PDA

View Full Version : Ed Farmer

mikehuff
03-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Yesterday on the Sox broadcast of the first spring training game Ed Farmer went into a long story spanning over the length of a commercial break of how he was watching the Super Bowl at home in his basement. He was telling John Rooney how in the opening ceremony they brought out old war vets and paid tribute to them before the game. Then he described how much the flag means to him and how he stood for the national anthem in his basement while it was being played on TV.
The funny thing was that he kept mentioning that he saw an old marine veteran from World War I who came out still dressed in his uniform and how good he looked. He was also surprised because he said "...this man must have been in his 80's"
Anyway, the point is that the US entered World War I 88 years ago in 1917 and it ended 87 years ago in 1918. Ed doesn't seem to give any thought to his pointless stories and I assume Rooney has learned by now to just let it go (kind of like all of Santo's partners.)

- edit made a mistake on the dates. 1918 instead of 1919
Anyone else get annoyed by these pointless stories during the length of an entire game?

Clembasbal
03-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Yesterday on the Sox broadcast of the first spring training game Ed Farmer went into a long story spanning over the length of a commercial break of how he was watching the Super Bowl at home in his basement. He was telling John Rooney how in the opening ceremony they brought out old war vets and paid tribute to them before the game. Then he described how much the flag means to him and how he stood for the national anthem in his basement while it was being played on TV.
The funny thing was that he kept mentioning that he saw an old marine veteran from World War I who came out still dressed in his uniform and how good he looked. He was also surprised because he said "...this man must have been in his 80's"
Anyway, the point is that the US entered World War I 87 years ago in 1917 and it ended 85 years ago in 1919. Ed doesn't seem to give any thought to his pointless stories and I assume Rooney has learned by now to just let it go (kind of like all of Santo's partners.)

Anyone else get annoyed by these pointless stories during the length of an entire game?

Sorry, I rarely get annoyed by Farmer. It just must be the St. Rita Mustang mentality.

mike squires
03-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Over a span of three hours on the radio I guess sometimes he has to fill that space with these pointless stories. I know what you mean though...

Over By There
03-03-2005, 09:52 AM
No, I don't. :?:

D. TODD
03-03-2005, 10:07 AM
I absouluty get annoyed with Farmer and his broadcating style, on a regular basis. Rooney is top notch and Farmer is terrible, in my opinion. The only thing that makes him tolerable to me, is the fact that I know it could be much worse. Every time I have the misfortune of hearing Santo, then and only then, Farmer and his style of broadcasting doesen't seem to bad to me

Palehose13
03-03-2005, 10:14 AM

Yes. I was only able to listen for about 20 minutes yesterday on my way to a meeting. Unfortunately, most of the time I had to hear about Farmer and his golf buddies and when they go to Anaheim...yadda, yadda, yadda. I know that they have to kill some time, but he kept going and it seemed like Rooney was trying to sneal some play by play in there. It was like Farmer had forgotten that he was supposed to be broadcasting a baseball game. AND, it is the FIRST freaking broadcast. Can I hear some stories about what has been going on in ST so far and more stuff about the new guys?!?!?!?!

Brian26
03-03-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't know- I somewhat find Farmer's stories to be endearing. Wasn't he talking about crying during the national anthem in his basement (while standing up), and then his wife walked down and asked him what the hell was going on? LOL. Come on- anyone who admits to that is ok in my book. There's a weird mix of humbleness/humility and humor there that is pretty entertaining.

Brian26
03-03-2005, 10:31 AM
It was like Farmer had forgotten that he was supposed to be broadcasting a baseball game.

LOL. I particularly enjoyed it when they started talking about movies they had recently seen. That was great.

HomeFish
03-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Ed Farmer is a great man. His stories are part of that.

NonetheLoaiza
03-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I understand what you mean when you say you get tired of his stories, but personally I love Ed Farmer. To tell you the truth, his stories just give the broadcast personality. I think they are good filler in between action and during a short down time. The combination of him and Rooney is a good team, and I enjoy listening to them both.

Palehose13
03-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I understand what you mean when you say you get tired of his stories, but personally I love Ed Farmer. To tell you the truth, his stories just give the broadcast personality. I think they are good filler in between action and during a short down time. The combination of him and Rooney is a good team, and I enjoy listening to them both.

I wouldn't mind the stories if they were just a filler. However, it seems that more often than not they interfere with the actual play by play.

southsidesoxfan1
03-03-2005, 10:51 AM

Ditto on that!! Cut Farmio some slack, it's only the first game of spring training.

D. TODD
03-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Good filler, good entertainment, sounds an awful lot like the Scrub fans talking about Santo. I would much rather have qulity insight about the game, and not some guys personality traits using up much of the air-time

mikehuff
03-03-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't know- I somewhat find Farmer's stories to be endearing. Wasn't he talking about crying during the national anthem in his basement (while standing up), and then his wife walked down and asked him what the hell was going on? LOL. Come on- anyone who admits to that is ok in my book. There's a weird mix of humbleness/humility and humor there that is pretty entertaining.

Yeah, but one of his stories was about a guy in his 80's who was in a war that ended 87 years ago.

Lip Man 1
03-03-2005, 12:11 PM
It's still better then Darrin Jackson right?

Lip

mcfish
03-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Anyway, the point is that the US entered World War I 87 years ago in 1917 and it ended 85 years ago in 1919. Ed doesn't seem to give any thought to his pointless stories and I assume Rooney has learned by now to just let it go (kind of like all of Santo's partners.)

Anyone else get annoyed by these pointless stories during the length of an entire game?One of the best parts of listening to White Sox broadcasts, if you ask me. Farmer's off topic stories are entertaining to say the least. Every other broadcast booth does similar things. Assuming every game is only 3 hours long, there are more than 500 hours of air time between ST and the regular season. They cannot possibly fill every second with meaningful baseball conversation. I am so happy that we have Rooney and Farmer giving interesting dialog instead of the alternatives. (looking north, seeing Santo. Crying, scared by the possibility. :whiner:)

Palehose13
03-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Lip

I don't think so.

mcfish
03-03-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't think so.Now you're being unfair. Darrin Jackson, when he is given the chance to talk, is pretty bad in the booth.

What about my personal hero, Harry Doyle? You can't tell me Uecker doesn't interject a few stories in there from time to time. He's one of the best in the business.

stillz
03-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Farmer is the perfect compliment to Rooney. His memory is outstanding, he's funny, laid back and generally pretty darn entertaining.Didn't here yesterday's broadcast, but gotta defend the man. He rules!

TheFiestyOne DJ
03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
LOL. I particularly enjoyed it when they started talking about movies they had recently seen. That was great.

Agreed.

I thought Rooney did a good job of trying to interfere with Farmer's movie reviews with an actual baseball game.

I also enjoyed the Albert Belle & Barry Bonds talk.

owensmouth
03-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Anyway, the point is that the US entered World War I 87 years ago in 1917 and it ended 85 years ago in 1919.

The war ended November 11th, 1918.

He couldn't say much about what had been going on during spring training, Farmer had just arrived. I suppose he could have spent even more time saying that this was so-and-so's first at bat.

Farmer's the color guy, he's supposed to fill in the dead time. I don't agree with everything he says, but he's not bad.

TheFiestyOne DJ
03-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I almost forgot...

How can you not dig on the hitchiking talk.

Farmer: "John, you ever pick up a hitchiker?"
Rooney: "No Ed, never have... you?"
Farmer: "Sure, that's how I got to school everyday."

That's quality stuff right there.

Man Soo Lee
03-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Anyway, the point is that the US entered World War I 87 years ago in 1917 and it ended 85 years ago in 1919.

I find Farmer nearly insufferable, but the marine in the story was at the flag raising at Iwo Jima which was sixty years ago.

joe250
03-03-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm assuming Farmer meant to say World War II instead of I, that's all.

Palehose13
03-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Now you're being unfair. Darrin Jackson, when he is given the chance to talk, is pretty bad in the booth.

What about my personal hero, Harry Doyle? You can't tell me Uecker doesn't interject a few stories in there from time to time. He's one of the best in the business.

How am I being unfair? I think DJ can be pretty goofy and I like that. Farmer reminds me of an relative that is up in years and long winded and because he is family you are polite and listen to all his stories even though, at times, you would rather jab toothpicks under your fingernails.

Ueker is totally different than Farmer. He's funny as hell. Besides, I don't think you have been getting what I have been saying. Stories are fine. I just don't like when they interfere with the braodcast of the game...especially on radio. I can't see the action andI want to know what is going on...I did tune in to hear the baseball game, not hear about Ed Farmer and his golf buddies.

wdelaney72
03-03-2005, 01:14 PM

I'm not an Ed Farmer fan, however, I will give him his props. He went off BIG TIME on Bonds an Albert Bell yesterday. It was refreshing to hear someone tell it like it is, as opposed to trying to be politically correct, and not hurt anyone's feelings.

Brian26
03-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah, but one of his stories was about a guy in his 80's who was in a war that ended 86 years ago.

Maybe he meant WW2 instead of WW1.

Brian26
03-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Agreed.

I thought Rooney did a good job of trying to interfere with Farmer's movie reviews with an actual baseball game.

OH YEAH! I forgot about that, but I indeed heard that toward the end of the game as well. That was seriously riveting stuff. Farmer mentioned how he had asked Albert in '97 to come to a "Make-A-Wish" event, and Albert basically told Ed to F-Off. In Ed's words, he told Ed "to go bake a cake." Ed then mentioned Albert basically went on his ****list for the next year or so. Does anyone remember Farmer being unpolite after this to Belle on the broadcasts? I thought this was interesting stuff to say the least.

Ed also mentioned a 2nd baseman that wasn't hustling, so "see you later." I got a phone call and didn't hear the radio after that, but I assumed they were talking about D'Angelo Jiminez. Did anyone else catch this?

mikehuff
03-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Maybe he meant WW2 instead of WW1.

I was thinking that too, but he came back to "WWI" about 3 times. He also mentioned WWII in there somewhere, but about this guy he definitely meant WWI.

And my mistake on the date. November 11, 1918 is correct.
Thanks to "Owensmouth."

MUsoxfan
03-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I have never once in my life been annoyed by Farmer. I find him thoroughly entertaining and informative. He even calls a good game when Rooney is off doing something else for an inning. I even turn down the TV at times to listen to the radio because I think the radio guys are better (especially after DJ gets worn down in the middle of the season). Speaking of which.....it's game time

maurice
03-03-2005, 03:56 PM
I agree with PH13. DJ is fine when he's awake, but Farmer is horrible all the time.

Rooney, OTOH, is very very good.

Foulke You
03-03-2005, 04:17 PM
I love Eddie Farmer. He has tremendous insight on pitching and a very dry sense of humor that I really appreciate. He doesn't sugar coat everything for the listener like Hawk and DJ will do at times. He tells it like it is. Overall, he is a great color man and Rooney is the best play by play man in baseball.

Farmer and Rooney are the best announcing combo in the business. Name me a duo in baseball who is better than them. I don't know of any.

DickAllen72
03-03-2005, 05:17 PM

Lip
Nope. Farmer may be a decent guy, but as a baseball announcer he's the worst.
:(:

RedPinStripes
03-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Sorry, I rarely get annoyed by Farmer. It just must be the St. Rita Mustang mentality.

I get very annoyed with him. I went to St. Laurence. :cool:

maurice
03-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I get very annoyed with him. I went to St. Laurence. :cool:

That explains our mutual dislike for him. Must be a Viking thing.

PH13 hates him because she almost went to Queen of Peace.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Ditto on that!! Cut Farmio some slack, it's only the first game of spring training.

Let me get this straight. You think Farmer should be given "slack" for going off on a long and irrelevant tangent the first day of spring training? Do you think he has already used up all his short and relevant material?

What a clown...

This is going to be another loooooong summer listening to this dolt.

:farmer
"I ran out of material because Sosa left town."

JB98
03-03-2005, 06:52 PM
I think Rooney is outstanding. Farmer, I just sort of tolerate. He's not great, but he could be worse.

Two things that irritate me about the Sox radio broadcast: 1. The constant bitching about the travel schedule. 2. The endless pissing and moaning about outfielders wearing their sunglasses on top of their caps.

D. TODD
03-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Farmer may be a heck of a nice guy, but I dread hearing him when I'm stuck listening to a game on the radio. Thankfully, it's usually only for a couple of innings. He comes off as a bit uppity on the radio, referring to players positively or negatively almost solely on his personal interactions with them. I would much rather hear his opinions about the players based on their actions on the Field.

popilius
03-03-2005, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't mind the stories if they were just a filler. However, it seems that more often than not they interfere with the actual play by play.

This is what I think seems to happen sometimes, too. For example, yesterday when Farmio was talking about the Super Bowl, I wanted a better visual description of how the Sox pitchers looked on the mound, etc. That time could have been dedicated to the excitement, look, and feeling of spring training. I was so excited to listen to the game in Arizona, but his story sort of bogged down the feeling for me.
:gulp:

shoota
03-04-2005, 01:08 AM
I've learned some things about the game of baseball from Ed Farmer's broadcasts of Sox games that I've never heard from anyone else. He has great, unique insight to the game that he is willing to share with Sox fans. On top of that, he adds comedy to his broadcasts. Ed Farmer is a big reason why I'm proud to be a Sox fan and he increases Sox fans' baseball intelligence.

As far as non-baseball related issues, he is just a great man. He is always informing and encouraging the public about organ donating. He is the reason why I signed up to be an organ doner.

John Rooney is a solid professional too. Perhaps it's because they've been partnered for such a long time together, but I couldn't imagine one working without the other. I will dread the day when this tandem ends.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-04-2005, 01:24 AM
"The umpire told me to knock it off. Of course I didn't. I got kicked out of the game and I got fined. I never paid the fine of course. The team paid it for me".....and I think I'm cool and I'm a Hollywood Hard Ass. Give me a break.
:farmer

REPLACE FARMIO!

The day this guy retires, leaves for another position, or is fired, will be a great day for me as a Sox fan. He's just such a wannabe hard ass with barely any (IF ANY) success in the majors. His stories are lame, his color analyzing is redundant, and he's just OLD.

Can you guys make a REPLACE FARMIO banner? I'd fly that thing high and proudly.

You guys can defend him all you want. You're lying to yourself if you think he's the best, or anywhere near the best, that we can do. I'd love to hear Carlton Fisk side-by-side with Rooney or anyone for that matter besides this schmuck. Robin Ventura retired didn't he? Go after his ass! Start him off on the radio, and in a few years when he's ready, give him DJ's job. Rockin' Robin is such a great entertainer and also has great knowledge of the game.

Also, the day Kelly Wunsch retires, the Sox better approach him with a TV or radio gig. He has such a great personality and is so damn funny. Not to mention he's pitched in the majors and would provide great insight along with humor.

TornLabrum
03-04-2005, 08:00 AM
I almost forgot...

How can you not dig on the hitchiking talk.

Farmer: "John, you ever pick up a hitchiker?"
Rooney: "No Ed, never have... you?"
Farmer: "Sure, that's how I got to school everyday."

That's quality stuff right there.

You left out the best part. He then went on to talk about how St. Laurence is now just a couple of blocks from where he grew up but that they just closed down his old elementary school. Riveting stuff!

Maximo
03-04-2005, 09:14 AM
I caught a couple of innings of the radio broadcast yesterday while in my car. Ed Farmer made me feel as if it were August 15, the attendance at the Cell was 6,000 and the Sox were 22 games out of first place.

Team DJ with Rooney on the radio......put Farmer with Harrelson on TV and locate the mute button on your remote control.

DC Sox Fan
03-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Ed Farmer made me feel as if it were August 15, the attendance at the Cell was 6,000 and the Sox were 22 games out of first place.

That is an awesome description of it.

The last couple days have been my first real exposure to the Sox' radio team, thanks to XM. I was soooo unimpressed with Farmer. It was the first day of spring training, and he sounded thoroughly bored out of his mind. That really pissed me off. It's the first ****ing day of Spring Training, and you can't get pumped for that? So sorry to bother you by making you announce a game, sir.

I was very impressed by Rooney, though. And I am glad that I have the opportunity to be annoyed by Farmer- at least I can hear 'em on the radio now.

yoester
03-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I think Farmer and Rooney are way too close friends. They rant on and on, on non baseball stuff. They talk about noises they hear outside there hotel room, what they ate yesterday, etc.

It's more tolerable in the early inninngs in games but when they talk about stupid stuff during the 8th and 9th, I get really mad. One game the White Sox were clinging to a 4-3 lead to the Angels in the 8th inning, with the Angels batting, the bases were loaded, 2 outs, Marte just came in to the game. He went on and on with one of these stupid stories, he would say something, and then say "ball outside" and immediately go back to his stupid story. The batter ended up flying out, he made it sound like it was no big deal.

Please stick to the game, there is so much to say on the radio, we can't see what's going on, so describe it!

daveeym
03-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Now you're being unfair. Darrin Jackson, when he is given the chance to talk, is pretty bad in the booth.

What about my personal hero, Harry Doyle? You can't tell me Uecker doesn't interject a few stories in there from time to time. He's one of the best in the business. Oh man Rooney was doing a Harry Doyle impersonation last sunday, had my ass crying.