PDA

View Full Version : Some Love for Our Man

kevingrt
03-01-2005, 05:51 PM
In the recent Sporting News magazine, some love for our man, groundskeeper Roger Bossard, was given out. While talking about new free agent acquistion 2B Tadahito Iguchi, a MLB executive commented on how Iguchi will "get the truest outs in the game at home."

What love for Bossard, that guy works his arse off day in and day out

GiveMeSox
03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
In the recent Sporting News magazine, some love for our man, groundskeeper Roger Bossard, was given out. While talking about new free agent acquistion 2B Tadahito Iguchi, a MLB executive commented on how Iguchi will "get the truest outs in the game at home."

What love for Bossard, that guy works his arse off day in and day out

I dont get "get the truest outs in the game at home."? What does that mean or refer to.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I dont get "get the truest outs in the game at home."? What does that mean or refer to.Manipulating the field to favor the home team. The Bossard family has been doing this for the White Sox for years. Things like raising the baselines so opposing teams' base-stealing threats couldn't bunt down the lines. Or soaking the area around first base to hurt opposing base-stealers' leads. Stuff like that.

Since the MLB would find out about these practices nowadays, I would assume he means that he will keep the area around second base perfectly manicured for Iguchi. There won't be hills or divots around second base that will cause bad bounces on balls for Iguchi.

samram
03-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Manipulating the field to favor the home team. The Bossard family has been doing this for the White Sox for years. Things like raising the baselines so opposing teams' base-stealing threats couldn't bunt down the lines. Or soaking the area around first base to hurt opposing base-stealers' leads. Stuff like that.

Since the MLB would find out about these practices nowadays, I would assume he means that he will keep the area around second base perfectly manicured for Iguchi. There won't be hills or divots around second base that will cause bad bounces on balls for Iguchi.

Actually, "truest outs in the game" refers to there not being many bad hops because the field is so well maintained, which is the case all over that infield, not just around second base. The other stuff is gamesmanship, which not many in the game really like talking about.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Actually, "truest outs in the game" refers to there not being many bad hops because the field is so well maintained, which is the case all over that infield, not just around second base.Yeah buddy, I realize that. I was just responding to how Iguchi will get the "truest outs in the game."

SoxxoS
03-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Is this the same thing as the Twins using the Air Conditioning to their advantage?

NonetheLoaiza
03-01-2005, 07:08 PM
The Bossard family, while some have criticized them for "manipulating" the field, have kept Comiskey one of the best maintained parks in Major League Baseball. If I'm not mistake, Bossard is one of the best in the business when it comes to drainage systems, etc in ballparks.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2005, 10:10 PM
It's called 'gamesmenship...' nothing wrong with it.

The Sox have been doing it for years...things like freezing baseballs, to sloping the base lines inwards so the Sox bunts stayt fair, to stealing signs from the original Comiskey Park scoreboard, to as J.C. Martin told me in his WSI Interview, drilling two holes in front of home plate, sticking a hose down each and soaking the entire area from the bottom up. (That way the umpires wouldn't know what went on after fresh dirt was raked over the area) Any baseball hitting the home plate area immediately went dead and never got through the infield.

Speaking of infield, the Sox used to keep the grass high allowing their already stellar fielders like Aparicio, Fox, Hansen, Weis and so on to catch anything within reach.

Perfectly acceptable behavior. All teams do it, that's called 'home field advantage.'

Lip

mantis1212
03-01-2005, 10:36 PM
What the heck are you guys talking about? "Truest outs" in the game means a good, quality field with absolutely no bad hops. Iguchi gets to play 81 games there. That's it. That all he meant.

On another note, how does messing with the field like that give the home team an advantage? Last I checked, both teams take the field nine times a game. I guess knowing about them ahead of time, but that's about it.

Lip, I agree with all those "gamesmanship" aspects being perfectly acceptable EXCEPT stealing signs from the scoreboard. IMO that's just cheating. Guy on second stealing signs = OK. But not some guy (or some camera) in the outfield scoreboard.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Mantis:

Because for example the White Sox of the 50's and 60's were build on speed, defense and execution of 'little things (i.e. bunting, advancing runners, getting hit by pitches) to win games, that and pitching.

Teams like the Yanks, Tigers, Twins and Red Sox weren't known for their bunting ability were they? Throw in the frozen baseball's and you have a huge home field advantage to a team that wasn't built on hitting home runs to win. It was easy for the Sox to drop a bunt down when needed, that's the way they played. When Willie Horton, or Yaz or Harmon Killebrew needed to drop down a bunt they couldn't, that's not the way those teams played.

The Sox defense in those years was also much better then most other teams because of their overall speed again a big advantage at Comiskey Park due to the gamesmenship.

I'll just have to disagree with you on the sign stealing. To me there's no difference from second base or the scoreboard,it's still stealing signs.

Besides how many teams have been known to relay the catcher's signs to the hitter when they had a runner on second base...same difference.

Lip

Lip