PDA

View Full Version : Korean Pitcher Sang-Ho Moon Tries Out For Sox

DrCrawdad
03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Interesting...

Korean born pitcher Sang-Ho Moon had a brief tryout for the Sox on Tuesday, throwing around 95 miles per hour, sporting a fastball, splitter and a slider. No decision was made. - Cubune

Great! Now the Washington Times will be covering the Sox!

santo=dorf
03-01-2005, 06:04 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/AZCA10203012100.jpeg

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Is Kenny buddies with everyone? Check out the arm around Cooper's shoulders. :tongue:

By the way, that pitcher looks like a Korean Johnny Depp. :cool:

DrCrawdad
03-01-2005, 06:08 PM
We are the world...

Palehose13
03-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Is Kenny buddies with everyone? Check out the arm around Cooper's shoulders. :tongue:

LOL...I was thinking the same thing!

By the way, that pitcher looks like a Korean Johnny Depp. :cool:

Totally. That's kinda freaky, but I think he looks bad ass on the mound. What the hell...can't be worse than Mike Jackson. :wink:

DrCrawdad
03-01-2005, 06:10 PM
He's got a great arm, but can he hit an Osprey sitting on a utility pole?
Ok, I know there probably no Osprey in Tucson.

voodoochile
03-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Wild Thing.... You make my heart sing... You make everything...

Groovy...

zach074
03-01-2005, 06:17 PM

Is that really the guy?:?:

Whitesox029
03-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Totally. That's kinda freaky, but I think he looks bad ass on the mound. What the hell...can't be worse than Mike Jackson. :wink:
All he's gotta do is lose the glasses and I'll agree, hose.

itsnotrequired
03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
That picture is freaking hilarious!

Unregistered
03-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Is that really the guy?:?: Yep.
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050301/capt.azca10303012059.white_sox_spring_azca103.jpg
South Korean pitcher Sang Ho Moon, 23, stretches after a free agent tryout at the Chicago White Sox spring training facility in Tucson, Ariz., Tuesday, March 1, 2005. Moon reportedly played professional ball in Korea in 1999 and 2000, and is returning to baseball after a manditory four-year military service obligation.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Wow, he's only 23 and he can throw 95 MPH with a splitter and a slider? I wanna see this guy in the minors. He's like the Korean version of Contreras.

Foulke You
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
My Korean friend at work has identified the hat Sang Ho Moon is wearing as a "Doosan Bears" hat. In Korea, all teams are named after their sponsor not the city they play in. Doosan is a company name. Apparently, even Hyundai has a team in Korea. My friend doesn't know too much about this pitcher though other than the team he plays for.

I agree with the "Korean Johnny Depp" comment as well.:D:

Unregistered
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Also, here's a good one with ozzie:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050301/capt.azca10503012057.white_sox_spring_azca105.jpg

"I haff no idea wha you jussaid..."

:tongue:

lths06
03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Also, here's a good one with ozzie:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050301/capt.azca10503012057.white_sox_spring_azca105.jpg

"I haff no idea wha you jussaid..."

:tongue:

Who said that, Ozzie or the Korean pitcher :tongue:

santo=dorf
03-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Who said that, Ozzie or the Korean pitcher :tongue:

Damn! Beat me to it! :redneck

Unregistered
03-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Who said that, Ozzie or the Korean pitcher :tongue: :)

iwcup
03-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Interesting. 23 years old, four years removed from the game, and 95 mph fastball... so does the time away help or hurt him?

Are we becoming the place to go for all the international players? not a bad thing to get first dibs/looks/etc for those looking to make a splash in the US.

HomeFish
03-01-2005, 07:06 PM
What could we possibly lose by giving him a minor league contract? I don't believe we are stacked with starters at every level; if we are, surely we are not also stocked with relievers.

beckett21
03-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Interesting. 23 years old, four years removed from the game, and 95 mph fastball... so does the time away help or hurt him?

Are we becoming the place to go for all the international players? not a bad thing to get first dibs/looks/etc for those looking to make a splash in the US.

Interesting indeed.

I don't see how this can be a bad thing given those key numbers of 23 years old and 95 MPH fastball. Definitely worth a look.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 07:08 PM

Are we becoming the place to go for all the international players? not a bad thing to get first dibs/looks/etc for those looking to make a splash in the US.It probably helps his arm but hurts his control. With 4 years away from throwing his arm is probably very strong, especially if he's throwing 95 MPH. But with a 4 years from throwing, I don't know how good his control could be.

balke
03-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Time to brush up on those foreign language skills. Hopefully we get some foreign T.V. time, and tourist imports from these acquisitions.

Iguana775
03-01-2005, 07:25 PM
LOL...I was thinking the same thing!

if they sign him, they could have him come out to pirate music. lol.

DumpJerry
03-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Last year I said that if I were an owner, I would pump my $$$ into scouts and minor league coaches, ala the 1980's Dodgers to build a strong team without a need to sign big free agents. This is a more economical way to run a successful team.

I think I would add to the formula scouting out foreign players. There is a goldmine of excellent players in countries that play Baseball that would love to come here for more money than they knew existed. This is like when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier and all those highly talented players in the Negro Leagues came to MLB as highly talented players. Over the past 20 years or so MLB teams have taken this approach to Latin American countries. Asia is a deep goldmine that has hardly been touched yet........

soltrain21
03-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Sign him, its worth a shot.

ondafarm
03-01-2005, 08:01 PM
I saw this guy pitch once. His first pitch knocked the first guy down. The guy got up, dusted himself off and dug in again. He got knocked down again. Down 0-2, the man came back and struck him out.

Scouting report from a couple of years ago.
Sang-Ho Moon. Classic long-armed guy. Good mechanics, fluid motion. Great heat, good slider, only one change (he threw circle changes while warming up, but not in the game.) Curve ball decent but not an out pitch. Smarter than average pitcher, set up several hitters well. Shook off the catcher several times, crossed him up more than one time. Cocky attitude, not greatest team guy.

soltrain21
03-01-2005, 08:29 PM
I am sure the cocky attitude would change while coming to America.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 08:39 PM
I saw this guy pitch once. His first pitch knocked the first guy down. The guy got up, dusted himself off and dug in again. He got knocked down again. Down 0-2, the man came back and struck him out.Don't you mean, "Down 2-0"? :wink:

SOX ADDICT '73
03-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Don't you mean, "Down 2-0"? :wink:
Maybe Moon's stuff is so deceptive that the batter swung at both knockdown pitches.:wink:

Rocklive99
03-01-2005, 08:58 PM
As I said in the chat, he looks like the Japanese version of Where's Waldo :D:

JoseCanseco6969
03-01-2005, 09:08 PM
As I said in the chat, he looks like the Japanese version of Where's Waldo :D:

I dont give a damn what he looks like,(he does look like an asian Depp though:D:) if hes got some good stuff and potential, let him play a season in aa or aaa and see what he's made of. Worth a chance. Hell, lets grab a bunch of asian players and stockpile our farm system as someone else said. Cant hurt with all the garbage we've produced in the last season or two, (or traded away for carl everett.)

Clembasbal
03-01-2005, 09:37 PM
That form has gotta change...the hitters/ 1B coaches will definately pick up on the ball handling.

I say sign him and work with him.

HawkDJ
03-01-2005, 10:04 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050301/capt.azca10303012059.white_sox_spring_azca103.jpg
=
http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/walt_disney/pirates_of_the_caribbean__the_curse_of_the_black_p earl/johnny_depp/piratespre4.jpg
?

DrCrawdad
03-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Last year I said that if I were an owner, I would pump my $$$ into scouts and minor league coaches, ala the 1980's Dodgers to build a strong team without a need to sign big free agents. This is a more economical way to run a successful team.

I think I would add to the formula scouting out foreign players. There is a goldmine of excellent players in countries that play Baseball that would love to come here for more money than they knew existed. This is like when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier and all those highly talented players in the Negro Leagues came to MLB as highly talented players. Over the past 20 years or so MLB teams have taken this approach to Latin American countries. Asia is a deep goldmine that has hardly been touched yet........

A step in that direction?

The tryout was arranged by newly hired international scout Ray Poitevint, who has scouted in foreign countries for 20 years, most recently for the Boston Red Sox. Lee estimated Moon threw in the 93 m.p.h. range, but an early bout of wildness included a few pitches that stuck in the backstop. - Cubune, March 2, 2005

SOXintheBURGH
03-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Send that man to Alabama!! 23 years old with 95mph and a breaking ball, years removed from the game.. give him some pitching instruction and he can only get better...:gulp:

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Send that man to Alabama!! 23 years old with 95mph and a breaking ball, years removed from the game.. give him some pitching instruction and he can only get better...:gulp:Agreed. He's only 23 and he's been away from baseball for 4 years, yet he can still hit 95 MPH on his fastball?!? Sign him now!

I_Liked_Manuel
03-01-2005, 11:27 PM

you've got to be kidding me

JUribe1989
03-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Wow I am certainly falling in love with those scouting reports of him. What the heck, let's give him a shot and hope he makes the rotation in a few years along with the second coming of Blackjack, Brandon McCarthy.

OEO Magglio
03-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Like everyone else has said, it definitely couldn't hurt to give this guy a shot in the minors. sign him up.

awesomefan
03-02-2005, 12:35 AM
DrCrawDad...Thanks for the info on the Korean pitcher. Thanks to the other guys here with all the rest of the newspaper stories & such. It's all great.

This is awesome stuff. I love all the comments about him lookin' like a badass & Johnny Depp....I agree

The "WE ARE THE WORLD" quote R-O-C-K-S

I'm lovin' it:cool:

UofCSoxFan
03-02-2005, 01:04 AM

My only question is what's w/ the red shoes when there is absolutely NO red on his uniform.

Jerry may not like the fact that he'll have to buy the guy new cleats

Jabroni
03-02-2005, 01:25 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050301&content_id=953857&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
Foreign arms: Sang Ho Moon, a free agent pitcher from Korea, had an open tryout with the White Sox during workouts Tuesday. Sporting red shoes and long reddish-brown hair, the hard-throwing right-hander had a bullpen session in front of Williams, Guillen, pitching coach Don Cooper and a handful of White Sox scouts.

Moon threw to Man Soo Lee, the White Sox bullpen catcher, who is considered a Korean baseball legend. Although the 23-year-old Moon was a bit wild, with two early pitches sailing over Lee's head and getting stuck in the chain-link support fence, he was able to throw the ball in the low-to-mid-90s. He also featured a split-finger and slider, according to Lee.

No decision had been made as of Tuesday afternoon on whether the White Sox would sign him to a minor league contract.As expected, he doesn't have the greatest control. :(:

doublem23
03-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Maybe Ozzie can send him out "to goon it up."

DrCrawdad
03-02-2005, 01:34 AM
DrCrawDad...Thanks for the info on the Korean pitcher....The "WE ARE THE WORLD" quote R-O-C-K-S

I'm lovin' it:cool:

Just doing my part.

GO-GO WHITE SOX!

Shorty1983
03-02-2005, 02:06 AM
My only question is what's w/ the red shoes when there is absolutely NO red on his uniform.

Jerry may not like the fact that he'll have to buy the guy new cleats

Maybe those red hot 1989 Nike air force one give him horsepower.

mikehuff
03-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Is this guy a starter or a reliever? It also says in the Suntimes that the Dodgers are interested in this guy.

It seems like he a kind of Kyle Farnsworth type. Hard thrower with lack of control. I'm not a big fan of those guys. I hate walks.

petekat
03-02-2005, 12:10 PM
agree that offering this kid (Ozzie's terms) a contract could open up a pipeline for players from Asia. I think it's less about the money, and more about competing with the best, much the way Hockey and the NBA have become destinations for the world's best. Had friends visit from Korea two summers ago, aside from taking in Chicago sights, they made an immediate beeline for Wrigley to see Hee Seop choi, who even though only a rookie, had an avid fan base back in Korea. The Sox are quickly gaining that status overseas- intersting to see if the sprinkling of Japanese tourists we received last yr increases more this summer

and yeah, he's definitely the Korean Jonny Depp

SOXintheBURGH
03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050301&content_id=953857&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
As expected, he doesn't have the greatest control. :(:

Maybe he was just nervous to be throwing at Korean baseball legend Man Soo Lee?

jabrch
03-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Pretty soon our locker room will be like the United Nations. Now we will need translators from English, Spanish, Japanese, Korean and Guillen (Speaking Guillen is a language of its own :) ).

Players will have to all wear headsets to have Ozzie's instructuctions translated into whatever language they speak.

Jabroni
03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=7255
Latest News Mar. 2, 2005 - 1:37 pm et

Korean right-hander Sang Ho Moon was in White Sox camp for a tryout yesterday.
''He throws very hard,'' White Sox bullpen catcher Man Soo Lee said. ''His slider is very nice and his splitter is OK. After one year in the minors, maybe he could pitch here.'' If the 23-year-old Moon is signed, it would be to a minor league deal.

Source: Daily Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/022sd1.htm)
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/022sd1.htm
Foreign invasion

The biggest stir Tuesday wasn't the arrival of board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf at camp, but that of a mystery man from overseas.

Pitcher Sang Ho Moon, 23, took part in a 20-minute tryout in front of Guillen, pitching coach Don Cooper and general manager Ken Williams.

Team officials declined to comment, but bullpen catcher Man Soo Lee gave the tall right-hander a mostly favorable review. Like Moon, Lee is a native of South Korea.

"He throws very hard," Lee said of his fastball, one of which stuck in the cyclone backstop. "His slider is very nice and his splitter is OK. After one year in the minors, maybe he could pitch here."

According to Lee, Moon has been clocked as high as 94 mph. Moon spent two seasons with the OB Bears in the Korean League before he served a mandatory military commitment.

If Moon is signed, it will be to a minor league contract.

daveeym
03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
This photo needs to be captioned.

Hangar18
03-02-2005, 05:13 PM
My Korean friend at work has identified the hat Sang Ho Moon is wearing as a "Doosan Bears" hat. In Korea, all teams are named after their sponsor not the city they play in. Doosan is a company name. Apparently, even Hyundai has a team in Korea. My friend doesn't know too much about this pitcher though other than the team he plays for.

I agree with the "Korean Johnny Depp" comment as well.:D:

IN the United States, all teams bow to the Corporation they play for ......
your TRIBUNE Cubs!

Hangar18
03-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Wow, he's only 23 and he can throw 95 MPH with a splitter and a slider? I wanna see this guy in the minors. He's like the Korean version of Contreras.

NO WAY! I didnt know that ........ Talk about Flying under the radar with
this guy ......... heck yes, Id like to see him some more :cool:

ondafarm
03-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Don't you mean, "Down 2-0"? :wink:

No, actually I don't.

In east Asia they do it strikes then balls. Our "2-0" is "0-2" in Japan and Korea.

Baby Fisk
03-02-2005, 05:36 PM
IN the United States, all teams bow to the Corporation they play for ......
your TRIBUNE Cubs!

What would be the Sox corporate name?

Jabroni
03-02-2005, 06:14 PM
No, actually I don't.

In east Asia they do it strikes then balls. Our "2-0" is "0-2" in Japan and Korea.Cool, heh.

BigEdWalsh
03-02-2005, 06:20 PM
So, I'm just wondering.....Moon had a 20 minute workout yesterday. Now what? Is he still in camp? When might we hear if some decision has been made?:dunno:

Infallible
03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
he can't be any worse off than some of the other gems we've recently had. I'd like to see what else he an do with a little more work and some more time back in baseball after being absent.

Takatsufan
03-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know whether they have signed him or not?

delben91
03-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know whether they have signed him or not?

This was in today's Tribune, make of it what you will:

Free-agent Korean pitcher Sang-Ho Moon, who is scheduled for another bullpen session this week, spent most of Wednesday wearing White Sox gear, but he hasn't been signed yet.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050302soxbits,1,2102055.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

DaleJRFan
03-03-2005, 12:57 PM
What would be the Sox corporate name?

US Cellular White Sox

Jabroni
03-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Shingo and Iguchi are really helping the Sox standing with players from other parts of the world...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050303&content_id=956047&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
More to come: Sang-Ho Moon, the 23-year-old Korean free agent who worked out for the White Sox on Tuesday, will throw another side session on Friday at Tucson Electric Park. The hard-throwing right-hander would prefer to pitch for the White Sox, according to his representative Charles Yeh, despite interest from other teams. Yeh said that Moon feels comfortable with the White Sox and has a sense of appreciation toward Ray Poitevint, the White Sox's new international scout, who set up the initial tryout.

itsnotrequired
03-03-2005, 10:43 PM
I hear Kenny won't take the helmet off until Moon is on the team.

http://www.westwash.org/new/kenny.jpg

MS Paint work at its finest...:rolleyes:

Rocky Soprano
03-04-2005, 09:33 AM
I hear Kenny won't take the helmet off until Moon is on the team.

http://www.westwash.org/new/kenny.jpg

MS Paint work at its finest...:rolleyes:

Thats awesome, flying under the radar!

:roflmao:

Iguana775
03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Shingo and Iguchi are really helping the Sox standing with players from other parts of the world...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050303&content_id=956047&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I sure hope he is signed. if they can get his control under control, then he could be a surprise.

chez742002
03-05-2005, 03:00 AM
He said he has other teams looking to sign him, but he would prefer to sign with our WhiteSox!!! Good job scouts and staff, finally we are getting people to realize how good and first class our organization is. He has pride and that pride is SOX PRIDE, so even if he does not pan out with his talent, at least we know we are going to get the man's full effort all the time. Maybe we can send him in the game to hit Torre Hunter, Mark Prior, Kerry Wood and Zambrano. It will hurt!!! Then he should launch balls into the Cubs bleacher dorks and hope he picks each one off one at a time. that would be well worth a couple of hundred thousand dollars alone!!!
It looks like we have become the target of the Asian Pipeline or the Orient Express. Finally we are getting our due and we are delivering. I think the reason is we finally lost the services of Rob Gallas, the worst PR man in the history of American Sports Marketing!!

"We do not owe the fans anything, they owe us for putting the product on the field, so they can enjoy their favorite pasttime! What about what the fans owe us? That is the problem, they think we owe them everything and they do not have to show us any loyalty, that is a terrible way to treat a business that has been loyal to their customers. It really does not happen like that in any other business and that is wrong!" (Rob Gallas; after the 1994 strike and our chance to be World Champions)

That guy was a horse's patoot and did not do his job, he insulted all of us fans who love the Sox and all we want is a winning team that spends it's money top win. We want at least 1 title before we die.

EvilJester99
03-05-2005, 03:37 AM
Doesn't look like its going to happen....

It appears that Korean free-agent pitcher Sang-Ho Moon will try out for other teams.
Moon threw a bullpen session in front of a group that included scouting director Duane Shaffer, farm director Dave Wilder and pro scout Gary Pellant. But the Sox and Moon's representative differ widely on his projected role and value.
The Sox envision Moon as a reliever worth probably the equivalent of eighth-round money in the $70,000 range. Moon wants to start, and his representative is seeking a healthy six-figure bonus.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-05-2005, 03:49 AM
Well, a bit disappointed to hear that, but if the Sox felt differently about his ability, I'm glad they didn't give him what his agent was looking for. Who knows, we heard the same thing when Iguchi talks started up. Maybe in a week or two he'll sign with us!

spongyfungy
03-06-2005, 03:41 PM
That's too bad...I could have converted many Korean Cubs fans...oh well.

santo=dorf
03-06-2005, 03:53 PM
That's too bad...I could have converted many Korean Cubs fans...oh well.

Just tell them how the Cubs traded Hee Seop Choi out of town, and who Man Soo Lee is. :cool:

SweetHereafter
03-07-2005, 12:38 PM
No big loss. One of his pitches clocked as high as 94 mph? So what - Danny Wright hit 97-98 a few times, as did Kyle Kane, Jason Stumm, Lorenzo Barcelo, Joe Valentine, Bobby Jenks, etc.

The key to success is pinpoint control of your fastball and command of your breaking stuff. By all accounts, this Moon guy couldn't find the plate AT ALL. If he can't handle this kind of pressure, imagine what he'd do against ML? I am talking Arnie-Munoz-in-Montreal nightmare here.....

But hey, he's still cheap enough that Sox might have a change of heart. Either way, it's all good.