PDA

View Full Version : Question about White Sox and Steroids

OG4LIFE
03-03-2005, 08:14 PM
I remember a few years back the white sox getting together to protest and refuse a survey steroid test by mlb just to bring attention to the fact that steroids were a major problem in the game...

does anyone have a link to a story about this, or can otherwise breakdown the story?

RKMeibalane
03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
I remember a few years back the white sox getting together to protest and refuse a survey steroid test by mlb just to bring attention to the fact that steroids were a major problem in the game...

does anyone have a link to a story about this, or can otherwise breakdown the story?

What you've said is basically what happened. The Sox protested in order to ensure that the MLB would reach the magical 5% mark, in order to make testing mandatory. The Moron wrote an article about it, assuming that Frank Thomas was the ring-leader of the protest, when in reality, Frank didn't even know it had happened until Sandy Alomar mentioned it to him.

Larry Walker and several Colorado Rockies players remarked that the refusal of the Sox to cooperate "only made them look more guilty," but I think they accomplished a great deed for baseball by protesting. It forced MLB to make testing mandatory, which would not have happened if less than five percent of players had tested positive. Remember, a refused test was automatically listed as positive according to the testing guidlines.

Ol' No. 2
03-03-2005, 08:26 PM
What you've said is basically what happened. The Sox protested in order to ensure that the MLB would reach the magical 5% mark, in order to make testing mandatory. The Moron wrote an article about it, assuming that Frank Thomas was the ring-leader of the protest, when in reality, Frank didn't even know it had happened until Sandy Alomar mentioned it to him.

Larry Walker and several Colorado Rockies players remarked that the refusal of the Sox to cooperate "only made them look more guilty," but I think they accomplished a great deed for baseball by protesting. It forced MLB to make testing mandatory, which would not have happened if less than five percent of players had tested positive. Remember, a refused test was automatically listed as positive according to the testing guidlines.Actually, the union leadership leaned on them and they finally relented and took the test, so their action had no role in reaching the magic 5%. Juiced players did that all by themselves.

RKMeibalane
03-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Actually, the union leadership leaned on them and they finally relented and took the test, so their action had no role in reaching the magic 5%. Juiced players did that all by themselves.

Thank you. I'd forgotten about that part of it. I think the Sox made their point with their demonstration, though.

Ol' No. 2
03-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Thank you. I'd forgotten about that part of it. I think the Sox made their point with their demonstration, though.They surely did. What's more, I believe the rank-and-file players have been in favor of testing for a long time. You can believe they knew what was going on. Unfortunately, it seems the union is in the pockets of the few superstar players and is looking out for them more than the large majority. And not just where steroid testing is concerned.:(: