PDA

View Full Version : Mark Gonzales?

minastirith67
03-01-2005, 10:05 PM
If you haven't already, check out the Sox's new beat writer for the Cubune, Mark Gonzales.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050301askmarkgonzales,1,5474395.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Why do we have a non-Sox fan cover the team, and a non-Chicagoan at that!? I am not criticizing his writing or previous coverage (I don't know of him at all), but why must we go outside of the city for a reporter for the Sox? I think Rich echoed this in his article on the homepage as well, this idea of out-of-towners talking about Chicago sports.

Thoughts?

SoxxoS
03-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Anyone is better than the God-awful Paul Sullivan...he posted more sarcastic crap in a season than anyone I have ever read. Horrible.

MRKARNO
03-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I'd rather have an impartial voice than a hack from within the Tribune company.

fusillirob1983
03-01-2005, 10:17 PM
I agree, I think he'll at least have some pretty fair coverage. Time will tell.

Kogs35
03-01-2005, 11:41 PM
what happened to bob foltman?

DrCrawdad
03-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Anyone is better than the God-awful Paul Sullivan...he posted more sarcastic crap in a season than anyone I have ever read. Horrible.

Come on Sully, I know you've been lurking.

How much attention do you pay to baseball bloggers and fan message boards?

PAUL SULLIVAN: None. I never read them...I don't have the time or the desire. Sometimes people will email me a link to a fan site where someone is drilling me for something I wrote. I've learned never to respond. Some of these people are downright nuts. No offense to you, but everyone with a PC and a printer believes they're a writer. That's the worst aspect of the Internet Age -- everyone has something to say and a blog to say it in.

...Many Cubs fans have no sense of humor and believe they can do my job better than me (just like LaTroy). It's amazing how sensitive they are.

jackbrohamer
03-02-2005, 10:24 AM
He went to the same high school as Carney Lansford, how much more qualified can a guy get? I'm sure he'll know the Cubune's drill for covering the White Sox by the time the season starts: Carp about poor attendance, bellyache about the Cell and its fans, and be ready to leave the team and cover the Cubs if they are still in it by September.

Ol' No. 2
03-02-2005, 11:01 AM
If you haven't already, check out the Sox's new beat writer for the Cubune, Mark Gonzales.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050301askmarkgonzales,1,5474395.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Why do we have a non-Sox fan cover the team, and a non-Chicagoan at that!? I am not criticizing his writing or previous coverage (I don't know of him at all), but why must we go outside of the city for a reporter for the Sox? I think Rich echoed this in his article on the homepage as well, this idea of out-of-towners talking about Chicago sports.

Thoughts?My take on it is this. Any sports writer who is with the Tribune for any length of time can read the handwriting on the wall. They consider the Sox second class and any writer who wants to move up had better get assigned to something else. So they bring in new writers to cover the Sox. Not too different from a lot of companies. Newbies get the "second-tier" assignments. Look at the history. Sullivan, Greenstein, Foltman...all learned to peddle the company line and got off the Sox beat as soon as they could.

DumpJerry
03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
What do you think of Chicago?
I love the town. I've been coming there every year since 1992. It's really improved downtown. It feels safer every time you go there.

:o:, I'm worried. He did not feel safe in downtown??? Wait until Moronetti tells him about Baghdad-On-The-Lake, a/k/a the Comiskey Park neighborhood...........

TDog
03-02-2005, 11:34 AM
:o:, I'm worried. He did not feel safe in downtown??? Wait until Moronetti tells him about Baghdad-On-The-Lake, a/k/a the Comiskey Park neighborhood...........

George Will had a column last week comparing the murder rate in Chicago -- until recently -- with the violent-death rate in Baghdad. I feel safe in my neighborhood, though, as long as the bears are hibernating.

Lip Man 1
03-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Before condemming Sully as being 'anti-Sox,' (like we haven't heard that blanket statement before...) feel free to read his WSI Interview.

Sully always seemed to be very supportive of this web site.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=704

Lip

jackbrohamer
03-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Before condemming Sully as being 'anti-Sox,' (like we haven't heard that blanket statement before...) feel free to read his WSI Interview.

Sully always seemed to be very supportive of this web site.

He did, but IMO his coverage of the team was a joke. His articles always seemed to emphasize negative things, even when the Sox won. And he was absolutely obsessed with low attendance; he beat that issue beyond death.

santo=dorf
03-02-2005, 01:16 PM
His articles always seemed to emphasize negative things, even when the Sox won.
Well why do you think Lip enjoys his work? :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
03-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Considering the Sox have averaged 83 wins a season during Sully's time covering them, I'd think there was plenty of negative things to write about.

I must have missed all those pennants during that time.

Lip