Rowand
Crede
Uribe

BridgePortNative
03-01-2005, 01:53 PM
...... and against left-handers????

Foulke You
03-01-2005, 02:00 PM
I like the lineup however, I think I would flip flop Everett and Dye. I think Dye could put up some monster numbers at our park especially batting in front of Paulie where he'll likely see some good pitches to hit. Not to take anything away from Carl, he is a good hitter too. Just a personal opinion.

Ozzie probably did that because he didn't want 2 lefty batters back to back in the lineup (Everett and AJ). You could prevent that by sandwiching those two around Rowand. My lineup against rightys would be like this:

Podsednik
Iguchi
Dye
Konerko
Everett
Rowand
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe

Ol' No. 2
03-01-2005, 02:26 PM
I like the lineup however, I think I would flip flop Everett and Dye. I think Dye could put up some monster numbers at our park especially batting in front of Paulie where he'll likely see some good pitches to hit. Not to take anything away from Carl, he is a good hitter too. Just a personal opinion.

Ozzie probably did that because he didn't want 2 lefty batters back to back in the lineup (Everett and AJ). You could prevent that by sandwiching those two around Rowand. My lineup against rightys would be like this:

Podsednik
Iguchi
Dye
Konerko
Everett
Rowand
Pierzynski
Crede
UribeThis is against RHP. Against LHP Everett and Dye could switch.

BRDSR
03-01-2005, 02:37 PM
As reported on the Score:

Podsednik
Iguchi
Everett
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

Is anyone else a little miffed about Rowand batting 7th? Or, if I wanted to say what I'm really thinking, does anyone else think this is downright asinine? He's the only player that batted over .300 at .310 last season and in fact batted .315 against right-handers. If we didn't have a myriad of two-spot hitters(Iguchi, Uribe, and Rowand) I would advocate batting him 2nd. With the other two vying for the two spot, I would probably bat Rowand 3rd as the man responsible for driving in Pods and Tad when they get on and steal second. Everett is a dice-roll at this point(although the news on his health is encouraging) and Konerko is the type of power hitter you want batting fourth. My lineup would look like this:

Podsednik
Iguchi
Rowand
Konerko
Dye
Everett
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe

I like Uribe in the nine spot because the bottom of the lineup has more speed to it and it avoid clogging up the basepaths when the lineup turns over to Pods. However, I can't imagine Ozzie starting Rowand in the 7 spot and if he does I think he'll change his mind fast.

On a side note, does this seem like a strange thing to be reporting so early in the course of the season?

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 02:38 PM
I agree with this lineup. I hated Dye in the #3 hole against righties. Everett is a better left-handed hitter than he is a righty. He can kill right-handers. Hitting 3rd would be too much pressure for Dye and he is better in the 4th or 5th spot.

I also love Uribe in the #9 spot. He can continue the speed from the bottom to the top of the order.

#9 Uribe
#1 Podsednik
#2 Iguchi

Rowand batting 7th seems pretty low but he sure does improve the weak bottom of the lineup (Crede).

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
While I love Dye, you guys seem to be giving too much credit to Dye and not enough to Everett...

Carl Everett (career stats) (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5073/career)
.277 career AVG
.348 career OBP
.473 career SLG
.820 career OPS

Jermaine Dye (career stats) (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5610/career)
.272 career AVG
.334 career OBP
.463 career SLG
.797 career OPS

Also, Everett is much better against right-handed pitching than Dye...

Carl Everett (vs. right-handed pitching) (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5073/splits?year=career&type=Batting)
.286 career AVG
.360 career OBP
.503 career SLG
.863 career OPS

Jermaine Dye (vs. right-handed pitching) (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5610/splits?year=career&type=Batting)
.268 career AVG
.327 career OBP
.463 career SLG
.790 career OPS

Crazy Carl is being set up to have a MONSTER year.

idseer
03-01-2005, 02:55 PM
i think i'd switch aaron and iguchi ... at least until iguchi confirms he can hit major league pitching.
otherwise i have no problem with that line up. it's a strong lineup and aaron at 7th makes us dangerous all through it.

idseer
03-01-2005, 02:55 PM
While I love Dye, you guys seem to be giving too much credit to Dye and not enough to Everett...

Jermaine Dye (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=113679)
.272 career AVG
.334 career OBP

Carl Everett (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=113946)
.277 career AVG
.348 career OBP

otoh ... they both need to prove themselves.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
otoh ... they both need to prove themselves.Well, Carl's career numbers aren't bad at all in my opinion but he damn sure doesn't need to prove himself against righties...

Carl Everett (vs. right-handed pitching) (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5073/splits?year=career&type=Batting)
.286 career AVG
.360 career OBP
.503 career SLG
.863 career OPS

:supernana:

Ol' No. 2
03-01-2005, 03:08 PM

Jermaine Dye (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=113679)
.272 career AVG
.334 career OBP

Carl Everett (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=113946)
.277 career AVG
.348 career OBPAnd remember, this is against right handed pitching, where Everett has a significant advantage.

OEO Magglio
03-01-2005, 03:08 PM

Podsednik
Iguchi
Everett
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Rowand
Crede
Uribe
I like that lineup. Looks good to me.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 03:09 PM
And remember, this is against right handed pitching, where Everett has a significant advantage.Look at my post again (edit). :wink:

I think the only thing that will prevent Carl from knocking in 100 RBI's this year in the #3 spot will be Frank's return and that damn sure isn't a bad thing.

balke
03-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Everett to Konerko? that's bad. I want a speedy 1,2,3. Rowand should be our 3-man until he proves he can't do what he did last season. Put the Slow power in the 4-5-6 spot. I also wouldn't mind keeping this if we switched out Iguchi w/ A-row. Iguchi has to earn his stripes.

idseer
03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Well, Carl's career numbers aren't bad at all in my opinion but he damn sure doesn't need to prove himself against righties...

.286 career AVG
.360 career OBP
.503 career SLG
.863 career OPS

:supernana:

he need's to prove he's not washed up imo jabroni.

losing weight is fine but it doesn't mean he'll be any better than last season. time will tell.

OEO Magglio
03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Everett to Konerko? that's bad. I want a speedy 1,2,3. Rowand should be our 3-man until he proves he can't do what he did last season. Put the Slow power in the 4-5-6 spot. I also wouldn't mind keeping this if we switched out Iguchi w/ A-row. Iguchi has to earn his stripes.
Carl is in great shape and he's not a slow guy.

batmanZoSo
03-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Although a fully panned-out Iguchi is an ideal number two hitter because of speed and what not, that hasn't happened yet. I love Rowand's contact and on-base in the two hole and he's proven himself. I'd put Iguchi 9th...no pressure, just get adjusted to MLB pitching and then we'll see where he fits. For now, this is what my lineup would be...

Podsednik
Rowand
Everett
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Uribe
Crede
Iguchi

This way you still have the two speed-burners hitting back to back a lot of the time...just not in the first inning. And Uribe has too much power to be hitting 9th.

PAPChiSox729
03-01-2005, 03:37 PM
I also wouldn't mind keeping this if we switched out Iguchi w/ A-row. Iguchi has to earn his stripes.

I agree. I think it may take Iguchi a month or so to adjust to MLB pitching. Let Rowand bat second until Iguchi is comfortable.

OEO Magglio
03-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Although a fully panned-out Iguchi is an ideal number two hitter because of speed and what not, that hasn't happened yet. I love Rowand's contact and on-base in the two hole and he's proven himself. I'd put Iguchi 9th...no pressure, just get adjusted to MLB pitching and then we'll see where he fits. For now, this is what my lineup would be...

Podsednik
Rowand
Everett
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Uribe
Crede
Iguchi

This way you still have the two speed-burners hitting back to back a lot of the time...just not in the first inning. And Uribe has too much power to be hitting 9th.

Iguchi was brought in to bat at the top of the order. Aaron needs to be down in the order somewhere to drive guys in. Aaron can't bunt, he's not the greatest at moving runners along, he needs to be driving them in, not moving them over.

Jjav829
03-01-2005, 03:45 PM
I would hope Ozzie hasn't actually made up his mind on what his lineup will be during the regular season before the team has even played a ST game.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this, though. If Rowand hits .500 for the spring and Iguchi hits .190, you damn well better believe Rowand will be hitting higher and Iguchi lower.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Everett to Konerko? that's bad. I want a speedy 1,2,3. Rowand should be our 3-man until he proves he can't do what he did last season. Put the Slow power in the 4-5-6 spot. I also wouldn't mind keeping this if we switched out Iguchi w/ A-row. Iguchi has to earn his stripes.Konerko is as slow as an injured turtle but Everett isn't. Everett has some speed and he stole a few bases in his prime. The reason he was slow last season was because he was overweight and hobbled with injuries. I don't think that will be a problem this year. Everett is healthy and he has lost 20 pounds.
he need's to prove he's not washed up imo jabroni.

losing weight is fine but it doesn't mean he'll be any better than last season. time will tell.We will see if a healthy, in-shape Everett can put up numbers similar to his 2003. I think he can do it, especially in a contract year.

mjharrison72
03-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Podsednik
Rowand
Everett
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Uribe
Crede
Iguchi

This is the best freaking idea in this whole thread. There is no way in hell I want Rowand anywhere in the bottom half of the order... that's insane.
Here's to hoping Ozzie comes to his senses and realizes Iguchi has to take some time to adjust and would be a great hitter out of the nine-spot; in that case, Rowand becomes more of a #3 hitter after the first inning, with a chance to drive in one (or two) of our speediest guys. And I also agree with hitting Uribe 7th. Of course, part of the problem that happens every year, especially last year, is there's too much tinkering with the lineup. I really hope Ozzie comes up with something like this for at least the first part of the season against righties. And I assume you switch Dye and Everett around against Lefties for now? Brilliant.
Start the season!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Fake Chet Lemon
03-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Rowand has to move up in the order. Lee and Ordonez had power, but they also hit 300. We may miss that more than their power. We HAVE TO get Rowand's 300+ average higher than #7!

mjharrison72
03-01-2005, 04:02 PM
And who said Rowand can't bunt? I don't think any member of last year's bunting skills were ever on display, unless it was Valentin putting on a how NOT to bunt clinic.

On a side note, is there any place online where you can get statistics on the number of successful sac bunts/flies a player made in a season? I'd be interested to see.
-M

batmanZoSo
03-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Iguchi was brought in to bat at the top of the order. Aaron needs to be down in the order somewhere to drive guys in. Aaron can't bunt, he's not the greatest at moving runners along, he needs to be driving them in, not moving them over.

Rowand is not a superior run producer and probably never will be. He's pretty much a 25 homer 80 rbi guy no matter where he bats. I don't think batting him second takes away from his potential at all.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
And who said Rowand can't bunt? I don't think any member of last year's bunting skills were ever on display, unless it was Valentin putting on a how NOT to bunt clinic.

On a side note, is there any place online where you can get statistics on the number of successful sac bunts/flies a player made in a season? I'd be interested to see.
-MRowand even said he was not a good bunter last season. When he tried to bunt he usually failed. He was admittedly embarrassed so he worked hard on his bunting during last season and this offseason. I think he said this in an interview on ESPN 1000 or in a WhiteSox.com article.

OG4LIFE
03-01-2005, 04:16 PM
wow. im pretty suprised no one has even brought up willie 'hall of fame' harris in a lineup exclusively against RHP....

if iguchi struggles early to adjust to MLB play, i could see subbing in willie vs RHP, as his #'s are pretty decent vs RHP:

.279 Avg
.366 OBP
.701 OPS (who cares, he wouldnt be in the lineup to drive in runs, just get on)

47 walks, 60 strikeouts in 337 official ab's.

he would be a decent plug in for iguchi when we face RHP, especially in april and may when iguchi adjusts.

Jabroni
03-01-2005, 04:19 PM
wow. im pretty suprised no one has even brought up willie 'hall of fame' harris in a lineup exclusively against RHP....

if iguchi struggles early to adjust to MLB play, i could see subbing in willie vs RHP, as his #'s are pretty decent vs RHP:

.279 Avg
.366 OBP
.701 OPS (who cares, he wouldnt be in the lineup to drive in runs, just get on)

47 walks, 60 strikeouts in 337 official ab's.

he would be a decent plug in for iguchi when we face RHP, especially in april and may when iguchi adjusts.Good point but I think the writing has been on the wall for Willie ever since the Sox signed Iguchi. They aren't paying Iguchi starter's money to sit versus righties. I think Willie will be traded before the season starts, unless of course he can show that he can play SS which I'm highly doubtful of.

Ol' No. 2
03-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Good point, but I think the writing had been on the wall ever since the Sox signed Iguchi. They aren't paying Iguchi starter's money to sit versus righties. I think Willie will be traded before the season starts, unless of course he can show that he can play SS which I'm highly doubtful of.They haven't played their first ST game yet. I would say that any lineup at this point should be written in chalk. It almost certainly won't look like the opening day lineup.

RKMeibalane
03-01-2005, 04:27 PM
...... and against left-handers????

He's going to use Jerry Manuel's Southpaw Wrecking Crew lineup.

balke
03-01-2005, 04:33 PM
They haven't played their first ST game yet. I would say that any lineup at this point should be written in chalk. It almost certainly won't look like the opening day lineup.

Its Ozzie, when is the lineup NOT written in chalk? :tongue: It's been chalk for several seasons now :(:

I can't bring myself to have great hope for Everett. I'm glad he's lost weight, I'm glad he's over his injuries, but I can't imagine him producing what we want out of the 3 spot this season. Hopefully I eat my hat on that.

I hope Willie sticks around, and has the opportunity to step-up this season. We can't just dump him IMO. If uribe pulls something, or Iguchi.. we gotta have some kind of back-up. With Willie coming in, I don't think we'd miss them very much. If we have to rely on someone like Valdez to come in, we will miss them greatly.

COME ON BASEBALL, GET HERE!!!

MRKARNO
03-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Ozzie on Aaron vs Podsednik in left:

:ozzie
"I think I'm going to put Aaron in Left field for the most part and put Podsednik in center to ease the wear and tear on Aaron."

A week later...

"Well Aaron did such a good job in center last year, it would be hard not to start him in center, so he'll probably be in center."

A few days later...

"Well I think there's still a chance that Aaron might be moved to Left Field. I haven't closed the door on that yet."

The quote were paraphrased versions of things he actually said. Keep that in mind when looking at something as complex as the batting order. You're nuts if you don't think he's going to change it at least a few more times before the season starts and few times per month.

Whitesox029
03-01-2005, 05:04 PM
My lineup against rightys would be like this:

Podsednik
Iguchi
Dye
Konerko
Everett
Rowand
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe
I like this suggestion a lot. Ozzie's got a whole month so he'll proabably do some tooling around. I would imagine he's going to start our real lineup for a lot of ST games since we don't really have any position battles. I'm sure the reserves will get some starts though too. Non-roster guys will probably end up subbing in later innings. I like what he's doing with Adkins. Never hurts to have extra backup in case of injury.

Bucky F. Dent
03-01-2005, 07:09 PM
i think i'd switch aaron and iguchi ... at least until iguchi confirms he can hit major league pitching.
otherwise i have no problem with that line up. it's a strong lineup and aaron at 7th makes us dangerous all through it.

I agree with that completely. Until Tad shows that he can hit major league pitching, he should not be at the top of the lineup. Between Rowand and Pods its six to one, half dozen to the other on the one two spots, IMHO.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-01-2005, 08:50 PM

Podsednik
Iguchi
Everett
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

Why not Rowand # 3? Unless there's a stat that I don't know about, Juanito/Podzilla/Gooch/Row-Row hitting consecutively would be an amazing combination of speed and power (minus podzilla in power category). You can hit and run everytime and just completely take the game over.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
03-01-2005, 11:44 PM
*** is everett doing batting 3rd??!?!?!

you're losing my confidence ozzie.....

BRDSR
03-02-2005, 01:18 AM
The quote were paraphrased versions of things he actually said. Keep that in mind when looking at something as complex as the batting order. You're nuts if you don't think he's going to change it at least a few more times before the season starts and few times per month.

Haha, you're right. As much as I like Ozzie as the manager and as much as I appreciate the fire and character to this team that Manuel and Bevington lacked for a decade before him, he's still a little slow in the actual managing department. Does anyone remember his right arm/left arm fiasco last season and having to pitch Politte instead of Marte against a lefty?(I think that was the situation) There are definitely a few areas that Ozzie can improve in.