PDA

View Full Version : Crede vs. Fields

ChicagoHoosier
03-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Who was a better 3B prospect in the minors, coming up thru the system? All I heard about was how great Crede was and they shouldn't rush him to the bigs. Now he's here, not really playing up to his minor league hype, and I'm hearing about how great Fields will be when the time is right.

My question is, who was better in the minors? Is Fields going to be another Crede, or will be be our first solid 3B since Ventura? I, like many others on this site, are growing impatient with Crede. Not a reason to throw Fields in the fire, but just wondering how our optimism for Fields compares to what we thought a Crede several years ago.

maurice
03-03-2005, 02:27 PM
My question is, who was better in the minors?

It's too early to tell, since Fields has played less than one full season of pro ball. He started off cold (adjusting to wood bats), and ended the season red hot. Reportedly, he needs to work on his glove.

IIRC, Crede was league MVP a couple of times. That would be pretty tough to surpass.

rdivaldi
03-03-2005, 02:39 PM
The thing is, they were drated at completely different times of development. Crede came up through each level, starting as a relatively unknown 5th round high schooler. Fields on the other hand started out immediately at advanced A ball as a first rounder out of college. It's pretty hard to draw comparisons at this stage, at least until Fields gets some more at bats under his belt.

For now all we have is their Winston-Salem numbers:

Crede (1998 / 20 years old)
492 AB, 20 HR, 53 BB, 98 K, .901 OPS

Fields (2004 / 21 years old)
256 AB, 7 HR, 18 BB, 74 K, .778 OPS

I don't think you can draw much comparison, as Fields had a lot working against him (trying to adjust to wood bats, etc.)

2005 should supply much more info....

Randar68
03-03-2005, 02:51 PM
2005 should supply much more info....

I think that will be true for both Fields and Crede. If Crede fails, he'll be replaced at mid-season in trade, I have little doubt. Fields in AA after his hot finish last year should start to answer a lot of questions about his potential...