PDA

View Full Version : Cubs, City Agree on deal to expand Wrigley

doublem23
03-01-2005, 05:09 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0503010108mar01,1,3185656.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

Bleachers over Waveland Ave. and the new building/parking garage across the street.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 05:16 PM
More room for the fans of the Lovable Losers to crowd.

Increased crowds + same number of troughs in the bathrooms = more urine in the Urinal

Kogs35
03-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Maybe the city is setting them up?:mad: :mad: whats going to happen when there 200 people in a bathroom that could only hold 50?

kittle42
03-01-2005, 06:28 PM
whats going to happen when there 200 in a bathroom that could only hold 50?

Grammar police!

FightingBillini
03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
I have seen the renderings, it looks horrible. The extra bleachers look ridiculous and out of place. That triangular parking garage thing looks like abstract art. It will look absolutley horrible. I am pissed at Daly for letting this happen. The place isnt structurally sound. If it is to be saved, large parts of it must be rebuilt. How can they be allowed to build on to a stadium that is falling apart without first rebulding it?:angry: :angry: :angry: Its like getting a $100 haircut for a ten cent whore.

Oh course, Moronotti was pleasuring himself over the radio when this renderings came out. "Once again... the Tribune Company got it right and the Sox didn't. Why cant they do something like this at the ballmall?" That triangular building has a catwalk on the roof that leads into the UD of the park, and he was saying how innovative and nice that is. This from the man who says the bridge across 35th from the ramps into Sox park is one of the ugliest most unwelcome pieces of architecture in the world.:mad:

The absolute worst part of this all, the media morons will CONTINUE to worship the Urinal even though it is a clash of two styles of architecture (Soldier Field, anyone?). Party at my place the day it finally falls apart!!!

nccwsfan
03-01-2005, 06:33 PM
http://hillquest.com/images/pig-lipstick.jpg

At the end of the day, it's still the urinal....

cubhater
03-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Maybe the city is setting them up?:mad: :mad: whats going to happen when there 200 in a bathroom that could only hold 50?

Just take a look at Soldier Field. The bathroom lines are just as bad even after the renovation. Get in line for the sink and trash cans.

wsoxfan
03-01-2005, 09:24 PM
anyone have a link to that shows how even more ridiculous that piece of crap stadium is gonna look? i wanna see the design of the new "modern urnial"....

Whitesox029
03-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Grammar police!
My homemade tag should become your own personal tag, kittle. I bequeath it to you! It's somewhere on the test board if you want it.
As for this thread...
:whocares:

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Googling it came up with a few pics from the Chicago Tribune. Looks like crap IMO, but it'll be more convenient for people who drive to the urinal. It won't matter to me though, since I have no plans of ever going to Wrigley Field..
link (http://www.wrigleyexpansion.com/php/photos.php)

SOXintheBURGH
03-01-2005, 10:53 PM
I am pissed at Daly for letting this happen.

The absolute worst part of this all, the media morons will CONTINUE to worship the Urinal even though it is a clash of two styles of architecture (Soldier Field, anyone?). Party at my place the day it finally falls apart!!!

Daly knows what he's doing... when that building finally collapses its just a few more hundred Cubs fans saying "Oooooooh Nooooo!"

SoxFan76
03-01-2005, 10:57 PM
And so continues the collapse of Wrigley along with the Cubs fanbase. Daly is a genius!

Fake Chet Lemon
03-01-2005, 11:10 PM
It would really be a shame if the bleacher construction somehow killed all of the ivy. One could only hope. That would be treated like 9-11 in this goofy town. The coverage would be non-stop. But now that I've thought it out, I hope nothing happens. The ivy coverage would make me sick (who is it that has the picture of the guy projectile vomiting, needed right now).

FightingBillini
03-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Googling Looks like crap IMO, but it'll be more convenient for people who drive to the urinal.

No, it wont. It will be even more of a cluster ****. First of all, there are only 1 or 2 hundered parking spots in the building. Most importantly, traffic getting out of that garage will be HORRIBLE. A couple hundred cars all trying to exit at the same time onto the same street will be madness. Now, equate into that the drunken fools who casually stroll across the street and block cars. With all those morons in the streets, the last car wont be able to leave that garage for probably 2 hours after the game.

NSSoxFan
03-01-2005, 11:42 PM
The mayor of Chicago is Daley, not Daly.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-02-2005, 12:09 AM
No, it wont. It will be even more of a cluster ****. First of all, there are only 1 or 2 hundered parking spots in the building. Most importantly, traffic getting out of that garage will be HORRIBLE. A couple hundred cars all trying to exit at the same time onto the same street will be madness. Now, equate into that the drunken fools who casually stroll across the street and block cars. With all those morons in the streets, the last car wont be able to leave that garage for probably 2 hours after the game.
Very true, parking garages are even a mess at places such as a mall, I can't even imagine how it'll be at the urinal. I was thinking of the convenience of a parking garage vs parking in some guy's driveway for a ridiculous amount. I'm not too sure how parking works at the urinal because I haven't been there, but I've heard it's a pain in the rear and it's much easier to use public transportation. With the limited amount of space in this parking garage, the Tribune will probably call it Premium Parking(ala their scalping service) or some crap and charge $100 to park. :rolleyes:

MUsoxfan
03-02-2005, 12:17 AM
With the limited amount of space in this parking garage, the Tribune will probably call it Premium Parking(ala their scalping service) or some crap and charge $100 to park. :rolleyes:

Indeed. People already charge $30-$35 to park in a lot where you don't have E-Z out. That garage will be at least $45

FightingBillini
03-02-2005, 12:34 AM
The mayor of Chicago is Daley, not Daly.

Are we gonna start the typo police now?

A.T. Money
03-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Just take a look at Soldier Field. The bathroom lines are just as bad even after the renovation. Get in line for the sink and trash cans.

I've never had an issue with the Soldier Field bathrooms. My season tickets are in section 432, and I've walked right in, and right out.

FightingBillini
03-02-2005, 12:39 AM
I stand correted, on Sportsnite they said that the garage will hold 400 cars. That is even worse. There cant be any more than two exits, because all the entering and exiting will be done onto the same street (unless the renderings are changed). That means that there will be 200 cars waiting to get through one exit. Like I said, factor in all the people in the streets, and the 10-15 beers each of them consumed, so they will be standing around and strolling leisurely like the drunken yuppy scum they are.
You might as well take the L downtown after the game and go shopping, because you arent gonna get out of that parking garage for AT LEAST 4 hours.

Viva Medias B's
03-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Daly [sic] knows what he's doing... when that building finally collapses its just a few more hundred Cubs fans saying "Oooooooh Nooooo!"

Is that Chuck Daly or Joel Daly? Da Mare is Richard M. Daley.

FightingBillini
03-02-2005, 12:52 AM
After reading about it, I am REALLY pissed at Daley on this one. The Cubs will to pay only $2.2 mil for the land that the parking garage will be built on. The land was formerly owned by a railroad, and the city has been letting the Cubs use it free of charge for many years as a parking lot for team personel. I dont know what rent would be estimated at for that much land at that location. I dont remember the exact numbers, but I believe the land Chicago is selling the Cubs is valued at well over $20mil. It's good to see the city protecting its assets. More than that, I remember reading before that since the land was formerly owned by a railroad, it can never be privately owned. I guess the city it looking the other way on that one, too.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

hsnterprize
03-02-2005, 09:14 AM
I have seen the renderings, it looks horrible. The extra bleachers look ridiculous and out of place. That triangular parking garage thing looks like abstract art. It will look absolutley horrible. I am pissed at Daly for letting this happen. The place isnt structurally sound. If it is to be saved, large parts of it must be rebuilt. How can they be allowed to build on to a stadium that is falling apart without first rebulding it?:angry: :angry: :angry: Its like getting a $100 haircut for a ten cent whore.

Hey...wait a minute. This I think is the point. Let the Cubs rebuild Wrigley however they want. I remember seeing fans upset at the initial renderings and designs of the expansion and such. They'll be PISSED when everything is put up, and they're be BEGGING for a new stadium.

Remember, local activists and such fought tooth and nail to keep the Cubs from expanding their ballpark initially. That's why Wrigley was designated a "landmark"...in order to make it harder to build on the "pristine" and "purity" of the Urinal. Now that the Cubs are basically getting what they want, we'll see how the "fans" react to seeing what will basically be a shopping mall and parking garage built right outside the "Friendly Confines." Remember..."real" Cubs fans love Wrigley Field just like it is...anything else, and it'll be like "Comiskey."

:roflmao: :rolling: :roflmao: :rolling: :roflmao:

The absolute worst part of this all, the media morons will CONTINUE to worship the Urinal even though it is a clash of two styles of architecture (Soldier Field, anyone?).

That may be true since the main part of Wrigley will virtually be untouched. However, when progress finally hits that joint, the myth of "beautiful Wrigley Field" will continually fall as fast as the concrete falling from the upper deck. It's only a matter of time before the Urinal becomes condo property.

hsnterprize
03-02-2005, 09:16 AM
After reading about it, I am REALLY pissed at Daley on this one. The Cubs will to pay only $2.2 mil for the land that the parking garage will be built on. The land was formerly owned by a railroad, and the city has been letting the Cubs use it free of charge for many years as a parking lot for team personel. I dont know what rent would be estimated at for that much land at that location. I dont remember the exact numbers, but I believe the land Chicago is selling the Cubs is valued at well over $20mil. It's good to see the city protecting its assets. More than that, I remember reading before that since the land was formerly owned by a railroad, it can never be privately owned. I guess the city it looking the other way on that one, too.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Remember...this is the same mayor who will give a company land for $1 if it knows the company will be profitable for the city. I've seen it happen many times at City Council meetings. And basically...if a company wants land for something, and the city can pull the strings...the land is open to whoever wants it.

Think about that when the Sox decide to build a new ballpark...cool?

SSN721
03-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Well from the renderings, the extensions almost make it look like temporary seating, The architecture doesnt fit at all. I dont necessarily mind the clashing, as I kind of like SOldier Field so I would be a hypocrite to say I hate how it is done at wrigley. The garage as many have stated would be more of a nuisance then a help. When I lived a couple blocks away from the Urinal last year, I just rememember that waveland, clark, addison, sheffield, grace, belmont, Irving were all jammed after games, this will only add to the problem by letting 400 more cares in this cramped are as I am sure the spots freed up by garage parkers will just be taken up by other fans dumb enough to drive to the game there. Might as well rent an apartment in the area during the season for what you woul dhave to pay for parking over the course of a season there.

Baby Fisk
03-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Seriously, why don't the Cubs just build a new stadium? If the whole point of Cubs Baseball is the festivity of being in a packed stadium and drinking (with occasional references to baseball), why not just build the World's Biggest Beer Garden (with baseball field)?

daveeym
03-02-2005, 11:04 AM
That actually looks pretty sweet if you took out wrigley. First of all it's a mall. Extra revenue for the city there. In season those 400 spots are actually only going to be about 200 since half of those spots will be for players, management, etc. Out of season it's a 300 or so spot parking garage for the area. They are also paying some ridiculous amount for new stop lights at clark and addison. I think the city is making out huge here.

doublem23
03-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Seriously, why don't the Cubs just build a new stadium? If the whole point of Cubs Baseball is the festivity of being in a packed stadium and drinking (with occasional references to baseball), why not just build the World's Biggest Beer Garden (with baseball field)?

Because the Tribune's not stupid. They know that the novelty of a game at Wrigley Field is part of the alure of the Cubs. They don't pack Iowans in buses like sardines to see the players, they come to see the ivy, the manual scoreboard, and to pee in the Urinals, just to relive what it must have felt like to watch baseball during the Depression or whatever.

Obviously, if the Cubs built a new stadium, they would still be a major draw, but their fanbase would slowly erode each year as they removed themselves further and further from Wrigley Field.

JMO.