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Pardon me if this has been discussed before.

I saw the news this morning that a corporation offered to buy the NHL. It got me to wondering why as fans, we don't get together to buy the Sox. I tried searching to find similar threads and found some on old Save our Sox drives, threads on where people would move the park, a thread on estimates on the Sox profits but didn't see anything on getting together to buy the Sox.

I remember a few years ago a half hearted attempt to raise money to buy the Expos (http://buytheexpos.poptopix.com/) (http://buytheexpos.poptopix.com/%29).

I'm thinking of a Packers type organizational structure (http://www.packers.com/stockholders/) expcept possibly running it as a for profit enterprise and paying dividends to shareholders.

There are 4,000+ members here and I'm sure people would come out of the woodwork to try to change ownership if there is a way to get us assembled and get us together with some financial and legal expertise to work out the kinks.

I'd think if we got together 100,000 folks we could raise between $250,000,000 and $500,000,000. Plus get some people like Michael Jordan, Carlton Fisk or Bo Jackson involved as the Packers do with their board of directors and I think its a very feasible proposition.

I know I'd be more inclined to purchase tickets to more games if I was involved as a shareholder of the club.

Just wanted to throw this idea out there. I think with the ability to gather in a forum like the WSI forum it may be possible to get something like this started.

Daver
03-03-2005, 08:15 PM
You better find some really deep pocketed investors if you want to get the owners committee to even consider it.

Cubbiesuck13
03-03-2005, 08:44 PM
I'll give you five (5) dollars right now.

I really don't know if I want some of these posters calling the shots though...:redneck

I want Mags back
03-03-2005, 08:44 PM
You mention a P word in you thread and their for it isa bad idea.

PACKERS SUCK

zach074
03-03-2005, 09:09 PM
This is quite possible the dumbest thing i heard all day.

SluggersAway
03-03-2005, 09:22 PM
It is not the dumbest thing considering it has happened already in professional sports albeit in football. But, it is quite the long shot since I doubt the rest of MLB owners would go for the idea of selling off their favourite toys to fans not to mention the loss of centralized authority.

Uncle_Patrick
03-03-2005, 09:23 PM
:cleo

"I see the Roadhouse in your future, mon."

SOXPHILE
03-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Let's do it ! I think I have a couple of hundred thousand dollars laying around here somewhere......:redneck

itsnotrequired
03-03-2005, 10:07 PM
:cleo

"I see the Roadhouse in your future, mon."

:kneeslap:

Dadawg_77
03-03-2005, 10:09 PM
MLB doesn't want a team to become a public company. The SEC filings would open a lot of details they don't want to see the day of light. Now ownership of a team by a public company is fine since a public company like AOL or Disney could easily hide details where if the team itself was a public company could not.

MIgrenade
03-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Your proposal would require 100,000 people to raise between $2500 and $5000. And just who would run the team out of these 100,000 people? The person who paid the most? Interesting idea, inasmuchas I would love to be an owner of the Sox but in reality...not good.

minastirith67
03-03-2005, 11:32 PM
To buy the Sox, Jerry and co. would need to sell, which just isn't gonna happen, at least not in the near future...

Plus, the elites don't want the masses to get a piece of the action, it will be stopped at all costs. MLB is not a democracy after all...

TDog
03-03-2005, 11:40 PM
I've never seen a Packers game (in television or in person), but I lived in Wisconsin for four years, paid my taxes and can tell you the Packers aren't the community thing they pretend to be. Before football players made the sort of money they make today, the community may have saved the franchise, but the franchise doesn't need that sort of community support anymore. Small-market football can succeed better than small-market baseball or any-market hockey because there is no true players' union. When the NFL players walked out in 1982, management essentially said, "We don't need you anyway." Players, most of whom have brief careers, understood that going continuing to strike would provide them with no football careers.

The White Sox currently have investors. I only know a couple, and I know there is some interest among investors in making a profit, enough that investors pressure JR. Having thousands of investors, many coming in with the promise of earning profits, would not provide the sort of management most people around here put in deep pink.

Daver is right about the deep-pocketed investors.

Of course, even the little guys would have to be investigated by MLB.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-04-2005, 12:16 AM
I've always wondered this; what do you think the Sox franchise is worth? I remember a figure around $200,000,000 not too long ago in the Sun-Times. Right now, I see them costing around....$300,000,000 tops?

Also, does anyone else remember hearing that the Yankees franchise is worth close to $1,500,000,000? Yes, $1.5 billion? I wouldn't be surprised. All those pennants/World Series titles, all that tradition, your own TV station, etc.

Unregistered
03-04-2005, 12:42 AM
I've always wondered this; what do you think the Sox franchise is worth? I remember a figure around $200,000,000 not too long ago in the Sun-Times. Right now, I see them costing around....$300,000,000 tops?

Also, does anyone else remember hearing that the Yankees franchise is worth close to $1,500,000,000? Yes, $1.5 billion? I wouldn't be surprised. All those pennants/World Series titles, all that tradition, your own TV station, etc. As of 2003, the Sox are worth $248 million. Yanks are apparently worth $832 million, while the Cubs are worth $358 million.

http://www.onestopbaseball.com/TeamValue.asp

doogiec
03-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Part of the joy of being a White Sox fan is criticizing the wealthy owners for refusing to put another $20-$30 million of their money into payroll each year. If we were the owners, and it was OUR money, some of that joy would be lost.