PDA

View Full Version : Mar. 1 Rennovations up on whitesox.com

cbrownson13
03-02-2005, 10:23 AM
If you go to the main page under the main headline to the right you will see the link. Nothing spectacular yet. It was nice to see the field with no snow or tarp on it.

Rocky Soprano
03-02-2005, 10:26 AM
They better get a move on it, we are about a month away and it does not look like they will be done on time.

SoxFan78
03-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I hope those pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago, because I dont see the Scout Seats or the Fundamentals deck being finished in one month.

Ol' No. 2
03-02-2005, 10:45 AM
I hope those pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago, because I dont see the Scout Seats or the Fundamentals deck being finished in one month.I can pretty much guarantee you that the Scout seats will be ready for opening day, even if they have to work 24/7 to get it done.

Rush20
03-02-2005, 10:53 AM
I don't understand why they waited so long to begin work. Must by a 2005 vs. 2004 budget issue.

MUsoxfan
03-02-2005, 10:55 AM
I don't understand why they waited so long to begin work. Must by a 2005 vs. 2004 budget issue.

Last year's pics made it look like they were FAR behind as well, but everything was done in time. It's amazing what a contractor can get done under time and $$ pressure.

fledgedrallycap
03-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Every single year they do construction, every single year people think it will be late....Believe me, these firms have deadlines and will work round the clock to get it done.

SOXintheBURGH
03-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Last year's pics made it look like they were FAR behind as well, but everything was done in time. It's amazing what a contractor can get done under time and $$ pressure.

:sopranos

You got a problem with contractors?

DC Sox Fan
03-02-2005, 12:19 PM
If you're getting worried, just take a look at these beauties:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/bas2q/RFK%20Construction%20-%202-22-05/MVC-057F.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/bas2q/RFK%20Construction%20-%202-22-05/MVC-052F.jpg

At least the Cell has: grass, a pitcher's mound, outfield fences, completed clubhouses, bullpens and a press box. And opening day here is April 3 :o: (BTW my tix are in the front of the section in the middle of the lower picture :cool:

MUsoxfan
03-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Hey DC, why didn't they tear that place down when FedEx opened? Were they making a play for the Expos for all these years?

DC Sox Fan
03-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey DC, why didn't they tear that place down when FedEx opened? Were they making a play for the Expos for all these years?

They definitely were holding out hope, and using it as leverage to land the 'Spos. In fact, Montreal played an exhibition game here in '99 against the Cards. It is also home to DC United, and has hosted major soccer events (US national games, MLS championship games, etc.)

Rumor is that DC united will get a new stadium across the scenic anacostia from the Nats' new park. RFK shoud be history by 2009.

Hokiesox
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/bas2q/RFK%20Construction%20-%202-22-05/MVC-057F.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/bas2q/RFK%20Construction%20-%202-22-05/MVC-052F.jpg

At least the Cell has: grass, a pitcher's mound, outfield fences, completed clubhouses, bullpens and a press box. And opening day here is April 3 :o: (BTW my tix are in the front of the section in the middle of the lower picture :cool:

so, when are we going to a game together and representing the Sox with our jerseys? :rolleyes:

Hokiesox
03-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Fed Ex is no place for a baseball game. Not even configured close to correctly. They can't move the seats around there. It was built for one purpose: football.

DC Sox Fan
03-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Hokie- I am in with a large group and have tix for 5 games so far. Including the Scrubs. I will be wearing a Sox shirt/Nats hat. Root FOR the Nats, and against the Scrubs at the same time by showing my love for the Sox. Priceless....

I'll keep you posted.

Brian26
03-02-2005, 12:59 PM

I love the GIANT soccerball in centerfield.

DC Sox Fan
03-02-2005, 01:00 PM
I love the GIANT soccerball in centerfield.

I know, Brian. It is an eyesore! It's actually a clock that should be gone by opening day.

Like I said, it makes the Cell look PRETTY DAMN GOOD :cool:

Brian26
03-02-2005, 01:04 PM
I know, Brian. It is an eyesore! It's actually a clock that should be gone by opening day.

Like I said, it makes the Cell look PRETTY DAMN GOOD :cool:

I read that the outfield upperdeck will actually overhang the outfield wall (sort of reminiscent of old Tiger Stadium). The outfield itself will probably look a bit like the old Fulton County Stadium.

I'm glad they were able to move the seats over though. Apparently they hadn't been moved in years and there was some concern that the tracks may not work anymore. I guess they actually hook up to giant humvees to the stands and pull them along the track.

Hokiesox
03-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Hokie- I am in with a large group and have tix for 5 games so far. Including the Scrubs. I will be wearing a Sox shirt/Nats hat. Root FOR the Nats, and against the Scrubs at the same time by showing my love for the Sox. Priceless....

I'll keep you posted.

Let me know if something opens up. single game tix aren't on sale until the 14th or 21st.

DC Sox Fan
03-02-2005, 01:12 PM
While the OF stands will be very close to the wall, they shouldn't actually overhang the playing field. It will make long fly balls difficult to view from the UD OF seats.

Getting the seats fixed was a chore, considering they were hardly ever moved for the past 34 years. They did manage to put in an automated system that will move them along a track via a motor. The problem is that it looks like they will have to dig up/cover up the tracks each time they do this. Fortunately, United will only have 16 games there this year.

Fulton county and Busch are good exaples of what the ol' girl will look like. Here's a pic from '71 and it's what they're aiming to duplicate (with more fannies in the seats, of course!):

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/rfk2.jpg

daveeym
03-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Thread hijack, let's bring it back, man seeing those pics now I'm not too sure of the fundamentals area. I was all for it before, getting a little hesitant now.

DC Sox Fan
03-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah I'm guilty of jacking so I'll help bring it back on course, too.

I was never sure how I felt about the wide open space in LF- bleachers and concourse. I kind of preferred the old comiskey where you had the upper deck there, made it feel more intimate.

Seeing the pictures from under the Hangar18'sFUNdamentals, I don't know if I like it there. I had grown used to the open space- the view and feel of it all. Still can't see the entire picture yet, so I'll withold judgement...

Hangar18
03-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Looking at these Pics, I couldve swore they Tore Down
Fulton County already ..........

batmanZoSo
03-02-2005, 03:56 PM

Man how old is RFK? The Expos just moved from one outdated dump to another.

DC Sox Fan
03-02-2005, 03:58 PM
44 years old- makes it older than Olympic. It was THE original "cookie-cutter." But it's only their home for 3 years- 4 at most.

Let's get it back to the Cell, folks, I'm feeling guilty about the threadjack:redface:

Any idea when they will start putting in the green seats?

AZChiSoxFan
03-02-2005, 04:02 PM

I'll keep you posted.

I'll be doing the same thing on April 5th when I go to the D-backs vs. Scrubs game. Wearing a Sox shirt and a D-backs hat.

Brian26
03-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Thread hijack, let's bring it back, man seeing those pics now I'm not too sure of the fundamentals area. I was all for it before, getting a little hesitant now.

Wow- I'm the exact opposite. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but now that I see the actual construction, I think it's going to look beautiful. It's going to be a great transition between the high upper deck and the low concourse. I imagine they will put a similar structure (elevated party decks) in the same place in rightfield eventually.

GiveMeSox
03-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Fed Ex is no place for a baseball game. Not even configured close to correctly. They can't move the seats around there. It was built for one purpose: football.

Thats not FedEX field. That is old RFK stadium. FedEX field is the new Redskin stadium and RFK is the old one that was until now not really used.

oeo
03-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Thats not FedEX field. That is old RFK stadium. FedEX field is the new Redskin stadium and RFK is the old one that was until now not really used.

Did I miss something? :?:

I'm pretty sure he was responding to someone who thought RFK should have been torn down and they should be using FedEX Field.

BTW, I love the FUNdamentals area, it's going to look awesome when it's finished.

daveeym
03-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Wow- I'm the exact opposite. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but now that I see the actual construction, I think it's going to look beautiful. It's going to be a great transition between the high upper deck and the low concourse. I imagine they will put a similar structure (elevated party decks) in the same place in rightfield eventually. Every other change has been for the better so I'll keep my fingers crossed but it just seems to be rather ginormous.